Dec 7, 2011 at 2:29 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Better idea, why don't we switch to newspeak
it is plussimple!

Dec 7, 2011 at 2:32 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Txt speak is objectively technically more efficient than standard English because it conveys more in less characters; it just carries a stigma of the user being 12/uneducated/stupid/whatever and most people aren't used to it enough to read/write it as fluently as standard English, unfortunately.

It's silly to consider the current form of the language the only "right" one.

Dec 7, 2011 at 2:57 AM
Been here way too long...
we shouldn't reinstate thorn because it's a pain

Dec 7, 2011 at 3:04 AM
inside is yello
"..."
sirtophat said:
Why don't we all just reinstate thou, ye, the long s, and the thorn?

Because people get ye confused with thou. Ye is the colloquial pronoun for the plural second person. In other words, when you write "ye", it means "You all". Thou, on the other hand, is the pronoun for the singular second person. (Or "you.")

Dec 7, 2011 at 3:28 AM
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
Trust is when you expect someone to do something without being asked to, the something in question depending on the person. For example, I trust that Shimmy will use proper grammar, or I trust that you, royaltyler, will make amazing threads such as this.

Dec 7, 2011 at 4:11 AM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Dunc2403 said:
For example, I trust that Shimmy will use proper grammar,

Yeah I was waiting with bated breath for him to make a super intellectual post in this thread.

Dec 7, 2011 at 4:31 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Phanteon11 said:
What is Trust? Baby, don't hurt me, don't hurt me , no more. (Electric Piano Solo)
Beat me to it I see. :rolleyes:

Dec 7, 2011 at 4:54 AM
Wedge of Cheese said:
I must admit, Fab, I was expecting something a bit more sarcastic/dark/condescending when I saw you had posted here :rolleyes:. I don't know whether to be disappointed or proud.

I'm so sorry guys. I was really in a rush. I did not have time to think of a better response, and now the moment has passed.

Rest assured I will redeem myself.

On the topic at hand: we should definitely try to change a language spoken by hundreds of millions of people. I don't know why no one's thought of that before.

Dec 7, 2011 at 6:35 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
Captain Fabulous said:
we should definitely try to change a language spoken by hundreds of millions of people. I don't know why no one's thought of that before.

They Have.

Dec 7, 2011 at 7:19 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
sirtophat said:
Txt speak is objectively technically more efficient than standard English because it conveys more in less characters; it just carries a stigma of the user being 12/uneducated/stupid/whatever and most people aren't used to it enough to read/write it as fluently as standard English, unfortunately.
I should note that chatspeak is too inconsistant to be viable as a language, which actually makes it less efficient. One word in English may be represented in ten different ways in chatspeak. This means that the only way to understand chatspeak is by translating it to proper English in your mind, which requires a fairly good understanding of English if you are not a native speaker. Chatspeak is only there to make you do the work that someone else was too lazy to do.

Dec 7, 2011 at 7:32 AM
cultr1 said:

I said change, not regulate. The changes we were talking about were major enough that you'd never get people to adopt them any time soon. Yes, I knew about L'Académie française, and how it's been around for 376 years.

Dec 7, 2011 at 2:01 PM
Shimmyzmizz said:
Because people get ye confused with thou. Ye is the colloquial pronoun for the plural second person. In other words, when you write "ye", it means "You all". Thou, on the other hand, is the pronoun for the singular second person. (Or "you.")

I was obviously being sarcastic because trying to forcefully reinstate old English as common would be stupid

Actually I've been slightly sarcastic this whole time who'd have thought I might even be right now and now it's getting too meta

Dec 7, 2011 at 2:44 PM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Term trust Definition: An organizational structure that gives control over several business firms, usually in the same industry, to a single board of trustees with the purpose of monopolizing a market. :muscledoc:

Dec 7, 2011 at 3:54 PM
"Huzzah!"
Trust is basically knowing that if you were extremely vurnerable in one way or another that the person that you trust would not take advantage of you.

This is very vague, so i'll use the "trust fall" exercise as an example.

You let yourself fall backwards with someone close by behind you. The idea is that if you have trust in them you can fall like that and know they will catch you, rather than stepping back and lauging at you as you fall on the ground.

A more relevant example is knowing that someone wouldnt take your cash if you left your wallet on the table. It's basically about being close to someone to the extent you think they will always support you, even when it's tempting or profitable to take advantage.

Dec 7, 2011 at 9:27 PM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Honesty and respect.

Dec 7, 2011 at 9:46 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
But what if you don't trust someone, and you honestly and respectfully tell them so?

Dec 7, 2011 at 10:23 PM
andwhyisit said:
I should note that chatspeak is too inconsistant to be viable as a language, which actually makes it less efficient. One word in English may be represented in ten different ways in chatspeak.

Late response, the same can be said about "normal" English in many cases. Buffalo Buffalo buffalo Buffalo Buffalo, their/they're/there and your/you're being pronounced the same, it's all about context.

andwhyisit cont. said:
This means that the only way to understand chatspeak is by translating it to proper English in your mind, which requires a fairly good understanding of English if you are not a native speaker. Chatspeak is only there to make you do the work that someone else was too lazy to do.

This is only because you're used to it being written as it is now. It's not inherent in the writing itself. If you grew up with all of the letters backwards you'd think it's normal and have to "translate" reading our "normal" writing.

Dec 8, 2011 at 1:30 AM
No, chatspeak has all the problems inherent in normal English, and then the problem of it not being consistent. lol lawl lul

Dec 8, 2011 at 1:37 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
sirtophat said:
Buffalo Buffalo buffalo Buffalo Buffalo, their/they're/there and your/you're being pronounced the same, it's all about context.

Why did you write Buffalo 5 times? It's spelled exactly the same every time you write it too.