What if Cave Story were FPS? (ala Metroid Prime)

May 4, 2011 at 1:26 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Metroid inspired Cave Story, as we probably all know. With its side-scrolling action, free-roaming adventure and silent protagonist, it left an impression on a young game programmer's mind, one that would metastasize into the game we all know and love, Cave Story.

So when Metroid turned to 3D with the release of Metroid Prime, it did so in a fashion I hope most of you know of. They made the game in first person, preserving every aspect of what made the game so great in the first place.

So if one 2D action-adventure game made it to first person, what stops its spiritual successor from doing the same?

It is this thought, my fellow Cave Story aficioniados, that brings me to:
CAVE STORY FPS

It preserves every variable in the game's formula, but presents through the eyes of its protagonist. Several enhancements are in order for the transition to 3D, but they shall improve on the already-stellar gameplay of the original Cave Story. Features such as aiming down the sights of your weapon, finishing moves, quick-dodging, Missiles that seek the cursor, melee moves (Blade or blunt), and alt-fire modes to echo the alternate functions of the original weapons.

What are your ideas on this thought of mine?

-----
The weapons of Cave Story FPS (As I see them):

POLAR STAR: A basic plasma pistol, very reliable but relatively weak. (No alt-fire.)
MACHINE GUN: A rapid fire rifle, accurate out to distances as reflected by the presence of a red-dot sight atop the weapon. (Alt-fire: Hover)
SNAKE: An improvement upon the standard Polar Star, capable of shooting through solid objects. (Alt-fire: X-Ray Scope)
SPUR: The most powerful build upon the versatile Polar Star platform, this gives its user a very compact turbolaser cannon provided its user charges it up enough. (Alt-fire: Dual Wield with Nemesis)
MISSILE LAUNCHER: A standard rocket launcher, with limited ammunition. (Alt-fire: Lock Onto Target)
SUPER MISSILE LAUNCHER: Powerup of the original Missile Launcher, preserving the exact same functionality, however amplified.
FIREBALL: A grenade launcher type weapon that sends incendiary projectiles bouncing along the ground to the target. (Alt-fire: Spreader)
BUBBLER: A bubble gun. Its uses are varied and may very well serve a skilled user. (Alt-fire: Bubble Shield)
BLADE: A sword with King's soul within. King can cast phantasms of himself at enemies, but this requires massive amounts of energy. (Alt-fire: Parry/Riposte)
NEMESIS: A lightning cannon that works better the more damage it receives. (Alt-fire: Dual Wield with Spur)

May 4, 2011 at 9:10 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
*imagines getting knocked down by Toroko and looking up getting hit with a stick repeatedly*:(

*imagines doing a look slightly up behind me and seeing Curly Brace right at my back, she looks at me and does a thumbs up*

*imagines how difficult jetpacking might be in 3d with the same physics*

*imagines keeping the current slow physics and applying them in a 3d world... :momo:*

*imagines finding Curly's panties in 3d!*

*imagines waking up in a bed next to Cha...*
AHH!

May 4, 2011 at 12:11 PM
Been here way too long...
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Bet you don't read this line of text.

CAVE STORY FPS
Nice idea. But I came up with it first.

There'd be something like this:
PROS:
- New experience.
- Could make a few CS addicts interested in the original game.
- Highly detailed guns!

CONS:
- Gameplay won't transite very well.
- Stage design would neither.
- Retroness fame and FPS isn't compatible.

May 4, 2011 at 6:25 PM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Re: Bet you don't read this line of text.

Are you kidding? Nicalis is simply putting 3D graphics on a 2D game, and people are acting like it's the end of the world. If you changed Cave Story's genre, it would be a different game entirely.
Probably not a very good game.

May 4, 2011 at 9:29 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Yeah fabs right, Cave Story isn't going to be made into these completly different game just because it's going "3D" (but really it's only 2.5D).
And if by any one in a million chance Cave Story does get made into an FPS, they probably wouldn't be able to implement it correctly wether it'd be the story or gameplay.

May 4, 2011 at 10:27 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
I think CS could make a good FPS game... But, the question is how to pull it off...
I wouldn't want it to be another classic shooter. Also, I don't think CS should have a realistic style [half life]; something in between. Not too cartoony though [wind walker]...

In 3d, I'd say Cave Story would be a lot of jumping, maybe wall-jumping. The weapons for hte most part in Cave Story have a limited range. Perhaps the same would be for 3d. Perhaps its effectiveness goes out the window at long range. In first person you'd easily get ambushed when they come from behind [maybe they make sounds, so you have a second to react]?

Anyways I think it could be done, just it would need to be like you imagine it.
Hanging on a block with both hands so you won't fall on Outer Wall. Being flushed through water with low visibility at high speeds. Looking up and seeing a HUGE BALROG fall and LAND on you! Seeing Ballos as a HUGE GIANT ROCK WITH A FACE BOUNCING TOWARDS YOU!

Sure it can be made into a wonderfully unique FPS game. But, I don't see anyone taking the time to do that...

As for the "3D" Cave Story, is that the 3DS one? That one is pretty 2D with maybe a jump into the background to a new layer of 2D and back again [from the looks of it] Gimmicky... not sure if it'll increase the fun or not...

May 4, 2011 at 11:37 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
I had some thought into this too, I personally can't see the levels being the same if the caves are even wider. We'd have to see the other buildings in Mimiga Village and such, however, I'm thinking that it could work if a FPS mode was placed as a bonus gametype and was limited to a boss rush mode. The jet packing could work if they did that Metroid Prime 2 did with the Screw Attack and went into 3rd person for a little while. Personally I think if we're on this topic of non-2D side scrolling that Cave Story would work better as a 3rd person shooter. Also, the Curly on your back in Hell part would be hard to work out in 3rd person and 1st person unless she was AI controlled to home on to a target.

May 4, 2011 at 11:45 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
X-Calibar said:
I think CS could make a good FPS game... But, the question is how to pull it off...
I wouldn't want it to be another classic shooter. Also, I don't think CS should have a realistic style [half life]; something in between. Not too cartoony though [wind walker]...

In 3d, I'd say Cave Story would be a lot of jumping, maybe wall-jumping. The weapons for hte most part in Cave Story have a limited range. Perhaps the same would be for 3d. Perhaps its effectiveness goes out the window at long range. In first person you'd easily get ambushed when they come from behind [maybe they make sounds, so you have a second to react]?

Anyways I think it could be done, just it would need to be like you imagine it.
Hanging on a block with both hands so you won't fall on Outer Wall. Being flushed through water with low visibility at high speeds. Looking up and seeing a HUGE BALROG fall and LAND on you! Seeing Ballos as a HUGE GIANT ROCK WITH A FACE BOUNCING TOWARDS YOU!

Sure it can be made into a wonderfully unique FPS game. But, I don't see anyone taking the time to do that...

Seeing a wall come at you at high speed, and putting your arms out to bounce and roll around it to avoid injury...Seeing Igor's fist approach and deflecting it with a block...Blasting Balrog out of the air when your Missiles change course to follow the reticule at Level 3...

The worries about enemies sneaking up behind you are the same whether you're playing Half-Life or Metroid Prime or Portal. You constantly have to watch your surroundings, which adds a challenge to an already (somewhat) difficult game that has been made easier by the addition of a third dimension you can retreat into.

Seeing Balrog coming down at you? Press the right button combo and Quote will roll out of the way. Hanging on with both hands? Sure. There's even going to be Booster/wall jump combo segments, all with realistic physics instead of the floaty ones of the original, which wouldn't work very well in 3D space. (*cough Hell cough*)

Combine this with variable-paced action, which goes fast in some segments (during boss fights, where you're pressing buttons to do quick dodges and leaping over and on top of enemies to attack them directly, as well as some platform hell sections), and slow in others (the breather stages, general exploration, and the storytelling areas.)

-----

Just for lulz, Wii controls:
NUNCHUK
Control Stick: Movement
C Button: Alt-Fire
Z Button (Hold): Iron Sights
WII REMOTE
Pointer: Aiming
A Button: Jump/Booster
B Button: Fire
Control Pad L/R: Cycle Weapons
Control Pad: Quick Turn (180 degree snap turn)
+ Button: Inventory
- Button: Map System (if acquired)

-----

Finally, soundtrack. We should use the "Cave Story Recomposed" album for all our audible needs. (With options, naturally, for the Wii and original versions.)

May 5, 2011 at 12:10 AM
Demon taming, headphone wearing, casanova
"All your forum are belong to us!"
considering what you mentioned its possible but heres some friendly tips:

1-Unless you are way determined try not to make it 3d that will make the process more tedius and long.

2-Remember you're objective is to make a playable and enjoyable experience focus on the execution and the brain storming.

3-Try not to make too many gimmick (the missile thing) because like 3d graphics it will be longer and more tedius and you might lose inspiration over the weeks and months you could save if you dont use 3d graphics and too many gimmicks. Always remember,inspiration is what makes you go on and do you're best the less inspired you are the lower the chances of you making a good job.

May 17, 2011 at 8:51 PM
/end
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Re: Bet you don't read this line of text.

Yal said:
Nice idea. But I came up with it first.

Hope you have proof to back up such a bold statement.