What happened to the Red Crystal?

Jan 14, 2011 at 6:57 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
After you beat the Undead Core, what happened to it? Did it get destroyed too? Or could it be safely nestled somewhere on the Island since the Doctor was defeated?

Jan 14, 2011 at 8:39 AM
Been here way too long...
"..."
Shadow Major said:
After you beat the Undead Core, what happened to it? Did it get destroyed too? Or could it be safely nestled somewhere on the Island since the Doctor was defeated?

According to Kazuma, destroying the Core undoes the effects of the Red Flowers, and hence probably also the Red Crystal, rendering it harmless.

The Red Crystal merged with Sue, so there are two possibilities as to the fate of the Crystal itself -

1) The Red Crystal detached from Sue and buggered off somewhere,

2) Sue reverted to normal and the Red Crystal did not reform, meaning it's gone.

There's no way to decide this, since whichever happened, it happened when Quote was knocked out by the Core explosion (Misery also presumably escaped during that period).

Jan 14, 2011 at 8:44 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
magic9mushroom said:
According to Kazuma, destroying the Core undoes the effects of the Red Flowers, and hence probably also the Red Crystal, rendering it harmless.

The Red Crystal merged with Sue, so there are two possibilities as to the fate of the Crystal itself -

2) Sue reverted to normal and the Red Crystal did not reform, meaning it's gone.

There's no way to decide this, since whichever happened, it happened when Quote was knocked out by the Core explosion (Misery also presumably escaped during that period).

I hope option 1 is the correct one.

magic9mushroom said:
According to Kazuma, destroying the Core undoes the effects of the Red Flowers

When does Kazuma state this?

Jan 14, 2011 at 9:14 AM
"..."
When does Kazuma state this?

After you say no to his offer of escape.

This is actually one of the spots where Cave Story contradicts itself, though, as the Red Crystal is stated by the Doctor to basically be a drug, and for a drug to stop working because of the Core being destroyed doesn't make any sense.

So I guess it's possible that a) Kazuma was mistaken as well as b) the Red Crystal wasn't destroyed. Seems reasonably unlikely, though.

Jan 14, 2011 at 1:22 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
I had thought that the Doctor took the red crystal, then after dying and turning into some spirit thingy, posessed The Core, Misery and Sue. Quote destroyed them and eliminated his 'spirit thingy'.

Jan 14, 2011 at 1:42 PM
"..."
sinophile said:
I had thought that the Doctor took the red crystal, then after dying and turning into some spirit thingy, posessed The Core, Misery and Sue. Quote destroyed them and eliminated his 'spirit thingy'.

No. The Red Crystal appears during the cutscene before the Undead Core fight. While it was the Chunky Salsa Zombie Doctor that changed Misery into the bird thing, Sue turns into the flying ninja because the Red Crystal merged with her.

We don't see Sue turn back to "normal" (ie Mimiga) form, however, so it's unknown whether the Red Crystal went somewhere or not. That's what the OP wanted to know, I assume.

Jan 14, 2011 at 8:40 PM
magic9mushroom said:
After you say no to his offer of escape.

This is actually one of the spots where Cave Story contradicts itself, though, as the Red Crystal is stated by the Doctor to basically be a drug, and for a drug to stop working because of the Core being destroyed doesn't make any sense.

So I guess it's possible that a) Kazuma was mistaken as well as b) the Red Crystal wasn't destroyed. Seems reasonably unlikely, though.

As far as I know, Kazuma only says:
"You know, there's one other way one might return the Mimigas to their natural state. You could destroy the island's core.
If you did that, however, the island would most likely crumble.
A dangerous choice, no?"

Jan 15, 2011 at 4:46 AM
Pirate Member
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
which implies that the core has an effect on the mimigas.

Jan 15, 2011 at 8:22 AM
So, when the Core is destroyed, it undoes the effects of the Red Flowers?

Jan 15, 2011 at 9:07 AM
Ah, so if the Red Crystal is made out of that concentrated stuff from the Red Flowers, then it would have been destroyed after the Undead Core busted...

Jan 15, 2011 at 11:30 AM
"..."
Shadow Major said:
Ah, so if the Red Crystal is made out of that concentrated stuff from the Red Flowers, then it would have been destroyed after the Undead Core busted...

That's the theory, yes. Either that or it would be rendered useless.

Jan 15, 2011 at 4:57 PM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Shadow Major said:
So, when the Core is destroyed, it undoes the effects of the Red Flowers?

Er, I'm pretty sure if a miniga ate one afterwards, they would go insane and die, but it would revert all currently insane/dying mimigas.

Jan 16, 2011 at 1:13 AM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
The way I see it the Red Crystal is like crack - you can't really get rid of it.

Jan 16, 2011 at 8:11 AM
Now, that's the answer I'm hoping for! :D

Jan 16, 2011 at 12:23 PM
"..."
The worst-case scenario, I guess, is that it finds its way into the Seal Chamber.

Behold, the fury of your new god!

Jan 17, 2011 at 6:45 AM
magic9mushroom said:
The worst-case scenario, I guess, is that it finds its way into the Seal Chamber.

Behold, the fury of your new god!

I'm sort of working on something like this, my mod called "The Search for the Red Crystal". I just needed some ideas as to what would have happened to it afterward.

Jan 17, 2011 at 8:49 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
magic9mushroom said:

Did Kazuma even know that the Red Crystal existed at this time?

Jan 17, 2011 at 10:22 PM
"..."
Cavehacker101 said:
Did Kazuma even know that the Red Crystal existed at this time?

No, because it didn't. The Doctor finished it while you were fighting Misery.

Jan 17, 2011 at 11:29 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
So The Red Crystal could still be inside Sue, metaphorically speaking?

I smell a potential fan-fiction sequel...

Jan 18, 2011 at 3:50 AM
"..."
NightmareBros said:
So The Red Crystal could still be inside Sue, metaphorically speaking?

I smell a potential fan-fiction sequel...

Well,
the first boss fight in Jenka's Nightmare is Sue, and she's split into an Igor and three of the form in the Undead Core fight.

So not "potential". "Actual". :p