• Bubbline only

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Polar Star/Spur and Fireball have limited (100) ammo

Votes: 7 63.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
May 31, 2020 at 4:29 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I feel like doing a challenge run but I can't decide which one to do.
I'll post here while I do it.
I have the save files set up.

May 31, 2020 at 1:11 PM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Bruh, just roll some dice and let it decide for you.

May 31, 2020 at 1:24 PM
"Huzzah!"
I didn't quite get this thread either
use this and let 1 be Bubble line and 2 be Polar Star/Spur and Fireball have 100 ammo

May 31, 2020 at 5:57 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I didn't quite get this thread either
I'll be doing the challenge run as an old-fashioned forum Let's Play. Basically, I'll play through the game, and after every major area, I'll summarize what happened and post screenshots.
I'm letting y'all decide so that I know which one will likely be more interesting.
When I'm done with either challenge, I'll make it into a YouTube video using my posts here as a script.

Jun 1, 2020 at 4:49 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
You only have two more days to vote.

Jun 1, 2020 at 5:35 AM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
100 ammo isn't gonna be enough, just letting you know. Enemies will respawn after using a refill and going back into a stage. It ain't gonna be a fun time.

Jun 1, 2020 at 5:39 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
100 ammo isn't gonna be enough, just letting you know. Enemies will respawn after using a refill and going back into a stage. It ain't gonna be a fun time.
Notice how I didn't mention the knife.

Jun 1, 2020 at 4:31 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Notice how I didn't mention the knife.
What's the point of a limited ammo challenge if you can use weapons that don't abide this rule.
That said yeah, 200 shots between your Polar Star and Fireball isn't gonna be a fun time on a number of bosses.

In fact, if we assume we get 100 shots from the Polar Star and 100 from the Fireball, we're looking at a total of 1000 damage (400 from Polar, 600 from Fireball), and this is assuming you keep both at level 3.
This might be manageable early on (though you'll have to be very efficient with one boss before Fireball), but you won't be able to beat the doctor unless you can recharge between fights (and even then, things only get harder afterwards...).
I'd say that putting a refill after the doctor and giving each weapon 200 ammo would give you a proper chance with some margin for error (and this is still not considering projectiles/minions), but only for beating the game on the normal ending.

EDIT: Then again, the sanctuary includes the ability to have curly fire too but wether that fits for a challenge like this or not is up to you.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2020 at 5:42 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
What's the point of a limited ammo challenge if you can use weapons that don't abide this rule.
How would it make sense for a knife to run out of ammo?
Also, I've always found Sand Zone to be harder than Labyrinth, Egg Corridor?, Outer Wall, and Plantation, so the run would have gotten less interesting as time went on regardless.

Jun 1, 2020 at 6:02 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
How would it make sense for a knife to run out of ammo?
In terms of realism, not at all.
But I don't see why you would bind yourself to that boundary, if you wanna have the challenge be interesting for the whole run, it'd make more sense to either make all other weapons unobtainable, or give them very limited ammo to give you some more breathing space.

Also, I've always found Sand Zone to be harder than Labyrinth, Egg Corridor?, Outer Wall, and Plantation, so the run would have gotten less interesting as time went on regardless.
To be fair you get the blade right before the labyrinth, and the spur after the either way easy water way.
I'm not gonna stop you from playing how you want but if you want to do a challenge run it's often fitting to hold that challenge's conditions up until what you consider the end. And if anything I think it can get more interesting towards the end as you have to keep your accuracy up as boss health rises and rises.

Jun 1, 2020 at 8:08 PM
War criminal
If anything, if you really wanna use the "knife", nerf the blade's damage output and exp intake, so it can genuinely feel like an actual knife.

Jun 1, 2020 at 8:15 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
If anything, if you really wanna use the "knife", nerf the blade's damage output and exp intake, so it can genuinely feel like an actual knife.
I'm only editing saves.

Jun 1, 2020 at 8:19 PM
War criminal
I'm only editing saves.
Saves don't give the Polar Star and Fireball limited ammo, do they? Unless you've already modified the game through Booster's Lab and created save files with the mod?

Jun 1, 2020 at 8:20 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Saves don't give the Polar Star and Fireball limited ammo, do they? Unless you've already modified the game through Booster's Lab and created save files with the mod?
Actually, you can limit the ammo of all weapons through saves alone. Try it out.

Jun 1, 2020 at 8:22 PM
War criminal
Jun 1, 2020 at 8:35 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
The method or the program you didn't name?
CaveSaveEdit. If you go into the Inventory tab, you can set ammo limits on any weapon in the game.

Jun 1, 2020 at 8:36 PM
War criminal
Ahhh, that makes sense now. I never really messed with save editors, so forgive me for dumb dumb.

Jun 2, 2020 at 6:06 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
You have one more day to vote. My sanity is in your hands.

Jun 2, 2020 at 8:53 AM
"Huzzah!"
Since I don't want to cause pain, I'll vote for the 100 ammo challenge.

Jun 2, 2020 at 9:32 AM
"Huzzah!"
i absolutely want to cause pain, so i voted for bubbler challenge (though i feel both are equally as challenging in different ways)