"What are you currently playing?" Screenshot thread

Apr 12, 2013 at 10:16 PM
CARLSOOOOOON AAAAND PEEEEETERSSSSSS!
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Polaris said:
...hmm...Odin Sphere. I've been looking for that game for a while. And when I finally got it, I found that my ancient PS2 couldn't play anything anymore
p164550-0-emotsmith.gif
…stupid hunkajunk only runs Final Fantasy X now :mad: ...
I suppose I should get that fixed, huh. I really want to play it!
Dunc2403 said:
SPEAKING of PS2, apparently the aunt I didn't know I had has a ton of PS2, SNES and NES games and each colsole as well, and wars to get rid of them. Eeeeeee
@Polaris Yeah, I've heard that, over time, the eye that scans the PS2 discs degrades till it gets to the point that it won't scan them AT ALL(happened to me with our old PS2(we got a slim I think a couple years later)). The best thing to do is either take it to a game store that specializes in console repairs(like Play'n'Trade), or to just buy a new console(because that method is cheaper than to have it repaired. Only resort to getting your console repaired if you've grown so attached to that particular unit that you can't just let it go out to pasture AND if you have boogo bucks just lying around.)

@Dunc Whaaa-??? Seriously!?!? I'd like to take them off your hands, good sir!!

Apr 14, 2013 at 6:36 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
@Polaris - you need to get that fixed! Though, alternatively if you wait long enough... you could just get a PC that can play your PS2 games...

I spent the day yesterday seeing how emulation surpasses the original D:
odinpic2.jpg

All games Sharper, clearer!* (This shot has a photoshop filter on it, but the rest don't.)

p164557-1-persona3fes1.jpg

Some games in Widescreen!

And a few that others uploaded :
http://www.abload.de/img/comp1fees6.jpg
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ipwsKCeOTV0/UCWJyrBR8vI/AAAAAAAAA9Q/n_xmSjKKd34/s1600/radiata_low_res.jpg
This ^ Is the original PS2 resolution.

http://www.abload.de/img/comp27jdk3.jpg
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-m5rKgBUNr_c/UCWJp0xk0xI/AAAAAAAAA9I/52I4zDGvjvE/s1600/radiata_hi_res.jpg
THIS ^ Is through emulation. (But, I really need a new video card to run it like that smoothly on most games...)

http://www.abload.de/img/pcsx2-2013-04-04-22-1m0qk8.jpg
http://www.abload.de/img/pcsx2-r53502012-08-07epspa.png
And a couple for fun...

Apr 15, 2013 at 1:05 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Ultimate Nerd-meister said:
@Polaris Yeah, I've heard that, over time, the eye that scans the PS2 discs degrades till it gets to the point that it won't scan them AT ALL(happened to me with our old PS2(we got a slim I think a couple years later)). The best thing to do is either take it to a game store that specializes in console repairs(like Play'n'Trade), or to just buy a new console(because that method is cheaper than to have it repaired. Only resort to getting your console repaired if you've grown so attached to that particular unit that you can't just let it go out to pasture AND if you have boogo bucks just lying around.
I think I'll just buy a new one...I know a place that sells them at a pretty fair price, but it seems I never get there when I have the money D:

@Polaris - you need to get that fixed! Though, alternatively if you wait long enough... you could just get a PC that can play your PS2 games...
Hmm...that's a pretty fair point, but there's a certain nostalgia from playing on an actual PS2 that can't quite be matched by a PC for me - somehow, emulating feels like cheating. Not sure why...

Apr 15, 2013 at 1:18 AM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Polaris said:
somehow, emulating feels like cheating. Not sure why...
Surely it's not because of save states...

Apr 15, 2013 at 2:13 AM
Professional Whatever
Also because it's piracy

Apr 15, 2013 at 5:40 AM
Indie game enthusiast
Also because it's piracy
It's still a grey area if you own the system and the game in question?
I suppose so... (Why wouldn't I just play it on the PS2 then??? I like to live life on the edge...)

Ah, well moving on...
I've been working on and playing some Cave Story today~ no screens right now...

@NheroArconix - Did you get caught by one of the giant energy attack? Or did Misery get you with the homing missiles :p

Apr 15, 2013 at 6:37 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
http://www.gamefaqs.com/wii/632973-fortune-street/images

Been playing Fortune Street with my friends, a monopoly-esque boardgame with Mario/Dragon Quest characters. Unlike monopoly, you have a board with junctions so you at least can choose where you will go. You are still forced to go through all corners of the map, because you need 4 different suits located on the map to get the 'pass go' reward. There is also a stock mechanic thrown in, but most of the skill is still based on die rolling.

Just like Monopoly, it lasted forever with me(Wario) firmly grounded on the last place with no chance of escaping, while my brother(Donkey Kong) kept getting richer and richer and there was not a thing thing we could do about it. The computer never willing to trade made it all the more worse, as it held some more crucial properties. So it lasted for 3 hours, and it only ended when i had to sacrifice myself just to end the damn game. This song is forever ingrained into my brain.

What fun we had.

Apr 15, 2013 at 8:35 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
I got Fortune Street a few months ago, it's a lot of fun. My biggest gripe with it is that on certain maps during long games, the music gets extremely repetitive since it almost never changes (Delfino Plaza, for example).

Ah, Fortune Street reminds me of another game I like. I'm sure I've mentioned this game before, Dokapon Kingdom.
http://www.rpgfan.com/pics/Dokapon_Kingdom/ss-001.jpg
It's a fantastic cross between Mario Party and Rock-Paper-Scissors. From what I understand, it's a love it or hate it type game, so play at your own risk. You can always play Single Player, sure, but it's a totally different experience with friends. Gather three or four of your friends every week or so and complete the Story Mode. It might take a few months, but it's so much fun. I have it on the Wii, but it's also available on the PS2. If you do decide to play it on the PS2, make sure you have a multitap. Playing Dokapon Kingdom with friends is essential, I can't stress that enough.

Apr 15, 2013 at 11:42 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Persona 4 Golden.

Anyone else think that the English version of True Story (the song at the Junes concert) is better than the Japanese one? Laura Bailey (Rise's English voice actress) is an amazing singer.

Apr 16, 2013 at 1:31 AM
Professional Whatever
X-Calibar said:
It's still a grey area if you own the system and the game in question?
It's not a grey area. If you already own the game then it's fine. For some reason I assumed Polaris didn't have the original game :/

Apr 16, 2013 at 7:13 AM
Tpcool said:
I got Fortune Street a few months ago, it's a lot of fun. My biggest gripe with it is that on certain maps during long games, the music gets extremely repetitive since it almost never changes (Delfino Plaza, for example).

Ah, Fortune Street reminds me of another game I like. I'm sure I've mentioned this game before, Dokapon Kingdom.
http://www.rpgfan.com/pics/Dokapon_Kingdom/ss-001.jpg
It's a fantastic cross between Mario Party and Rock-Paper-Scissors. From what I understand, it's a love it or hate it type game, so play at your own risk. You can always play Single Player, sure, but it's a totally different experience with friends. Gather three or four of your friends every week or so and complete the Story Mode. It might take a few months, but it's so much fun. I have it on the Wii, but it's also available on the PS2. If you do decide to play it on the PS2, make sure you have a multitap. Playing Dokapon Kingdom with friends is essential, I can't stress that enough.
Good thing to know, because i was about to pick Delphino Plaza the next time we would play. >_> I hope there are a few more subtle tracks out there.

I actually played Dokapon Kingdom with my friends a long while ago! We managed to complete the game once, was great fun. We usually aren't the kind of people to fight against eachother so we limited the trickery with eachother. We played the game again for a second campaign, and things changed for the worst.
We were at the last continent, 3 players: I had a magic-build, friend had a thief-build and my brother had a warrior-build on his character. My brother was Alchemist at the time, and actually managed to get his mitts onto a a spell that allows him to summon monsters on all towns in a single continent(the most powerful spell in the entire game). Using his Alchemy skill, he started duplicating it and wandered far off from where we were(Australia, i think). He was somewhere near Norway. Since all our towns were in danger from his spells, i decided to do something really vile.
I got to the store, and started maxing out my inventory with the sleeping spell, the one that forces a player to waste several turns doing nothing. I then alternated it with purse cutter, one that causes a player to lose items. One of the side effects of sleepy is that spells cast on a sleeping person have a much higher success rate. Plus he was a warrior with really crap agillity.
So i kept casting sleep on him, and it worked every time. He fell asleep, i followed up with casting purse cutter and when his character woke up in the next few turns, he fell asleep again. Since he was as far away as possible, he could never reach me while he was locked into place as he kept losing his incredibly rare spells every turn. This dickery kept on going for a few turns before he pressed the power button and stopping with the playtrough forever.

From that point on Mages were considered horribly OP. Though, right now he is up again for a new playtrough as a mage, but i'll wonder how that will go.

Apr 22, 2013 at 5:42 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
I recently just finished playing through Illusion of Gaia and decided that I should also play the other two games in the "trilogy" since I had never done so. So now I'm working on Soul Blazer. It turns out that Dr. Leo may have been having flash backs to when he was in grad school...
p164568-0-screenshot20130420at101707pmzps5efe047d.png

Alternatively, perhaps this Research is related to Chivalry of the Cave Story universe: they may both be embodied, personified abstractions of consciousness that arise from the mental habitus of temporarily cognitively destabilized players.

May 6, 2013 at 3:54 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
May 6, 2013 at 4:18 AM
Professional Whatever
It doesn't work.

May 7, 2013 at 11:40 PM
Indie game enthusiast
@Mosaic - Soul Blazer... Now that brings back memories xD I like how you enter paintings and dreams...

So, I spent last week playing through a RPG/visual novel-ish game :
elenor.jpg

Loren the Amazon Princess (rated teen?)
It was a lot more fun than I would have imagined... probably due to my love of fantasy, and ELVES! [Yes, I chose Elenor as the protagonist ;D]

If anyone thinks they are interested, I say go watch Record of Lodoss War OVA anime first... No connection between the two, but if you love it, it'll assure you that getting this game will be your cup of tea :D

So, after finishing that long story :

2013_05_07_00032.jpg

I started playing FEZ on Steam~

A puzzle platforming mini-odyssey.
Pretty highly recommended. [pretty hefty PC requirements]

Though, I'm probably going to quit it now...
At this point it's about solving puzzles exclusively, and although these final secrets are hot stuff when revealed (OMG the new areas); these puzzles are becoming more and more slow guess work.
I was trying to get the anti-cube for the telescope room. I managed to solve it with my own logic, but it never triggered; I just checked online for the answer after getting fed up, apparently you had to repeat the answer, so that it loops; that or both the site's answer and mine have wrong starting points.

When you solve a puzzle, and it doesn't register; it just becomes a HUGE time waster since you go on to other ideas. And I'm getting frustrated. ><

Also, I solved the red cube in that room on my own... OR WAIT, I looked at the answer they gave me and apparently I got it by sheer dumb luck. It was supposed to be in binary, but I just copied down the blinking lights, and rotated in that order, until it repeated, and it gave me the red heart cube.

As it becomes more and more obscure, I feel less inclined to continue, especially when I start getting more frustrated and resort to cheating to check the answer.

It has been a wonderful silent story to search out and discover... Language, number system, history... but when I get to the point I resort to cheating, I feel it's time to give up.

I uncovered 150% completion pretty much on my own. I looked up two things online prior to the telescope :
I spent a hour in that square room with all those doors (leads to the skull artifact), I tried EVERY door and finally I got pissed off x_X... When I looked online, apparently there are TREASURE MAPS. Which make it pretty obvious what to do. The problem was I didn't know that the inventory screen was a CUBE, so even though I found those treasure maps, I never got a look at them, except faintly when I picked them up.
Thought the treasure maps uncovered things on the map screen or something...

Anyway, with the maps in hand, I guessed the order needed by looking in one of the classrooms.
But, still feels like I cheated, making it less of an achievement.

Then there's the QR codes.
I looked online to see if I needed to know what they said, since I don't have a camera phone... Apparently I DID need them to advance. So, I used an online reader, and took screenshots. Still, even though I did it on my own, feels like I cheated, since I did see at least what one of those QR codes contained beforehand... LTRT etc.

I didn't solve the number system, or language yet. Did solve the purple pillars with the tetris symbols running down like a vine though, just using the school room background. Didn't solve the tuning fork, or the bell (probably related); I got 31 cubes, and 16 anticube, and 1 red cube, and found four cryptic owls.
I am on newgame+.

STILL, would like to understand the language, since I am curious what everyone has to say, including the cube in the beginning...

and what WAS that ending... I soo need to crack the language...

May 8, 2013 at 7:29 AM
Played FEZ a while ago on Xbox Arcade, it's cool at first but the puzzles get much harder over time untill it becomes an excersize in madness.

The glitches get kinda irritating too, all it takes is some spazzing against a corner to get yourself out of the map. Don't forget the puzzle room with rising lava: Sometimes the game autosaves while you are halfway into the lava and if you reload Gomez is going to respawn into the lava forever and you can never get back out again. Meaning your save is broken and you have to start all over again, what fun.

The security puzzle was something i could never guess on my own, and the black monolith puzzle was something even the internet couldn't figure out on it's own untill some lucky guy brute-forced the thing by pure luck.

I'm not sure if the tuning fork puzzle would work on the PC. It's definetly one of the more clever puzzles of the game.

Yeah i ended up cheating most of my way trough it once i completed the puzzles i could solve, which wasn't all that much. Not a born puzzler.

May 8, 2013 at 7:12 PM
CARLSOOOOOON AAAAND PEEEEETERSSSSSS!
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Dude, I really wanna play FEZ

May 9, 2013 at 1:29 AM
Indie game enthusiast
I did a little more digging in FEZ, but still haven't figured out how to read their writing and numbers...

ALSO, finally played that game The Binding of Isaac
issacwin1sttime.jpg
I WON! I was ready to give up for now, and then the game threw me a bone just when I was about to stop lol
Gave me sacred tears... though by the last level I had gotten so many evil upgrades I looked like that xD
That book of shadows was what saved me in the last battle. I must have gotten all the best trump cards that playthrough~ [No health upgrades though..!!]

EDIT: Played more... and
Beat the NEW last level... the Womb!
With an AMAZINGLY overpowered AMAZING combination...

issacwin2ndtime.jpg

Unfortunately I only got that one shot... but basically, instead of tears, issac ran around as a big floating demon head that constantly shoots a red laser, and I can charge up his LAZER that you see in that shot, which one-shots everything except the final boss.. lol

I LOVE BEING OVERPOWERED!

May 9, 2013 at 8:03 AM
X-Calibar said:
I did a little more digging in FEZ, but still haven't figured out how to read their writing and numbers...
Here's a clue on how to read words but no numbers:
There is a rather hard puzzle in the forest section that when solved, allows you to translate all text but no numbers. A paper and pen would be really useful, here.

The numbers thing is way harder,
Because there are multiple signs that translate to the same number.