Welcome To CaveRN Story

Nov 17, 2014 at 4:26 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
UPDATED APRIL 11 2015

-Darude: Sandzone in construction

-Going to rewrite/add-onto the game's engine to allow higher quality SFX and game engine improvements

-Rewriting part of ORGMaker to allow for things like Copy-Pasting, maybe.

-Working in external programs (F*** you CaveEditor :3)

-Adding backstory and developer commentary (don't worry, its hilarious...probably)

Cavern story is a HEAVILY modded version of Cave Story...if you had to sum it up in one word I'd think of the word "abridged". I've played through Cave Story so many times and I love the game but along the way there are things that would have just been funny to put into the game if possible. So I and a friend set out to create the most insane version of a cave story mod ever. Its based completely around humor, appropriately.

So development as really been going for the past 2 years, but its only been in the last month I've really been wanting to finish it. I'm aiming for it to be finished around July-August 2015. Wish us luck! I can't say much about it currently other than I will be posting updates as I work on it. I'm doing artwork and story so I have a lot of modding to do but its very fun to be working on it. Obviously the final version will be free, as well as everything that we've modded. The game's engine will be slightly improved for anyone wanting to really squeeze the juice out of what's possible.

What I'm Working On Currently:

14Bit is taking it upon himself to rewrite THREE ITEMS for the game. ORGMaker, The Cave Story Engine, and the types of files that can be run in Cave Story, which I guess is kind of the second thing but oh well. ORGMaker will have a copy-paste feature, allowing for more creativity in such simple software. The Cave Story Engine will be added onto in order to allow many of the...uh, "advancements" in order to make the game even stupider. The types of files, mainly audio files, will be expanded in CaveRN Story, allowing for high-quality songs that will be misused time and time again. All of these advancements will, of course, be included in the final version of the game, which means that if you want to do something as freaking amazing as this (?), you can.

I'm working on the usual. Rewriting the story as best as I can without the improvements that will be added.

So, things are going pretty well. I'll keep updates here. Oh, and if there's anything you guys want to see, please comment and let me know. If its funny enough I'll put it in the game. So, yeah! I might even release some concept art if I'm not lazy enough, even though since I'm writing this in April it might be a little late for that.

-CaveRN Story Team (Glitchy647, 14Bit, GreenkingWasHere)

Nov 17, 2014 at 4:29 AM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Are there any screenshots or demos you would like to share with us? That's necessary in the first post of any thread of the Showcase section.

Nov 17, 2014 at 4:34 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I DO have screenshots and concept art but only only my dev PC. I can upload them tomorrow, or I can take down the post if need be.

Nov 17, 2014 at 4:35 AM
War criminal
It's all right to upload them tomorrow. I do recommend telling a mod about that soon, though.

Nov 17, 2014 at 5:40 AM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Serious Déjà vu here.

You remind me of myself one and a half years before, when I made a similar titled mod, with a similar premise, with similar ideas, and announced it in my first post, with nothing to really show off, but a glimmer of maturity not seen much here.

A Ma Pignon game show? I have a paper in one of my old notebooks where I planned Ma Pignon hosting a Family Feud style game. I wrote my ideas on that page one year ago and let it die unrevealed when my mod was canceled back in April.

I'm seriously scared now.

Nov 17, 2014 at 8:30 PM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
I would almost go as far to say that he straight up copied enlight's ideas and attempted to improve on them.

Nov 17, 2014 at 9:55 PM
Professional Whatever
Oh it's another meme story

Have, uh
Have fun with that

Nov 17, 2014 at 10:03 PM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
BLink said:
I would almost go as far to say that he straight up copied enlight's ideas and attempted to improve on them.
For the record I wasn't suggesting that.

People can do whatever they want, CS Mods aren't legally owned and intellectual rights are vicious when it comes to how many things are out there.

Creepy, definitely, but I'm certain It's a coincidence.

Nov 17, 2014 at 10:26 PM
beep boop
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
This idea came to me as well, as a way to make myself better at modding, only the egg corridor was going to be the egg corridor, if you know what I mean... It was going to be inappropriate as possible, so yeah...

Nov 18, 2014 at 12:01 AM
thinks dogs are cool
"All your forum are belong to us!"
the names are the same, bionic
that's bullshit

Nov 18, 2014 at 1:16 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I have never even visited this forum before until yesterday when i made my account lol...I swear...anyway it should be interesting. Thanks for the responses, guys! I'll get some artwork out there soon.

Nov 18, 2014 at 1:58 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I apologize with all my heart and soul at the quality of this video. I know. Its crap. But I feel I should give you the first 15 minutes of CaveRN story just to that you can see what the feel of the game is going to be. Don't worry, its NOT DONE. And the LOL signs will be gone too, that was a mistake on my part trying to make a quick recording.

Anyway I hope that you all enjoy. If you can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SOC04piOX8

STUFF THAT ISN'T DONE THATS IN THE VIDEO

-Balrog will be a toaster

-Breakfast Corridor

-King says Good Day a lot

-Developer Rocket Launcher: Avaliable in the dev room, is the Super Rocket Launcher that shoots infinite ammo

-Dialog going outside the boxes

-Can enter the Egg 00 password and blow up the island

-Removed Herobrine

-Happy Meals

-Killing The Egg Fish Crashes your game after we shout at you for five minutes about being 'responsible' with a gun.

-And more but I don't want to type so enjoy Ill post more later. Enjoy some complimentary concept art from yours truly.100_6225.JPG100_6250.JPG

Nov 18, 2014 at 2:09 AM
Professional Whatever
do it in your mod thread
why do you need a separate thread for a let's play of your own mod

Nov 18, 2014 at 2:29 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Doors: why not would I not need a separate thread for my own mod? Its easier to keep updates this way. Once development starts to come to a close I'll squish everything into one thread that I'll just continuously update.

Nov 18, 2014 at 5:06 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
da fuq is up with that egg corridor. It burns to look at.

Nov 18, 2014 at 5:41 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Threads merged.

Glitchy647 said:
Doors: why not would I not need a separate thread for my own mod? Its easier to keep updates this way. Once development starts to come to a close I'll squish everything into one thread that I'll just continuously update.
You only need one thread for your mod in the showcase subforum.

Nov 19, 2014 at 2:08 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Glitchy647 said:
if you had to sum it up in one word I'd think of the word "abridged"
Abridged means a shorter version of an existing story. I'm not really seeing that here. You've obviously seen stuff like DBZ Abridged on youtube and assumed that the word "abridged" represented the parody aspect of the videos more than the fact that the story moves faster than in the original DBZ.

Word of advice, try to have a basic understanding of what a word means before you use it.

Nov 20, 2014 at 3:16 PM
2dbro
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
The art is byotiful. 10/10 best art 2014
I look forward to seeing this in the future.
This has somewhat potential. Keep working,
and then we might pay attention for once.

Nov 20, 2014 at 8:20 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I understand that it's a "beta" but this is just lazy. You barely did anything to the game aside from the Egg Corridor.
Also memes are not funny and you should really learn how to properly record your game footage.