Was there anything that was universally liked in Cave Story 3D?

Jun 3, 2021 at 4:15 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
And a followup to that is what was the worst thing about it?

Jun 3, 2021 at 6:40 PM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
The black sheep of Cave Story (though personally, I rank it up higher than CS+). Here's a couple lists that are positive in regards to it:
- For one of the first games released for the 3DS, its aesthetic combined with 3d effect are really impressive, even moreso if played on a 3DS XL.

- Just like the DSi port, there is no extra bullshit that you'll get in CS+ or any of it's other ports. Granted, the only challenge is for the Sacred Grounds, which in itself is a bit redundant because you can just run it again in your save file, but I digress.

- The stages have been reimagined with Pixel being the creative director. Meaning the appearances of all stages come from him. This includes the fact that "Bushlands" was literally made a grass town in the game, which should honestly cement the Grasstown vs Bushlands debate once and for all.
- Prinny Cap
- Infinite Life Capsules
- You can get the Beast Fang
- It's actually possible to reverse Boss Rush in CS3D.
- If you're a collector, this version is pretty rare to find, so it'd be worth it if you're interested in getting it. Its pricings on Amazon have even gone up now (when I bought it, it was still $40, the common pricing for many 3DS games).

Jun 3, 2021 at 11:27 PM
"Huzzah!"
good stuff:
- as mentioned, most of the environment remakes are gorgeous (though imo some areas like the waterway could've had a brigher palette - more of a compromise between the 'realistic' approach of CS3D and the colours of the original game. i also don't understand why they made outer wall mechanical because it's not fitting at all but OH WELL). they're probably the best part of the game and the amount of effort put into small background details is super cool! i like them a lot!
- i personally thought the redrawn weapon icons were cool
- best official soundtrack remix i will die on this hill
- beast fang glitch is really fun to mess around with
- the credits cutscenes being unmoving dioramas are pretty cute (albeit kinda lazy), esp. the two based on the credits art - and the higher quality models used in them are pretty cute

bad stuff:
- while i'll give the models themselves a pass for being early 3DS (though i don't think they're very appealing), the complete and total lack of effort put into animation and model interaction is appalling. stuff like walk cycles being kinda janky, one of quote's back turned animations being kinda broken, and like... even minor stuff like sue stomping her foot, or momorin being surprised, which in the original game added a lot of charm, just doesn't play at all so the character'll be standing there until the <WAI runs out and the next bit of the event plays. there's not even a fucking teleport animation????
- lighting is kinda ass, it's hard to make out stuff
- a number of really minor things that bug me - sue's name being cut off in the credits, no visible currents in the waterway, the kinda worthless extra HP capsules that give 1-3 health (and cutscenes too, randomly?), the helicopter on the balcony always has the blades running even when you first see it, the stupid '''3D''' edits of the CS+ portraits, blah blah blah
- remastered is the only soundtrack, they didn't even include the original for some reason
- can't flip controls :[
- no chance of a remake on a more powerful console c'mon nicalis i would kill to see a better quality version with a solid lighting system and actual animations it has so much potential

Jun 4, 2021 at 12:49 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
For me it was the music, environments, updated weapon/item icons, updated facepics. Also... the new areas, more spread out upgrades, and rebalancing also made the game feel new again, just a little.

- best official soundtrack remix i will die on this hill
The CS3D music remixes were so good that Nicalis backported them into CS+ as an extra soundtrack option.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2021 at 8:32 AM
"Huzzah!"
Ima be real with you, ive never played this, but I gotta say:
I think its goofy graphics are amazing, and the music is good too

Jun 20, 2021 at 3:47 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Never played it, but I think the prinny cap and nemesis challenge being added to the main game was neat.

Jul 10, 2021 at 10:56 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I like some of the new sections (extra Labyrinth, Egg Corridor Detour) as someone with a lot of experience with the original.
The new map system is SO MUCH BETTER than the basically unusable map from the original and I'd argue we should have it in modern ports.
The new soundtrack is remarkable and while DannyB's style doesn't work for some of the calmere pieces, the energy in the faster sections is amazing (Labyrinth Fight is great FIGHT ME)

Nov 15, 2021 at 6:57 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
The ost is pretty good

Nov 16, 2021 at 12:59 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
As YOUR local Cave Story 3D #1 hater, the music was great

As YOUR local Cave Story 3D #1 hater, the music was great
also the new areas were a nice surprise