Utilities Section. What have I missed?

Oct 6, 2008 at 5:27 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Oct 8, 2008 at 2:08 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I tried to download CaveEditor on the Utilities page earlier today, but when I tried to run it, I got a message about not having some component for it installed. The same happens for the one in the topic on it in the forums, so is there any secondary part for CaveEditor that I have not seen, are both link both just messed up, or is it neither? If it's one of the first two, could someone please link to the correct version I'd need to get it working?

Oct 8, 2008 at 2:20 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Cormac said:
I tried to download CaveEditor on the Utilities page earlier today, but when I tried to run it, I got a message about not having some component for it installed. The same happens for the one in the topic on it in the forums, so is there any secondary part for CaveEditor that I have not seen, are both link both just messed up, or is it neither? If it's one of the first two, could someone please link to the correct version I'd need to get it working?
You have the correct version. It seems that the problems you are having are specific to your computer since CaveEditor is working fine over here.

Can you post the error message and where it occurs so that I (or anyone else) can have a better understanding of what is wrong.

Oct 8, 2008 at 2:24 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
The message is:

'This application has failed to start because MFC71.DLL was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.'

It occurs whenever I double click on the editor and try to start it up.

Oct 8, 2008 at 3:07 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Oct 8, 2008 at 3:10 AM
I can has squidburger?
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
After you get that it'll ask you for some other DLL's. Just google and download them, then put them in the caveeditor folder.

Oct 8, 2008 at 3:22 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
innocent.bystander said:
After you get that it'll ask you for some other DLL's. Just google and download them, then put them in the caveeditor folder.
Fix the one on your operating system instead, the link will tell you how. Else you will continue to have problems with other programs as well. The linked page even links to an article stating why you should not "just google and download them".

Oct 8, 2008 at 4:01 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I read the article, and I've found that the problem seems to be that I negated to download some of the automatic Windows Updates for my PC that always pop up on the icon tray. I went to Microsoft's site, and am currently downloading Service Pack 3 from it. I'll see how it goes from there.

EDIT: Well my PC is running better, but it still gives me the same message :/ I don't know what to do at this point, but I guess I might as well find a different way/program to allow me to edit Cave Story's tilesets and sprites.

Oct 8, 2008 at 4:36 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Cormac said:
I read the article, and I've found that the problem seems to be that I negated to download some of the automatic Windows Updates for my PC that always pop up on the icon tray. I went to Microsoft's site, and am currently downloading Service Pack 3 from it. I'll see how it goes from there.

EDIT: Well my PC is running better, but it still gives me the same message :/ I don't know what to do at this point, but I guess I might as well find a different way/program to allow me to edit Cave Story's tilesets and sprites.
You can always just re-install IE and grab the mfc71.dll file from there.

Oct 8, 2008 at 4:57 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I didn't think about that. I might as well give it a try.

Oct 9, 2008 at 2:34 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
innocent.bystander said:
A good idea might be to post the old version of the CS music on the page along with the Beta images.
Well a good idea would be to have individual links to the org files for those tracks on the music page, and add the beta tracks in org format to the Beta page.

Though one thing I want to work on is a way to play org files through flash without converting to mp3. Can you guys tell me how to understand an org file via hex and the format itself or anything I may require to do such a thing?

Yay for improbable projects! :D

EDIT:
Found something:
http://spgardebiter.sp.funpic.de/CaveStory/FAQ/orgfilesdesc.txt

I could probably get flash to grab all of the information from the org files, but I have no idea how to generate music with it.

Are the sounds for instruments stored somewhere? Is it possible to rip them to mp3 format?

EDIT2:
How is the translation of the Mac version of Megane coming along?

EDIT3:
I have gotten to the point where the flash can grab information from the file. Though I have to make a simple change to the org files for it to work, it doubles the size, but they weren't that big to begin with anyway. *shrug*

Still I have no idea how I will go about producing music though. I could lay out all the information from the org file on the screen as much as I want, but that really isn't my goal.

Oct 9, 2008 at 6:15 PM
I can has squidburger?
Oh, the Mac Megane translation? I haven't really worked on it. In the Mac version all of the .bmp's have been turned into .png's with transparency. Their sizes all have to be multiples of 2. That's not my problem though... With Chikuwa.png ('Have a cig!') I have an English image and a Japanese image, in transparent PNG format, with the image centered exactly right, with the exact same dimensions, and the English one gives me a weird bug... I should start working on it again, I can probably figure it out myself.

Edit: Now I've re-replaced the original Chikuwa.png from the Japanese Mac version... and it STILL doesn't work.

:D
Celtic Minstrel- any tips?

Oct 9, 2008 at 7:16 PM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Tips on what? And why are you asking me? :/

Oct 10, 2008 at 12:09 AM
In front of a computer
Yeah, I use a Mac... but what exactly did you want my opinion on?

Also, where would I find this? It might help if I have the program in front of me.

Oct 10, 2008 at 12:20 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
innocent.bystander said:
Oh, the Mac Megane translation? I haven't really worked on it. In the Mac version all of the .bmp's have been turned into .png's with transparency. Their sizes all have to be multiples of 2. That's not my problem though... With Chikuwa.png ('Have a cig!') I have an English image and a Japanese image, in transparent PNG format, with the image centered exactly right, with the exact same dimensions, and the English one gives me a weird bug... I should start working on it again, I can probably figure it out myself.

Edit: Now I've re-replaced the original Chikuwa.png from the Japanese Mac version... and it STILL doesn't work.

:D
Celtic Minstrel- any tips?
Are the png files embedded or external?

If it is embedded then what is the exact size in bytes of the png within the exe?

Actually, send me the english png. I have something that I want to try.

Oct 10, 2008 at 12:40 AM
In front of a computer
Most likely it's internal, but not embedded. I'll explain in a moment, if I'm right.

Edit: Okay, it's not a (c) Pixel thing if that's what you were wondering, Andwhy.

Just like most Mac applications, it's distributed as an application package. What this means is that it is a folder that looks and behaves like an application. So, the files are in the Resources folder inside the application package.

I'm assuming Innocent Bystander knows this, though. What did you want me to try?

Oct 10, 2008 at 12:54 AM
I can has squidburger?
Yep, I knew that. I was just wondering if maybe you could take a look at the two Chikuwa.png's and see if there's anything that I missed on the copy protection.