Translating to Finnish using Booster's Lab, apparently Courier New doesn't have special characters?

Nov 7, 2021 at 1:24 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I need to use the Ä and Ö letters in my translation, but they're displayed in-game as a jumbled mess, even though Courier New should certainly have those characters.

To put it simply, how do I fix this?

Nov 7, 2021 at 5:25 PM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
My guess is that you don't have your system locale adjusted correctly. Here's the instructions for changing your system locale:
Windows XP:
Click on the start button and select "Control Panel".
If Control Panel is in category view then click on "Date, Time, Language, and Regional Options", otherwise skip to the next step.
Go to Regional and Language Options > Administrative.
Set the dropdown to "[Finnish (Finland)]".

Windows 7:
Click on the start button and select "Control Panel".
If Control Panel is in category view then go to "Clock, Language, and Region", otherwise skip to the next step.
Go to Region and Language > Administrative > Change System Locale.
Set to "[Finnish (Finland)]".

Windows 8:
Right-click on the start button and select "Control Panel".
If Control Panel is in category view then go to "Clock, Language and Region", otherwise skip to the next step.
Go to Region > Administrative > Change System Locale.
Set to "[Finnish (Finland)]".

And this page for doing it on Windows 10: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/132050-change-system-locale-windows-10-a.html
You might consider trying the "Use Unicode UTF-8 for worldwide language support" option that shows up in that last window, but I don't know if that will work.

Alternatively, you could also use a locale emulator, but I've never tried this myself.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2021 at 6:20 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
My guess is that you don't have your system locale adjusted correctly. Here's the instructions for changing your system locale:

And this page for doing it on Windows 10: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/132050-change-system-locale-windows-10-a.html
You might consider trying the "Use Unicode UTF-8 for worldwide language support" option that shows up in that last window, but I don't know if that will work.

Alternatively, you could also use a locale emulator, but I've never tried this myself.

My system locale was Finnish anyway, but the UTF-8 trick worked... partially.

Now there's an unnecessary space bar after almost every Ä letter, but never for the first two or three of a text box for whatever reason.

Nov 7, 2021 at 6:42 PM
Based Member
Ah yeah, sometimes the spacing doesn't quite show up right when using a font or locale that the game wasn't originally designed for. That would probably require some assembly hacking to fix.

Just as a Hail Mary, I would suggest double-checking if there's some other character that's in the script that's causing this, and also checking the number of characters in each line, or just trying to see if there's any other kind of pattern that you can observe. You could also try posting a screenshot of this and maybe a few sample scripts where this occurs, and maybe we might be able to spot something weird that sticks out to us.

Nov 9, 2021 at 12:02 AM
Based Member
Interesting. Could you also paste your modified version of event #500 in the "Shelt.tsc" script that runs in that room? I'd like to see if I can reproduce that issue on my end.

Jul 22, 2022 at 3:24 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Interesting. Could you also paste your modified version of event #500 in the "Shelt.tsc" script that runs in that room? I'd like to see if I can reproduce that issue on my end.
1.Doukutsu_a6BgQmpS7a.png2.Doukutsu_R6I4TGZF0J.png
3.Doukutsu_PHbtgURckB.png

There is something weird with all of this.

So I am working on my own Finnish translation too, at first I was just using noxid's TSC script editor + paint.net, Im about 97% done, I just need to do another read-through, test normal ending and hell+best ending and finish up translating credits, since it was little pain I remembered I have the room names left too, so I booted up boosters lab since I dont know any other way to edit room names, so I translated all of them and saved, and what happened everything looked like in the first image, including text that previously(before saving with boosters lab) was completely normal looking, including ö/ä/å. Then I googled and found this thread, so I went to my windows settings and I had everything set to English, other than keyboard which is set to Finnish, so I enabled the beta UTF-8 and it ended up looking like picture 3, with extra spaces, I tired to change the font but it didn't do anything.

So I went back and unchecked the UTF-8, but I set other language and region settings to Finnish and rebooted, now everything edited with boosters lab looks like pic 1, and when only using TSC editor everything looks correct like pic 2.. The extra space thing seems to be issue with the "Use Unicode UTF-8 for worldwide language support" thing(picture 3, even with the deafault font).

Heres the #500 from straight copy&paste from both editors:
..They look identical to me, so heres zip with the actual files:

One thing I noticed when I started, is that with just noxids editor, when word ends with ö/ä/å for some reason the game ignores the next line break or command, but If I add space or other character after that then it works as it should, that was fun to figure out.

Attachments

• Doukutsu_PHbtgURckB.png
    Doukutsu_PHbtgURckB.png
    35.3 KB · Views: 2
Jul 22, 2022 at 11:46 PM
Based Member
Hi JP32, thanks for joining and sharing your findings.

Looks like the main issue here is with the difference between Booster's Lab's TSC encoding algorithm and that of Noxid's standalone TSC Editor. I downloaded your zip file, and opened the two folders up in WinMerge, which is an application that compares files for differences, and it seems that there are indeed some discrepancies between the two "shelt.tsc" files on the binary level, and that may be impacting how the text shows up in the game. Try swapping out the different versions of that .tsc file specifically, and see if that will make it change between the 2 states of picture 1 and picture 2.

If so, then that confirms my theory that the two applications are encoding the TSC files a little bit differently. If not, then it's possible that Booster's Lab is messing up something in the .EXE that causes the TSC parser to behave oddly, but I find that less likely.

If I had more time to spare, I'd love to look at the source code for Noxid's two different applications and see the differences in the way it's encoding those applications and see if I'd be able to compile a version of Booster's Lab that doesn't distort those files. But in the absence of that kind of solution, my workaround would be to keep a folder of all of the .tsc files that serve as the "source of truth" so that whenever you need to make changes to things like map names, you can just replace the "corrupted" .tsc files with the script files that were only edited by Noxid's TSC editor.

If the map names also have this problem with the extra characters, you might be able to work around this by using a hex editor to change the map data without relying on Booster's Lab.

Jul 23, 2022 at 6:45 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Yeah seems like its 100% issue with just boosters lab. I just tired using Wistil's cave editor instead and it works 100% no issues:

p377870-0-vmlhsgc.png

(just an quick test).

But anyways, thank you. I'll report this to the boosters lab author on github and maybe it'll get fixed someday.

Jul 23, 2022 at 3:17 PM
Based Member
Just saw your issue report on the Github project. Can't guarantee that Noxid himself will see it since he's been inactive on this site for almost 3 years, and his last activity with that git repo was almost a year ago, but there are others to maintain it, so at least it's on the community's radar.

Glad you were able to find a workaround to this.