Towers version 1

Mar 15, 2011 at 9:39 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I'm still not sure these jumps are possible, because at the moment momentum isn't conserved when jumping off the block. Trying to jump through that first spike corridor just sends me cannoning into them.

The music is really nice though ._.

Mar 15, 2011 at 3:58 PM
Hey.
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
DoubleThink said:
I'm still not sure these jumps are possible.

They are. I've done it. It's just quite difficult.

Mar 15, 2011 at 10:46 PM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
DoubleThink said:
I'm still not sure these jumps are possible, because at the moment momentum isn't conserved when jumping off the block. Trying to jump through that first spike corridor just sends me cannoning into them.

The music is really nice though ._.

Yeah it's just hard.

The song on the bridge is a bad remake of this:

Thesong in the next area is this:

But that was a really lazy remix, as I didn't need all the sound.

The rest of the games songs I made. I simply love the Rayman soundtracks.

Mar 16, 2011 at 2:23 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Actually I like your version better, the melody is clearer and the drum beat is more pronounced.

After I asked Noxid and he explained how you're supposed to do the jumping parts it was fine, and actually very well-done. On to Tower B!
-The first area is again nicely designed, with well placed enemies.
-The enemy jumping part wasn't so great, however. What is meant to be an attractive atmospheric area quickly became tedious, because of their random spawn rate, awkward movement and jump blocking, especially because you have to keep moving to make it across. It also takes a long time for them to even reach you, so I think it could afford to be a bit shorter. Otherwise I really like the idea >_>
-Double jump! More nice use of physics and placement, to take full advantage of its abilities.
-...I see what you meant about that MGM fight, but this gauntlet was taking me so long I turned on hax to get to the end. It takes 2-3 minutes to reach the meat of the fight (i.e. after the second battle), just for me to die from the water again because I slightly miscued a jump or I don't know what's coming. The flying animation is one of the more amusing things I've seen in a mod though :orangebell:

It never ceases to amaze me what people manage to do with this game. Towers has probably the tightest level design I've ever seen in a first release, as well as a great deal of content already. The music gives the game an original feel, a lot like The Untold Story, and the new graphics are generally pretty good. The story so far is intriguing, although it hasn't really developed a lot yet, and has some nice political overtones. The weapon balance has worked out okay too, because the enemies have high HP to compensate, and difficulty-wise it's been tough but manageable so far, aside from that last fight. I remember that there's going to be a shocking tweest at the end of the mod, so if you get it finished quickly enough (which at the rate you're going isn't so unlikely) it could be the first completed mod with a proper ending, "and I'm not just saying that" :(

Mar 16, 2011 at 10:54 PM
I don't anymore.
DoubleThink said:
Actually I like your version better, the melody is clearer and the drum beat is more pronounced.

After I asked Noxid and he explained how you're supposed to do the jumping parts it was fine, and actually very well-done. On to Tower B!
-The first area is again nicely designed, with well placed enemies.
-The enemy jumping part wasn't so great, however. What is meant to be an attractive atmospheric area quickly became tedious, because of their random spawn rate, awkward movement and jump blocking, especially because you have to keep moving to make it across. It also takes a long time for them to even reach you, so I think it could afford to be a bit shorter. Otherwise I really like the idea >_>
-Double jump! More nice use of physics and placement, to take full advantage of its abilities.
-...I see what you meant about that MGM fight, but this gauntlet was taking me so long I turned on hax to get to the end. It takes 2-3 minutes to reach the meat of the fight (i.e. after the second battle), just for me to die from the water again because I slightly miscued a jump or I don't know what's coming. The flying animation is one of the more amusing things I've seen in a mod though :eek:

It never ceases to amaze me what people manage to do with this game. Towers has probably the tightest level design I've ever seen in a first release, as well as a great deal of content already. The music gives the game an original feel, a lot like The Untold Story, and the new graphics are generally pretty good. The story so far is intriguing, although it hasn't really developed a lot yet, and has some nice political overtones. The weapon balance has worked out okay too, because the enemies have high HP to compensate, and difficulty-wise it's been tough but manageable so far, aside from that last fight. I remember that there's going to be a shocking tweest at the end of the mod, so if you get it finished quickly enough (which at the rate you're going isn't so unlikely) it could be the first completed mod with a proper ending, "and I'm not just saying that" :p

You may be the only one to remember what I typed in the idea section. I'm glad you like it. Thanks for the awesome review. I suppose it cold use some cleaning, and that last boss fight was even harder before Noxid and Ollie tested it, "they said to tone it down". The double jump was a gist from Noxid, I just figured out everything about it from an hour of testing. I thankyou for your review and assure you that the plot move a bit slow at first, but after the twist alot of elements move much faster. Please note that I came up with the idea 2 and a half years ago. The next will come a bit slow, as first I'mtaking some time to learn C++ for another project I've been working on. This is actually more of a side project for level design, writing, and spriting practice. But I take it seriously and intend to finish. If anyone is interested in knowing, I was working with some talented friends on a game that is based on light and darkness puzzels, jumping skills, fighting, and currently has no engine, "hence the need of C++". I figure that if one developer in Japan could do it, then three with similar mindsets can as well. If ya wan't to know more I'll Pm you, but this is a Cave Story forum so not caring is fine too.

Apr 9, 2011 at 9:00 PM
Been here way too long...
So any progress on this guy at all?

Apr 9, 2011 at 9:33 PM
I don't anymore.
Lace said:
So any progress on this guy at all?

There's been some progress. but not all that much. I've been working on my music skills, C++, and also been playing Minecraft. Damn you Minecraft!

May 24, 2011 at 10:24 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
ok i like this mod besides the precision jumping i had to do(i hate that)
and well right now i'm stuck at triple(or more) boss fight in tower B i hate the rising acid water part. i keep touching the instant-death water in the second climb :chin:. the fight itself isn't that hard.
ok now for the stats i have hoping not having missed anything
I have 6 hp max.
the sawblade gun
and the sparkgun(since is meelee i live the weapon but too bad it is useless in so many cases:()

May 24, 2011 at 10:37 PM
I don't anymore.
Merder said:
ok i like this mod besides the precision jumping i had to do(i hate that)
and well right now i'm stuck at triple(or more) boss fight in tower B i hate the rising acid water part. i keep touching the instant-death water in the second climb :chin:. the fight itself isn't that hard.
ok now for the stats i have hoping not having missed anything
I have 6 hp max.
the sawblade gun
and the sparkgun(since is meelee i live the weapon but too bad it is useless in so many cases:()

I'll admit that the first release was pretty bad. I'm updating everything to make it better and doing less precision jumps. It seems everyone disliked the jumping. And the spark will be updated to work better. It'll just be better, also the boss fight your on is the last of it, I'll make avoiding the water easier as everyone says it's a bit unforgiving.

May 25, 2011 at 4:38 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
I'm cool with the jumping, aside from the fact that you might run out of things to do with it before the mod's over.

May 25, 2011 at 11:47 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
HyMyNameIsMatt said:
I'll admit that the first release was pretty bad. I'm updating everything to make it better and doing less precision jumps. It seems everyone disliked the jumping. And the spark will be updated to work better. It'll just be better, also the boss fight your on is the last of it, I'll make avoiding the water easier as everyone says it's a bit unforgiving.

I see well hope to reach round 3 soon then(bet it is another Balrog fight with different graphics somehow) and when i reach him he's so going down(maybe even permanently but that i will learn the next release(most likely i guess unless dialog tells me(don't want it spoiled in this thread though))).

and curious to how you want to make it more useful hope not by more strength(already know a boss fight it would be devastating for since most video's and the once i beat him were on meelee range with super missiles(Ballos)) and well as i said i love meelee weaponry so i used it ever since i obtained it till tower B there it usefulness plunged due to those ninja guys and the boss.

Aug 1, 2011 at 1:59 PM
CUSTOMIZED!
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
I hope this doesn't count as a bump... I have a question.
I am in the agricultural area A2 with all the computers and buttons. I can't get part the bit with the presses. I can destroy them with the lightning but them I am stuck in there. Is there some specific combination that you have to do on the computers? Could you give me a clue?
Also in this area you could put a save point just at the beginning because it does get really annoying to keep going all the way up there every time you die...
Apart from this I think it is a really good mod so far :D

Aug 1, 2011 at 4:18 PM
I don't anymore.
Kick Ass said:
I hope this doesn't count as a bump... I have a question.
I am in the agricultural area A2 with all the computers and buttons. I can't get part the bit with the presses. I can destroy them with the lightning but them I am stuck in there. Is there some specific combination that you have to do on the computers? Could you give me a clue?
Also in this area you could put a save point just at the beginning because it does get really annoying to keep going all the way up there every time you die...
Apart from this I think it is a really good mod so far :D

Ah that. Everyone hated that. The presses are supposed to be invincible. you have to activate the terminals in a certain order. Check out the houses for clues.

Aug 1, 2011 at 4:21 PM
CUSTOMIZED!
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
oh okay....OH I think I know :D I remember something now. Thanks

Aug 20, 2011 at 2:45 AM
LSD
"..."
~You still working on this? I really liked it.

Sep 26, 2011 at 12:37 AM
I don't anymore.
This is indeed still going on. I just haven't worked on it in awhile.

Dec 10, 2011 at 2:49 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I really had fun playing this mod. The facepics were a little weird looking to me at first, but it didn't bug me. All I can really say is this mod is pretty challenging, what with the jumping and whatnot.