Towers version 1

Mar 1, 2011 at 11:18 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Well, I played Towers for a while, and it's quite good ! It is hard, but addictive in a strange way. I like the story of the Towers that we can read in two books, in the dead city, and from what I've played, Towers is a good start for a mod.
I'm currently stuck in the power room, but, it seems to be some bug, so I'll just wait for a fix. :rolleyes:

Mar 2, 2011 at 2:59 AM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
Fixed somewhat.

Mar 2, 2011 at 9:11 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Oh hey they work now. I had started my standard write-up before I ran into that bug, so just pretend that this is the first post I made in this thread or something:
Two new mods in a week = happy administrator :D 2011 is looking to be a good year. I'll need to update the Quickie Guide soon as well, but I'll wait to restart replaying Redesign until after I'm sure there's not going to be another bug patch right after I start >_> Anyhew,

WHAT IS IT WITH MODS AND TOWERS ANYWAY

-The game startup scene doesn't appear to be finished, and the title screen music sounds a bit like something KuroKun might have composed when he was still an org newbie.
-The first few areas are promising! The level design is simple but clever and you show a good understanding of the game's physics. Especially liked the water puzzle to get the second life capsule. Graphics aren't too bad either, the floaty balls are cool and the first area has a nice forested temple look to it. The experience capsules are nifty as well. I survived the least-threatening ambush ever, so LET'S HIT THOSE TOWERS!
Cont'd
-The bubble area isn't exactly hard, but the use of them jumping part is nice. I can't remember which mod used them first... The door-opening part (and the 'low HP' style this mod uses) reminds me of Chapter 3 of WTF Story, and the sections to unlock each door are nicely done, especially the one on the lower path.
-Already mentioned the problems with SHG.
-Good mod design: Giving the character an extra-short-range weapon, and then designing an area around learning to use it effectively :) Another generally good area overall, and same for the water section that follows it.
-Also like I mentioned, the puzzle door area was easy after I figured out that there were actual hints for each area >_>
-SAWBLADES HECK YEAH! Really sweet weapon design, it works perfectly. The farm is another nice jumping area, with just a hint of backstory to keep things rolling along.
-Speaking of weapons, the Spark Lv2 and especially Lv3 are crazy powerful, and aren't that hard to use if you know what you're doing.
-Power Centre works fine now, but I ran into a couple of other errors. After lowering the first barrier, the room leading to Mr Generic Marine (from now on MGM) was already open and I could fight him without having to get the Room Key. It also remains in your inventory instead of disappearing after use, and the sign in the Destroyed Space doesn't work properly. That room makes me shudder to think that this is still the "relatively easy" part of the mod... on the other hand, MGM was really too easy/simple, especially for a guy who had just been sitting around in a locked room waiting for you to show up. The bookshelves were interesting reads though.
-Oh hey it's that terminal puzzle I've been told about. And I can't beat it because there are no hints and no indication of what changing them does :( It's possible to kill the Presses before they squish you though, leaving you trapped in the room.

Stopping again until I can get some helps with this :koron:

Mar 2, 2011 at 2:34 PM
I don't anymore.
A couple of the houses have bookshelves in them. The key isn't supposed to disapear and you'll see why he's so easy. I'm gonna have to study the code to fix that fight, but all is good enough for the moment.

Mar 2, 2011 at 2:47 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
HyMyNameIsMatt said:
A couple of the houses have bookshelves in them.
Ah, I did wonder about them but I was too tired to notice/care. Let's see if I can get it now...

EDIT: I dun did it E:

EDIT 2: And now the "little guy that helps me cross large gaps" murders me on contact :C

Mar 2, 2011 at 2:59 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Erm, I can't really figure what to do with the terminal puzzle. Any hints about it ?

EDIT : While waiting for an answer, I used some trick to pass it and activate the final terminal. I played a bit, and am now stuck just before the great gap, on the bridge. The little green thingy only kills me when I touch it, so I don't know how I should use it. Once again, any hints ?

Mar 2, 2011 at 6:11 PM
I don't anymore.
The npc table broke again. Let me see if I can fix it. I know the terminal puzzle is hard. Your suppossed to activate only certain ones. But don't bother, another issue came up and I'll need to make a version 1.2 to fix it. Later today it will be out, "At school right now".

Mar 3, 2011 at 3:27 AM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Pretty major bug: there's no way to return back from the terminal computer at the bottom of tower A; I get stuck.

Less major bug: You seem to have this problem (I swear it's like the most common modding mistake ever >_>).

Level design so far is quite good. Graphics are decent. I like the music for Tower A, but the music for the area with all the wind (I forget the name) seems a bit unnecessarily piercing/dissonant. PLEASE tell me you made it so that it saves which terminals you've activated.

Not much else to say for now, since I'm stuck...

Mar 3, 2011 at 4:14 AM
I don't anymore.
Thanks for mentioning the music, the chain is the way you get back up. But stop playing because theres another bug later that will be fixed by tommorow.

Mar 6, 2011 at 10:10 AM
Pirate Member
Hey, someone help me.

Mar 6, 2011 at 12:48 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Possibly you downloaded it before he updated the link in the first post, which now has a fixed version in it (but has another unpassable problem a short while later)

This was already mentioned in the thread :<

Mar 7, 2011 at 4:33 AM
Been here way too long...
Oh I thought I had already posted in this.
I really, really, really like the stuff up to the curly guy. The open-exploration thing is presented really well, and the level design is excellent. A little pet peeve with the boss is that the save is near the door instead of near the boss, and there seem to be no skipflags. Also the room he is in is uncharacteristically boring. :/ Past the boss in the unders of the tower, I've gotten to the place with difficult jump and water. The turbulence puzzle was annoying, and the area before I found a bit more boring than the normal tower, but hey. So yes, cool work.

(Have you read discworld btw?)

And my sawblades aren'y making the energy boxes do stuff. D:
Also the sawblade is still called the fireball in the item screen.

Mar 7, 2011 at 5:16 AM
I don't anymore.
Sorry there's no fic yet, I've been feeling really sick. I'll do it when I feel beter.

Mar 7, 2011 at 1:41 PM
Pirate Member
Any tips on doing the Terminal puzzle?

Mar 7, 2011 at 3:52 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
WoodenRat said:
Any tips on doing the Terminal puzzle?

There is a bookshelf in a house on the second floor of the residential um.. place, and it sounds like nonsense but it's actually the answer to the puzzle

Mar 7, 2011 at 4:30 PM
Pirate Member
And the moment I entered the new area the path back was blocked so I can't check the bookshelf.

Well ain't that just dandy.

Mar 7, 2011 at 5:35 PM
I don't anymore.
Tell ya what, when I release 1.3 I'll include a strategy guide. a word document with all the answers and heart container info. When I release 1.3 I'll also change up one of the maps a bit so you aren't playing the same map 3 times in a row, "most likley the water filtration center".

Mar 8, 2011 at 2:41 AM
Been here way too long...
hm thanks for pointing out the fixed version. :awesomeface:
oops.

any idea on when you may get a new demo out?

Mar 8, 2011 at 6:07 PM
I don't anymore.
The fixed demo should be out later in the week, version 2 should be out in a few months.

Mar 11, 2011 at 8:08 PM
I don't anymore.
This demo should be totally fixed now. The fight with Silver Hair guy is fixed and has slip flags. The little guy from the bridge no longer kills you as well. I hope this is the last fix i have to make. Now I can work on the second release.