Jan 8, 2008 at 10:48 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Jan 9, 2008 at 1:05 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Roonil Wazlib said:
Magnetism lol. The Core can change the amout of charge it holds towards the ceiling to move upwards and vice versa.
How about... the same way that the island floats.

Jan 9, 2008 at 6:56 AM
Respwnt
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
andwhyisit said:
How about... the same way that the island floats.
That's where I got the idea from. The ceiling and floor are charged the same as the Core's outer shell, so that they repel each other. To counter act the force of gravitaion of course, the replusion from the floor is at a greater force. The problem with this theory is that the core is roundish, so it'll virually keep spinning if the magnitudes of the charges are altered, and you NEED that aleration to have it move up or down. Maybe the Core is flatter than we think. Or the charged part is only a point or so. But this makes sense because the pawns keep revolving around the main core, so I expect all the pawns to be connected with the adjecent ones as well as the Core itself to form a merry-go-round sort of structure.

But how the heck does all that keep the island afloat?

Jan 9, 2008 at 7:50 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Roonil Wazlib said:
That's where I got the idea from. The ceiling and floor are charged the same as the Core's outer shell, so that they repel each other. To counter act the force of gravitaion of course, the replusion from the floor is at a greater force. The problem with this theory is that the core is roundish, so it'll virually keep spinning if the magnitudes of the charges are altered, and you NEED that aleration to have it move up or down. Maybe the Core is flatter than we think. Or the charged part is only a point or so. But this makes sense because the pawns keep revolving around the main core, so I expect all the pawns to be connected with the adjecent ones as well as the Core itself to form a merry-go-round sort of structure.

But how the heck does all that keep the island afloat?
A Jenka did it. :D

Roonil Wazlib said:
And why the heck does destroying the Core return the mimigas to their original form.
It doesn't. Killing the doctor does that, and the doctor possessed core.

Jan 9, 2008 at 8:43 AM
Respwnt
andwhyisit said:
It doesn't. Killing the doctor does that, and the doctor possessed core.
Killing the core does SOMETHING. Rember what Kazooma says when you refuse to leave with him? And Misery does mention "I suppose you're here to destroy the Core".

Jan 9, 2008 at 7:45 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Jan 9, 2008 at 8:04 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Roonil Wazlib said:
Killing the core does SOMETHING. Rember what Kazooma says when you refuse to leave with him? And Misery does mention "I suppose you're here to destroy the Core".

Misery meant that she thought they were going to destroy the island, sacrificing themselves to save the surface.

Jan 9, 2008 at 9:53 PM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
Kageryushin said:
Misery meant that she thought they were going to destroy the island, sacrificing themselves to save the surface.
Perhaps she thought you were trying to destroy something she values?
I mean, she explicitly stated:
I care not for this island, it is simply my fate to obey the will of the one who wields the crown.
(Paraphrased)

Maybe there is something on the surface she doesn't want dstroyed?

Jan 10, 2008 at 8:19 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Roonil Wazlib said:
Kaz00ma said destroying the core restores mimigas to their original forms.
I thought he said that it was the only way to stop another doctor from arising but maybe I was wrong. :D

EDIT: Yes I was, my bad. Must remember to research more.

Jan 10, 2008 at 9:56 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Roonil Wazlib said:
How do all the monsters reapper eveytime you go through a door?
Serious questions please.

Jan 10, 2008 at 6:44 PM
andwhyisit said:
Serious questions please.
I'll awnser ANY and ALL questions.

One of two reasons:
A: They breed really really fast and the offspring are too small or stay offscreen (3D~)
B: Those poofs of smoke when you kill them? No, that's the smoke from them getting blasted off map.

Jan 11, 2008 at 7:24 AM
Justin-chan
Back to the topic of Quote's hat... For this one post or something...

What if Quote's hat was really another version of the Demon Crown? Just that it grants him main character abilities of defeating everyone and able to revive after death?

Fine, my logic sucks. But what if the hat built Quote? The hat needed a host for moving around.

Jan 11, 2008 at 12:41 PM
Luls
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
jcys810 said:
Back to the topic of Quote's hat... For this one post or something...

What if Quote's hat was really another version of the Demon Crown? Just that it grants him main character abilities of defeating everyone and able to revive after death?

Fine, my logic sucks. But what if the hat built Quote? The hat needed a host for moving around.

em lame.

Jan 11, 2008 at 5:58 PM
Roonil Wazlib said:
How come Quote doesn't short circuit in water? Water-proofness depends on the depth, but the airmeter doesn't go any faster when you're 100 meters underater.
I always thought is was because Quote was gas-powered...

Jan 12, 2008 at 1:35 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
My handwave for a bunch of things. About five minutes of vigorous palm motion.

The island is a floating island. There're a lot of them in fantasy, but it doesn't really matter how it floats so much as that its "natural state" is floating*.

A long time ago: Ballos goes completely nuts. He tries to kill everyone.
Jenka decides that's a bad idea, so she tries to isolate him, teleporting him to the floating island. Ballos, having no teleportation ability of his own (it would have shown up when you fought him) decides to kill everyone and free himself by causing the island to crash to the ground. Jenka counters this by making the core, which has the ability to screw with gravity and acts as a seal on Ballos' power. The water in the core's room acts as a gravitational sink - it can be raised or lowered in order to offset any fluctuations in the power struggle.

Slightly less of a long time ago: Misery decides that all that crazy powerful magic shouldn't go to waste. She approaches Ballos and gets him to make the Demon Crown, which would let the wearer use some of Ballos' intense magical powers. Like any story with an evil genie, he grants her wish, but gives it a nasty twist. She is bound to forever serve the master of the crown, and every time the crown is used it acts as a corrupting influence since Ballos hates everything. This creates all sorts of nasty stuff as time goes on, such as the red flowers, spikes, et cetra. All of hell (since it's closest to Ballos it would logically have more corruption), and almost anything red and evil can be attributed to this.

Ten-fifteen years before the game: Some scientists (Responsible for most of the modern influences upon the island. Probably including Malco and the power room) find the core. They see a fluctuating water level and are all "Sweet! Free energy!"**. They build platforms in the room for observation or something.*** Some killer robots come through and try to destroy the base (presumably since the scientists are from another country). They attack the core since it's central to the power generation operation, and get wiped out.

Later on: Quote kills the core. Ballos is now free to try to kill everyone. He starts stage one of his plan, bringing the island crashing to the ground. When Quote and Curly kill Ballos, he isn't adding any extra downward acceleration anymore, so the island stops falling. Incidentally, since Ballos is spending a vast amount of energy pulling the island down he isn't fighting at his full "destroy a city in one instant" capacity.

*The game says Jenka confined Ballos to a floating island. It doesn't say she confined him to an island and then made it float.

**Vaguely Supported by the music track being called "geothermal"

***The core would be virtually unbeatable if those platforms weren't there to let you dodge the shots. I assume that Jenka originally had it in a platformless flooded cave, which would make it much better at protecting itself