The Science of Cave Story

Jan 8, 2008 at 3:05 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
andwhyisit said:
FACT: Balrog isn't a toaster.
FACT: Balrog isn't a briefcase.
FACT: Balrog isn't a lunchbox.
FACT: Balrog isn't a tv.
FACT: Balrog does not have a handle, that is just the top of the door behind where he was standing.
FACT: The balrog-is-a-toaster thing started because he looked like one and someone drew a balrog on the side of a toaster.
FACT: Malco is proof that there is more types of robot than the soldier type.
FACT: Balrog shoots missiles.

He is a friggin' robot. I already made this point on another thread.
Gandaflandbalrogpic.JPG

Jan 8, 2008 at 3:12 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
cookie said:
I meant Balrog from CS not LotR.
balrogandbalrogpic.jpg

Sorry, I got lazy with this pic.

Jan 8, 2008 at 4:39 AM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
andwhyisit said:
FACT: Balrog isn't a toaster.
FACT: Balrog isn't a briefcase.
FACT: Balrog isn't a lunchbox.
FACT: Balrog isn't a tv.
FACT: Balrog does not have a handle, that is just the top of the door behind where he was standing.
FACT: The balrog-is-a-toaster thing started because he looked like one and someone drew a balrog on the side of a toaster.
FACT: Malco is proof that there is more types of robot than the soldier type.

He is a friggin' robot. I already made this point on another thread.

I have no idea who made him though.

More like this btw:
MonsterXChasm.jpg
lol
Rant about what Balrog isn't~

I know he's not a toaster...
And everything else on the list.

Fact: Balrog also shoots bubbles and energy spheres.
And what about Pooh Black?
Are you gunna tell me there's robot ghosts?

Perhaps Balrog was a robot, but in some backwards-ritualized transmorgification he accidentally got turned into his present state...

Or perhaps he is the son of Ballos?
Then he and Misery'd be cousins...
Which would explain their close realtionship. (Not that way, sicko.)

Or maybe Misery MADE Balrog, as a sort of punching bag.
That would explain why Balrog did what Misery told him to at the end of hell...

Jan 8, 2008 at 4:51 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
I'd like to point something out: you really don't completely understand the "science" of Cave Story. Why? Because you usually can't. You're fishing in the dark here. We have enough material to diagnose some things, but usually, we just don't know enough about the world. Some things make perfect sense when we put several things we know together, others are just too arguable to me valid.

Furthermore, some questions just don’t even matter. This is directed specifically at the question having to do with Quote’s ability to turn in midair. Not only can most platform warriors do this, you’ve got to take some liberties when you’re making a game. This is amazingly irrelevant to the point of ridiculousness.

Balrog was meant to be just that: Balrog. This was directly stated by Pixel when he unveiled the production scraps from when Cave Story was being made.

Jan 8, 2008 at 5:01 AM
Kageryushin said:
I'd like to point something out: you really don't completely understand the "science" of Cave Story. Why? Because you usually can't. You're fishing in the dark here. We have enough material to diagnose some things, but usually, we just don't know enough about the world. Some things make perfect sense when we put several things we know together, others are just too arguable to me valid.

Furthermore, some questions just don’t even matter. This is directed specifically at the question having to do with Quote’s ability to turn in midair. Not only can most platform warriors do this, you’ve got to take some liberties when you’re making a game. This is amazingly irrelevant to the point of ridiculousness.

Balrog was meant to be just that: Balrog. This was directly stated by Pixel when he unveiled the production scraps from when Cave Story was being made.
Occum's Razor: All things being equal, the simplest and most obvious solution is probably the right one.

(That doesn't really have anything to do with this, it's just fun to say.)

I will give you that Balrog is just Balrog, though. That I can accept.

As for the turning in mid-air, I personally chalked that up to acrobatics and athletisism. I mean, in the early NES days, it'd be kinda hard to show a character rotating, so it was simply ommited. But look at olympic divers and acrobats - they do all kinds of stuff mid air (turns, flips, ect.), so it's not impossible. I mean, Mario, Quote and Greg Louganis (Gold Medal Springboard Diver - 1988) all start on the ground and can all turn in mid air and stuff. Besides, it's so ingrained in our minds that it just works that it doesn't really matter if they show the turning or not, thus it became part of the style.
But uhhh...
Everything here is just my interperetation.
I could just be insane.

Jan 8, 2008 at 5:09 AM
Been here way too long...
"What're YOU lookin' at?"

And where else to fire a missile than a toaster slot?

FACT: There is no science behind cavestory. Cavestory is a game, made for fun, not reasonable conflict. Go play the game, and enjoy it, rather than ranting on about the mysteries of it.

FACT: Pixel sugested that everything in the game is however we want to perceive them. No two human being can perceive the same thing the exact same way, and therefore, conflict simply causes more conflict.

FACT: The below fact is true.
FACT: The above fact is false.

Jan 8, 2008 at 5:20 AM
ZTaimat said:
And where else to fire a missile than a toaster slot?

FACT: There is no science behind cavestory. Cavestory is a game, made for fun, not reasonable conflict. Go play the game, and enjoy it, rather than ranting on about the mysteries of it.

FACT: Pixel sugested that everything in the game is however we want to perceive them. No two human being can perceive the same thing the exact same way, and therefore, conflict simply causes more conflict.

0: Hehe... Toaster slot. Though, if truth be told, the first time I saw Balrog I tought: "Oh great, now I gotta fight a sardine can... With... Mittens?"

1: If I don't study the science of videogame worlds, I'd go crazy with boredom. And I do enjoy CS. Waaaaay too much. I've skipped meals to play. I've even team-play (me on weapons and jumping, my friend on D-Pad) run through hell. I've fallen asleep with CS running just so I could hear the sounds. My fricken MP3 player has MP3's of every track from the game. I have f***ing Curly Brace underwear.
TMI?

2: Meh, I render opionions based on the observable fact and infer more from what I understand about the world and it's rules. I never said I was right. I just think so others don's have to.

3: Both of ZTaimat's statments are true 50% 9 times out of 10.

Jan 8, 2008 at 5:45 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
ZTaimat said:
I said that, I like to find logic-based answers to cave story questions rather than scientific ones, but this does still interest me.

ZTaimat said:
FACT: You did not state which above fact or which below fact. :D

DragonBoots said:
My fricken MP3 player has MP3's of every track from the game.
Look at the link in my sig, I have more music on mine. :D

Jan 8, 2008 at 5:52 AM
andwhyisit said:
I said that, I like to find logic-based answers to cave story questions rather than scientific ones, but this does still interest me.

FACT: You did not state which above fact or which below fact. :D
lol
Logic is the root of science.
Alright, logic, then science, then failing those, a wizard did it.

FACT: Individual addresses are redundant when referencing an entire subset.
Error 458378x703 - Your logic is DEADBEEF

Jan 8, 2008 at 6:56 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
DragonBoots said:
FACT: Individual addresses are redundant when referencing an entire subset.
Error 458378x703 - Your logic is DEADBEEF
Question mark?

Jan 8, 2008 at 6:59 AM
andwhyisit said:
Question mark?
Atsign percent ampersand dollarsign period @%&$.

What I was trying and failing to says is his entire below is true/above is false paradox is that it's true half the time nine times out of ten.

Jan 8, 2008 at 7:33 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
DragonBoots said:
What I was trying and failing to says is his entire below is true/above is false paradox is that it's true half the time nine times out of ten.
What I was saying was that it was not a paradox because it could be specifying any above/below fact, not just the ones directly above or directly below.

Sorta like how when someone asks me whether the glass is half full or half empty I ask what action brought it to that state, emptying or filling the glass. :D

Jan 8, 2008 at 7:58 AM
Respwnt
andwhyisit said:
What I was saying was that it was not a paradox because it could be specifying any above/below fact, not just the ones directly above or directly below.

Sorta like how when someone asks me whether the glass is half full or half empty I ask what action brought it to that state, emptying or filling the glass. :D
Awesome logic. :D

An important information relating to the Balrog question is what you see in the intro scene. Any guesses what I mean here?

Jan 8, 2008 at 12:49 PM
Luls
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Roonil Wazlib said:
Here's my question: How does Quote's hat stay on in the normal ending even when he's falling upside down.

Lol because when he is falling down, air resistance forces his cap onto his head.

Answer me this:
How does the Undead Core float? o.o
And why doesn't Quote rust lmao.

Jan 8, 2008 at 1:12 PM
Respwnt
Metalogz said:
Lol because when he is falling down, air resistance forces his cap onto his head.

Answer me this:
How does the Undead Core float? o.o
And why doesn't Quote rust lmao.
Air resistance won't be a factor unless he was holding onto his hat while he dropped.

Magnetism lol. The Core can change the amout of charge it holds towards the ceiling to move upwards and vice versa.

Quote isn't made of iron, I suppose.

Jan 8, 2008 at 2:04 PM
Luls
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Roonil Wazlib said:
Air resistance won't be a factor unless he was holding onto his hat while he dropped.

Magnetism lol. The Core can change the amout of charge it holds towards the ceiling to move upwards and vice versa.

Quote isn't made of iron, I suppose.

Maybe his hat is magnetic! Hes a robot...

Or maybe he was built WITH the hat. o.o

Jan 8, 2008 at 7:15 PM
Metalogz said:
Maybe his hat is magnetic! Hes a robot...

Or maybe he was built WITH the hat. o.o
Or maybe Quote was built from the hat down?

Jan 8, 2008 at 8:57 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Obviously Quote is so advanced that he explains himself. This is my main point when I say things like how he turns in midair are irrelevant.

But the hat thing... Can't beat that. WTH is going on there?

Jan 8, 2008 at 9:42 PM
My money is on the hat having an invisible chinstrap.
Mhm.