The Red Ogre Letdown

Feb 6, 2024 at 9:03 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Ok, so imagine being hyped up to be this big, strong monster, that only real heroes even are capable of meeting. Then you realize you are a jacked up Gaudi Warrior/Orange Being in the Plantation. Like, im serious, obviously Arthur beat him. He's weaker than the second Balrog fight. Sad though, I think this is the only letdown this game has.

Feb 6, 2024 at 11:56 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Wonder if there's a reason he was weaker than expected? Or if it's just the huge difference between Mimiga and Quote the Killer Robot (good guy!). I mean we do see King get destroyed by a direct hit from lightning. (Though he also one-shots Balrog iirc...?)
If Quote is able to defeat a Crown Bearer which can wage war on the surface, I imagine the Red Ogre was just less of a threat to you the hero. Maybe fight him again with lvl 1 blade, and 10 hp and no jetpack to put on a better show?

Of course some questions remain, like why does the Red Ogre turn into a statue after beating him? Does he keep coming back to life making him dangerous? Is he intelligent? Is he being controlled by the Crown Bearer's influence while the Doctor is alive? Making him cursed to be a guardian, waiting in the corridor? (Arthur lost to Misery/Balrog, but defeated the Red Ogre... I only assume the Red Ogre showed up before the Doctor took the Crown, but don't think anything specifies that?) It is odd that the "Red Ogre" did not pick on any of the Mimiga below... Unless he was sealed in there?

Or is the Red Ogre more like a ghostly apparition? Only shows up in the 2.0 Booster route. He was slain by Arthur right? Maybe he was defeated then. And what we encounter is something... other? (Again turning to a statue is odd...) Would be interesting if the Red Ogre didn't show up if you don't have the Blade, or if there was some effect with using the lvl 3 blade to defeat him or Misery...

Well I dunno the logic, but I agree a proper boss fight against a non-reskinned Red Demon would have been very interesting and could have added lore...

Feb 7, 2024 at 4:25 AM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Hm, interesting, I never thought of the Red Ogre as a let-down, since it felt like an appropriate mini-boss for a more challenging version of last cave. But, I get what you're saying that he is less significant than a lot of other boss fights. I agree with X-Calibar's analysis about his fierceness and how he needs to be less powerful than Misery in order for it to make sense that Arthur was able to fight him off.

Feb 7, 2024 at 5:43 AM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Welp, it could be worse. The Beast Fang would've hyped him up even more if it was actually obtainable in the vanilla game. While it was obtainable in the 3DS version, it was put with a new flavor text saying that it's supposed to be an unobtainable item.

Feb 8, 2024 at 2:31 AM
"Huzzah!"
I definitely see what you mean, but gameplay-wise it was probably meant to be a simpler mini-boss in the middle of what was intended as a kind of training ground for the Booster v2.0.

In the story, Mimiga are super weak. As in, REALLY really weak. So the fact Arthur was able to take down the Red Ogre was probably genuinely worth the praise he got.

Feb 8, 2024 at 8:38 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Wonder if there's a reason he was weaker than expected? Or if it's just the huge difference between Mimiga and Quote the Killer Robot (good guy!). I mean we do see King get destroyed by a direct hit from lightning. (Though he also one-shots Balrog iirc...?)
If Quote is able to defeat a Crown Bearer which can wage war on the surface, I imagine the Red Ogre was just less of a threat to you the hero. Maybe fight him again with lvl 1 blade, and 10 hp and no jetpack to put on a better show?

Of course some questions remain, like why does the Red Ogre turn into a statue after beating him? Does he keep coming back to life making him dangerous? Is he intelligent? Is he being controlled by the Crown Bearer's influence while the Doctor is alive? Making him cursed to be a guardian, waiting in the corridor? (Arthur lost to Misery/Balrog, but defeated the Red Ogre... I only assume the Red Ogre showed up before the Doctor took the Crown, but don't think anything specifies that?) It is odd that the "Red Ogre" did not pick on any of the Mimiga below... Unless he was sealed in there?

Or is the Red Ogre more like a ghostly apparition? Only shows up in the 2.0 Booster route. He was slain by Arthur right? Maybe he was defeated then. And what we encounter is something... other? (Again turning to a statue is odd...) Would be interesting if the Red Ogre didn't show up if you don't have the Blade, or if there was some effect with using the lvl 3 blade to defeat him or Misery...

Well I dunno the logic, but I agree a proper boss fight against a non-reskinned Red Demon would have been very interesting and could have added lore...
Great analysis dude! I think you are right in everything except the fact that I should try doing it with in a weaker state. I personally believe that the game sould create fun challenges and not the player. Still, I recently started an hard mode playthrough, so I'm kinda gonna do it.

Apr 2, 2024 at 11:09 PM
It Really Do Be Like That Sometimes
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Hm, interesting, I never thought of the Red Ogre as a let-down, since it felt like an appropriate mini-boss for a more challenging version of last cave. But, I get what you're saying that he is less significant than a lot of other boss fights. I agree with X-Calibar's analysis about his fierceness and how he needs to be less powerful than Misery in order for it to make sense that Arthur was able to fight him off.
Should be noted that Arthur was only killed by Misery/Balrog in the Aeon Genesis translation, the official translation makes it so that he was killed by "The Doctor himself", which seems like a very deliberate change. So I'd say that Arthur only has to be less powerful than the Doctor.