The Mimiga Army

Jul 17, 2010 at 9:44 PM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
To be honest the mod was pretty easy. As far as mods go, that is.

You don't have the right to say a mod is easy...

WTFstory was so hard, it made me start eating razorblades.

Jul 17, 2010 at 10:01 PM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
WoodenRat said:
You don't have the right to say a mod is easy...

WTFstory was so hard, it made me start eating razorblades.

Not really that hard, took me two hours.
:/
yes on hard mode.
It just takes a bit of patience.

Jul 18, 2010 at 10:48 AM
Pirate Member
It sure does doesn't it...

Jul 18, 2010 at 8:38 PM
inactive user
"All your forum are belong to us!"
RETURN AFTER THE WEEKLONG VACATION
Damn it's humid in New Jersey

Should I make a Mimiga Army "Hard Mode"?

If you found it too easy I'd gladly ramp it up

Jul 19, 2010 at 3:33 PM
"Huzzah!"
If you want the game to be mroe difficult, then why dont you just neglect to pick up the optional power ups? The health, guns etc?

I didnt find it too easy. I found it a pleasant challenge, noticed a spike of difficulty in the cave. I kicked myself when i used the lifepot after the doctor fight. Because rigth after theres a health refill and ballos. Soi had to fight him with 32 HPi think and no life pot, something i'm not used to, because i havent mastered that boss. But i overcame it, because it was fun!

Jul 19, 2010 at 3:49 PM
inactive user
Miles_Valentine said:
If you want the game to be mroe difficult, then why dont you just neglect to pick up the optional power ups? The health, guns etc?
WoodenRat said:
You can just skip all the savepoints as well as life capsules.
I'm seeing a trend....

Jul 20, 2010 at 12:01 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
sixtyseconds said:
SHIT!
DAMMIT! I thought I fixed that!
And i forgot what it was I did that time too!
Crap!
Oh yeah, and there's a secret. Can you find it?
I'll give you a clue....
p98602-0-dn0xup.jpg

That's all you get.

Is it that life capsule that requires the booster to get on the mountaintop?

Jul 20, 2010 at 1:50 AM
Pirate Member
sixtyseconds said:
I'm seeing a trend....

I just hope this doesn't force some dude like Noxid to remove ALL the drops from enemies.

Jul 20, 2010 at 3:02 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
WoodenRat said:
I just hope this doesn't force some dude like Noxid to remove ALL the drops from enemies.

That would actually be really easy. So easy, in fact, I could do it in under a minute :0

if I had the offset handy.

Jul 20, 2010 at 8:20 AM
"Huzzah!"
Thats amazing! It could make the original cave story so much harder, without forcing the player to do a 3HP run. A way of making the task "harder" than it normally would be, but not insanely hard. I havent heard much about global offsets like that!

Jul 20, 2010 at 2:16 PM
Pirate Member
Noxid said:
That would actually be really easy. So easy, in fact, I could do it in under a minute :0

if I had the offset handy.

Yeah about that. Don't do it.

Jul 20, 2010 at 4:52 PM
graters gonna grate
WoodenRat said:

That's so easy; doesn't even require assembly. Just write a program to go through npc.tbl, set experience to zero for every entity, and unset "drop heart/missile" flag.

And how the hell are you supposed to get past the place after the Clock Room!?!? I had to edit a savepoint in at the start cause I was so sick of having to keep going through the Clock Room. And then I had to edit the crap out of that map ("Departures?" I think it was called) to make it beatable. And other people are saying it's easy, so I'm guessing I missed something important like Booster v2.0 along the way. Same thing with the map that used to be the Last Cave (the downward wind at the start is impossible to get past with the Booster v0.8, but would be possible with 2.0). Making it so that the mod is unbeatable if you missed an item earlier is horrible practice. If you just make it so that missing an item makes it much more difficult, or leads to a different path, that can be good as it adds some non-linearity to the mod.

There is some good level design here, like in the Clock Room and the suicide dam. But you're still WAAAAY overusing instant death spikes in later parts of the mod (based on earlier comments, it sounds like this used to be the case in earlier parts of the mod too, but you cleaned it up a bit due to people's complaints).

The Doctor seems waaaaay too nice/polite. Very out of character for him. He doesn't have to be necessarily angry/mean, but he should be much more arrogant/condescending/sarcastic like in CS ("Oh no, don't thank me; have fun you three", or "Allow me to explain it... in a special lecture!" for example).

Skipflags are your friends. It's really annoying having to go through bits of "OSHT" dialogue at the beginning of maps like Clock Room and Power Plant every time you die.

That's about all I have to say, since I gave up after getting sick of having to edit all the unbeatable parts.

Jul 20, 2010 at 4:59 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Yeah WoC if you're at the clock room and you don't have the booster 2.0, well then you missed the booster 2.0

Jul 20, 2010 at 5:07 PM
graters gonna grate
Damn, that makes the Clock Room's level design seem much less awesome. I was originally very impressed at how he made the Clock Room just barely beatable with like pixel perfect timing and stuff, but with the Booster 2.0 it would be cake :eek:

Judging by DT's post, it seems I also missed the Spur at some point? I'm guessing it's because I skipped over the Cave (literally over the top of it) and went directly back to the Island in the helicopter without exploring the surface more?

Jul 20, 2010 at 5:09 PM
inactive user
Wedge of Cheese said:
Damn, that makes the Clock Room's level design seem much less awesome. I was originally very impressed at how he made the Clock Room just barely beatable with like pixel perfect timing and stuff, but with the Booster 2.0 it would be cake :eek:

Judging by DT's post, it seems I also missed the Spur at some point? I'm guessing it's because I skipped over the Cave (literally over the top of it) and went directly back to the Island in the helicopter without exploring the surface more?

Did you even notice the Waypoint??? :eek: Thats where you get all the stuff.

Jul 20, 2010 at 5:09 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Wedge of Cheese said:

Yeah there's a room where you get a shitload of upgrades, including the nemmy or blade as well. It's a shame you missed it.

Jul 20, 2010 at 5:16 PM
graters gonna grate
Well, that would explain people saying that the later parts of this part aren't very difficult. Lol Gir, I was about to get annoyed at you for complaining about TWoR being too hard and then saying that this mod's too easy, but you're forgiven :eek:

Jul 20, 2010 at 5:21 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Wedge of Cheese said:
Well, that would explain people saying that the later parts of this part aren't very difficult. Lol Gir, I was about to get annoyed at you for complaining about TWoR being too hard and then saying that this mod's too easy, but you're forgiven :eek:

I don't know I think I'll just hate you forever for that death-spike boss. Sure, it's fixed now, but it still was somewhat poor design since you had to go through a LOT of level to get there, and you couldn't exactly run through all that level like you could hell.

Also the Ice place before that was pretty bad difficult too, and it just makes me glad that I found that glitch where you would actually miss falling inbetween the 2 moving walls of death. There were enough saves there (just enough).

Jul 20, 2010 at 5:24 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Oh, and SS, if you are using CE, you can put entities outside of the playing area, so I suggest for that unfixable point, make an H/V trigger, and set up all the things on the entitie, then copy the entity, put you mouse over a spot near the middle of the map that you can fall off of, and hit CTRL + V.
Do note that I don't think you'll be able to remove/edit this entity anymore.

Jul 20, 2010 at 5:30 PM
inactive user
adark said:
Oh, and SS, if you are using CE, you can put entities outside of the playing area, so I suggest for that unfixable point, make an H/V trigger, and set up all the things on the entitie, then copy the entity, put you mouse over a spot near the middle of the map that you can fall off of, and hit CTRL + V.
Do note that I don't think you'll be able to remove/edit this entity anymore.

I'm using SW. So fuck that.