The flowers in Arthur's house.

Dec 12, 2011 at 4:46 AM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Quote's hat, Quote's pants, Misery's eyes, Chaco's lipstick, Booster's glasses, the heart/bow on Curly's panties, the machine gun, the spikes, save points, health stations, hearts, Deleets, the eyes of Mannans, Presses, Crows, Skullheads and Skullsteps.

Sounds like a solid theory, let's run with it.

Dec 12, 2011 at 4:50 AM
Little Bitch in Sheep Clothing
"..."
Captain Fabulous said:
Quote's hat, Quote's pants, Misery's eyes, Chaco's lipstick, Booster's glasses, the heart/bow on Curly's panties, the machine gun, the spikes, save points, health stations, hearts, Deleets, the eyes of Mannans, Presses, Crows, Skullheads and Skullsteps.

Sounds like a solid theory, let's run with it.

OH CRAP. BLOODS.

Doctor = God

I think the doctor can kill all the living characters off by just adding their blood pressure. Maybe mimigas have white bloods?

Dec 12, 2011 at 4:59 AM
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
Ballos' eye, red flowers, the Red Crystal, those acid drops in Last Cave, that acid in Last Cave, the blood stuff in PrtEggs, Level 2. Fireball and Snake...
Sounds about right.

Dec 12, 2011 at 5:02 AM
Dunc2403 said:
Red Crystal

But he does have control of that...
And thanks for getting everything I missed, perhaps there is hope for the theories section yet with a new generation of users like you.

Dec 12, 2011 at 5:07 AM
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
Captain Fabulous said:
But he does have control of that...
The Doctor said:
The power! I can't control it!:muscledoc:

I've had enough fun with this thread. Only real theories coming from me on this thread now.

EDIT: I won't be needing a sarcasm detector, btw. I just choose to sometimes disregard sarcasm.

Dec 12, 2011 at 5:17 AM
Little Bitch in Sheep Clothing
"..."
Captain Fabulous said:
Why do I have to get angry on your little insult?
And the best way to detect sarcasm from you is.
Read your username

Dec 12, 2011 at 5:46 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Red PANTS
"Quote...? Why are you walking towards those Red Spikes? Quote..???? !!!"
*ahem*
:muscledoc: Anyway... Here are a bunch of random clarifications and thoughts related to Billy MT's post~

Billy MT said:
But wasn't the robots sent in after years ago? I mean, Doc Booster said himself that Quote and Curly (though she's not present ATM) came in from a party from six years ago, during Miakid's reign as we're left to wonder. Even if the flowers were under Ballos's magical frenesi toxin, I doubt that would keep the petals in Arthur's house without wilting after that much time O_o

Ten years ago, the robots arrived on the island. Curly and Quote arrived around that time as well. Before Miakid got the Crown, but after the robots had trashed the island.
It doesn't mention any other robot or person that might have come with them. Except that they were under different orders from all the other robots.

As for how the flowers might have survived... Well, it wasn't just petals; I believe*** they were whole flowers growing there, in Arthur's basement. I don't know what that truly implies though...
But, we find Red Flower petals in Igor's Egg Corridor lab; and we find Red Flower petals in that house in Grasstown...
Does that mean both Igor and that other Mimiga ate the Red Flowers recently? Actually, how much does a flower wilt in a protected dry enviroment over years? It would still be sort of intact right? Just totally shriveled up etc...? Perhaps the Red Flowers are somewhat magical, so the Flower doesn't wilt like a normal flower? I mean supposebly the Red Flower's effects will disappear with the destruction of the Core, so maybe the Flowers too won't wilt until the Core dies? (Ballos did live seemingly forever...)

If they were eaten recently... Then I have to wonder why Igor wasn't controlled by the Demon Crown. Even Pixel himself said Igor's master wasn't the Doctor, but some other scientist unrelated to the Kazuma family... [probably someone from the 10 years ago?]
(I am curious as to why Igor wasn't being controlled though... although maybe he was partially under the Doctor's control after all? Even if his true Master isn't the Doctor, perhaps capturing Sue was partially the will of the Doctor...? At that point, he probably didn't know how to properly control them anyways, since he hadn't found any flower yet, and probably no frenzied Mimigas.

Otherwise... I suppose it's possible, that Igor ran into Sue and thought he needed to use the Red Flowers he had saved...? Turning him into the monster Igor to capture Sue? Igor does seem like a strange one... Since most Mimiga turn into smaller Ravil, maybe Igor is a little special since he becomes that huge frenzied Mimiga, although Toroko...?

Personally I think maybe the Red Flowers were used in that lab/Egg Corridor. It might explain the Dragon Zombies... I always thought they were using something like the Red Flower in controlled amounts to raise the many dragons. [Red Flower/Red Crystal/wild magic seems to bring things back to life with great power]

Billy MT said:
Then again, they're never explained in-game properly. Jenka said all the red flowers were sealed in the Sand Cave.
I believe Balrog says the Red Flower seeds are sealed in the Storehouse in Sand Zone... Perhaps even with Red Flowers, it's hard to grow more of them? You need those seeds...

I'm not here to cause you-
any trouble.
I just came by to pick up the-
key to the warehouse.

You know, the warehouse with-
the flower seeds!!

Billy MT said:
Also, Arthur didn't died exactly by the Doctor's hands, but from "a red devil at his command". Best guess we have about it is the Red Giant from the Final Cave (Secret). Seeing how he's just a glorified grunt and that it somehow nets a medal, I'm guessing it's supposed to represent we just bested the mimiga's former champion by defeating this miniboss and got the medal to prove it.
As Noxid says; it doesn't say anything about the Doctor controlling the red devil/demon, in fact it states otherwise. So, it's anyone's guess as to when Arthur battled that monster.

Toroko's older brother,
Arthur, fought a red ogre...

This island's terrible ogre,
The thing would eat Mimiga-
after Mimiga...

This really has nothing to do-
with the Doctor but...
The ogre has lived on this-
island since the old days.

Arthur sent that evil beast-
away from our village-
permanently.
It was so brave of him to-
put himself in harm's way for-
the sake of the island.

And it sounds like the Doctor might have personally killed Arthur in the new translation. Although, it's possible I suppose that the henchmen could be responsible still. (They are controlled by the Doctor after all...)

Though Arthur was killed by-
the Doctor, he is still a-
real hero to us Mimiga.

Also, I wonder why Jack said permanently? Maybe he killed the Demon and he turned into a Staute...?

Dec 12, 2011 at 9:57 PM
Banned
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Technically, it says he only sent him away from the village, so maybe Arthur just drove him off and threatened to kill him if he came back.

Dec 12, 2011 at 11:19 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
I believe that the red flowers were some of the ones used in the red flower war of ten years ago. Either that or they are new shoots. Either way I doubt that Arthur knew they were there. Then again maybe he knew about them and forgot to weed them after he died. Dying tends to do that.

Dec 14, 2011 at 6:01 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Billy MT said:
I doubt that would keep the petals in Arthur's house without wilting after that much time O_o
Well they appear to grow in every other subterrannean/indoors area just fine. I also doubt they thrive on sunlight, and there's a pool of water a few steps across so I couldn't see them wilting from being cultivated in someone's basement. (Maybe that's his secret hydroponics system..) XD

They appear to have a fast reproduction cycle, directly proportional to the amount of water that you pump into them. It also seems as if they shed their petals naturally, and are relatively low-maintenance (growing in an abandoned locked up warehouse and all.) I think they were completely uprooted upon the rocket's completion as well, which leads me to assume that they're annuals or biennials - otherwise his basement would be completely covered in vines.

(They never covered the area of demonic, virtual flowers, but I do have a degree in horticulture.)

Noxid said:
Jack says it's a thing that eats Mimigas and Arthur fought it, nobody ever mentions the doctor and the red demon in the same breath.
I think in one version it says he was killed by a red demon, in the next version it says he'd killed by the doctor? I never really understood it, I just assumed that he kicked the demon's ass and then got stomped by the doc shortly after.

I also noticed that it said "sue was turned into a mimiga by misery" on nicalis' old CS website, I always assumed (and still do) that it was the doctor. If that were the case, then how could she mistake toroko for sue and yet remember a similar/same robot from 10 years ago?

Lots of conflicting junk came with the translation.

Dec 14, 2011 at 4:22 PM
Indie game enthusiast
Felidire said:
I think in one version it says he was killed by a red demon, in the next version it says he'd killed by the doctor? I never really understood it, I just assumed that he kicked the demon's ass and then got stomped by the doc shortly after.

I also noticed that it said "sue was turned into a mimiga by misery" on nicalis' old CS website, I always assumed (and still do) that it was the doctor. If that were the case, then how could she mistake toroko for sue and yet remember a similar/same robot from 10 years ago?

Lots of conflicting junk came with the translation.

KingPC said:
Toroko... I can't believe it...

Toroko's elder brother, Arthur,
was a fabulous warrior.

But he was killed by one of the
Doctor's goons.

And now, I...I couldn't protect her...

KingWii said:
Not Toroko too...

Toroko's older brother.
Arthur was our strongest-
warrior.

But he was killed by the-
Doctor himself.

I wasn't even able to-
protect Toroko...

JackPC said:
Toroko's brother Arthur
fought against a horrific
red monster...

The terrible demon of
this island that feasts
on Mimigas.

It's not the Doctor,
it's...something else.
That demon has lived
on this island for ages.

It came here to the village,
but Arthur single-handedly
drove it back.
His gallant figure alone shielding
our village from harm...

I'll never forget it, as long as I live.

He may have finally been killed
by the Doctor, but he was a true hero.

JackWii said:
Toroko's older brother,
Arthur, fought a red ogre...

This island's terrible ogre,
The thing would eat Mimiga-
after Mimiga...

This really has nothing to do-
with the Doctor but...
The ogre has lived on this-
island since the old days.

Arthur sent that evil beast-
away from our village-
permanently.
It was so brave of him to-
put himself in harm's way for-
the sake of the island.

I'll never forget it.

Though Arthur was killed by-
the Doctor, he is still a-
real hero to us Mimiga.

ItohPC said:
I'm Itoh, one of the humans
who came to this island
to do research.
That witch Misery turned
me into this...

I managed to get away,
but... just look at me.

ItohWii said:
I'm Itoh.
I'm one of the humans who-
came to study the island.
Misery gave me this lovely-
new Mimiga appearance.

I could probably run away,-
but take a look at me and-
how I am now.

Also here's a thread with some of the translation differences :
http://www.cavestory.org/forums/threads/3254/

Although it says the Doctor himself killed Arthur. It could be argued that the Doctor ordered or had Misery kill Arthur. We saw Misery blow away King when, he got too close to The Doctor.

But, without the Red Crystal we haven't seen the Doctor do anything except teleport. So... unless he had a trick up his sleeve, like a one-shot kill gun; then I don't see how he defeated Arthur himself. But, if had Balrog distract Arthur, and Misery finish him off... "Do it!" "Yes!"

Hmm... whatever happened it seems the Doctor is to blame.

As for Misery turning Sue into a Mimiga. We saw Misery turn Balrog into a frog, and both translations say Itoh was turned into a Mimiga by Misery. So, it's probably safe to say Misery transformed Sue.

Why did Misery not notice Toroko wasn't Sue if she transformed her?

Well... I might imagine sheep. You see two young females. If you've only paid some attention to them; it would be easy to confuse the two.

Misery didn't recognize you right away, and you apparently gave her a lot of trouble the last time she was awake. So, she might have a little trouble with faces.

Also, although it isn't really shown; Sue used to have that fish pendant... If Misery saw that pendant in Quote's hands... Then it would be fair to conclude, if she looks like Sue... and has the same necklace... then it must be Sue!

As for the voice difference... well, we don't know how the transformation may have or may not have affected Sue's voice. Also, we don't know if Sue was wearing the same shirt when she was human.

Dec 15, 2011 at 6:26 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
X-Calibar said:
Hmm... whatever happened it seems the Doctor is to blame.
I swear someone implied that he was killed by the red demon... No matter, I always felt that it was the doc who killed him directly.

X-Calibar said:
We saw Misery blow away King when, he got too close to The Doctor.
We did? I always thought it was the doctor who sent him flying (I also assumed that he killed Arthur in the same way.) All we see is Misery flying off, and then a bolt of lightning coming down between her and the doc - if the electric came from beneath her then i'd agree, but it comes from the ceiling and lands directly at the doctor's feet.

As for Misery turning Sue into a Mimiga. We saw Misery turn Balrog into a frog, and both translations say Itoh was turned into a Mimiga by Misery. So, it's probably safe to say Misery transformed Sue.

Why did Misery not notice Toroko wasn't Sue if she transformed her?

Well... I might imagine sheep. You see two young females. If you've only paid some attention to them; it would be easy to confuse the two.

Misery didn't recognize you right away, and you apparently gave her a lot of trouble the last time she was awake. So, she might have a little trouble with faces.

Also, although it isn't really shown; Sue used to have that fish pendant... If Misery saw that pendant in Quote's hands... Then it would be fair to conclude, if she looks like Sue... and has the same necklace... then it must be Sue!

As for the voice difference... well, we don't know how the transformation may have or may not have affected Sue's voice. Also, we don't know if Sue was wearing the same shirt when she was human.
I dunno about the clothes, i'd assume she was still wearing the same things she had on before busting out of the plantation prison? She also mentioned in her note that they were forced to work for the doc once he obtained the crown, which surely would've been enough time for mysery to become acquainted or at least observe them all. Plus she could be wearing a rainbow-coloured sweater, black glasses and a jamacian wig for all it matters, her scar is still a complete and total giveaway.

You mentioned the necklace.. Despite being waterlogged for the better part of fuck knows for how long, Balrog probably smelled it and that's why he came kicking down the door. So first we get her kidnapped, and then we kill her? (Makes you feel like even more of an ass, right?) xD

Dec 15, 2011 at 11:00 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Then what I said is all a translation trip-up? About the Red Devil slaying Arthur, I mean. It's not on Pixel's original so it shouldn't be considered as true

Dec 15, 2011 at 7:26 PM
Indie game enthusiast
That thing about the necklace, I could see that happening lol I felt bad about Toroko before... but, man. Also, that might explain Misery's mistake, Balrog probably led her to Toroko, and she was the last female in the village...

Besides, Misery should be having nightmares about Quote's Red cap by now; if she had to fight him once before; she doesn't even properly look you over :D

Felidire said:
We did? I always thought it was the doctor who sent him flying (I also assumed that he killed Arthur in the same way.) All we see is Misery flying off, and then a bolt of lightning coming down between her and the doc - if the electric came from beneath her then i'd agree, but it comes from the ceiling and lands directly at the doctor's feet.
Oh my
HOW many times have I played the game and didn't notice that the lightning appears behind Misery?! Thanks for that heads up...

...huh... so the Demon Crown/Doctor has a special one-hit kill lightning strike attack. I always figured it was Misery because in her battle she uses those black lightning orbs.
Then Whyyyyyyy doesn't he use that on Quote? Instead of shooting the weird red orbs. Maybe he got caught up with his new toy Crystal, and decided to not use the same old proven lightning strike attack? ....

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm...............................................
Well, it still could possibly be Misery, since :
Cutscene's defy game logic.
Misery's battle uses lightning strikes.
Doctor's battle doesn't use lightning strikes.
Misery was right there, maybe it's just well aimed, although it nearly hits the Doctor...

If it IS the Doctor it expands on the Demon Crown's range of power, but I whyyyy doesn't he use that in battle........

*is torn*

Billy MT said:
Then what I said is all a translation trip-up? About the Red Devil slaying Arthur, I mean. It's not on Pixel's original so it shouldn't be considered as true
I don't think it ever says anything about the Red Demon or a monster defeating Arthur in either translation, I can't find anything on it...
So, yeah no Red Devil has defeated Arthur. Just the Doctor or possibly a henchmen...

Dec 16, 2011 at 4:46 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I do remember one of the characters saying he was killed by a red demon, but I have no idea who said it. I don't think the demon had anything to do with his death but i'm positive someone did say that - just wish I remembered who..

Dec 16, 2011 at 5:54 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Toroko specifically says that Arthur was killed by the doctor. So I'm pretty sure none of the characters in game say that arthur was killed by the demon.

Dec 16, 2011 at 5:39 PM
Indie game enthusiast
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.................................... ...........
Well, it still could possibly be Misery, since :
Cutscene's defy game logic.
Misery's battle uses lightning strikes.
Doctor's battle doesn't use lightning strikes.
Misery was right there, maybe it's just well aimed, although it nearly hits the Doctor...
Just a little update... Apparently Misery's lightning in her battle is BLACK! And the Doctor's lightning is exactly like Ballos' lightning attack, I believe. So, that means it must be the Doctor who used that attack.

Don't know why he doesn't use that attack in his battle, but oh well...

Something fun I discovered... You can have as many black lightning orbs following you around as you want in Misery's battle. If you just jump over them, and let her keep spawning them, you can fill up the screen with creepiness.

Dec 16, 2011 at 7:14 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
X-Calibar said:
Just a little update... Apparently Misery's lightning in her battle is BLACK! And the Doctor's lightning is exactly like Ballos' lightning attack, I believe. So, that means it must be the Doctor who used that attack.

Just because Misery uses black lightning in her battle doesn't conclusively mean that she can't use white lightning. Your proof is inconclusive.

Dec 16, 2011 at 11:09 PM
Indie game enthusiast
:sun: GIRakaCHEEZER has spoken! :sun:
Gahhh!! You!

Yeah, I cannot deny the possiblity... and before now I always thought Misery killed King (and Arthur...), especially since Jack said it was one of the Doctor's henchmen that killed Arthur in the PC translation.
I always wondered why Misery didn't use that powerful lightning attack from the cutscenes, since it seems different than the black lightning's shape.

However, now with the new translation and the odd placement of the lightning; I wouldn't mind seeing the Demon Crown gain an offensive ability... Then it would make sense if the Doctor himself actually killed King and Arthur.

A possiblity why the Doctor never used the lightning bolt on Quote if that's true... perhaps it has to be used right next to the Doctor; so it would work fine on charging Mimigas, but not so much on gun toting robots.

In any case... hmm...