The Dark Platform - After The Fact (Mod)

Apr 24, 2009 at 11:36 AM
Hax on....Hax off....
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
whyme said:
I know what you mean (ROFL)

Jesus that's kinda scary
I haven't finished that game but I know that it's a bitch but that makes me scared to go all the way up to the mecha birdo fight

Edit: Hahaha! I got up to mecha birdo and beat him
But now I'm stuck on the helicopter thing with bowser cause in it's second form when it's about to shoot the missle and jump really quickly and I always press the start button which screws everything up and it happened EVERY time

Apr 25, 2009 at 1:30 AM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
So I'm in Winnipeg this week (until Thursday), so ALL progress will be stopped.
You can expect a new update on Friday or Saturday (Sunday the latest...).
I'll be spending most of this week between comforting my mother and re-storyboarding what I've lost.
Ugh.
Misery, she loves her company.

Anywho, feel free to drop some comments about the mod.
Suggestions or questions welcome.
And please inform me of any glitches.
^_^;
I try, damnit.

Apr 25, 2009 at 2:49 AM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
hem.
It takes a lot to motivate me to do something, so just letting you know that I'm about half motivated to hack what I said I said I'd hack for you a while back. (plus a special prize!!!)
ciao

Apr 26, 2009 at 12:50 AM
HOLY POODLE, PEOPLE!
NOBODY POSTS ON THIS DANG FORUM ANYMORE.
RISE, DEAD, RISE!!!!

Apr 26, 2009 at 12:54 AM
The Town Bicycle *cough*
"Keep on rollin'!"
yes i know. and i usually try my best to prevent it too.

Apr 26, 2009 at 2:58 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Jesus fucking christ dude will you take your Ritalin already and cut it with this bullshit?

Apr 26, 2009 at 5:18 AM
DoubleThink said:
Jesus fucking christ dude will you take your Ritalin already and cut it with this bullshit?

I was on Ritalin for years.
Left me a little damaged.
>_>
So DT, find the second IGR expansion in Hydroponic Farm?

Apr 26, 2009 at 8:18 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
ritalin.. the devil's drug. everyone believes it'll help, but it dumbs you down. i was on it for about a month. felt like i was hitting my head against a brick wall every time i tried to think or create something. also a bitch to get rid of, by the way... >_>

Apr 26, 2009 at 1:47 PM
I AM NOT ADHD. (I thunk...)
also, to add to this completely random post, it's 93 degrees here, and it's killing me.
I do not like hot temperatures.

Apr 26, 2009 at 8:42 PM
Dekker3D said:
ritalin.. the devil's drug. everyone believes it'll help, but it dumbs you down. i was on it for about a month. felt like i was hitting my head against a brick wall every time i tried to think or create something. also a bitch to get rid of, by the way... >_>

So there was a reason I liked you.
:3
I got out of having to take it by pretending to be attracted to moving vehicles.

Apr 26, 2009 at 10:30 PM
Anywho.

A few words:

We are not a war here, Curly. This is a fight, much like one between small children on a playground; there is a lot of mouthing off and "My-dad-can-beat-up-you-dad"-isms, and maybe a punch will be thrown. But in the end we all end up suspended.

Apr 27, 2009 at 8:48 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
moving vehicles, eh? heh, i got out easy, my parents and the doc who prescribed the ritalin all knew that i wouldn't do something i didn't agree with. i only had to deal with one hell of a headache when i stopped.

anyway, i tweaked the jumping bot to not show it's propeller when it's resting on the floor. it looked odd when one had a little green square showing because it wasn't hidden behind the floor.

i also muted the colours on the mower a bit, which made it a bit more realistic right away. i think i got rid of the toy-look, but i'm not sure.

jumpy.png

mower.png

i just replaced the old pictures, so you'll have to refresh to see it.

Apr 27, 2009 at 9:01 AM
Dekker3D said:
moving vehicles, eh? heh, i got out easy, my parents and the doc who prescribed the ritalil all knew that i wouldn't do something i didn't agree with. i only had to deal with one hell of a headache when i stopped.

anyway, i tweaked the jumping bot to not show it's propeller when it's resting on the floor. it looked odd when one had a little green square showing because it wasn't hidden behind the floor.

i also muted the colours on the mower a bit, which made it a bit more realistic right away. i think i got rid of the toy-look, but i'm not sure.

jumpy.png

mower.png

i just replaced the old pictures, so you'll have to refresh to see it.
lol
I didn't get the headache.
>_>

Regarding the critters, I do like the change, but I think I'll keep the current ones in O. Plat and use those in a later place (maybe as the spitters...).

And, uh.
WHO TOLD YOU THEY'RE CALLED MOWERS?!!!!
Seriously.
That was developers secret between me and me.
But, uh.
Nice.
Maybe tone down the foot-cups a titch.
Iunno.

EDIT: I tweaked it a little in IrfanView.
p31253-2-mower.png

Still dunno.
p31253-3-anibase.png

It'll be replacing the mud guys.

Apr 27, 2009 at 11:54 AM
how'd I know they were called mowers then?
also, dekker isn't in the credits, you terrible person.

Apr 27, 2009 at 12:28 PM
mower.png

3-frame aggressive animation, and grey boots as i intended them. they're still big, but they don't look as ugly anymore. the turning blade thing is made to be completely un-transparant. i could change it to let some background colour through, but i don't think it'd look too good.

Apr 27, 2009 at 12:44 PM
Source Splicer, 2nd Class
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Being late causes me to create another Spoiler wall, but with good intentions...

It's been awhile since I last played TDP & posted here, so I got around to it. I didn't test the abrupt message cut thing I mentioned in the last post I made, so I'll move ahead to the Personal Shelter...
I see that the damage dealt from the Defense Grid was halved, which is good, but I guess the old strategy would still work, as well. Surprisingly, I actually managed to dodge the Grid shots this time, even though it doesn't look like the overall room design changed.

Though probably not my brightest move, I decided to play through the "hard" path, using only the IGR Cannon (I get the Enviro-Field & advance down into the unexplored segments of TDP). After a bit of looking around, I go up the right passage & get the extra ammo for the IGRC, but on the way down, I went over the edge a little too far & instantly vanished, then came the message, "You burn up in the atmosphere...". so, yep, I had to get it again, this time going slowly over the edge this time, but I still get too close to the Construction Area's left side & burn up once more...

Skipping ahead past all the other sidescreen burns & block crushings (Even though one time it didn't even look like it got me...), I notice a computer console blows up & a teleporter activates. I guess I didn't need the Chainlaser to get it after all, huh? Naturally, I save when given the opportunity & go to the bottom segment. The moving blocks weren't too much trouble at first, but it required a little more effort to get back alive... After getting back, I save & proceed ahead, only to encounter the title's BSoD. The death on that part (Yes, then No) was kind of funny in an ironic way... Somehow, I pictured one of the forum spambots going down this way when it happened. I wonder what the consequence will be for not re-routing the access to the neural systems in BSoD?

Since I wouldn't save until I had an understanding of the next area, I kept going through all those BSoDs & other events over & over again until I finally decided to save in the quarters (After dying to the Rotten Roast & Red Demon Autothresher, which caused me to spend even more time getting back...). Also, touching the pipe while the irrigation system is deactivated causes 127 damage? Ouch...

While it doesn't seem to be possible to defeat RR with the IRGC alone, I did manage to bring down A-Thresher, after I realized I didn't really need my weapon maxed out to defeat it... Surprisingly enough, the main character's portrait when speaking with Samantha kind of looks like a cross between Xaser's character portraits in Schism & Rick from the webcomic RA: Legends, along with an antenna earpiece thing being added on. Maybe my eyes were deceiving me, though, so, moving ahead to the irrigation pipe death (Again, this time it didn't cause -127, but it did say, "The force of the water crushes you.", so there was no real change aside from the missing death music.

In fact, all of this area's story progress was completely avoidable if I bounced off of the topside enemies to each of the consoles. The "Inner Defence" area was rather rough on that last jump. If I time it too late, I drop faster than when simply walking off a normal edge (And, in turn have to restart because, once again, I burn in Heaven, metaphorically speaking...). Conserving ammo here was a real pain to do, since I quickly found that the Night Spirits weren't giving many spare IGRC shots most of the time.

Secondary's barriers got me directly only once due to slow reaction (Come to think of it, I was planning on doing this with all of TBS's forcefields before finalizing it, but having the damage value at 100 instead of 127). Primary was, indeed, the primary cause of pain... The fans' flames deal 20 (I only had 17 health, so things didn't go so well most of the time) & those Armor Gaudi dealt 11 with their blades (Nice to see a new damage value added in however). The rest, I won't spoil, but after reaching the end of the current release, I'm very impressed. TDP definitely has a bright future, great job!
One more thing regarding the F&T text file- Orange Bell's bats dealt 2 damage instead of 3 when I tried bouncing off of them. I guess they have separate damage value times when they drop down like the new critter bots?
EDIT: Somewhat selfish remark about me not having to deal with a removed enemy has vanished.
Dekker3D said:
It's not my intention to sound like a wannabe, but, as fate would have it, I, too, was on Ritalin, but since the 1st or 2nd grade. I could definitely tell something wasn't right, as my "behavior" didn't change at all while I was taking it... Whether or not I was on Ritalin, I feel that I was almost entirely the opposite of who I am today in terms of socialization, levels of tolerance, & even physical endurance (Though that last one is likely not affected by Ritalin...).

I guess nobody could foresee the long-term effects until about a decade later when the topic of Ritalin & a possible alternative solution appeared on a news report (Too late for me, though... I'm progressively recovering, but it's not entirely out of my system).

(So this explains why, even though I stopped taking Ritalin before the 8th grade, my learning abilities were not so great throughout my 5th-10th grade periods... Especially when it came to Social Skills subjects, since I didn't really have a social life aside from family, which I believe doesn't count for that kind of assignment... What were they expecting out of me? Did I even belo- No, I'd... Better stop right here before I go into more details... Let alone change the main focus on The Dark Platform into The Ritalin Legends...)

Apr 27, 2009 at 3:44 PM
geh. social skills shouldn't be a prerequisite of schools, since they suck at evaluating them in the first place. i had to deal with that too, once..

anyway, i can't wait to see how this animation would look ingame. i guess i'll have to add a jump and attack first though. any comments so far?

Apr 27, 2009 at 8:40 PM
Dekker3D said:
geh. social skills shouldn't be a prerequisite of schools, since they suck at evaluating them in the first place. i had to deal with that too, once..

anyway, i can't wait to see how this animation would look ingame. i guess i'll have to add a jump and attack first though. any comments so far?

Wow.
You quite clearly have a bright future in graphics design.
That is.
Exactly what I meant.

Of course, the actual incorperation of the Mowers/Autothresher will have to wait until my return to Victoria on Thursday.
In the mean time, however, I'll be making a spoiler vid for "How to beat the Rotten Roast with only your IGR Cannon".

And, Bad Beholder, Primary is designed to be a pain.
And if that isn't enough, it gets worse.

Also, BB, I designed the Terminals to open the door so that you CAN skip the entire Hydroponic Farm storyline (either with the Chainlaser or Bat Bouncing).

Apr 27, 2009 at 11:01 PM
Apr 28, 2009 at 12:16 AM
know whats odd?
I always thought you lived about four thousand miles south of where you do. Odd.
also, vids are nice, and you still haven't credited dekker.