The Cave Story Transcription Project v2

Aug 3, 2015 at 10:16 PM
The "C" in "college" is for "crippling debt".
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
The Cave Story Transcription Project
What started out as a simple music project developed into a partial-edit of Cave Story.
Explore special developer areas as you play through the original game with brand new and unique BGM tracks!
Special rooms, bosses, and more!
Full Features List:
  • Many developer rooms, including the Developer's Lounge, the Tower of Time, Arthur's Room, and more!
  • 32 brand new ORGs replacing the original Cave Story soundtrack, including transcribed and remixed music from Super Mario Galaxy, Kero Blaster, Pokemon, and more!
  • A secret ending!
  • Featuring bosses, music, and enemies based off of Kero Blaster!
  • Package includes copies of all of the music, as well as a modded Organya.
Screenshots:
Screenshot (13).png
Screenshot (14).png
Screenshot (15).png

Version Info:
v1.0
-First version of mod.
-Complete and thoroughly checked for bugs.
v2.0
-Added new "Hall of Secrets" where all developer rooms can be accessed.
-Addressed issues with duplicates of weapons.
-Added reward for Round Two of Misery's Game.
-Added rewards for defeating the Black Thing.
-Fixed a few grammar errors and bugs.
-Fixed crediting errors.
*Forgot to fix Core Room*

Downloads:
v1.0 - First Version
v2.0 - Latest Version

Notes:
The developer rooms can only be accessed by getting the "Developer's Key" from the computer in the Developer's Lounge (optionally accessed at the game's start).

Credits:
Credit for ORGs in the ReadMe included with the package.
Special thanks to TPcool for help with some of the earlier ORGs included in the package, as well as "Hard Cording".
Special thanks to Pixel Studios for Cave Story and Kero Blaster.
Mod inspired by ZarroTsu's edition of Jenka's Nightmare.

Aug 3, 2015 at 10:28 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
can you please explain what you are taking 'transcription' to mean in this context

Aug 3, 2015 at 10:38 PM
Noxid said:
can you please explain what you are taking 'transcription' to mean in this context
I KNOW it is incorrectly named, but the name was set a while ago and I suppose it's stuck that way now. Besides, "The Cave Story Transcribing Project" sounds weird.

Aug 3, 2015 at 10:48 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
no but, I really don't understand what you were even /trying/ to get at

Aug 3, 2015 at 10:49 PM
scrungy
SuperJaws100 said:
What started out as a simple music project developed into a full blown partial-edit of Cave Story.
p204339-0-bxubilo.png

Aug 3, 2015 at 11:17 PM
Aar said:
If you all don't have something better to do than berate the POST without even looking at the MOD or the MUSIC, please just stop posting here. This is what deters basically everyone from these forums. Stop being little shits about everything. It's not funny, and it deters people from doing any kind of real work. It's why we haven't seen many large scale projects completed on this forum. Because everyone has to be an asshole and berate everything that's even slightly wrong or off-key about even a FORUM POST.

If you're not going to play/listen to the project, or at least give constructive criticism instead of smart-ass posts that don't do anything, then go away and find somewhere else to post.

Aug 3, 2015 at 11:29 PM
scrungy
SuperJaws100 said:
If you all don't have something better to do than berate the POST without even looking at the MOD or the MUSIC, please just stop posting here. This is what deters basically everyone from these forums. Stop being little shits about everything. It's not funny, and it deters people from doing any kind of real work. It's why we haven't seen many large scale projects completed on this forum. Because everyone has to be an asshole and berate everything that's even slightly wrong or off-key about even a FORUM POST.

If you're not going to play/listen to the project, or at least give constructive criticism instead of smart-ass posts that don't do anything, then go away and find somewhere else to post.
Simmer down there sir
I just pointed out that a line in the post made no sense

Aug 3, 2015 at 11:46 PM
Aar said:
Simmer down there sir
I just pointed out that a line in the post made no sense
Yes, but it was an irrelevant and nit-picky complaint that did not warrant an entire post. You could've added it as an after thought to your post about how much you liked/disliked the mod/music AFTER YOU PLAYED/LISTENED TO THE PROJECT.

Aug 3, 2015 at 11:54 PM
War criminal
SuperJaws100 said:
Yes, but it was an irrelevant and nit-picky complaint that did not warrant an entire post. You could've added it as an after thought to your post about how much you liked/disliked the mod/music AFTER YOU PLAYED/LISTENED TO THE PROJECT.
No one's going to play through a mod just to point out a grammatical paradox posted in the thread.

Aug 3, 2015 at 11:56 PM
scrungy
SuperJaws100 said:
Yes, but it was an irrelevant and nit-picky complaint that did not warrant an entire post.
...I don't see how this is irrelevant.

You could've added it as an after thought to your post about how much you liked/disliked the mod/music AFTER YOU PLAYED/LISTENED TO THE PROJECT.
Yes, I will admit, this is a good idea and I would have done this if I were to play the mod.
Another thing I should add, capitalization really isn't necessary and it just makes your whole point look unprofessional.

Aug 3, 2015 at 11:58 PM
TLincoln said:
No one's going to play through a mod just to point out a grammatical paradox.
Then he shouldn't point it out at all. One tiny complaint does not warrant a hugely sarcastic post, especially when the original post is not the focus of the thread. The focus of the thread is the project. So any further complaints about the THREAD will be ignored, except problems with downloads. If you have CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM about the mod/music, then by all means, post it here. Otherwise, go away.

Is anybody going to actually play this project that I've worked for months on or is everyone just going to berate my grammar? Because honestly, I'm feeling like I shouldn't even bother with this community (or ORG making, or modding, or anything related to Cave Story, for that matter) anymore.

Aug 4, 2015 at 12:11 AM
scrungy
SuperJaws100 said:
Then he shouldn't point it out at all.
Good grammar = People trust that the mod is good = People play your mod

Aug 4, 2015 at 12:13 AM
Aar said:
Good grammar = People trust that the mod is good = People play your mod
You should be able to tell from the fact that I've made one or two grammatical errors that the mod will be nowhere's near as bad as mods where the posts have no structure and very, very poor grammar. And as evidenced by some of your YouTube videos, you do indeed play bad mods, so you have no excuse for not playing this one, if you're assuming it's bad. If you find out it's good, all the better.

EDIT:

It's fixed now. Happy?

Aug 4, 2015 at 12:26 AM
scrungy
SuperJaws100 said:
You should be able to tell from the fact that I've made one or two grammatical errors that the mod will be nowhere's near as bad as mods where the posts have no structure and very, very poor grammar. And as evidenced by some of your YouTube videos, you do indeed play bad mods, so you have no excuse for not playing this one, if you're assuming it's bad. If you find out it's good, all the better.
I never said that I assumed the mod was bad. It looks like you've worked very hard on this, and it has a great chance of being worthwhile.

And, yes, I play bad mods. Most of the bad mods I play are from new users, and, by playing them the way I do, I can teach them a thing or two.
You've been here for a while, so I believe that you have listened to others' criticism in the past, and this mod will probably be worth playing.

It's fixed now. Happy?
I hope you are happy when people come here and play your mod.
Edit: fixed a random line break

Aug 4, 2015 at 1:08 AM
Professional Whatever
Holy fuck the salt in this thread

Aug 4, 2015 at 1:15 AM
War criminal
SuperJaws100 said:
CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM
Thank you for pointing out how mentally retarded I am using such word capitalization like that. For that, I will discuss about your mod. But you're going to need to stop capitalizing words LIKE THIS like we're lower than remedial level speakers.

Now to discuss on the mod.

p204350-0-axycrkh.png

Other than the J looking rather off, what I'm more focused on here is the music. Why does it sound so familiar? I actually like it, even though it kinda sounds like church music.

p204350-1-h1iwmf9.png

I think this is the first partial Cave Story edit I've seen that asks this. It does feel sarcastic, however, as you capitalized "all" in it. Something tells me this capitalization is a common habit that you've been ambiguously doing, not knowing that it could rub off people the wrong way.

Now, for the Debug Room, I can't remember what it's called. So I'm calling it the Debug Room.
People are going to miss the sideways FRI pattern in the center wall when the explore it. Perhaps change the direction of the other solid blocks in the center wall so people can see there's something off in that one tile, leading them to find out you can walk through it?

p204350-2-wrbre4u.png

So do I.

p204350-3-thoukpe.png

Don't you have to have free time in order to procrastinate, not the other way around?

For the Jukeboxes, they do sound good, but I feel that some of the songs sound a little empty in some parts. That's just me, I don't know if it sounds fine just the way it is for everyone else.

I've said yes, now to find out what would happen if I said no to Debug Cat...
p204350-4-hktdc38.png

He...took it very well. Funnily, I get weapons for being a philistine.

Also, I didn't realize it until know that two of the solid blocks in the center wall became walk-through tiles. Again, I think if the solid blocks faced the opposite direction of the walk-through tiles, it'll be a bit more recognizable.

Now for the Inner Wall.

It took me a couple tries to beat Misery's game, I actually need the Snake, but it needs to be leveled up to face Ma Pignon, same goes for the Blade, but it's rather useless based on the terrain used in the level.

p204350-5-7hokwyt.png

I was JUST going to say something about the wall being solid again if you go back to the Debug Room. I was originally going to say something about how redundant it'd be if you use the event flag to keep the blocks being walk-through even with the null entity above the save point if you open the game after exiting, but it'll look weird to see smoke coming from that wall every time you open the game.

I really like how this all went. Now for the fun part of the mod. The actual game.

Okay, this may lead to a potential bug, or rather, an excessive amount of Spurs if I play the game normally after going in the Debug Room.
p204350-6-n95gemv.png

It'll just...be weird. Sure, you can just get the Snake with the Polar Star, but if I am able to get another Spur with this, I suggest setting an event flag to prevent that from happening.

Right now, this is making Quote look OP with two Polar Star variants and an large amount of health.

Where this sentence is right now, I asked if the music in the Forgotten Vale was Animal Crossing music. I just realized that it was Minecraft music.

Also, I just found out the Spur has limited ammo. That'll be redundant if I get the other Spur.

p204350-7-lx6h0mg.png

Now, I've never played the later demos of Heaven and Hell, but is this battle meant to reference the mod?

p204350-8-tf9dmdi.png

Um...Is this supposed to happen? Is there a secret that comes out if I shoot this enough times?

I can never unsee Balrog being a pirate now.

I'm now in Arthur's room and I faced this boss based on the virus bugs from Kero Blaster (correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what they seem like to me)

I don't really have much time to review the whole mod in one sitting, I hope you can take some pointers from what I've put in the spoiler so far and I'll try to finish looking at the rest of the mod later.

Aug 4, 2015 at 1:39 AM
TLincoln said:
Thank you for pointing out how mentally retarded I am using such word capitalization like that. For that, I will discuss about your mod. But you're going to need to stop capitalizing words LIKE THIS like we're lower than remedial level speakers.

Now to discuss on the mod.

p204350-0-axycrkh.png

Other than the J looking rather off, what I'm more focused on here is the music. Why does it sound so familiar? I actually like it, even though it kinda sounds like church music.

p204350-1-h1iwmf9.png

I think this is the first partial Cave Story edit I've seen that asks this. It does feel sarcastic, however, as you capitalized "all" in it. Something tells me this capitalization is a common habit that you've been ambiguously doing, not knowing that it could rub off people the wrong way.

Now, for the Debug Room, I can't remember what it's called. So I'm calling it the Debug Room.
People are going to miss the sideways FRI pattern in the center wall when the explore it. Perhaps change the direction of the other solid blocks in the center wall so people can see there's something off in that one tile, leading them to find out you can walk through it?

p204350-2-wrbre4u.png

So do I.

p204350-3-thoukpe.png

Don't you have to have free time in order to procrastinate, not the other way around?

For the Jukeboxes, they do sound good, but I feel that some of the songs sound a little empty in some parts. That's just me, I don't know if it sounds fine just the way it is for everyone else.

I've said yes, now to find out what would happen if I said no to Debug Cat...
p204350-4-hktdc38.png

He...took it very well. Funnily, I get weapons for being a philistine.

Also, I didn't realize it until know that two of the solid blocks in the center wall became walk-through tiles. Again, I think if the solid blocks faced the opposite direction of the walk-through tiles, it'll be a bit more recognizable.

Now for the Inner Wall.

It took me a couple tries to beat Misery's game, I actually need the Snake, but it needs to be leveled up to face Ma Pignon, same goes for the Blade, but it's rather useless based on the terrain used in the level.

p204350-5-7hokwyt.png

I was JUST going to say something about the wall being solid again if you go back to the Debug Room. I was originally going to say something about how redundant it'd be if you use the event flag to keep the blocks being walk-through even with the null entity above the save point if you open the game after exiting, but it'll look weird to see smoke coming from that wall every time you open the game.

I really like how this all went. Now for the fun part of the mod. The actual game.

Okay, this may lead to a potential bug, or rather, an excessive amount of Spurs if I play the game normally after going in the Debug Room.
p204350-6-n95gemv.png

It'll just...be weird. Sure, you can just get the Snake with the Polar Star, but if I am able to get another Spur with this, I suggest setting an event flag to prevent that from happening.

Right now, this is making Quote look OP with two Polar Star variants and an large amount of health.

Where this sentence is right now, I asked if the music in the Forgotten Vale was Animal Crossing music. I just realized that it was Minecraft music.

Also, I just found out the Spur has limited ammo. That'll be redundant if I get the other Spur.

p204350-7-lx6h0mg.png

Now, I've never played the later demos of Heaven and Hell, but is this battle meant to reference the mod?

p204350-8-tf9dmdi.png

Um...Is this supposed to happen? Is there a secret that comes out if I shoot this enough times?

I can never unsee Balrog being a pirate now.

I'm now in Arthur's room and I faced this boss based on the virus bugs from Kero Blaster (correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what they seem like to me)

I don't really have much time to review the whole mod in one sitting, I hope you can take some pointers from what I've put in the spoiler so far and I'll try to finish looking at the rest of the mod later.
Thank you SO MUCH for not putting in another, "Wow, look, one point of poor grammar." post. One more of those and this thread might get locked for being off-topic.
Uh... what is happening in that last screenshot? I can't tell.

With the part about the Spur... if I'm not mistaken, when you add an item that the player already has, the game does not give the player two copies of the item. I'm assuming the same goes for weapons? If not I can fix that.

No, the secret battle with the Doctor is not a Heaven and Hell reference, although the general theme of that area is meant to redirect the same philosophical musings that I originally planned to put into H&H.

EDIT: Forgot the spoiler.

Aug 4, 2015 at 1:44 AM
War criminal
In the last screenshot, I was shooting the spur a couple times and I noticed a ricocheting effect on the area where the Doctor died. I tried it with the Polar Star and the same thing happened.

And actually, I found this out when I had Seasons test out CSTSF Mod a few months ago, that you can have two of the same weapon, I don't know if it depends on the differing amount of ammo in both weapons or not (in the case that happened with me and Seasons, it was one Shotgun you were supposed to get with 12 ammo, and an accidental Shotgun with 100 ammo).

Aug 4, 2015 at 1:50 AM
In the last screenshot, I was shooting the spur a couple times and I noticed a ricocheting effect on the area where the Doctor died. I tried it with the Polar Star and the same thing happened.

And actually, I found this out when I had Seasons test out CSTSF Mod a few months ago, that you can have two of the same weapon, I don't know if it depends on the differing amount of ammo in both weapons or not (in the case that happened with me and Seasons, it was one Shotgun you were supposed to get with 12 ammo, and an accidental Shotgun with 100 ammo).

To the former, that's REALLY freaking weird. Perhaps his entity is still there... in spirit. But perhaps I should <DNP the entity after his animation is gone. That's more a fault in the original framework than my scripting.

To the latter, thanks for telling me. I had no idea. I just assumed that the weapon and item adding/removal systems worked the same.

Aug 4, 2015 at 2:19 AM
scrungy
May I make a suggestion?

I looked at your download's file structure, and noticed that it's pretty large.
I think it'd be a good idea to provide links to download different parts, like this:

-Download the ORG Viewer
-Download the mod
-Download the ORGs
-Download all

It'd help people get directly to what they want, and make the process a whole lot easier.
Of course, you don't have to do this, I just thought it'd be nifty.