The Cave Story Elites thread

Dec 9, 2007 at 6:40 AM
Respwnt
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
andwhyisit said:
Personally I use the lvl.2 against the Doctor at close range and try to kill him before he releases the bats (stand in the left corner and spam). But that doesn't stop me from using the blade lvl.3 when I need it, personally I like to use lvl.3 during the first part of the monster-x fight because you can spam all the eyes at once and take down the fish missiles quickly without switching to bubbler, then do lvl.2 for the remainder of the fight. lvl.3 blade is as awesome as lvl.2 blade for different reasons because they are different weapons with different stengths and weaknesses, besides its fun plowing through common enemies with the lvl.3 blade which is where it is seen at its strongest. I am not a lvl.3 Blade fanatic, I use both, I use the lvl.2 blade in boss fights that allow close-range spamming of one enemy.

Personally I think you are a Blade lvl.2 fanboy.
No mI'm not. I'm simply a spamming addict (Which you will notice if you try to decipher how much sense I'm making with my posts :mad:). The reason I suck in 3 HP runs is that unlike my friends, I don't mind taking a few risks and damage. The blade 3 is made for a cautious approach, which I adopt ONLY against Monster X. Lv. 2 is like "spam till you die", and that's how I find fun in CS. As you'd see if you watched my MX tutorial, I like smashing the X key even when there's noone around. If you do that with lv. 3, you die. So, I use lv. 2 enough to know its strengths and weaknesses. I personally admit that lv. 2 gets pwned in the labyrinth (Except for the core), where 3 can easily kill off the enemies.

Weapon analysis with my playing style :
Polar Star: High fire rate, and therefore, rox.
Fireball: Totally sux at and after labyrinth. Semi-useful against Core
Bubbler: Best at the Sand Zone. I hardly ever release the X key, which leads to bad consequences at times
Blade Lv. 2: Best fire rate. Therefore, best weapon for me.
Blade Lv. 3: I like to keep lv. 2 at 1/2 Exp, so it's rare for me to hit lv. 3. Best weapon in normal run, next to Spur.
Supa Missiles: I only used em in bosses, duh
Spur: Rules against linear mobs and bosses. I harly ever shoot at less than MAX, which is probably why Hell sux at 3 HP for me.

Dec 9, 2007 at 7:09 AM
Starbound sucked sadly
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Roonil Wazlib said:
Spur: Rules against linear mobs and bosses. I harly ever shoot at less than MAX, which is probably why Hell sux at 3 HP for me.

in hell im using barely max, its usually lvl 1 or 2, because you really dont need max

Polar Star: High fire rate, and therefore, rox.
original = XD

im a spammer too

Dec 9, 2007 at 8:57 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
If you do that with lv. 3, you die.
Not really. Just depends on how you move around and where you aim it. Since it creates a flurry of death ( including projectile-blocking ) around itself for the entire time that you're unable to use it, and you can swap weapons at any time during that, it's not that bad. You should see the way I played on my minimal run - in certain areas, like the entire run from the, er, 'new' hospital to the time I see Monster X, I'm nearly constantly mashing the attack button. 'Kill them before they kill you,' philosophy.

cant a polar star take them down good?
The Polar Star has little to no splash, making it a poor choice for killing the, what, semi-dozens of bats he sends out?
The Blade level 2's projectile itself is large, and penetrates targets if they have little enough hitpoints ( I believe ) , allowing it to quickly decimate large numbers of weak enemies, if they're packed closely enough. As they are when they're all being spawned from the very same point several times a second. >_>

Dec 10, 2007 at 4:33 AM
Respwnt
Garbeld said:
Not really. Just depends on how you move around and where you aim it. Since it creates a flurry of death ( including projectile-blocking ) around itself for the entire time that you're unable to use it, and you can swap weapons at any time during that, it's not that bad. You should see the way I played on my minimal run - in certain areas, like the entire run from the, er, 'new' hospital to the time I see Monster X, I'm nearly constantly mashing the attack button. 'Kill them before they kill you,' philosophy.

There is always a chance that the splash damage misses or doesn't do enough damage. It isn't wholly likely in the Labyrinth, but the Core's projectiles sneak past everything and hit you if you spam.
I nsimple words, the lv3 is rather risky to use, and therefore you need to be more cautious in certain places to balance it out. The lv. 2, being a simple, quick and safe weapon, allows you to take some chances.

Garbeld said:
The Polar Star has little to no splash, making it a poor choice for killing the, what, semi-dozens of bats he sends out?
The Blade level 2's projectile itself is large, and penetrates targets if they have little enough hitpoints ( I believe ) , allowing it to quickly decimate large numbers of weak enemies, if they're packed closely enough. As they are when they're all being spawned from the very same point several times a second. >_>
Exactly. The blade lv. 2 DOES have splash damage, though its range is miniscule. therefore, it can hit about an inch ahead of where it's struck.

Dec 10, 2007 at 4:47 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
You can kill off the bats with a couple of hits at lvl.3, but if you want to keep your health then kill the doctor BEFORE he sends out the bats. Makes more sense.

Dec 10, 2007 at 4:51 AM
Respwnt
andwhyisit said:
You can kill off the bats with a couple of hits at lvl.3, but if you want to keep your health then kill the doctor BEFORE he sends out the bats. Makes more sense.
Is that possible in minimal items? I've tried and tried, and he doesn't seem to be too vulnerable before sending out the bats.

Dec 10, 2007 at 4:56 AM
Slacker
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
It's possible to kill Doc before he sends out bats, you just can't take your time much. I prefer lv 1 blade for all the boss fights there though, there's really no need for lv 2 and lv 2 has so much less range which limits how safely you can fight and still get hits in.

Dec 10, 2007 at 5:50 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Chaddykins said:
It's possible to kill Doc before he sends out bats, you just can't take your time much. I prefer lv 1 blade for all the boss fights there though, there's really no need for lv 2 and lv 2 has so much less range which limits how safely you can fight and still get hits in.
Wow, the blade is an all-in-one weapon.

Dec 10, 2007 at 5:44 PM
Slacker
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
I always used the Polar Star for B2 cause it can shoot faster and has more range than lv 2 blade. I don't think I broke out the blade till Ballos now that I think about it.

Dec 10, 2007 at 6:32 PM
Respwnt
Chaddykins said:
I always used the Polar Star for B2 cause it can shoot faster and has more range than lv 2 blade. I don't think I broke out the blade till Ballos now that I think about it.
Neither did I until I realised I was good at dealing with enimies close range rather than long range. Bl. 2 is capable of killing butes coming diagonally at you, and if there's one frm behind and you fire upward, there's a chance that it gets killed as well.

Dec 10, 2007 at 10:36 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Roonil Wazlib said:
Neither did I until I realised I was good at dealing with enimies close range rather than long range. Bl. 2 is capable of killing butes coming diagonally at you, and if there's one frm behind and you fire upward, there's a chance that it gets killed as well.
lvl.3 kills from all directions. Nah, I prefer bubbler lvl.3 in this case because it takes less to level up, more xp is required to delevel, and it doesn't take much to kill butes. On the downside bubbler becomes useless on lvl 2, it's the falling blocks that kill me the most, not the butes.