Take 8: CS+ Community Project Discussion Thread

Nov 29, 2011 at 3:57 AM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Lace said:
<ML+000/, actually.
(! would subtract 15, which isn't necessarily desirable)

Does this actually work? I know there was a ML+ hack to make it subtract/set max health as well.

And I would be up for the transition idea, but I think it should have a tileset or shape resembling the next world. Perhaps the people who are finished their part can do the transition into their world.

Nov 29, 2011 at 4:02 AM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
I know EXACTLY what to do for mine. When you walk in the hole in Jack's house, you end up in a room with you falling. You then end up in the Void after the fall.
Or, the transition is a LEVEL COMPLETE! room made by the previous map-maker.
JK. That would be retarded and stupid and just plain silly.

Nov 29, 2011 at 5:16 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Transition rooms after every level will make it feel too much like an arcade mode where every area is separate rather than helping to tie things together.

CommanderJersey said:
EDIT: I'm going to start with the transtion maps, if everyone's 'kay with it.
No

Dunc2403 said:
Hey DT, I just realized something. What with your fancy "figure out a reward based on your money at the end of the mod" system, how will you work in the money from my map? You know, the one you said would reward a money unit when completed? The one with a money unit already in it?
It'll be moved to upon completion, like I said it would. Your latest submission is broken anyway.

Dunc2403 said:
Also, it doesn't seem right organizing by max health. There should be a difficulty curve, not difficulty zigzag. Can't you use ML+000! to lower your max health by one? Why not do that repeatedly to get the max health you need for each map?
Because that would make things more inconsistent than just running everything together possibly ever could

Nov 29, 2011 at 5:38 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Seriously guys, no hub rooms. The mod needs to flow together when finished.

@DT: It might be better to allow the player to keep items they gain between segments unless it specifically conflicts with a later segment. This way we don't have have to make 500+ excuses as to why the player keeps losing his or her items. Such a thing should be part of the finalisation of the mod as opposed to the task of every segment's author.

Nov 29, 2011 at 5:56 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
andwhyisit said:
@DT: It might be better to allow the player to keep items they gain between segments unless it specifically conflicts with a later segment. This way we don't have have to make 500+ excuses as to why the player keeps losing his or her items. Such a thing should be part of the finalisation of the mod as opposed to the task of every segment's author.
Items are probably okay as long as they don't change the gameplay (e.g. Arms Barrier). Between the ones that do and weapons there might not be many in the of those though >_>

Nov 30, 2011 at 1:53 AM
Not COMMA
Discord Group Moderator
"..."
DoubleThink said:
Transition rooms after every level will make it feel too much like an arcade mode where every area is separate rather than helping to tie things together.

Maybe not in between every area, but right now newer players will be very confused why their items were taken away.
Plus, if we want this mod to have a story, it can't be a bunch of minimods. Transition rooms would help form a story, because right now, there isn't one.

Nov 30, 2011 at 2:38 AM
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
I thought of a way to solve our "items disappearing for no reason" AND our money problem. At the beginning of every map, there is a flash of lightning hitting Quote, making a text box appear saying "You lost your items! (Again...)" And at the end of the mod, if you have enough money, or, maybe the money could be something magical, or something, you go to a big boss fight against someone who can make lightning. So either the Doctor, Ballos, or Misery.

Nov 30, 2011 at 3:00 AM
Not COMMA
Discord Group Moderator
"..."
Dunc2403 said:
I thought of a way to solve our "items disappearing for no reason" AND our money problem. At the beginning of every map, there is a flash of lightning hitting Quote, making a text box appear saying "You lost your items! (Again...)" And at the end of the mod, if you have enough money, or, maybe the money could be something magical, or something, you go to a big boss fight against someone who can make lightning. So either the Doctor, Ballos, or Misery.

I thought about that, but it seems sort of expected. Instead, we should have Balrog be the final boss. No one would be expecting this, PLUS we could make him say Huzzah!

Nov 30, 2011 at 3:09 AM
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
CommanderJersey said:
I thought about that, but it seems sort of expected. Instead, we should have Balrog be the final boss. No one would be expecting this, PLUS we could make him say Huzzah!

Here's our storyline. Balrog gets possessed by... whatever it is that possessed The Door. Balrog becomes evil. Whatever possessed The Door comes down (invisibly) at the beginning of each level and steals your items. If you have enough money, you go to the boss.
When you defeat the Final Boss of our mod, Balrog, he goes back to normal, and somehow whatever possessed The Door is destroyed. THE END

Nov 30, 2011 at 4:37 AM
No, here's our storyline:
So :muscledoc::heart::sun:. There was a child (!). :momo: was all :( because of course the doctor was her secret crush, and of course a bunch of the migmas were all :chin: because they saw it going down. At this same time, :droll:, :mahin:, :hoppy: and :debug: started to wage war against everyone who wasn't chill. OH WAIT THEY DIDN'T BECAUSE THEY ARE FAR, FAR, TOO CHILL TO DO SUCH A THING. However, there were some truly bloody feuds actually happening in truth. For example, the :koron:s, upon realizing they looked startlingly similar to :toroko2:, teamed up with :sue: to destroy :toroko:. In this mawd, we are going to be on the side of :koron:! Because nobody loves them!
Oh frabjous day!

Oh! Speaking of people nobody loves, ma pignon was all :pignon2: because she wasn't an integral part of the plot, and then all :pignon: when she was finally mentioned in an addendum!
REALLY speaking of people nobody loves, how about that Lace character.

I mean, ewwwwwwwww.

Storylines are not allowed under the guidelines tyrone gave us for this project. We cannot have one. Period. Even if it is as much of a heartthrob as the beautiful piece I wrote above.

What we do need is some way to run the mods together, but a storyline is clearly not it. I opt we leave whatever that mechanism is up to DT and &y as they are putting it together. If everyone is unhappy after a second beta/whatever, that is when we should think about it. For now, keep polishing your mod/giving quality feedback on others.

Thank you.

PS:
I think my story had potential.

Dec 30, 2011 at 3:17 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
I came up with an idea while I was mapping this evening. The main problem with the whole money system is that at the moment it doesn't really do anything aside from increment; that is, it doesn't provide the player with any tangible way to see what/how they're doing or even why they're doing it. However, CS+ has recently been updated with cheevmints, so I was thinking that maybe we could ask tyrone if we could include a single achievement that will count each of the 'money units' in the mod and be awarded for getting all of them. Simpler than having to set up the money using TSC, and fits in with the whole Steam theme. Thinkies?

Dec 30, 2011 at 3:23 PM
Professional Whatever
I love it.
But for professional's sake, I think we should have an ingame counter as well.
If we can do that, of course.

Dec 30, 2011 at 4:54 PM
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
That would be,
so cool.
If that could actually get implemented, that would just be, um, something awesome I can't find a word for. I also agree with LugicDoul, a counter would be nice.

Dec 30, 2011 at 7:06 PM
Why would we need an ingame one as well as the cheevmint?
If you really do want it though, code away. Should be extraordinarily easy.

Dec 30, 2011 at 7:11 PM
Professional Whatever
So you know how many you currently have, and if we choose to tell the player how many you need to get, how many you have left to get.

Dec 30, 2011 at 10:21 PM
Banned
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
That I'm pretty sure they can do with the achievement, isn't that how the I'm Juggernaut one works? It tells you how many you have, and how many there are to get. Using that, you can figure out how many you have left.

Dec 31, 2011 at 1:50 AM
Professional Whatever
Oh, well, I guess we wouldn't need it then.
I'm on board, that sounds cool.

Dec 31, 2011 at 2:04 AM
Professional Whatever
Yes, but we're talking about whether or not we should ask. They might, they might not.
I don't see why they wouldn't, though.