Take 8: CS+ Community Project Discussion Thread

Nov 23, 2011 at 2:44 AM
Not COMMA
Discord Group Moderator
"..."
Just a quick idea about the starting room: since there aren't going to be to many rooms, each area could have their own intro room. You get there through Jack' house, and it offers a small sampling of what the area will be like. For example, Zangestu could have a shot with clouds in the backround and a single bed. Or glitchy area could have have a small jump glitch to get to the area's door.

Nov 23, 2011 at 3:07 AM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
CommanderJersey said:
Just a quick idea about the starting room: since there aren't going to be to many rooms, each area could have their own intro room. You get there through Jack' house, and it offers a small sampling of what the area will be like. For example, Zangestu could have a shot with clouds in the backround and a single bed. Or glitchy area could have have a small jump glitch to get to the area's door.

I like this idea. Maybe instead of a demo, it could include a mural made by the world maker. And maybe the player can use an item or something to toggle whether they visit those rooms or not.

Nov 23, 2011 at 3:26 AM
Not COMMA
Discord Group Moderator
"..."
What a possibility could be for zangestu:
p139769-0-tb3yg.jpg

Door leads back to Jack's house, bed goes to the level, and decoration can be added wherever needed.

Nov 23, 2011 at 3:43 AM
Professional Whatever
CommanderJersey said:
What a possibility could be for zangestu:
snip
Door leads back to Jack's house, bed goes to the level, and decoration can be added wherever needed.

Take out the walls and ceiling and add details and you've got a stylish intro!
I shall call it Hinagatagetsu (Hinagetsu).

Nov 23, 2011 at 3:50 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
You won't be going back to Jack's house once you start the mod (or at least not until you've completed it). Also that would take a lot of extra work and take up a lot of extra map space D:

Nov 23, 2011 at 3:54 AM
Professional Whatever
DoubleThink said:
You won't be going back to Jack's house once you start the mod (or at least not until you've completed it). Also that would take a lot of extra work and take up a lot of extra map space D:

Good point. At this point we should worry less about new ideas for the project, and work mostly on refining (and finishing) our sections.

Nov 24, 2011 at 1:04 PM
Not COMMA
Discord Group Moderator
"..."
We could have a Sonic 3 type plotline(all areas are loosely connected but it still makes sense how you travel between them).

Nov 27, 2011 at 11:46 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
To put things simply: When compiling the final version, I am going to do my best to make sure that the mod makes sense. I will keep and post here a complete changelog of everything I edit, and will post another beta part way through finalisation to make sure that you're all happy with it. It will mostly involve only small clean-ups in addition to a small number of new maps, most of which I already have planned/am planning in my head, so it shouldn't take me too long (i.e. a week at most).

For the final product, I want to include a speed mode, accessible individual levels, and money. I see no point in being able to 'buy' anything, so the only real idea I have come up with so far regarding the money is
at the end, your value is tallied up, and you're given a reward based on your total a la Die Die Galaxy. If you get everything, you're sent to a killer secret boss battle :droll:
Someone will need to work on the money script while I'm doing the finalising and provide me with it if this is to be realised, however. (Could just use the current one but Lace claims it can be simplified.)

Nov 28, 2011 at 10:17 PM
Not COMMA
Discord Group Moderator
"..."
To have the mod make more sense, I think that a small transition room between each area could be nice. And in this room, you could get your life expansion and weapons for the next area and lose your current items/weapon. I could work on these, since I'm done with my area.

Nov 28, 2011 at 10:20 PM
Professional Whatever
But we don't need it.
We've talked about this at least twice before. We simply don't need to waste time or map space on things like this. The mod would probably flow better without them anyway.

Nov 28, 2011 at 10:25 PM
Been here way too long...
I agree that everything is extremely jumpy at the moment.
The question is whether this is bad or not, and by extension, whether we should change it or not.

I feel like at least some steps should be made to make it less jumpy: otherwise, there is no reason to have one mod as opposed to a bunch of mini ones.

Nov 28, 2011 at 10:30 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
One of the things they're concerned about when taking mods is consistency. That's I think, one of the primary reasons they didn't want people to add new graphics - because they might conflict and look out of place. Technically speaking, there's no difficulty in changing some graphics for a mod.

Something to think about for submission. Of course as a forum mod we don't need to concern ourselves so much with these things.

Nov 28, 2011 at 10:33 PM
Professional Whatever
Consistency, jumpy maps...
Wait, so do you guys want transition rooms? I'm a little confused on who you're siding with.

Nov 28, 2011 at 10:48 PM
Not COMMA
Discord Group Moderator
"..."
We difinatly have enough maps, and we don't want this to be a bunch of mini mods loosely taped together.
Side with me, everyone!:p

Nov 28, 2011 at 10:51 PM
Professional Whatever
CommanderJersey said:
We difinatly have enough maps
I know we do, but it makes the file bigger, which isn't good if we don't even need the maps.
CommanderJersey said:
Side with me, everyone!:p
That's not what I meant.

Nov 28, 2011 at 10:54 PM
Not COMMA
Discord Group Moderator
"..."
MagicDoors said:
I know we do, but it makes the file bigger, which isn't good if we don't even need the maps.

Aren't we just editing the maps? I don't think it would add a lot of space.

EDIT: I'm going to start with the transtion maps, if everyone's 'kay with it.

Nov 29, 2011 at 2:53 AM
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
Hey DT, I just realized something. What with your fancy "figure out a reward based on your money at the end of the mod" system, how will you work in the money from my map? You know, the one you said would reward a money unit when completed? The one with a money unit already in it?

Also, it doesn't seem right organizing by max health. There should be a difficulty curve, not difficulty zigzag. Can't you use ML+000! to lower your max health by one? Why not do that repeatedly to get the max health you need for each map?

Also also, @JERSE, these transition rooms should have a tileset that sort of combines the ideas in the last room. For example, maybe have the transition room between Pyramid B4 and Pipeline Maintenance be PrtMimi, somesthing I think is a nice transition between PrtHell and PrtEggs.

Also ALSO also, I approve of JERSE's idea.

Nov 29, 2011 at 3:31 AM
<ML+000/, actually.
(! would subtract 15, which isn't necessarily desirable)