Steam Winter Sale

Dec 21, 2012 at 5:19 AM
Melon Lord
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
There are so many freakin' games on sale. I honestly have no idea which of them to get.

You guys have any suggestions/recommendations?

Dec 21, 2012 at 11:20 PM
meep
"All your forum are belong to us!"
I miss that thing they did for last year's summer and winter sales with the little tickets and challenges. They skipped it for the summer sale and I was hoping they'd pick it back up for the winter one, but I guess not.

It gave me something to wake up and do every day.

Dec 22, 2012 at 6:19 AM
"Huzzah!"
If you like anime and adventure/action RPGs, you will love me for this:

1) "Fortune Summoners" - in my opinion - is the best anime game on Steam and it's only $10 right now, and it's got about 20-30 hours of gameplay. It's a platformer-style action RPG, and it pulls it off marvelously. It can be a bit challenging learning how to fight, but I found it very rewarding when I got skillful at defeating the various enemies. It can be a tad on the cute side, but I love it anyway, and I'm not a fan of overly cute anime.

2) "Ys: The Oath in Felghana" is only a freakin $3.74, and it's TOTALLY worth it if you like the action JRPG scene, and maybe even if you don't. The plot is very predictable and a bit shallow/dry, but it's an enjoyable game, just the same. Also, the soundtrack is pretty good if you like high energy power rock/metal, and the songs are easily accessible if you ever want to find them and put them onto a media device, like an iPod or something. I can't say much for Ys: Origin though, but I heard it wasn't as good, plus it's more expensive. OH SHOOT! I just checked and it's got a little under 4 hours left on it and it's at $5, which is 75% off! I'm going to buy it! .. So yeah, if Ys: Origin is only $5, I recommend it based off of my research and from playing the other Ys game. But if it's more than $5, wait until it goes down to $5 again.

EDIT: Just played a bit of "Ys: Origin" and it's definitely fun and well worth the $5. But I'd get The Oath in Felghana before getting Origin, simply because it is less linear. However, Origin seems to be slightly more polished and detailed in some ways, though only slightly. But yeah, Fortune Summoners, man. Of all the anime on Steam (cuz there is so much of it :p), it's the one game you really should check out. Unless you are more of a Recettear type, which has more of a social aspect to it and less of a focus on the actual adventuring and such.

Dec 22, 2012 at 9:38 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
With the sale I picked up :
A.R.E.S. Extinction Agenda (and the Berserker Suit DLC)
- It's a Mega Man type indie game... Has the same musician from the Iji game. About 3 dollars total.

Blueberry Garden
- A casual award winning game I wanted to try. It was only a dollar or so.

BRAINPIPE : A plunge to unhumanity
- Some weird visual game I had favorited once... it was 2.50 I think, so I finally decided to get it. Can't say if it's good yet.

Ether Vapor Remaster
- A shump/bullet hell type game that pulls it off beautifully. Before I was even interested in games like Jamestown, this game in Japanese caught my eye. So, it's a safe bet to be pretty nice. I think it was 2-3.50 $?

Mr. Robot
- A isometric adventure puzzle game. You're a robot, and you gotta save the ship since the people are in cryogenic sleep... (I think) Been wanting it forever, so 2.50 or whatnot sold me on it.

Noitu Love 2 Devolution
- By the guy working on Iconoclasts... Konjak. At a 1.30$ or so, I couldn't just ignore it...

Starscape
- By the makers of Mr. Robot. I played the demo once... It wasn't too bad. I kinda wanted to play it through. At 2.50$ or so I decided to go ahead.

The Void
- Um.... I am not sure if I wanted this game. About 2.50$. I watched some very interesting Let's Plays of the beginning... It's an artistic first person adventure, very unique. Could be good.

Ys : Origin
- Already bought the JP PC version, but this one includes a different translation! It's an awesome game, but you really probably should play the series from the Ys 1 - Ys 6 before Origin lol Doesn't REALLY matter though...
Good price. 4.99?

Ys : Oath of Felghana
- Already bought the JP PC version, but again this one has a different translation... 3.89 or something, so super deal.

RPGMaker VX Ace
- I messed around on RPGMaker over the years... but I never bought it... At 35$ last night, I snapped and bought it to make up for all the ... not buying...

Now as for recommendations :
I am going to be lazy and not look up the prices but here are some of the indie games I'll recommend :
Ys : Oath of Felghana
- as mentioned above

LIMBO
- Super indie game. Pretty short, but a non-frustrating cinematic platforming experience worth every cent. Very ambient.

Super Meat Boy
- Yes. It's just a lot of fun, though it can be maddening without the proper controls... A classic indie game.

Cave Story +
-. ... . . . . ..

The Longest Journey
- An adventure game for those who want an artistic compelling and strange story. I haven't played through all of it yet... but, it's quite good.

VVVVVV
- A weird gravity/anti-gravity platformer worth its salt. Love it. Their faces are <3 It's pretty rough if you're going for 100%.

Lone Survivor
- It's alright. I mean it's really a wonderful game, though not quite the horror experience I had anticipated. And that ending.... D: Mmmmmm... Anyway worth its dollar.

Jamestown
- It's a shump that makes you like the genre ... to a point. IT can be frustrating as you tackle the harder challenges and difficulties. But, it might just kickstart you into liking bullet hell ;D

Darwinia
- A strange Strategy game. If you like strategy games... watch the trailer and see if you're interested in exploring a cyber world...

Braid
- Excellent puzzle game. The rewind mechanic/gimmick done right. It's a bit weird and dark as you get into it. But a rewarding indie experience.

Bit.trip.runner
- WELL. Maybe not. This game is ... irritating. If you get it at a real low cost, check it out. You'll love the first little while, then later on look in the mirror and discover you're face twisted and sweating, and twitching...

Aquaria
- For a underwater adventure, look no further.

Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP
- If it's real cheap, get it. It's a unique experience... The first part was award winning... After that, it was pretty good. Don't expect too much but, pretty nifty.

EDIT: Oh, and if the following games go to 75% off, I really want to pick them up too :
Fortune Summoners : Secret of the Elemental Stone
- As recommended above, I want to get it.... but 9.99.... D:

Retro City Rampage
- Awesome looking game... 9.99... go lower!

Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet
- At 7.49, I'm tempted. I'm really tempted... Just look at that trailer!

Chantelise
- As a player of Rosettear, I want this ... but 4.99.... go lower!! xD

EDITEDIT :
The current HumbleBundle gives you :
Snapshot, The Binding of Issac (with DLC), Closure, Shank 2, and an indie development movie for 1$ or more you get Steam keys to those.
More than 6.40$ and you get Dungeon Defenders + DLC, and Legend of Grimlock.

Out of all of those, I'm most excited about Snapshot and maybe Closure. Issac might be fun, but it doesn't play well with the mac...

Dec 23, 2012 at 5:09 AM
"Huzzah!"
X-Calibar said:
Chantelise
- As a player of Rosettear, I want this ... but 4.99.... go lower!! xD
Actually, I don't recommend that game. Recettear is great, and Fortune Summoners is even better, but Chantelise is just not worth paying anything for really, and this is coming from a guy who really loves anime. The game is just far too simple and small. The content is practically non-existant, and it's extremely repetitive. It just feels like it's lacking in so many ways. I was very saddened when I played it, as I'm a big fan of the other two games that Carpe Fulgar has localized in America.

Dec 23, 2012 at 6:00 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Hmm... Thanks for the warning! I'll pass on that one unless it goes to around 1$ for curiosity's sake D:
I actually played it once before it was translated, though not for very long. Most of all I was interested to see how it tied into Recettear's world, if it did at all...

I'm looking forward to getting Fortune Summoners though. Going to hold off to see if it amazingly goes on flash sale, but will get it~ It looks charming, and I want to see this gameplay you mentioned...
(That and I haven't played a nice new anime style game in quite a while...)

@Dunc2403 - Mmmm, most of my Steam games are all thanks to the Humble Bundles~ The few times I've missed them, usually by choice; I end up regretting it... Like I wanted to see that Kooky movie xD

That reminds me, there are two sites copying the Humble Bundle that might be of interest occasionally :
http://www.indieroyale.com/
and
http://www.indiegala.com/

Lots of opportunities to catch some nice priced bundles occasionally...
The current deal with indieroyale has Offspring Fling!, which looks like a pretty nice puzzle game from what I've seen; but the minimum price on indie royale currently is 5$, and the rest of the games don't catch my interest as much... [Puzzle Bots I've heard of, though I'm not really looking for an adventure game right now...]
On second look, Colorblind looks to have interesting gameplay. Though the graphics are pretty... spartan.

Dec 23, 2012 at 7:01 AM
"Huzzah!"
X-Calibar said:
Hmm... Thanks for the warning! I'll pass on that one unless it goes to around 1$ for curiosity's sake D:
I actually played it once before it was translated, though not for very long. Most of all I was interested to see how it tied into Recettear's world, if it did at all...

I'm looking forward to getting Fortune Summoners though. Going to hold off to see if it amazingly goes on flash sale, but will get it~ It looks charming, and I want to see this gameplay you mentioned...
(That and I haven't played a nice new anime style game in quite a while...)
If it is connected to Recettears world at all, it doesn't appear to say so. The only thing it seems to have in common is the name being a combination of two main character names.

As far as Fortune Summoners goes, it says it will be on sale until January 5th, so I agree that it's smart to wait until then, just in case. I know I was sure happy when I waited for Ys: Origin to go from 50% to 75% off. ;)

I did forget to warn you that the end of Fortune Summoners is left a bit open because there was a sequel planned, but it's not a horrible cliffhanger or anything, so I was okay with it. The sad part is that it does not look like a sequel will be made because the game didn't sell well enough in Japan for some reason, which I seriously cannot understand. Still, there is a bit of hope for a sequel, because it's been rumored that Lizsoft will make the second game if the first FS sells well enough in the US.

Dec 23, 2012 at 2:56 PM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Oh man the entire Dawn of War franchise is on sale for ten dollars, I highly suggest you guys try it out, those games are like the pinnacle of the RTS genre. If you do get it tell us so that we can all have a big multiplayer battle sometime.

Dec 23, 2012 at 4:44 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Dunc2403 said:
Oh man the entire Dawn of War franchise is on sale for ten dollars, I highly suggest you guys try it out, those games are like the pinnacle of the RTS genre. If you do get it tell us so that we can all have a big multiplayer battle sometime.
except for dunk because he lost his CDs

Dec 24, 2012 at 9:57 AM
Demon taming, headphone wearing, casanova
Say, would there happen to be any game's i could get on steam that can be played with a crappy hp pavilion.

Dec 24, 2012 at 2:45 PM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Well I'd suggest looking at the system requirements of the games. Or going to http://www.systemrequirementslab.com and looking up the game from there.

I'm in the same boat as you though. Such shiny, cheap games...but such a shitty computer :/

Dec 24, 2012 at 4:17 PM
Melon Lord
Hmm...seems today may be a spending day for me.

They Bleed Pixels 75% off

Half-Minute Hero 66% off

More coming. (Contemplating on Skyrim....maybe.....?)

You guys got anything good for a cheap price? I'm waiting for Castle Crashers to go lower. I may also get The Basement Collection too (Still working on the mod hue)

Also BioShock frightens me. Greatly.

Dec 24, 2012 at 6:40 PM
Thanks Desu. And also, any good games that you guys could recommend that i can use with my Pavilion.

Dec 24, 2012 at 11:07 PM
Almost anything that isnt a strategy game. In particular retro homages and jrpg's.

Dec 24, 2012 at 11:15 PM
Melon Lord
Well in what I can list from the top of my head:

The Binding of Isaac (+ DLC) (It's Flash-Based, just know that. Made by Edmund McMillen)
They Bleed Pixels
Castle Crashers (Badass Co-Op, maybe wait for it to get a bigger discount)
The Basement Collection (It's a collection of various games Edmund McMillen has made. It's $2.)
Super Meat Boy(i) (Great platformer, made by Edmund)
Bastion

Aaaaand, that's all for now. Oh yeah, they're all Indie games.