Sprite Sheet

Jun 2, 2007 at 5:50 AM
Sampapa
"No! Don't OPEN that DOOR!"
I was just wondering if there is a cave story sprite sheet that someone can post, I love collecting Sprite Sheets, and this one is a must.

Jun 2, 2007 at 6:47 AM
Starbound sucked sadly
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Sampapa said:
I was just wondering if there is a cave story sprite sheet that someone can post, I love collecting Sprite Sheets, and this one is a must.

im pretty sure there all in the files its the .pbm files and you can open it with paint

Jun 2, 2007 at 7:52 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
The .pbm files in the data folders are just bitmap images. You can open them with anything that can open bitmaps.

Careful though: make sure they don't get renamed to .bmp (IrfanView can do this, but it warns if whether or not you want to do this.)

Jun 2, 2007 at 11:38 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Wait, why shouldn't you rename them .bmp?

Jun 2, 2007 at 7:26 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Does the game still open them if they get renamed? I haven't really modded cave story at all, and I figured if the extention got changed it wouldn't open them because it couldn't find them.

Jun 2, 2007 at 7:43 PM
Hoxtilicious
Lamneth said:
Does the game still open them if they get renamed? I haven't really modded cave story at all, and I figured if the extention got changed it wouldn't open them because it couldn't find them.

Nope, it have to be PBM to work with the game, you cant rename them.

Jun 2, 2007 at 8:19 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Ah, that's all, Lamneth?
I temporarily rename the files all the time so I can alter them in photoshop (having a 16x16 grid is nice). I thought you might have know about some hidden effect that renaming them has on the files, or something.
All's fine I guess.

Jun 2, 2007 at 10:30 PM
Been here way too long...
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
all you have to do is be sure that it's the proper name so that the game pulls the correct bitmaps.
like you can edit textbox.pbm to say dudethisisawesome.bmp, edit it with a pelthora of programs, and then put it back to textbox.pbm before you start the game so that it pulls that data. As well, you either need to add "(C)Pixel" to the end of the .pbm file before the game can use it, or delete the (C)Pixel string from the EXE.

Jun 3, 2007 at 1:35 AM
"Huzzah!"
You can even take this a step further, if you wish. I've found that for some reason, Paint Shop Pro refuses to open the .pbms unless you change the extension, and to remove the hassle of renaming all the time, I cracked open my Doukutsu.exe with a hex editor and changed every instance of ".pbm" to ".bmp". Combined with Nator's suggestion, hexing out the (C)Pixel, I can save my modified image in PSP and fire up Doukutsu immediately to see my changes. Convenience! :)

The only problem is, Sue's Workshop still searches for the .pbms and the SW EXE can't be hexed in the same manner as before. I'm forced to wind up making copies of certain entries (backdrops and tilesets mainly) so SW will work correctly. A bit of a pain, but it's still better than the alternative.

Would anyone be interested at all if I were to upload my hacked package for ease of use, or would that be a violation of some sort of agreement?

Jun 3, 2007 at 3:30 AM
Hoxtilicious
Xaser said:
You can even take this a step further, if you wish. I've found that for some reason, Paint Shop Pro refuses to open the .pbms unless you change the extension, and to remove the hassle of renaming all the time, I cracked open my Doukutsu.exe with a hex editor and changed every instance of ".pbm" to ".bmp". Combined with Nator's suggestion, hexing out the (C)Pixel, I can save my modified image in PSP and fire up Doukutsu immediately to see my changes. Convenience! :)

The only problem is, Sue's Workshop still searches for the .pbms and the SW EXE can't be hexed in the same manner as before. I'm forced to wind up making copies of certain entries (backdrops and tilesets mainly) so SW will work correctly. A bit of a pain, but it's still better than the alternative.

Would anyone be interested at all if I were to upload my hacked package for ease of use, or would that be a violation of some sort of agreement?

Actually you just could people tell the offsets which are:

8C280
8C304
and 8C328

But actually you need special programms to hack Sues.

Jun 3, 2007 at 5:21 AM
Been here way too long...
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
Xaser said:

...you really didn't need to do that, you can set .pbm's to be opened with any program you want (via right-click, 'open with...', 'always open this kind of file with this program').
Though I guess for PSP, that's fine and dandy. I'm just used to using Paint is all.
But then again, it's somewhat less of a convenience because of the Sue's thing, you might've been better off just renaming the .pbm each time. It only takes like 1/2 a second.

Jun 3, 2007 at 6:49 AM
Actually you could even make a batch file(s) to rename all the .pbm files even faster...

Just make one batch file:
ren *.pbm *.bmp

And another:
ren *.bmp *.pbm

You could probably combine it into one batch file but I'm very rusty on my batch code.

Jun 3, 2007 at 11:35 AM
Hoxtilicious
Lamneth said:
Actually you could even make a batch file(s) to rename all the .pbm files even faster...

Just make one batch file:
ren *.pbm *.bmp

And another:
ren *.bmp *.pbm

You could probably combine it into one batch file but I'm very rusty on my batch code.

@echo off
cls
echo BMP-PBM CONVERTER
echo ================
echo.
echo 1 - Pbm to Bmp
echo 2 - Bmp to Pbm
echo 3 - Quit
choice /c:123Q>nul
if errorlevel 3 goto quit
if errorlevel 2 goto bmp
if errorlevel 1 goto pbm