(Spoilers maybe?) If Pixel were to make a sequel to cave story, would it continue from the first game, or make an entirely new one.

Dec 7, 2020 at 7:57 PM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
This is a bit scrambled but:

After you kill Ballos, there is still a disembodied voice (presumably Dr. Date's, as that style of text (<MS2) was only used previously for him). You've already killed him earlier yet he persists as something formless that can corrupt other people/creatures alongside the red crystal.

The Demon Crown's source of power is Ballos, and I've always interpreted that the source of corruption or whatever for the Red Flowers is the same, yet despite Ballos being defeated you can still hear the Dr's voice. Whatever curse that lies dormant within the Mimiga may be broken, but the Dr artificially constructed an object that can corrupt and empower any creature, not just Mimiga.

The island didn't crash, and the Red Crystal wasn't destroyed (it simply leaves the room via floating downward once it's done with Sue). It still exists, and despite it being a mere fraction of the power that Ballos or the Demon Crown had, there's a chance it still works because of its artificial and detached nature from those two. Heck you can even argue the red flowers don't just suddenly become harmless after Ballos was killed, and that they still exist in different pockets here and there. The people of the surface also don't know about any of this, they might still hold resentment for the Mimiga from 10 years before.

All together, the island and the surface is definitely way safer after the best ending, but might still have some kind of threat lurking about.

[Oh and Jack. Surely the biggest question on everyone's minds is what the hell happened to Jack. A sequel would be entirely based on answering this one question or else it would be a terrible sequel.]

That aside, it appears Pixel is completely done with Cave Story and I don't mind. Personally I'm totally fine if every future game is a one-off.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2020 at 8:25 PM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Dec 7, 2020 at 9:18 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Dec 7, 2020 at 9:41 PM
"Huzzah!"
Dec 7, 2020 at 10:15 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
jack story WHEN??? we NEED ANSWERS, PEOPLE
There Will Be a Mod, Even Ballos Had a Mod About His Story

Dec 7, 2020 at 11:29 PM
Based Member
After you kill Ballos, there is still a disembodied voice (presumably Dr. Date's, as that style of text (<MS2) was only used previously for him).
I always assumed that was Ballos' voice, and that it was sort of a echoing spirit after he died. Maybe it was something he said in his life, in his greatest moments of pain that fueled his hate. I always had a theory in my head that that's what Ballos was saying when the king's subjects were torturing Ballos.

Also, not sure if you really count this, since you are blacked out during the period of time, but if you're on track for the 3rd ending, then when you're unconscious after nearly drowning after the Core boss fight, then the <MS2 text will appear with the first bit of the "Did you know that the witch-woman Jenka once had a brother?" narration.

Dec 18, 2020 at 7:01 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Even if it Sounds Cool, No Matter What, It's Gonna Flop, Just Like (almost) Every Single Fucking Video Game Animated Series EVER
Well I disagree on that front. Castlevania was pretty damn good, Steins;Gate was a masterpiece, Pokemon (even though I am not a fan of the anime personally) has been doing the rounds for years, as has the Fate series, plus the Persona 4 and 5 anime series were also solid adaptations. Not every video game adaptation is automatically bad.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2020 at 7:50 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
I think maybe another in-universe game showing what the rest of the world of Cave Story is like would be pretty cool