something i noticed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 14, 2008 at 10:44 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
X-Calibar said:
Balrog was probably cursed along with Misery when the crown originally was created. He was probably tagging along, tricked or something. Even the wrong place at the wrong time could apply...

What is Balrog? Could be a changeling, could have been cursed, could be chimera/robot; maybe he was as normal looking as Misery at one point. If Ballos could curse you and change your form I imagine he'd have a blast.

But, maybe Balrog is Balrog. What is Balrog? A Cave Story Balrog.
I think Balrog is doing it for Miza/Misery out of free will, maybe Miza grew up with Balrog. *shrug*

Balrog is a robot btw.

Jan 14, 2008 at 5:07 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
andwhyisit said:
I think Balrog is doing it for Miza/Misery out of free will, maybe Miza grew up with Balrog. *shrug*

Balrog is a robot btw.
I wouldn't be surprised if Balrog has had more than one form over the years...
If we assume that Balrog was around when Misery had Ballos create the Crown, it probably was a long time ago. Unless the whole Demon Crown affair is a more recent one...
Only four statues... the Present one, the 10 years ago one, and two unknown ones, with equally strange bearers... And finally we have to assume that Mr. Statue carver has been around since it was created. He's a mystery all together...
I'll have to think about it/check the script, to see if there any hints to how long ago the first two bearers happened ago.

I don't think Balrog is a robot... exactly. Remember when Misery changed Balrog into that monsterous frog? Can she turn inanimate objects into full blown monsters that spawn other creatures? Maybe, but I'd like to see another example of that happening anywhere else to confirm...

Jan 14, 2008 at 5:49 PM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Though in the credits of one ending, it does say Balrog is Misery's punching bag...
Maybe Balrog was a by-product of the crowns creation, like Numhatchi (SP?)...

Jan 14, 2008 at 10:48 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
X-Calibar said:
Can she turn inanimate objects into full blown monsters that spawn other creatures? Maybe, but I'd like to see another example of that happening anywhere else to confirm...
Ballos > Ball thing as an example.
The frog form is a magical construct that encases Balrog in the form of a frog. Note that the Puff Bubble attack was previously used by balrog earlier and that the only frog specific move he knows is knocking tiny frogs down from the foundations.

DragonBoots said:
Though in the credits of one ending, it does say Balrog is Misery's punching bag...
Maybe Balrog was a by-product of the crowns creation, like Numhatchi (SP?)...
p24853-0-droll.gif
p24853-1-numahachi.gif

Notice anything? Numahachi was a natural resident of the island, not a by-product of the crown. He visually represents what Drolls look like when they become old.

Jan 15, 2008 at 3:56 AM
Respwnt
andwhyisit said:
p24853-0-droll.gif
p24853-1-numahachi.gif

Notice anything? Numahachi was a natural resident of the island, not a by-product of the crown. He visually represents what Drolls look like when they become old.
Dang. I always though Numahachi looked exactly like a Droll. Does Red Demon look more like a Droll or like Numa?

X-Calibar said:
I don't think Balrog is a robot... exactly. Remember when Misery changed Balrog into that monsterous frog? Can she turn inanimate objects into full blown monsters that spawn other creatures? Maybe, but I'd like to see another example of that happening anywhere else to confirm...
Balfrog is not a frog. Its outer covering is made of inpenetrable metal. The only weak point is the mouth, which is probably where its mechanism resides.

Jan 15, 2008 at 4:51 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Balrog is a construct made by an ancient race* in their likeness, just as Quote is made in a human form. Probably served a similar scout robot function to Quote, based upon Misery's comments.

Pooh Black, of course, is the ghost of one of the members of this ancient race.

*From what is now known as the backwards province of ateB.

Jan 15, 2008 at 5:38 AM
Indie game enthusiast
p24857-0-reddemon.gif

I don't think the three are closely related...[droll,demon, and the nama] I mean yeah they definitely look the same, but each one is very different... One's a tree, a demon guy and then golem/giant thing?... But who knows lol

I think textual facts are probably the most certain. Then having something exist as an image is quite certain. When you get to how things look, you have to take things carefully. Like the Doctor's size vs Prof. Booster, or Ballos vs Jenka... Is Jenka really smaller than her dogs?
p24857-1-jenka.gif
p10361-0-doctor.gif

http://www.miraigamer.net/cavestory/siteimages/jenkasdogs.jpg
Nah, she's bigger :p
But I guess I was wrong about how big Ballos is... :o
https://andwhyisit.bugsiteguardian.com/cstsf/archive2/p35088-0-ballos.jpg
Hugeeeee.

I think Balfrog is a giant frog... :p My opinion. I mean Sue is a Mimiga... sorta... Maybe... if Quote would just attack Sue and Itoh like he does the bosses their transformations would go away..!!! Actually we know that might have a chance at working :p Since when you beat up double transformed Sue, she turned back into normal Mimiga Sue... quote has a plan... HOLD STILL SUE!!!

EDIT: To help stay offtopic here is my contribution!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwMxtzxncjI
Machinegun Opera! - starring robotic tube socks...
Reminds me of Quote and Curly.

I don't have any evidence that says Balrog/Balfrog is a machine or a living thing... [maybe frankenstien style!] But, from his dialogue I'd like to believe he's been around at least since the Crown's creation [I guess I already mentioned this over and over lol]
Hmmm... the person I believe is.... Slife!

Still, Balrog could be a dog...

Jan 15, 2008 at 5:55 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Slife said:
Balrog is a construct made by an ancient race* in their likeness, just as Quote is made in a human form. Probably served a similar scout robot function to Quote, based upon Misery's comments.

Pooh Black, of course, is the ghost of one of the members of this ancient race.
I still think he is an early robot back when they didn't look human. Cave story already has 5 sentient races excluding robots (the races of the first two crown bearers, the gaudi, mimiga and humans).

Slife said:
*From what is now known as the backwards province of ateB.
:p

Jan 15, 2008 at 7:40 PM
Indie game enthusiast
Jan 16, 2008 at 1:32 AM
Indie game enthusiast
xristosx said:
weird but looks hilarious i might download a epp if i have a chance lol
I have to personally say it's one of my favorite old series.
The version I recommend is El Hazard - The Magnificent World.
It's the original version of the series! They made a sequel and a TV series remake... haven't seen the TV one but... the OVA 1/Magnificent World is pretty funny lol

I collect lots of anime, but it's one of the few I don't mind seeing again and again :)
Here's the opening :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4w79uzOUOY

Jan 19, 2008 at 12:49 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
JacobX891 said:
um... anyway, here's something I noticed/want to verify:
I read somewhere that it's possible to get up to the final cave with the mimiga mask on, if you use a bit of temporary invincibility from a dragonfly. I also heard that if you do this, the dialouge is different with the final 3 battles. Is this true? If so, could someone get me the dialouge and post it please? thx.
When the rocket is finished just get on it and activate it without talking to Momorin or Itoh, if you talk to Momorin she takes away the Mimiga Mask and gives you the Booster but the rocket is working before talking to her so just ignore her and use the rocket, you can keep the Mimiga Mask then. The dragonfly trick is just for those who want to get up there before the rocket is done as a challenge and is not related to this.

Jan 19, 2008 at 4:28 AM
Respwnt
JacobX891 said:
um... anyway, here's something I noticed/want to verify:
I read somewhere that it's possible to get up to the final cave with the mimiga mask on, if you use a bit of temporary invincibility from a dragonfly. I also heard that if you do this, the dialouge is different with the final 3 battles. Is this true? If so, could someone get me the dialouge and post it please? thx.
That's the old "fack the rocket" trick. Get hit by the stumps, use the Booster a bit and, voila! You're at the top. The only problem is, the door facks you up as well.

Jan 19, 2008 at 6:12 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Roonil Wazlib said:
That's the old "fack the rocket" trick. Get hit by the stumps, use the Booster a bit and, voila! You're at the top. The only problem is, the door facks you up as well.
Yeah but he doesn't need to do that.

Jan 19, 2008 at 7:22 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Roonil Wazlib said:
Well, its much of a damn harder than getting to the Balcony with the mask on.
It's not THAT hard.

Jan 19, 2008 at 6:04 PM
Indie game enthusiast
Mimiga Mask :
Misery : Hee-hee-hee... My don't you look peculiar... Well, good. I was growing bored. Let's see what you're made of.
Misery : Gaahhh! You....!

-Defeated Misery

Chaco - Oh, it's Mr. Traveler. No matter what you look like, you can't fool me.

-Defeated the Doctor!

Santa - Do you remember me? From Grasstown? Lost my key? ... Why do you look like a Mimiga?!

Normal dialogue :
Misery : So it's you. You really are a tenacious one, I'll grant you that. I suppose you're here to destroy the core? I used to consider you merely an out-of-control robot, but I see I misjudged you.
You should know that I carry no affection for this island. It is simply my fate that I must obey the one who wields the Crown. Prepare yourself!!

Misery : Ergh...!

-Defeated Misery

Chaco - Oh, it's Mr. Traveler. Did you come to rescue me?

-Defeated the Doctor!

Santa - Do you remember me? From Grasstown? Lost my key?...
Well that's all right... That Doctor was sure up to no good, wasn't he.

Special Mimiga Mask Extras :
Curly : Oh... You're so cute... Don't go too far. And watch out for the bad robots...

Booster : I'm truly sorry for the chaos that has befallen your island. We humans must take the blame.

I forget what the door says if you get to it before the rocket is made...

Jan 19, 2008 at 7:39 PM
I was reading the script for the Maz part where Booster beams in and falls...
Apparent there was a demo version where it ended there.

Jan 19, 2008 at 7:56 PM
I think I did that once...
Missed the jump to the cabin, so I just rolled with it.
She was there, and Cthulu just kept telling me it's just a piece of junk.

Status
Not open for further replies.