Should I start a new game ?

Apr 18, 2014 at 6:39 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Hi everyone (sorry if I have a bad english, I'm French)

So I began the game a week ago, and I think I made a huuuuuge mistake : I traded my polar star for the machine gun.
Now I have the MG, the blade, the fireball, the bubbler and the super-ML.

I'm now at the end of the game (Misery/the doctor/ undead core) and I can't beat the 3 in a row, so I was thinking of starting again.

Do you think it's a great idea ?

Apr 18, 2014 at 6:53 PM
leader of the meme team feat. tom, snaf and polad
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Dunc2403 said:
I don't know why so many people are so convinced the Spur is unquestionably the best weapon.
The Spur unquestionably does the most amount of damage in the shortest amount of time. But the Machine Gun has perks of its own; flight without a booster, lots of fast moving projectiles...and it can deal decent damage output at level 3. So it should be fine for the final bosses.

Honestly it depends on what you WANT to do mainly. Do you think it's worth it? Or do you not? It's up to you, guy.

Apr 18, 2014 at 7:15 PM
Beakface
"All your forum are belong to us!"
It sounds like you're only going for the second ending, so using the Machine Gun should be all right. (I used it to defeat the threesome when I could only get the second ending.) If you're planning on progressing further,

ie. Sacred Grounds, then I personally think it is better to start with the Spur, since all weapons level down to 1 and EXP should really be saved for Super Missiles.

But it is a matter of personal preference; some people click with the Spur, others the Machine Gun, Snake or just Polar Star.

Apr 18, 2014 at 7:24 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
'Kay, so i'll try with this, and if I get bored i'll restart ^^ thanks for all your answers o/

Apr 18, 2014 at 8:29 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
PolarStarGames said:
The Spur unquestionably does the most amount of damage in the shortest amount of time.
No its DPS is throttled by its charge time, the weapon that unquestionably does the most amount of damage in the shortest amount of time is the super ML, followed by the level 2 blade (given normal circumstances).

Apr 18, 2014 at 9:00 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
In fact, I did the same, and it is now my favorite weapon. Dont worry, you can do anytinhg with that weapon. Also beat the third ending, so dont worry :)

Apr 18, 2014 at 11:26 PM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Each weapon has ups and downs:

Machine gun can provide LVL3 lift, and saves your fingers from cramping up by button-mashing. The Auto-fire conflicts with Curly's Nemesis in the Sanctuary though.

The Snake has a reasonable range and damage output, and can fire through walls… Not really anything else IMO.

The Spur doesn't require experience, has a (long-waited) high damage and range, and it's good for getting strong shots within short vulnerability spans (like charging it during cutscenes to fire it as soon as a boss becomes vulnerable).

Though I personally prefer the Spur (and Nemesis) as weapon options because they don't require grinding EXP, it depends on your play style to what is better. Some weapons are just more… hidden, whether or not they are better for everyone.

Apr 19, 2014 at 1:05 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
MrSushimaniac said:
Hi everyone (sorry if I have a bad english, I'm French)

So I began the game a week ago, and I think I made a huuuuuge mistake : I traded my polar star for the machine gun.
Now I have the MG, the blade, the fireball, the bubbler and the super-ML.

I'm now at the end of the game (Misery/the doctor/ undead core) and I can't beat the 3 in a row, so I was thinking of starting again.

Do you think it's a great idea ?
Hell no, the machine gun is the best wepon in the game. no seriously. the spur and snake are good and all, but the machine gun is the best damn one of them all. you'll want something else for a good ending run, because of the way hell/sacrid ground works, but for the normal ending it's defenetly the best weapon. so next time get the spur or snake, but you don't need to restart untill after you have the normal ending.

Those fights are just hard you're first time. you have to try again and again untill you get it.

Apr 19, 2014 at 1:22 AM
Professional Whatever
warning: opinion alert
do not dismiss the above post as canon information

Apr 19, 2014 at 7:11 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
EnlightenedOne said:
The Snake has a reasonable range and damage output, and can fire through walls… Not really anything else IMO.
It can't shoot down shootable blocks. Any visit to the Sand Zone for instance would have you switching weapons every five seconds.

Apr 19, 2014 at 3:24 PM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Yeah, to be honest it is my personal opinion that the Snake isn't really that good of a weapon when compared to the other polar star swaps (though a preferred one of the three when it comes to Sanctuary speedruns).

But objectively speaking it's all a personal preference.