Shit city

Sep 15, 2015 at 8:21 PM
The "C" in "college" is for "crippling debt".
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
I like it so far, but some things caught my eye.
First of all...
p206576-0-ogpqypk.png

What is Sue doing?
Also, it'd be nice to know that Curly is not on your side when the Omega battle starts, I thought she was on my side when I first played.[\Spoiler]

The "transformed Sue" and "transformed Misery" sprites are really ridiculously glitchy. They usually don't behave as they should.

Also, is it me, or do you either have to be really popular or make a shitty mod to get noticed on these forums?

EDIT:
To elaborate, not many people seem too interested in playing this, and after the recent bout of beginner mods, you'd think people would want to play something polished.

Sep 15, 2015 at 8:23 PM
Veteran Member
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
The "transformed Sue" and "transformed Misery" sprites are really ridiculously glitchy. They usually don't behave as they should.

Also, is it me, or do you either have to be really popular or make a shitty mod to get noticed on these forums?

EDIT:
To elaborate, not many people seem too interested in playing this, and after the recent bout of beginner mods, you'd think people would want to play something polished.
Pretty much, yeah. (XD)

Sep 15, 2015 at 8:24 PM
scrungy
Well, your previous mods weren't very good so people probably didn't look into this one either

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2015 at 8:41 PM
Well, your previous mods weren't very good so people probably didn't look into this one either

But that's the thing. People continue to look at bad mods, so that's not a viable excuse. This one doesn't have any cool ASM hacks or art, and it's not ridiculously bad, so it goes un-noticed. I was planning on doing another mod but... I don't want to waste my time on something that people aren't going to pay attention to simply because it doesn't suck and doesn't have flashy ASM.

Sep 15, 2015 at 8:51 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
What makes you think that?

Sep 15, 2015 at 8:55 PM
Screenshot (23).png
My first mod! 68 posts.
Cave Story - The Twinkle Toes Challenge (which was a decent mod) 13 posts.
The Battle Spire Challenge - 19 Posts.

Sep 15, 2015 at 8:58 PM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Dude, I don't think popularity or mod quality is really an accurate correlation here. Otherwise, I'd be having more posts in the Doukutsu Hentai thread. Really, it's the presentation of mods that get people's attention.

Edit: Well, there isn't really a way to tell if you're popular in the forums now after the XF migration.

Sep 15, 2015 at 9:04 PM
Dude, I don't think popularity or mod quality is really an accurate correlation here. Otherwise, I'd be having more posts in the Doukutsu Hentai thread. Really, it's the presentation of mods that get people's attention.

I don't think so. I mean, "My first mod!" (just as an example, not to rip on Mr. "The Mimiga is d") had a very simple plain post. There are other posts that are really flashy with long weird titles that also have little recognition. But we all know that the minute someone like Noxid or Doors or Blink releases another ASM-stuffed mod, it'll be the biggest thing. And these really shitty beginners mods continue to reach upwards of fifty posts, when really they don't warrant that much attention. It seems that the community has degenerated into an "OOH SHINY" and/or "Wow this guy is a newb." community.

Sep 15, 2015 at 9:06 PM
scrungy
Haven't we always been that way

Sep 15, 2015 at 9:09 PM
Haven't we always been that way

Jenka's Nightmare had zero ASM, just clever TSC use, and it was a huge hit. Jenn's Journey had no ASM. A mod that is similar too Jenn's Journey could get posted today and nobody would it pay it any mind, because it would have no ASM and a legitimate story free of self-reference, running gags, and inside jokes. I'm pretty sure @Polar✪ kicks himself every time he hears the whole "deadbeat" running joke.

Sep 15, 2015 at 9:14 PM
scrungy
a mod doesn't need assembly hacks to be mind-blowing
look at how popular video game was

Sep 15, 2015 at 9:18 PM
a mod doesn't need assembly hacks to be mind-blowing
look at how popular video game was

You're also Aar, one of the most popular guys on the forums. AND you even made the mod LOOK like it was bad, and tricked people into playing something decent.

I mean, just look at this intentionally poor tile-work (I hope it was intentional, if not I apologize).
p204568-5-ppkbv3c.png

Now THAT is how you manipulate people into playing something they'd normally overlook.

EDIT:

Also, I'm pretty sure some ASM was involved with the hearts that increase your health and max life.

Sep 15, 2015 at 9:22 PM
War criminal
I can assure you that the health thing wasn't done by ASM hacking. I just checked on BL right now and it's legit ASM-free.

Sep 15, 2015 at 9:23 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Marketing is indeed an important part of making any game, mod or not. You can make the best game ever, but if you don't know how to sell it to people (that is, how to make them "want" to play it) then you're boned. It's not really something you can blame on the target audience either.

Sep 15, 2015 at 9:24 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
You uploaded this mod not even a few days ago yet, just wait for the next 8 hours, maybe it will be different.
These kind of discussions also can cause popularity sometimes.

Sep 15, 2015 at 9:26 PM
You uploaded this mod not even a few days ago yet, just wait for the next 8 hours, maybe it will be different.
These kind of discussions also can cause popularity sometimes.

Shhhhh.... tell nobody.

Well, I tried "marketing" my previous mods, and I got told that advertising is rather unwelcome.

EDIT:
Also, I understand that I just posted it. But the same three people were replying to it. I also tend to get really anxious when I post any of my work.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2015 at 9:44 PM
scrungy
I'm pretty sure some ASM was involved with the hearts that increase your health and max life.
I can assure you that the health thing wasn't done by ASM hacking. I just checked on BL right now and it's legit ASM-free.
Yeah, I literally just set the max health to 99 and removed the health bar

Sep 15, 2015 at 10:28 PM
Beakface
"All your forum are belong to us!"
It's not just the mod, but also the timing and content. It's back to school season for me, and perhaps a number of other people. That doesn't always leave a lot of time to play a mod. And it could also be that the content of the mod just doesn't interest a lot of people who are active at this moment. I remember a boss centred challenge on the forums before. These are not my particular mod interests at the moment.

Also, based on past mods, you seem to show little to no appreciation for the feedback you receive for a mod unless it's a straight up compliment, so I'm not even certain if you are interested in having people play your mod or if you just want your work to be bathed in praise. Comparing yourself to other "popular" mods isn't going to make users here play yours. It's quite often that you can put hard work into something and it receives minimal attention. That's just how these forums work, that's how life works. So you can keep improving this mod with the feedback you've already received, and/or just continue to move onto new projects. Slowly make your presence known, and tone down your ego.

Sep 15, 2015 at 10:54 PM
It's not just the mod, but also the timing and content. It's back to school season for me, and perhaps a number of other people. That doesn't always leave a lot of time to play a mod. And it could also be that the content of the mod just doesn't interest a lot of people who are active at this moment. I remember a boss centred challenge on the forums before. These are not my particular mod interests at the moment.

Also, based on past mods, you seem to show little to no appreciation for the feedback you receive for a mod unless it's a straight up compliment, so I'm not even certain if you are interested in having people play your mod or if you just want your work to be bathed in praise. Comparing yourself to other "popular" mods isn't going to make users here play yours. It's quite often that you can put hard work into something and it receives minimal attention. That's just how these forums work, that's how life works. So you can keep improving this mod with the feedback you've already received, and/or just continue to move onto new projects. Slowly make your presence known, and tone dowhen your ego.

You can ask Aar, I've gotten a lot better about this. The mod looked nothing like this in its original form. But I answered most of the (sometimes slightly nitpicky) contentions he raised. The only criticism I've seen so far is "I can't reset my weapons." For now, that hardly warrants an entire new version.

Additionally, I realize that comparing myself to popular mods might seem pretentious, but all I was doing is using examples. That's all I'm ever doing when I'm comparing and contrasting like that. The Jenka's Nightmare Challenge and The Twinkle Toes Challenge got very little recognition too, and they were both excellent and pretty challenging. But the minute that a hotshot like (no offense, nothing personal) Aar shows up with a similar mod, everyone is all over it. This forum is a popularity contest whose winners have already been chosen. I probably won't make any more mods. It seems that people who frequent the music section are more there for the music and less there for the people behind it. I just wish it was the same way in the modding section.

Sep 15, 2015 at 10:59 PM
Beakface
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Yeah, it's a shame that that's the way things work. I won't say anything about those mods, since I haven't played them yet. Strangely enough, I think the only mods I've been playing lately have come from you. So uh...yeah. I might get around to playing this later when I'm not playing Undertale :O.