Sanctuary Time Attack unplayable Humble Indie Bundle version

Jan 19, 2012 at 3:36 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I have beaten story mode and have unlocked every challenge mode, but whenever I try starting the Sanctuary Time Attack challenge, the story mode sequence with Kazuma trying to contact Sue starts and I begin in a glitchy, mashed version of the Start Point cave and what I assume is the first cave of the challenge.

I tried reinstalling by redownloading it from my Humble Indie Bundle link, but that does not solve the problem. Is there a fix or another source to download the mod from?

Windows 7 64bit.

sanctuary_bug.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 19, 2012 at 4:24 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Sounds like just another bug from Nicalis. You should report it to them, hopefully they can fix it soon.

Jan 19, 2012 at 5:43 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I like how it won't let me enter text into the Nicalis contact page.

Jan 19, 2012 at 5:57 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Odd, I can enter in a message on the contact page just fine.

Jan 19, 2012 at 12:52 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
MAYBE IT'S A SECRET GAMEMODE?
lol
That would actually be interesting to play.. :p

Jan 19, 2012 at 5:01 PM
Based Member
This is by far the most extreme glitch I have ever seen NICALiS pull off. One thing that I found funny is that if you open up Cave Editor, go to the start point, and replace the tile set with hell, then the room will look exactly like that. Also, if you manage to get through that room without getting yourself stuck, you basically can progress through the game as usual. One thing that's strange though, is that some rooms use the scripts from the Aeon Genesis translation, while others use the new translation. Saving your game in this mode also doesn't work.

Jan 20, 2012 at 1:04 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Nicalis should've had some professional testers.

Jan 20, 2012 at 1:10 AM
Offensive User
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
You can't blame us for something that was created after the release. For example, the timer for Wind Fortress is borked now, but that did not appear in testing at all (Yeah, really.)

Jan 20, 2012 at 7:34 PM
Based Member
That's a fair point. But with a glitch like that, along with the Wind Fortress timer glitch, and many more minor ones, it is really worthy of a delay for time to fix those glitches. This makes me think "Wow, I wonder how buggy Cave Story 3D would be if it were released in august, its original scheduled month of release."

Jan 20, 2012 at 8:54 PM
Offensive User
I don't think that you are understanding this. None of us saw these bugs in the beta. Obviously, they were created just before the initial release. If they tweak some things that were before the release, and that they were untested, then it's out of our range.
Also, I don't see what you say of these "other problems". There aren't any other minor problems; just these two.
Also, this person is on a Windows machine, therefore this is pertaining to the Windows version. Not the Mac version, and especially not the Linux version.

Back on topic to the start, can you try this on the Steam version, and see what you get? You don't really have to complete the game, but just edit mods.txt inside the Data folder and change everything to R+.

Jan 20, 2012 at 10:04 PM
Based Member
ShinyElectricBlueTiger said:
Also, I don't see what you say of these "other problems". There aren't any other minor problems; just these two.
Also, this person is on a Windows machine, therefore this is pertaining to the Windows version. Not the Mac version, and especially not the Linux version.
This sanctuary time attack problem is not on the steam version. And as it just so happens, I am running the windows version as well. Also, there ARE other glitches in CS+.
In boss rush mode, when you exit the battle with either Omega or Toroko+, the camera gets all jerky. Also, when you either go to the portal menu or pause the game on smaller screens, it zooms in. Do this on larger screens, then in the blackness you see bits of sprite sheets. Additionally, at the end of wind fortress mode, when it says, "The End" they forgot to use the <FAC0000 command, making Curly's face picture still appear in the message box. There are other glitches in Cave Story+.

Jan 20, 2012 at 10:57 PM
Offensive User
Allow me to clarify several things:
1. When you said many other problems, you weren't specific enough on the port, since the only problems that people had were on the Linux version. Other than that, there was a small problem with disabling the Christmas sprites on the PC version, but again, out of our control.
2. To see if the person was not having the problem on the Steam version, I asked him. This is to ensure that this specific person is not having the problem in another version.

Also, regarding your glitches:
Numbers one and two cannot be replicated on ALL of my computers, even my old crappy 7 year old computer that was not even made for gaming. Chances are, you are the only one having this problem.
Also, "glitch" number 3 is as much as a glitch as the added block in the G-Clone room.

Jan 21, 2012 at 12:34 AM
Based Member
Allow me to clarify several things:

1. When you said many other problems, you weren't specific enough on the port, since the only problems that people had were on the Linux version. Other than that, there was a small problem with disabling the Christmas sprites on the PC version, but again, out of our control.

2. To see if the person was not having the problem on the Steam version, I asked him. This is to ensure that this specific person is not having the problem in another version.
1. I was referring to the windows version of the humble indie bundle. That is the version the author of this thread is using. Other problems exist on that version. Also, I was able to disable the seasonal sprites on my windows humble indie bundle version.
2. The author of this topic stated that he was using the windows humble indie bundle. That's the version I'm running.
Also, regarding your glitches:
Numbers one and two cannot be replicated on ALL of my computers, even my old crappy 7 year old computer that was not even made for gaming. Chances are, you are the only one having this problem. Also, "glitch" number 3 is as much as a glitch as the added block in the G-Clone room.
If you're referring to numbers one and two, then you must mean the jerky camera in boss rush and the strange things when pausing or going to the portal menu. The jerky camera can almost certainly be recreated if you're running the same version. What I mean is they forgot to use the <FON0016 command. But you're right about number two. As for number three, are you saying that NICALiS meant for Curly to break the fourth wall?
Breakingthefourthwall.jpg

Jan 21, 2012 at 12:47 AM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
As for number three, are you saying that NICALiS meant for Curly to break the fourth wall?
Firstly, link removed in the quote because we DON'T need people being sucked into an endless void of tropes for several hours, THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
Secondly, no, that is not a glitch, it is an oversight. Learn to differentiate.

Jan 21, 2012 at 1:10 AM
Based Member
Firstly, link removed in the quote because we DON'T need people being sucked into an endless void of tropes for several hours, THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
Secondly, no, that is not a glitch, it is an oversight. Learn to differentiate.
If someone gets sucked into an endless void of tropes for several hours, then it's that person's own fault, not mine.
Secondly, if a game is either doing something it shouldn't be, or not doing something it should be, then I call it a glitch.
I hope you do not think I'm trying to be argumentative, because I'm not. I am merely defending my opinions.

Jan 21, 2012 at 1:23 AM
Offensive User
Guess who redownloaded the HIB version...!
Even on that version, I'm still not having any of the problems you mentioned. And yes, the same results occur on ALL of my computers.

Also,
Secondly, if a game is either doing something it shouldn't be, or not doing something it should be, then I call it a glitch.
Well, guess what. It isn't.

Jan 21, 2012 at 1:26 AM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
If someone gets sucked into an endless void of tropes for several hours, then it's that person's own fault, not mine.
First, never link to TV Tropes, especially if it's for something as obvious and "every-fucking-person-knows-what-it-is" as breaking the fourth wall.

Second, a glitch is, by definition,
1. A minor malfunction, mishap, or technical problem; a snag.
NOT a typo in the script!

I hope you do not think I'm trying to be argumentative, because I'm not. I am merely defending my opinions.
Third, if someone is either defending their opinions, or saying they aren't being argumentative, then I call it being argumentative.

Jan 21, 2012 at 1:29 AM
Based Member
When was the humble indie bundle last updated? The version I'm running was last updated on December 13th, 2011. Is your version newer? If so, then I'll believe you that you're not encountering any of these glitches. Furthermore, if you do not believe that I am encountering these glitches, then I can post a video to prove it if you so desire.

EDIT: Oh, sorry Dunc, didn't see your post.
First, never link to TV Tropes, especially if it's for something as obvious and "every-fucking-person-knows-what-it-is" as breaking the fourth wall.
I have seen people link to tvtropes on this forum before, and with no criticism. I seriously think you're over reacting.
Second, a glitch is, by definition,
1. A minor malfunction, mishap, or technical problem; a snag.
NOT a typo in the script!,
If something is happening that shouldn't be, that doesn't mean that the company shouldn't be letting it slip by and not fix it.
Third, if someone is either defending their opinions, or saying they aren't being argumentative, then I call it being argumentative.
I will respect your opinion.

Jan 21, 2012 at 1:32 AM
Offensive User
This is the same exact version and trust me, I'm positive that I don't need a video of a problem that you're having.