Robots on the island's power source

Aug 27, 2012 at 10:02 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Read first!:
Wind, solar, hydro, and combustion based energy are all ruled all. On an coal, oil, etc. is hard to ship onto a floating island. And with mostly caves, the others are almost impossible.

Power room, blue robots:
I'm guessing a rechargeable battery of sorts. They're mostly located in more devolved areas, and probably near a AC outlet.

Killer robots:
Maybe a fission reactor?? Being mass produced, and somewhat expendable, I'm sure the country's of the surface wouldn't be willing to use billions if not trillions of dollars to research fusion. The problem is, once the uranium runs out, the killer robots will stop working.

Scouts(Q and C):
After the country's of the surface realized that the demon crown is evil, and wish to destroy it, they probably were willing to use billions of dollars to research fusion. So Quote and Curly were probably equipped with such technology. Fuel for fusion is hydrogen, the most common element in the universe, so fuel wouldn't be a problem. The only problem with this it, if servery damaged, the fusion device may supernova, but this doesn't happen in-game.

Disclaimer: If your mind is blown by reading this post, please immediately press the "back" button of your browser.

Aug 28, 2012 at 1:56 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
The island's power source is the Core. The robot's power source is whatever. Get yo' act together.
Edit:
If English were math, this thread would be titled (Robots on the island)'s power source.

Aug 28, 2012 at 7:39 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
The island's power source is the Core. The robot's power source is whatever.
Get yo' act together.
Edit:
If English were math, this thread would be titled (Robots on the island)'s power source.

I'm pretty sure the robot's power source is taken from small holes in the terrain that only they can see. Or it might just be they are made to not need fuel, or be some weird hybrid made by Jenka.

Aug 28, 2012 at 8:02 AM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Alright, so you say that most regular types of energy have been ruled out.
That makes no sense.
The Island has an enormous rapidly flowing river of water within it. That would be plenty for hydro energy, likely enough to power the Teleporter grid, the computer network, MALCO and his fellow robots, AND be able to be used as a charging station for batteries, such as the ones used in Sprinklers. I always imagined the Waterway and Main Artery to go throughout the whole island, so it wouldn't be too much of a problem to hook up a hydro generator near the Power Room and hook it up to the control panel and what appears to be a transformer.

Wind energy would be simple! Slap a couple windmills on the side or bottom of the Island and... wait. What's on the bottom of the Island? The Wind Fortress. Why was the Wind Fortress built anyway? I'm positive it wasn't solely for the purpose of making naked clones of Curly Brace. It could very well have been for harnessing wind energy. Wouldn't the G-Clone have needed power too? The Wind Fortress may have been chosen as an area to build the G-Clone in due too it being fairly unknown to most of the island, along with it being the power source of the killer robots sent to the Island! I assume it to be the power source of the killer robots because technology like that was only ever put on the Island by the countries on the surface. After all, Pixel is very descriptive when it comes to his area names.

Solar would be slightly less productive than hydro and wind, but still possible. We know the inhabitants of the Island have limited technology, and it isn't too difficult to create a solar panel, as far as I am aware. There could very well be some solar panels on the top of the Island- not the Balcony, but perhaps above the Black Space? Again it wouldn't be nearly as productive as hydro or wind, due to lack of space, but still possible.

You're probably right about fossil fuels, they would be difficult to ship in large quantities, and there wouldn't be very much found naturally in the Island.

I agree that Quote and Curly would most likely have nuclear power supplies. With a half-life of even 5 years, a nuclear battery would be able to support Quote and Curly for far more than enough time to complete their mission.

EDIT: I'd like to know your reasons for why "green" energy sources wouldn't be possible on the Island? Perhaps I've overlooked something that you didn't.

Aug 28, 2012 at 8:13 AM
Little Bitch in Sheep Clothing
"..."
That is rather sad, (Quote and Curly)'s battery will only last for 5 years.

But oh... then again they could change it and they will be virtually immortal.

Aug 28, 2012 at 6:57 PM
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
No, Quote and Curly's batteries will be at 50% capacity in five years. In ten years, it will be at 25%. If this isn't what half-life really means then please, enlighten me. Also, minerguy, why do you think the countries on the surface having put billions of dollars into nuclear research would have any effect on their Quote and Curly's power source? Quote and Curly weren't made by the same people who mass-produced the killer robots. Also, why on earth would anything have a built-in nuclear power plant as a power supply? Nuclear batteries last very long times, and they're far more stable. It isn't even practical. And with the "huge advancements in nuclear power" you believe have been made. I doubt it would be too hard to pick up a pair of nuclear batteries with a realatively short half-life.

Aug 28, 2012 at 7:52 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
there are many Mysteries we cannot Hope to Solve
The Creator made it so they Live when your Computer Loads them
the Good Game has all the answers you need to know!
ALL PRAISE BE TO PIXEL!!!

... Just kidding :p
It's good practice for the scientific mind to try to recreate scifi technology in our world.
All I have is a question : Do those health/energy refill stations actually exist in Cave Story?
Or are they just gameplay elements that for the player's benefit?

Aug 28, 2012 at 10:19 PM
Alright, so you say that most regular types of energy have been ruled out.
That makes no sense.
The Island has an enormous rapidly flowing river of water within it. That would be plenty for hydro energy, likely enough to power the Teleporter grid, the computer network, MALCO and his fellow robots, AND be able to be used as a charging station for batteries, such as the ones used in Sprinklers. I always imagined the Waterway and Main Artery to go throughout the whole island, so it wouldn't be too much of a problem to hook up a hydro generator near the Power Room and hook it up to the control panel and what appears to be a transformer.

Wind energy would be simple! Slap a couple windmills on the side or bottom of the Island and... wait. What's on the bottom of the Island? The Wind Fortress. Why was the Wind Fortress built anyway? I'm positive it wasn't solely for the purpose of making naked clones of Curly Brace. It could very well have been for harnessing wind energy. Wouldn't the G-Clone have needed power too? The Wind Fortress may have been chosen as an area to build the G-Clone in due too it being fairly unknown to most of the island, along with it being the power source of the killer robots sent to the Island! I assume it to be the power source of the killer robots because technology like that was only ever put on the Island by the countries on the surface. After all, Pixel is very descriptive when it comes to his area names.

Solar would be slightly less productive than hydro and wind, but still possible. We know the inhabitants of the Island have limited technology, and it isn't too difficult to create a solar panel, as far as I am aware. There could very well be some solar panels on the top of the Island- not the Balcony, but perhaps above the Black Space? Again it wouldn't be nearly as productive as hydro or wind, due to lack of space, but still possible.

You're probably right about fossil fuels, they would be difficult to ship in large quantities, and there wouldn't be very much found naturally in the Island.

I agree that Quote and Curly would most likely have nuclear power supplies. With a half-life of even 5 years, a nuclear battery would be able to support Quote and Curly for far more than enough time to complete their mission.

EDIT: I'd like to know your reasons for why "green" energy sources wouldn't be possible on the Island? Perhaps I've overlooked something that you didn't.
When i meant wind, solar, and hydro i meant that the devices were mounted directly on the robots.(Malco carrying a solar panel).
Also the killer robots probably didn't have time to charge their batteries because they had to retrieve the crown asap, and possibly before ones from a rival country did

@Your-second-post:
Well, the USS Nimitzhas a built in nuclear power supply

Aug 28, 2012 at 10:56 PM
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
Obviously everything will run on batteries, it's impractical to do anything else. And why wouldn't the killer robots have batteries? When you build them just pop a fully charged battery in them and you're good. As I said before, it's impractical to have nuclear power plants in the robots. Don't try to say otherwise, because it is. Do you have any idea what that would cost? They mass-produced those killer robots. It'd cost trillions of today's dollars to do that. A recharging station somewhere on the Island - like the Wind Fortress - is the most likely answer.

Sep 6, 2012 at 1:16 PM
A Reluctant Balrog's Waifu
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
I have nothing of any real value to add other than I agree with Dunc. It seems pretty likely that the Wind Fortress generates power, probably for the manufacture of all of those Curly clones. Even though it's not a part of the main game, I think it's fairly safe to assume the area itself exists.

minerguy667, I accept your theories too. It would seem like the robots as you've listed them are in order of complexity. Curly and Quote are certainly extraordinarily advanced, so it's not far fetched to dip into "science fiction"ish theories regarding them.