Recommend a game that you like that no one else seem to play

Nov 24, 2004 at 5:08 PM
Penguin Administrator
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Recommend some games that you enjoy playing that no one else seem to even know about here. Explain the reason why you like it and sell sell sell! (your idea, and not your game)

RIBBIT KING
Available for PS2 and GC

I bought this game after I saw a demo of it at the local Game Stop GC. I pretty much bought the game just because of the fact that the character design was pretty much that is very "me". The black alien in the game is very similar looking to my alien doodles. The price of the game was very low at 19.99 for a new one, so I bought it not knowing what I was investing my money into. After I started playing, I was totally hooked on it.

The game itself is a "FROLF" tournament all over the galaxy. So what is "FROLF," one might ask? It's a golf-like game but instead of hitting a golf ball with your club, you hit a mechanical apparatus that will make your frogs jump high when you hit it. (Similar to ones at the amusement park) Another big difference between these two "sports" is the frogs themselves. They are living creatures after all, so a fly may distract its course, they will swim in the pond and they also hop a few times even after they land. The course itself is very different from your conventional gold course as well. There are elephants, robots, smiling bubbles, snakes, presents, aliens, fishes, rainy clouds, thundering clouds, etc... They all either contribute positive or negative bonus points for each turn or they sometimes even alter the direction of where your frog is heading.

Each world has a different themed setting as well. There's the ice world, lava world, mechanical world, and so on. Each world has a different effect on how the frogs will act and what the strategy will be to win the rounds.

Ribbit King comes with a bonus disc that contains unlockable videos. In total, you will unlock 25+ characters and frogs, bottle caps, and these videos. You can also play the game again after you cleared it the first time which is a lot tougher. This second playthrough is not an exact replay, and contains a different storyline and characters. The courses are now in reverse direction as well.

I think you can find both version of the game around $12.99 now, so it's definitely a great investment.

Apr 1, 2005 at 7:24 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
*Cough!*

Yes! I know this thread is old but the topic attracted me like moths to a bug-zapper ( poor things... ;_; ). Anyway you probably heard this game before ever since its 'grand' media coverage a while ago, but somehow people look at me funny whenever I try to recommend it to them. I guess its my explanation of the game that puts people off. The game is Katamary Damacy. Yes! Its that one game that involves a weird little 'hammer' man, named 'The Prince' and not to be mistaken for the-Artist-Formally-Known-as-the-Prince, that rolls a Bumble Rumble ball for a living. The object of the game is to roll up, run over, a bunch of stuff on your Katamary ball so that you can replace it with a star that has mysteriously disappeared all thanks to your dad, the King of Cosmos.

It sounds simple enough to do but there is a catch. Everytime you are sent back to earth to create another Katamary masterpiece you start out really small, and when I mean really small, I mean 5 Centimeters small! To makes matters worse, your deadbeat of a father gives you a time limit on how large the Katamary ball is supposed to be! So not only do you start out small, but you also have a small chance of success because your given a rather small time to complete a satisfactory sized Katamary ball!

Nevertheless, the game has decent retro Super FX block graphics, and it has a great sound track that you can hum to while you're taking a shower. Best thing about it is that the game will only cost you $19.99. You just can't beat that price unless they were giving the game away for free!

Apr 1, 2005 at 9:43 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Oh! Oh! That's like so neat! Also since you're a fan, PenPen, have you ever tried playing the game with your toes? It isn't very difficult to do unless you need to jump around for a bit. XD

Apr 1, 2005 at 10:37 PM
Penguin Administrator
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Toes!

Hmm... Never thought of that before. I don't think I can control my toes well enough to accompolish it.

May 12, 2005 at 5:08 PM
Blue Thunder
"No! Don't OPEN that DOOR!"
Suikoden :( I'm tired of going to conventions and meeting "RPG fans" that have never heard of it, but can recite half of Yuna's dialogue from FFX.

I also loved Katamari Damacy. That was one messed up game! It became video game crack very quick. I can't explain it. It was just so strange and wacky, I couldn't help but love it.

Jan 14, 2007 at 6:46 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Fire Emblem
Gamecube, GBA, DS

From what I hear the Fire Emblem games are pretty popular over in Japan, but here in the states they aren't so much. The first Fire Emblem game I played was Path of Radiance for Gamecube, and needless to say I was very impressed. The Fire Emblem series is a strategy RPG that progresses in a pretty linear fashion, but gameplay wise is very deep and varied. In Path of Radiance there isn't any travel-able world map to speak of (there is a world map, but its only purpose is to tell you where you are in the setting of the story), and you progess by chapters. Each chapter usually consists of story, followed by a battle, followed by more story. Sounds boring, but the story is interesting enough to keep my attention, and the battles are a LOT of fun. Fire Emblem was like a breath of fresh air for me, as I hadn't experienced a good strategy RPG at that point since Final Fantasy Tactics.

Feb 10, 2007 at 3:19 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Shining Soul II

it's such a abandoned game. it needs more attention

Mar 16, 2007 at 11:37 PM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
rubyedd said:
Shining Soul II

it's such a abandoned game. it needs more attention

I'm playing it ;)

Mar 26, 2007 at 11:13 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Pole Position, nuff said.

Apr 10, 2007 at 7:14 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Ever17 - [PC game] It's an interesting combination between a novel and a game; like a step beyond an audio book where you can make a difference in the stories outcome, with a complete set of voice actors and music~ In other words it's what they like to call a Visual Novel!

This particular game has the player choose between 2 male main characters for the PC and 5 female characters to focus on for the different endings. But, the story is about an underwater themepark; when things go horribly wrong and the different characters have to find a way to survive and possibly discover why the events occured. It's a game with mature themes, and I believe 11 different endings..! The replay value is high because, as you play through, you learn more of the puzzle through each ending, until the final endings are unlocked...
Here's a demo of the game!
http://www.download.com/EVER17-Out-...528.html?part=dl-EVER17Out&subj=dl&tag=button

Phantom of the Inferno - [DVD player game] The first visual novel I ever played. An absolute treasure, it follows the story of underground organizations that keep control of the mafia or are used to assassinate or deal illegal products. The main character has found himself caught up in this world as he struggles to find his identity when forcibly finding himself joining their ranks.

This one is cheap to purchase, and I always highly reccomend. [this game has spawned several remakes/re-releases in Japan; and really made the company I think]

Oh and a note the company that released these 2 games in english has had a hard time selling these gems :(

EDIT:
One more game on a completely different note.
TD2192, Traffic Department 2192
A little known shareware DOS game that came out years ago; which I spent many years trying to trackdown after forgetting its name.

Here's a quote from Wikipedia :
"The most notable aspect of the series is the detailed and often complex script by Christopher Perkins. The game features lengthy cutscenes before and after each of the sixty missions. Each cutscene spans across multiple scenes, giving the game's storyline a reported length of 50,000 words. The cutscenes are made up of conversations between two or more characters on the screen with static 3D images of locations cut between each scene. The game's dialogue features both profanity and sexually-suggestive language, but there is an option at the start of the game to disable all mature content."

The story really had me enthralled. The gameplay of course is sort of ancient and requires DOSBox or similar to play. But, the story really was interesting. The music especially too. I'm absolutely positive Skye at least would like this game lol [I think!]

I never played through all 3 episodes but I plan to do so :eek:
http://www.abandonia.com/games/344/download/TrafficDepartment2192.htm
Full version free to download!

EDITEDIT:
Forgot the power of youtube :p :D
Here's a decent quality quick opening of the game TD2192!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUMwPSHshpQ

Ever17's anime opening :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uz3yQmPsrY

Phantom of the Inferno :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFc8gvAHUOQ
[it's not the US opening; couldn't find it in english]

Apr 12, 2007 at 3:17 AM
Slacker
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
I want this topic to be revived.

Brave Fencer Musashi- Action RPG on PS1. It's got a bit of humor, and it's pretty challenging with a nice bit of platforming in between fighting.

Ikaruga(GC/DC)- A Shoot 'em Up game at it's finest. Very challenging to beat, more challenging to get a high score.

Os! Tatake! Ouendan!- A rhythm game for the DS that's very fun, but you have to import it. If you don't like importing, try...

Elite Beat Agents(DS)- Same kind of game, Amercanized. Dont' let the track list discourage you from getting this if you like rhythm games.

Disgaea 1 and 2(PS2)- Tactical RPG. Very very humorous, animeish, and it's got great gameplay if you're into Tactical RPGs.

Apr 25, 2007 at 3:05 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Amazing Island

a GREAT GC party game. you design monsters and -play with them in minigames! get out there and play it!!!!! downside: it was made in limited quanities.

May 5, 2007 at 5:05 AM
Starbound sucked sadly
international super start soccer deluxe (snes game)
super bomerman 2 (snes)
the soccers good head to head matches
and bomber mans a great 4 player multiplayer as
i think most people might hate bomber man tho

And also a awesome game that people might play called Devil may cry 3
its on computer and ps2 i think

May 7, 2007 at 12:11 AM
Slacker
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
I <3 Bomberman, the thought of bomberman made me remember Saturn Bomberman, which to me is the best Bomberman of all time.

8 Player Multiplayer, lots of different powerups, levels with their own unique things about them, and unique powerups...

My mom gave away my sega saturn with Saturn Bomberman : (

May 24, 2007 at 5:02 AM
Starbound sucked sadly
8 players thats massive the max one ive seen was 5 players

May 26, 2007 at 4:10 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Disgaea: Hour of Darkness

One of the greatest games ever. a strategy rpg bu atlas and Nippon ichi. it's cool.

May 30, 2007 at 4:56 AM
twilight
"No! Don't OPEN that DOOR!"
Guys Can I Ask Something.... Why Cant I Change My Avatar???

May 30, 2007 at 1:04 PM
Starbound sucked sadly
first you have to post 10 times and also be registered for a week

May 30, 2007 at 1:55 PM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
Yep. What xrisosx said, except the posts need to be in a forum other than the MG general discussion forums or they won't count. This is a preventive method for those who would upload a personal avatar i.e. take up server space and then leave after one or two posts.

And man seeing my signature used by someone else is just odd, especially when they haven't posted here before. lol

-SkyeWelse