quotecurescorona's questions of the days - a cool thread about questions about CS/CS+/CS3D (mostly)

Aug 1, 2021 at 10:40 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
question: what does it say on quote's cap?? and what language is it in??

Aug 1, 2021 at 11:27 PM
"Huzzah!"
presumably 'curly brace' in english since that's the only instance of 'quote' having anything on his hat - however, that was only ever shown in the beta concept art, and everything after that (in-game credits art, drawings of him by pixel, official art from the nicalis ports etc) leaves it blank except for that one line from sue.
imo pixel initially meant for him to still have something on his hat, whether it be 'curly brace' or not, but changed his mind for whatever reason and forgot to update that bit of dialogue lmao

Aug 1, 2021 at 11:35 PM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
This was discussed not long ago.

The short answer is, nobody really knows. It's probably not in Japanese, since the original Cave Story is in Japanese, and Sue says those words aren't from around there. It might be English, or some other language. It might say Curly Brace, it might say Quote, or it might say something else altogether. It's fun to discuss, but at the end of the day, it's all still speculation.

Aug 1, 2021 at 11:37 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
I like to assume it just says "Quote" on his cap
I feel like Sue mentions "the letters on your cap aren't from here" implies (based on the assumption that the island is located somewhere above Japan or near Japan) that Quote/Curly were not created in Japan but rather made by an English person, but that's just headcanon/theory stuff and it's more likely to be just a leftover from earlier versions that Pixel forgot to remove
(edit: and it looks like Hayden made a post saying pretty much the same thing a minute before i sent this lol)

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2021 at 1:58 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
The letters on Quote's hat clearly read:
COTTON/POLYESTER
WARM HAND WASH
DO NOT BLEACH
DO NOT HAND WRING
DRY IN SHADE
DO NOT IRON
DO NOT DRYCLEAN

Quote: "What letters on my cap?"
Sue: "Your tag is sticking out."

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2021 at 2:01 AM
Serri Online
War criminal
Aug 2, 2021 at 3:55 AM
Based Member
No no, you've both got it wrong.

It's a red baseball cap, so by default, it says "MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN"

Aug 2, 2021 at 4:56 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
In all seriousness the only way to justify this mistake (Sue's dialogue) in-game is if the writing was either on a clothing tag, on the hat written really small, on the top of the rim, on the left side of the hat, or in lettering that only shows up under light (such as gloss or emboss/deboss, or extra same colour paint on the letters, or really fine engraving on that front plate). Unless of course we simply accept that none of the credit art is canon.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2021 at 5:22 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
In all seriousness the only way to justify this mistake (Sue's dialogue) in-game is if the writing was either on a clothing tag, on the hat written really small, on the top of the rim, on the left side of the hat, or in lettering that only shows up under light (such as gloss or emboss/deboss, or extra same colour paint on the letters, or really fine engraving on that front plate). Unless of course we simply accept that none of the credit art is canon.
even though it's still likely a mistake you could also say there's no words visible on his hat in the credit art because it would probably look messy if he tried to, as an artist sometimes I simplify parts of character designs for the sake of not being able to fit details in certain resolutions/line thicknesses
even if that was the case though we still will probably never know what it was actually meant to say

Aug 2, 2021 at 5:33 AM
"Huzzah!"
Unless of course we simply accept that none of the credit art is canon
tbh even if you were to argue that, like i said, nothing drawn by pixel or official art for the ports has depicted anything on his hat since the beta concept art

Aug 2, 2021 at 6:20 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
even though it's still likely a mistake you could also say there's no words visible on his hat in the credit art because it would probably look messy if he tried to, as an artist sometimes I simplify parts of character designs for the sake of not being able to fit details in certain resolutions/line thicknesses
even if that was the case though we still will probably never know what it was actually meant to say
Nah. Pixel did it for the beta art where it said "Curly Brace".

PrtPhoto.png

Sue's dialogue is clearly a holdover from the beta. Effectively Sue's dialogue is most likely wrong, not the art. I am not talking about that though, I am talking about how the inconsistency between the art and Sue's dialogue can be justified in-game.

Aug 2, 2021 at 6:38 AM
Serri Online
War criminal
Sue... probably sees the golden sticker at the bottom of the bill on his cap? Fuck it, my new headcanon is that Quote is wearing the COCK hat from K-On!

Aug 2, 2021 at 2:46 PM
Based Member
Unless of course we simply accept that none of the credit art is canon.
It may closely resemble cannon, but there's a chance it might not be definitive, given that the credit art image of Quote fighting Misery depicts him with the blade, even if you replaced it with the Nemesis.

Aug 3, 2021 at 1:55 AM
"Huzzah!"
I always just assumed Quote was supposed to have something on his hat, but everyone (including Pixel himself) forgot to add that detail when drawing art of him.

Aug 3, 2021 at 7:33 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
why is the polar star in the chest in hermit gunsmith? couldn't you just have it at the start of the game as soon as you walk out the door in start point?

Aug 3, 2021 at 7:51 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Do you want a lore-based answer or a gameplay answer?

Aug 3, 2021 at 8:01 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
any answer

Aug 3, 2021 at 9:21 PM
Serri Online
War criminal
Because Pixel is a monster and wants you to figure out how to destroy the SN blocks right next to the Starting Point. How DARE he make you learn???

Aug 4, 2021 at 12:01 AM
"Huzzah!"
so we, the player, learn that quote is actually a raging kleptomaniac filled with the desire to steal everything that's nailed down and then the nails. it's important lore.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2021 at 1:37 AM
Based Member
why is the polar star in the chest in hermit gunsmith? couldn't you just have it at the start of the game as soon as you walk out the door in start point?

why is the polar star in the chest in hermit gunsmith?

why is the polar star in the chest

I don't think anyone has ever addressed why the polar star was sitting in a chest, so I want to address that. If he were actively working on that gun, it seems like he wouldn't have it in storage like that, he'd probably have it out on a table or workbench or something, so he must have been taking a break from working on it. We find him taking a napping break, but it probably wasn't a super long one. Then again, there's also a period of time where he's "out," so maybe he was taking a lengthy break, and was keeping it in the chest for safe keeping. But then that begs the question: if he put it in the chest for safe keeping, why didn't he lock it? Quote generally doesn't open chests/doors that are sealed or locked shut real well, he pretty much just opens chests that will easily open, so why did the gunsmith go to so much effort to safely stow the polar star in the chest, but didn't lock it? I guess probably because he was so used to only being in the company of bats and critters who weren't nearly intelligent enough to open the chest, so he thought it would be safe in the chest.

So Hermit Gunsmith has a chest for storage, and was keeping the polar star in there while he was taking a break from working on it.