Quote built on the Island??

May 28, 2009 at 5:22 AM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I could provide counter-points to all of those, most of which I wouldn't even believe, but I'm not going to discuss Cave Story just for the sake of discussing Cave Story. I thought this was silly from the start, but hey, it was a fresh thread. RIP, little thread.

May 28, 2009 at 5:45 AM
This Troper
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
andwhyisit said:
This is pure speculation. You have no desire to aim at any truth whatsoever. The problem with speculation is that you can "make sh*t up" when you are disproven, which manages to annoy everyone.

It is made quite obvious that Quote wasn't scrapped together due to him excelling over the soldier robots in design (as mentioned by Kazuma). Evidence suggests that the humans on the island were most likely explorers or scientists. Though this has been mentioned before, Quote and Curly never finished their mission and they look like soldier robots because they are human-like in design, which is a common trait amongst soldier-type robots.

How did Bob die after all the robots and Miakid were already dead? Why put Quote and Curly in two completely separate locations? Why didn't Curly remember Bob instead of just waking up one day surrounded by Mimigas? If a mind reset was required then why was Curly's memory recoverable and not a blank slate? If Curly's memory was recoverable then why didn't Bob finish the job and restore it after the starting process was finished? Wouldn't that suggest that Bob never finished working on Curly? Why didn't he finish Curly? Wouldn't that suggest that he finished Quote? In that case why didn't he finish Quote? Wouldn't that suggest that he finished Curly? Curly, Quote? Quote, Curly? How could Bob half-finish both robots at the same time in different locations? I sense a paradox, or a new half-baked explaination.
I can't really argue with you, andwhy. Your argument is strong, extensive and non-aggresive. Maybe I've taken expanding a whole theory from a shitty joke a little too far. But still this wasn't totally useless, we've had fun, we learned something...

But still, here's your half-baked explanation (using mostly things I already said here):
- An old wound from the War, probably badly healed.
- So that Curly doesn't get in the way while Quote's being repaired.
- Either damage to the memory banks or memory reset as a part of the restarting sequence.
- You got me here. Because, uh... of futuristic technology? Or maybe it's like deleting files in Windows, they're not gone until you write over them.
- Yeah, definitely memory reset as a part of the restarting sequence.
- Nope. Or maybe he intended to do so at a later date...
- Dunno. Maybe he intended to do so at a later date...
- I'm not sure how to answer that.
- 'Cause he died.
- Nope.
- I'll take Curly, thank you.
- What's wrong with you?
- He, uh, half-finished one, then moved on to the other one, with intentions to get back to the first one later.
- He didn't
Well, yeah, I don't take this as seriously as before, so if you want to lock the thread, be my guest.

May 28, 2009 at 8:17 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
I prefer the theory of King constructing Quote (or at least acting as a voice actor (after getting the Silver Locker, when Toroko knocks him over, King has the same sound effect as Quote when damaged)) over the Bob teory... nothing personal. I'm slowly getting an urge to make a mod myself, being a prequel to Cave Story from King's perspective (before he loses his memory after getting Frenzied during the battle againt Miakid).

May 28, 2009 at 11:10 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Wewt?

Oh boy, help ^.^
Except for Captain, who's post really doesn't belong in a theories section... {Lazy...}

Anyways the main dislike I have about this theory is thinking that Quote and Curly were made from scrap parts...
But, I guess it's just a theory...
=D
So, are you going to re-think this all and give a more detailed story now, T-Jack?
After seeing andwhy tear it apart like such....:D

May 28, 2009 at 11:38 PM
This Troper
VoidMage_Lowell said:
Anyways the main dislike I have about this theory is thinking that Quote and Curly were made from scrap parts...
Yeah... You already said that...

VoidMage_Lowell said:
But, I guess it's just a theory...
I guess "specilation" is more accurate, but whatever.

VoidMage_Lowell said:
So, are you going to re-think this all and give a more detailed story now, T-Jack?
After seeing andwhy tear it apart like such....:D
Well, more like "punched a few holes in it". The problem is that you all ask the same questions over and over.
But I don't think that reading through this whole thread and assembling a better version of this story would be worth it. I mean, sure, if the game had any solid hook on which this "theory" might be hung, but all I can do is weave it through the net and hope it won't fall off. Unless, of course, you really want me to do it...

May 28, 2009 at 11:42 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
=D?

T-Jack said:
Yeah... You already said that...
My main dislike about this theory is that it says Curly and Quote are made from spare parts....
:D

T-Jack said:
I guess "specilation" is more accurate, but whatever.
Speculation*
Learn your spellingz, or at least use the Spell-check, =D
T-Jack said:
Well, more like "punched a few holes in it". The problem is that you all ask the same questions over and over.
But I don't think that reading through this whole thread and assembling a better version of this story would be worth it. I mean, sure, if the game had any solid hook on which this "theory" might be hung, but all I can do is weave it through the net and hope it won't fall off. Unless, of course, you really want me to do it...
Well, it's your theory/speculation/explanation.....
Do you want it to go down like this?
Shouldn't users-to-come know your full thoughts, now that you've seen the errors?

May 29, 2009 at 12:17 AM
This Troper
VoidMage_Lowell said:
Speculation*
Learn your spellingz, or at least use the Spell-check, =D
Nitpicking, are ya?

VoidMage_Lowell said:
Well, it's your theory/speculation/explanation.....
Do you want it to go down like this?
Shouldn't users-to-come know your full thoughts, now that you've seen the errors?
Okay, here you go, sorted chronologically, in more readable format:
- 10 years in the past, the Island was invaded by robots, who started to kill the Mimigas and humans that tried to protect them. The Mimigas in turn ingested the Red Flowers and massacred the robots. In this time, Bob, the genius, was wounded. He survived, but the wound would cause him problems.
- Bob collected and studied the robots' remains, then used all the undamaged parts he could find to build Quote and Curly, thus they shared a lot of defining qualities with the original Surface roots. He did it in the Start Point, because it was the safest place he could find.
- The Demon Crown was claimed by Miakid.
- Bob sent Quote and Curly to destroy the Crown, in order to ensure that the Island won't be invaded again. They succeeded, but not without being heavily damaged themselves.
- Bob found Curly, dragged her back to the Start Point and repaired her.
- Quote was found. Bob had him brought back to the Start Point, meanwhile brought Curly to Sand Zone to re-activate her, so that she can be useful and doesn't interfere with Bob's work. Note that the re-activation process erases the robot's memory. Why can the memories be restored through Ma Pignon? Who knows.
- Bob repairs Quote, but dies shortly afterwards because of the badly healed War wound, so he unfortunately cannot activate the poor robot.

- Quote is suddenly re-activated by Kazuma's transmission.

May 29, 2009 at 7:52 AM
- Quote is suddenly re-activated by Kazuma's transmission.
I don't get how that would happen... but it follows the beginning of the game quite well.

May 29, 2009 at 7:00 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
*Shrugs*

Yal said:
I don't get how that would happen... but it follows the beginning of the game quite well.
Until we know how Quote himself works, we can't really understand it ourselves..

May 29, 2009 at 10:55 PM
Quote is a series of tubes. Isn't this common knowledge?
Where did the strange letters on Quote's hat come from if he was built on the island? I don't think any of the other robots wore hats.

May 29, 2009 at 11:19 PM
This Troper
Bob's own hat from the time he lived on the Surface. Given to Quote as a part of his disguise. Just like the clothes.

May 29, 2009 at 11:21 PM
I don't want to know where he got Curly's clothes from.

May 29, 2009 at 11:24 PM
This Troper
Bob was a crossdresser. There, it's out.

May 29, 2009 at 11:28 PM
I'd rather go with "Quote was created by a powerful military" than "Quote was pieced together by a hermit cross-dresser."

May 29, 2009 at 11:34 PM
This Troper
That's just matter of preference, really.

May 30, 2009 at 12:06 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Eh..

Captain Fabulous said:
I'd rather go with "Quote was created by a powerful military" than "Quote was pieced together by a hermit cross-dresser."
Powerful Military?
Then why was Curly and him the only two sent to destroy the Crown?
More like they were built by a highly-technical advanced {Curly and Quote > All the other robots} but small country...

Jun 13, 2009 at 3:28 AM
More like they were built by a highly-technical advanced {Curly and Quote > All the other robots} but small country...
Just because the country is small doesn't mean it can't afford only two robots... Switzerland has a very high B.N.P., and it's about the size of Sweden.

Jun 14, 2009 at 4:01 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Heheh

Yal said:
Just because the country is small doesn't mean it can't afford only two robots... Switzerland has a very high B.N.P., and it's about the size of Sweden.
'S another stereotype.
*Shrugs*
Well, anyways, replace "small country" with "Low on resources, but highly technologically advanced country"?
:D

Jun 14, 2009 at 12:04 PM
This Troper
Or "small independent team with low budget".

Feb 25, 2011 at 12:24 AM
Banned
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
I think that quote and curly are either defective,prototypes,or built by someone underground in the surface.Think of it, quote and curly beat the core when about 20 "killer" robots couldn't.Magic also could have played a part in their creation, as many people have magical abilities in cs.