Plus Porter (1.1.0.1)

Aug 12, 2021 at 3:02 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Well at least I managed to finally get this working. I will say I was thrown off once I started playing the mod though, namely the lines seem different from the + version. I'm guessing the script got retooled for commercial release or something. Oh also, THANK YOU for you're help!

Aug 12, 2021 at 3:23 AM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Yeah, my fourth ending mod uses the lines from the Aeon Genesis translation instead of the NICALiS translation. This mod was originally made for the freeware version of the game which uses the AGTP translation, and I didn't want to re-do the scripts to make the mod fit with the NICALiS translation. Partially because it would have been extra work, but mostly because I don't like the NICALiS translation.

And you're welcome, I'm glad that we were able to get this working, my suggested solution was a bit of a shot in the dark. Nice to see people still enjoying my mod and using Plus Porter years later.

Aug 12, 2021 at 3:46 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Shot in the dark or no, I'm glad it worked. Given what your mod does I can see why it's popular!

May 7, 2023 at 5:42 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I Downloaded The 4Endings Plus Thing As Well As Plus Porter And When I Open It And Choose The Cave Story+ Directory It Says It Cant Find Arms.bmp, I Have The Gog Version That Might Be It

May 7, 2023 at 7:36 AM
"Huzzah!"
I Have The Gog Version That Might Be It
iirc the GoG version uses .png for its image files instead of .bmp - i don't know if the plus porter has support for that?

May 7, 2023 at 12:23 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Yeah The Plus Porter Errors Out When It Cant Find The BMP Files So What I'm Thinking I Could Do Is Maybe Covert The PNGs To BMPs In Paint

May 7, 2023 at 12:56 PM
"Huzzah!"
uh, changing them to bmp will break your game, since it's looking for pngs... to be honest the GoG version is kinda broken already, if you can i'd recommend purchasing the steam or epic games version next time they're on sale

May 7, 2023 at 4:45 PM
War criminal
How feasible would it be to just download the already converted version that's listed in the OP and then convert any bitmaps to pngs? And I mean, the game should read the modified tsc files just fine.

May 7, 2023 at 7:13 PM
Based Member
Oh dear, I was not aware that the GoG version used png instead, sorry about that. I feel bad that this tool doesn't support the GoG version correctly, because I love GoG's business model. Unfortunately, making a patch of this program for even a slight fix like this just isn't high on my priority list at all.

What's also unfortunate, is that Serri's solution won't work because I designed Plus Porter in a way such that all the program's features all locked until an installation of CS+ has been verified, and its way of doing that is searching for all the image files in the game's directory, which it expects to have the .bmp file extension. I made it so stringent like this because the admins and moderators were very serious at the time about copyright infringement with Cave Story+'s graphics, so I wanted to make sure I stayed in DT and Andwhy's good graces. I don't know if the GoG CS+ .exe will work the same with all those images if they're converted to .bmp, but you can try that.

Here's my suggestion:
First, install an image batch conversion/editing program. From a cursory Brave search, XnConvert looks promising. Tell it to convert all of the png files in the game to bmp. If the game doesn't like that, then you can have it simply copy all of the png images and create bmp copies of them that exist alongside the existing png images. Then Plus Porter should work fine. The one extra step that will be required if you still need to keep the original png images, is that Plus Porter is going to make the necessary changes only to the .bmp files, so once the mod is applied, you're going to need to convert the newly edited bmp files into png equivalents to replace the originals. The edited images can be seen in the folder that the 4th Ending mod patch comes in. It should go without saying, make sure you have your game backed up or a means to re-install it if you mess something up in all of this image rearranging.

So sorry that you have to use such a hacky solution to get this to work! :greydroll:

Last edited: