Plus Porter (1.1.0.1)

Feb 20, 2020 at 5:15 AM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Whoa holy cow, I didn't realize Noxid was inactive. It's hard to imagine a CSTSF where Noxid has been inactive for over 4 months.

Feb 20, 2020 at 5:35 AM
War criminal
Whoa holy cow, I didn't realize Noxid was inactive. It's hard to imagine a CSTSF where Noxid has been inactive for over 4 months.
8 months, actually. I wish he did something 4 months ago.

May 11, 2020 at 3:11 AM
Based Member
If you've made changes to the map, them you'll want to include that map's .pxm file as a part of the port so that those changes show up in CS+. Not sure if you used the auto-port wizard, or if you replaced that map manually. If you used the auto-port wizard, then it should have automatically detected the changes and loaded the necessary files. Let me know if that's what you did and this bug still occurred. If you replaced that map manually, then you should have had the option to select the replacement .TSC, .PXM, and .PXE files, which store the script, map tile placement, and entity placement, respectively.

May 11, 2020 at 3:39 AM
Based Member
I am not sure if this is the issue, but I have imported the mod into the same two directories. What I mean by that, is that I chose my mod directory for "Unmodified freeware Cave Story Directory," and "Directory of the mod you wish to port."
Oh haha, that's definitely a problem. For the "Unmodified freeware Cave Story Directory", what you're supposed to select is a copy of the original freeware version of Cave Story that has not been modded at all. However, you were correct to select your mod for the "Directory of the mod you wish to port". The reason it needs these two things is because the program needs to reference what the game files look like in their un-modded form. It then checks this against the files in your mod, and auto-imports any files in your mod that are either added, or changed from the original Cave Story.

May 11, 2020 at 4:04 AM
Based Member
Well, that's really weird. I guess the best quick and dirty solution then would be to copy the "Pens1.pxm" file from your mod's stage folder, and paste it into your port's stage folder. I think there was something weird that I may have done during one of the last releases in 2015 that broke a bunch of stuff, but unfortunately I haven't been good about setting aside the time to fix this stuff. Sorry about that.

Aug 11, 2021 at 12:15 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
So, downloaded the porter and the 4endings mod, but I'm having trouble getting the porter to work(I can't get it to run and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong). I'm playing Cave Story + off steam, can anyone perhaps help me with this? Sorry if this is a redundant question.

Aug 11, 2021 at 12:36 AM
Based Member
You're saying that Plus Porter itself won't run? Is there some error message you're getting? What OS are you running, and do you have Java installed?

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2021 at 4:28 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I can't get porter to run, I have the latest java, I use window10. I tried manually putting the mod in and I got 4 endings to run but once it cuts to Kazuma not all the assets are loaded in, like a black background, no Kazuma, and just the chair desk and computer are loaded in. Same with once I get to the Mimiga village.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2021 at 2:21 PM
Based Member
Unfortunately, manually installing the mod won't work, since it involves 2X res graphics, so Plus Porter is needed to fill in those blacked out spots.

Can you provide more details on what happens when you try to run Plus Porter? Do you get an error message? Or does simply nothing happen?

Aug 11, 2021 at 9:22 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Basically I just get a pop up window that says unable to launch application. I added a screen snip if that helps.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 4
Aug 11, 2021 at 11:58 PM
Based Member
That's interesting, I've never seen that before. Can you click on the "Details" button, and either send a screenshot or paste the details here?

Aug 12, 2021 at 12:18 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
sure, though it gives a lot of info so I may need to sen more than one screenshot. Here's what immediately pops up though

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 5
Aug 12, 2021 at 12:31 AM
Based Member
It would probably be best to paste the actual text if it's that long. you can use the "[CODE][/CODE]" BB Code tag, and if it's still large, you can put it in a "[SPOILER][/SPOILER]" tag, so that it will look like this:
Code:
wall of text

Aug 12, 2021 at 12:42 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
ok. do you want what it says for all of it? launch file, exception, and wrapped exception?

I couldn't copy anything off the launch file detail report, this is the exception report.
Code:
JNLParseException[ Could not parse launch file. Error at line 1.]
    at com.sun.javaws.jnl.XMLFormat.parse(Unknown Source)
    at com.sun.javaws.jnl.LaunchDescFactory.buildDescriptor(Unknown Source)
    at com.sun.javaws.jnl.LaunchDescFactory.buildDescriptor(Unknown Source)
    at com.sun.javaws.Main.launchApp(Unknown Source)
    at com.sun.javaws.Main.continueInSecureThread(Unknown Source)
    at com.sun.javaws.Main.access$000(Unknown Source)
    at com.sun.javaws.Main$1.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: org.xml.sax.SAXParseException; lineNumber: 1; columnNumber: 1; Content is not allowed in prolog.
    at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.util.ErrorHandlerWrapper.createSAXParseException(Unknown Source)
    at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.util.ErrorHandlerWrapper.fatalError(Unknown Source)
    at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLErrorReporter.reportError(Unknown Source)
    at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLErrorReporter.reportError(Unknown Source)
    at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLScanner.reportFatalError(Unknown Source)
    at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentScannerImpl$PrologDriver.next(Unknown Source)
    at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentScannerImpl.next(Unknown Source)
    at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanDocument(Unknown Source)
    at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(Unknown Source)
    at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(Unknown Source)
    at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XMLParser.parse(Unknown Source)
    at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.parse(Unknown Source)
    at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.jaxp.SAXParserImpl$JAXPSAXParser.parse(Unknown Source)
    at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.jaxp.SAXParserImpl.parse(Unknown Source)
    at com.sun.deploy.xml.XMLParser.parse(Unknown Source)
    at com.sun.deploy.xml.XMLParser.parse(Unknown Source)
    ... 8 more

Aug 12, 2021 at 1:03 AM
Based Member
Hm, that doesn't look like it's a problem with the Plus Porter source code, but I have a few ideas for what might be going on. For one, it might be your Java installation. My first suggestion is to make sure your Java is up to date, and maybe even consider reinstalling Java.

The other possibility is that the launcher wrapper for Plus Porter is not working. In version 0.7.1.1, I started using Launch4j to wrap the jar file in an EXE, and then I stopped doing this in version 1.1.0.0. What version are you running? If you're using 1.1.0.0 or later, I'd suggest trying 1.0.5.1 (the previous versions can be downloaded from the OP). If you were using 1.0.5.1 or earlier, I'd suggest trying a later version, since it launches differently.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2021 at 1:48 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I'm using Plus Porter 1.1.0.1, so I should try an earlier version?

as for my java, it's the most up to date one.

Aug 12, 2021 at 1:51 AM
Based Member
Okay then, try version 1.0.5.1, since that was still using the Launch4j wrapper, and it also had some debugging messages. Can't guarantee that it will work, but it's worth a try.

Aug 12, 2021 at 2:02 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
oh wow, it worked. only issue I have now is i can't see the bottom of it, but it works!

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 6
Aug 12, 2021 at 2:31 AM
Based Member
Great! Glad that it's working!

Also haha yeah, the way I did the window sizing and UI components for that was not very good practice. It was specifically tailored to the window sizing for Windows 7, and didn't account for the way it would end up looking when future operating systems would come out. The bottom gets cut off a bit on my Windows 10 machine as well.