Plus Porter (1.1.0.1)

Nov 19, 2014 at 5:56 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
HaydenStudios said:
Okay. My guess is that some exception is being thrown. I've made a slightly debugged unofficial release to try to figure out what's going wrong:

https://www.mediafire.com/?j00qfdg4dh26x3d

Try this version and try once again to use the "open" feature, and tell me if an error message pops up. If so, then please post a screenshot so that I know what kind of error we're dealing with.
So again there is no pop-up what-so-ever D:

I just tried it with v8u25 and it's still not working.

Nov 19, 2014 at 1:10 PM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
All right then. Browse to C:\Users\Your username, and paste the Plus Porter exe, the readme file, and the prefs.ini file into it. It shouldn't matter whether you do this with the official first beta or the slightly modified version I gave you.

Click the start button, type "cmd" in the text field, and press enter. A command window should pop up. Type "java -jar PlusPorter.exe", press enter, and then you should see the program's output in the command window as you run Plus Porter. Try once again to use the "open" feature, and tell me if anything pops up in the command window. If so, then please tell me exactly what it says.

Nov 20, 2014 at 12:51 AM
Based Member
That's really weird. That wasn't supposed to fix it, it was just supposed to help me figure out why it wasn't working. If you try it again without the command line, does it still work? I'm interested in knowing if it just started working for some reason or if you running it through the command line fixed it.

Nov 20, 2014 at 1:22 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
I like how he conveniently covered up the console window
maybe his java isn't set up right somehow

Nov 20, 2014 at 5:41 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
HaydenStudios said:
That's really weird. That wasn't supposed to fix it, it was just supposed to help me figure out why it wasn't working. If you try it again without the command line, does it still work? I'm interested in knowing if it just started working for some reason or if you running it through the command line fixed it.
So
gallery_7083_148_7573.png
This time it worked without the console. That strange endeed.
Edit: Without the console the browse buttons don't work again.
Noxid said:
I like how he conveniently covered up the console window
maybe his java isn't set up right somehow
If you can help me how to check/fix it i'll be thankfull.

Nov 20, 2014 at 11:11 AM
Based Member
alfasketer said:
Edit: Without the console the browse buttons don't work again.
Can you try once again with the console window open and see if you can find a browse button that won't work and try to show me what pops up in the console window when you try to click the browse button?

Nov 20, 2014 at 7:19 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
HaydenStudios said:
Can you try once again with the console window open and see if you can find a browse button that won't work and try to show me what pops up in the console window when you try to click the browse button?
Again using the program with cmd make all the browse buttons work as they should.
gallery_7083_148_90465.png
gallery_7083_148_177272.png

Nov 20, 2014 at 7:46 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Just installed the new release today and wanted to test it out... But ran into the nothing happens when attempting to save issue.

Attempting to save or save as, gives me this info in 1.0.0.1 with the console up.
Windows 7 Home x64, admin, java 8 update 25
Code:
Gathering generic exe data
Gathering resources from exe
Searching for different image data
Replacing Stage folder files
Looking for C:\Users\Christopher\Desktop\Desktop Anew\Cave Story NewGame+\dDoukutsu.exe
Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: -1
        at java.lang.String.substring(Unknown Source)
        at PlusPorter.SaveData(PlusPorter.java:1536)
        at PlusPorter.actionPerformed(PlusPorter.java:5934)
        at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
        at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
        at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
        at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(Unknown Source)
        at javax.swing.AbstractButton.doClick(Unknown Source)
        at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI.doClick(Unknown Source)
        at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI$Handler.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
        at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventQueue.access$400(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
        at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
        at java.security.ProtectionDomain$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

Nov 20, 2014 at 10:35 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
HaydenStudios said:
Okay. My guess is that some exception is being thrown. I've made a slightly debugged unofficial release to try to figure out what's going wrong:

https://www.mediafire.com/?j00qfdg4dh26x3d

Try this version and try once again to use the "open" feature, and tell me if an error message pops up. If so, then please post a screenshot so that I know what kind of error we're dealing with.
ill try out this version when i get the chance. also, i was able to at least port the mod jenkas nightmare the other night, but then again plus porter has its limits. the only 95 maps limit i assume, this mod had 125 maps with the first map having a null value, so i wouldn't be able to play the port. with so much going on with this mod, it just brought a shitstorm when i returned to the title screen.

Nov 21, 2014 at 12:27 AM
Based Member
Attempting to save or save as, gives me this info in 1.0.0.1 with the console up.
Windows 7 Home x64, admin, java 8 update 25
Code:
Gathering generic exe data
Gathering resources from exe
Searching for different image data
Replacing Stage folder files
Looking for C:\Users\Christopher\Desktop\Desktop Anew\Cave Story NewGame+\dDoukutsu.exe
Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: -1
        at java.lang.String.substring(Unknown Source)
        at PlusPorter.SaveData(PlusPorter.java:1536)
        at PlusPorter.actionPerformed(PlusPorter.java:5934)
        at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
        at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
        at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
        at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(Unknown Source)
        at javax.swing.AbstractButton.doClick(Unknown Source)
        at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI.doClick(Unknown Source)
        at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI$Handler.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
        at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventQueue.access$400(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)
Ah, excellent! I've figured out what the problem is, and have a new official release with that glitch in particular fixed: Plus Porter v1.0.0.1

I couldn't figure out what the issue was with the "Open" and "browse" buttons though... It would be great if someone could tell me what the console window says when that error occurs.

also, i was able to at least port the mod jenkas nightmare the other night, but then again plus porter has its limits. the only 95 maps limit i assume, this mod had 125 maps with the first map having a null value, so i wouldn't be able to play the port.
While some mods have more than 95 maps, I doubt you'll ever find one that needs them all. If I've heard correctly, Booster's Lab helps you delete unnecessary maps and automatically adjusts all of the <TRAs for you.

Nov 21, 2014 at 10:22 PM
Indie game enthusiast
Nice! It worked! I was able to load up an old mod, and was playing it in CS+ in a minute.
The only thing that didn't seem to autoport over was head.tsc, but after manually selecting it, it was perfect.

Nov 22, 2014 at 12:45 AM
Based Member
X-Calibar said:
Nice! It worked! I was able to load up an old mod, and was playing it in CS+ in a minute.
The only thing that didn't seem to autoport over was head.tsc, but after manually selecting it, it was perfect.
Great! Glad it's working for you. I'll have to look into the "head.tsc" not getting properly added to the files to replace. What mod was it that you ported? Is there any chance you'd be willing to share your port with us? You can't imagine how much joy it would bring to me to see something that was ported with my program by someone else.

Nov 22, 2014 at 9:31 AM
Indie game enthusiast
HaydenStudios said:
Great! Glad it's working for you. I'll have to look into the "head.tsc" not getting properly added to the files to replace. What mod was it that you ported? Is there any chance you'd be willing to share your port with us? You can't imagine how much joy it would bring to me to see something that was ported with my program by someone else.
:)
Well Hayden, this mod...demo, isn't much to see. Something I did way back to learn TSC:
http://www.host-a.net/u/X-Calibar/NewGamePlusDemo.zip
Changes end at egg corridor. NewGame+ I called it xD That was before Cave Story+ appeared... It is neat seeing it in CS+ though. Makes me want to edit more.

Next I tried to port over Curly Story (I think it doesn't have any hacks...), but because it has more than 95 maps, I think I have to do a little more to get it running... I tried just deleting unused maps in Booster's Lab, but looks like I need to adjust the start map, etc. Should be easy? But I'm running into trouble and it's late...

Nov 22, 2014 at 6:54 PM
Based Member
Ah yes, I remember reading about that mod on your blog a long time ago. Interesting little demo. I especially liked Mahin getting angry if you break the pot near him. It was really cool playing a port someone else used Plus Porter to make.

Also yeah, all CS+ mods by default start you out in room 13 running event 200. This isn't a big deal though, since all you have to do is put a <TRA at the beginning of it to transition you to where the mod is supposed to start. I suppose I could add an option in the auto-port wizard that lets you tell it to automatically do this for you... That would probably be useful.

Dec 6, 2014 at 11:14 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
If event 200 is already in use you'll probably need to <FLJ to that original event (which will be stored in another event number), then set the relevant flag (so that <FLJ fires the next time you use that event), and then fire the <TRA. This ensures that the starter <TRA will fire with the first use of that event, and the original event will fire with subsequent uses.

<FLJXXXX:VVVV<FL+XXXX<TRAWWWW:0200:YYYY:ZZZZ

#VVVV
(original event 200)

This means that you need to determine a flag number that isn't used by the system and determine an event number that isn't used by map 13 or head.tsc.

I mean if event 200 doesn't exist on that map then things are real simple (just a new event with a <TRA), and if default values are used then nothing needs to be done at all, but if it is in use already then things start to get a little more complex, and you will find plenty of use cases to justify that complexity. But if you can get the details right then you should be able to do this automatically without any user input.

Dec 7, 2014 at 4:17 PM
Based Member
That is a very good point, I didn't think of that. Thanks for pointing that out, I'll make sure that's properly handled when I implement this feature.

Dec 20, 2014 at 5:02 AM
Based Member
Okay everybody, the next version of Plus Porter is out. You may either download it from the original post, or here: Plus Porter v1.0.2.0

Changes:
-Made the graphics filtering wizard not skip over casts.bmp if that's the image being replaced
-Made the auto-port wizard properly replace global scripts
-Fixed the glitch where the auto-port wizard would get the numbers of credit art illustrations wrong past 12.
-Made the map title to the "Studio Pixel Presents" map default to "Studio Pixel" if it's set to "u" when loading mapdata from a freeware exe
-Made it so that custom Face.bmp images are properly handled if the user chooses to leave the non-replaced slots blank to save space.
-Made the map scrolltype and special boss id be included in the stage.tbl file, which fixed numerous problems previously present in some ports generated by Plus Porter.
-Modified the applying process to properly handle custom items.

Additionally, as has long been promised, here is a new port to demonstrate some of the capabilities found newly in this version:

Cave Story with a fourth ending

Yep. Many of you have been asking for it, now it's finally here. Cave Story with a fourth ending is now playable on Cave Story+ with the click of a button. Please consider trying out this mod, trying Plus porter, and trying to use it to port your own mods! Any feedback you have would be greatly appreciated.

Dec 20, 2014 at 8:37 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Should the word "beta" still be in the thread name given the version number?

Dec 20, 2014 at 11:59 PM
Based Member
andwhyisit said:
Should the word "beta" still be in the thread name given the version number?
This program hasn't quite been tested enough for me to officially declare it out of beta stage, but indeed my version number does not follow the version numbering conventions associated with beta phase. This is a mistake of mine that I will allow to live on until it's out of beta stage, and try not to make in my future projects.