Phobias

Jun 15, 2011 at 12:11 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Phronemophobia

cultr1 said:
So you don't really fear the dark so much as what the dark hides.
So you're are afraid of your fear.
That's an easier phobia to fix, fortunately.
Fear of the unknown is one of the most basic fears in humans, really, practically in our instincts. A lot of behaviors can be explained by pointing at it. {Racism, Religion, Paranormal, etc}
Also, there is a fear about fearing.
Phobophobia, fear of phobias. God, that's got to be the worst feedback loop ever....

I've got the basic fear of grounds, and a little bit of insects as well. I won't jump or be afraid at just seeing them, it's when there's physical contact that I just get the unconscious, instant reaction to violently flail the touched limb. I guess I just can't stand them being on me, though I'd chalk that up to my childhood, where literally any bug I played with would bite me, so perhaps it's a little more rational.

Also, if anyone's interested in looking it up, you can find the -phobia of your fear here, as well as laugh at some of the more obscured ones.

Jun 15, 2011 at 12:27 AM
Been here way too long...
Re: Phronemophobia

VoidMage_Lowell said:
I've got the basic fear of grounds

Walking must be a nightmare for you.

Jun 15, 2011 at 12:36 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Sometimes it is.

Captain Fabulous said:
Walking must be a nightmare for you.
It's actually only scary the further away you get from it.
Up close it's fine, but when you're a couple dozen feet away....

Jun 15, 2011 at 12:48 AM
Re: Sometimes it is.

Why, being far away from the ground is harmless. Approaching it at high speeds is dicey.

Jun 15, 2011 at 12:51 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
It's too solid.

Captain Fabulous said:
Why, being far away from the ground is harmless. Approaching it at high speeds is dicey.
True, but that's why you'd be afraid of being far from it.

Jun 15, 2011 at 1:07 AM
Demon taming, headphone wearing, casanova
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Well the closest i could find so far is achluophobia.

Jun 15, 2011 at 1:53 AM
Re: Phronemophobia

VoidMage_Lowell said:
I've got the basic fear of grounds.
Pratchett reference or attempt at wittiness?

Jun 15, 2011 at 2:13 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
And the critical criticizing.

Lace said:
Pratchett reference or attempt at wittiness?
Uh, both?

Jun 15, 2011 at 4:42 AM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Marx said:
Would being afraid of the dark count as a phobia. Because like wd im afraid some random killer, beast, ghost anything will pop up and kill me.

Not so much random killers...but I guess that is something to fear more than ghosts lol.

Oh yeah. To some degree I'm HYDROPHOBIC too. I cannot go in the deep end of a pool or swan dive off a diving board. Nor can I swim in the ocean. I am an awful swimmer. Once I swam in my friend's lake and I flipped a shit..so I had to wear a life jacket in the water. Haha..ha. v.v

Again, more irony, water pokemon and aquatic things are my favorite.

Jun 15, 2011 at 4:46 AM
daughter of chivalry
Whatever. It's a common misconception.

Jun 15, 2011 at 5:16 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
I am afraid of the dark only when I'm tired enough to believe that Uboa will appear if I turn out the lights.
My other fears are slowly going insane, and hallucinating. Imagine a bad trip. Being in a world made entirely of your worst nightmares? Ergh... Mother 3 didn't help either.

Jun 15, 2011 at 7:37 AM
Assistance
I have Cnidophobia. I fucking hate anything with stingers. Wasps, Bees, Yellow Jackets, Hornets, you name it. Just the look of most insects just disgust me, it makes me want to vomit and scream.

Angrophobia is next in line. I get really feverish and horrified when someone screams at me, or when it's nothing but spawntanious anger. I don't even like it when I get angry, and in fact, it scares me. Everytime I trigger to aggression, tears flow out. Sometimes when I accidentally set myself up on caps lock, and begin typing, I usually count it as "yelling letters", and just seeing them strikes me, and scares the shit out of me.

Cynophobia of extremely large dogs. Especially in dark rooms. I hate them, with a passion.

Jun 15, 2011 at 8:12 AM
Well that's new. I've learned a lot about phobias in the last 24 hours, and the new ones have been quite interesting. Still no word on small holes, though. That one befuddles me.

I also have cnidophobia it seems, although I thought that was a normal thing. I'm not allergic to stings and I rarely ever get stung, but god damn it do I ever hate wasps. Those guys are complete assholes. Bees aren't as bad, because they won't sting you unless you start some shit with them, and they pollinate flowers and are kind of cute.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 15, 2011 at 9:06 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Captain Fabulous said:
Christ, you can get millipedes in your house? Can we just evactuate Australia and nuke it from orbit?
Never said anything about in the house, closest they usually get to that is appearing dead in a door gutter. Don't go confusing them with centipedes, now :critter:

WD said:
Do you have any fear of all the dangerous little critters and monsters in your wondrous Aussie world? Or are you used to it?
There aren't really that many horrible or numerous creepy things where I live. The worst places for that are the ones near the equator. I don't know how the hell people live there without getting 10 different diseases that make your body eat itself :confused:

Reading the thread has given me ideas about what else I could mention but I'm too tired to thinking right now.

Jun 15, 2011 at 10:03 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Captain Fabulous said:
I also have cnidophobia it seems, although I thought that was a normal thing.
Yeah. My mom's friend is afraid of ANYTHING with a stinger. She's allergic to bee stings, and she doesn't take the time to try to tell apart, so she'll freak at any stinged creature she sees.
Captain Fabulous said:
Bees aren't as bad, because they won't sting you unless you start some shit with them, and they pollinate flowers and are kind of cute.
Huh... I remember a bees' nest outside of my house once. My friend literally just WALKED by them and they started chasing her. She ran and ran, it was FREAKING HILARIOUS! But I remember her kicking me in the 'nads after I laughed at her. Man, did that HURT! She was wearing STEEL TOES.

Hey, what is it called when you're scared of loud noises?

Jun 15, 2011 at 10:34 AM
daughter of chivalry
Ryuuoutan, is THAT you? o.o

Jun 15, 2011 at 10:50 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
WD said:
Ryuuoutan, is THAT you? o.o

What? NO! It's me, QXC! You don't remember me from, like, half a year ago? Being a lot more childish? And idiotic?

Jun 15, 2011 at 12:03 PM
Assistance
QuoteXCurly said:
What? NO! It's me, QXC! You don't remember me from, like, half a year ago? Being the same childish annoyance since 2010? I was known to be quite idiotic, and I still am?

Take your pony stuff and GET OUTTA TOWN

EDIT: User was warned for this post, since we don't have infractions.

Jun 15, 2011 at 12:14 PM
Demon taming, headphone wearing, casanova
Ryuuoutan? who is she?