Phobias

Jun 14, 2011 at 5:09 PM
http://imgur.com/EuvCtsQ
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
haha cultr I used to be like that all the time until one day I just went downstairs in the pitch black, being unable to see anything, and just sort of got over it

noxid I can totally empathize all of your fears save for the one about public transit since the first time I went on a bus it was with a few friends and I've been cool with it ever since

also this nagging fear of things I haven't tried at least once
like most things, if I haven't done them, I always approach really shakily
for instance going on a bus

except parasailing which I tried once and it was really fucking fun
I have like an anti-fear of heights

Jun 14, 2011 at 5:11 PM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Jealous >: i've always wanted to go parasailing.
Yeah heights have never been a problem for me. I remember when I was younger going to the top balcony of the Empire State Building and looking over the edge. The adrenaline rush made me laugh.

Jun 14, 2011 at 5:20 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
I don't have this but,
Hippotomonstrosisquipedaliophobia
Fear of big words. :D
I have a fear of heights. ^^

Jun 14, 2011 at 5:41 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
At least I can recognize it as being something irrational. I'm trying to open up a bit more but it really is kind of hard for me D:

My parents/grandparents never miss an opportunity to remind me that I have to be the best and I'm the only child that hasn't been a complete and utter disappointment. I know they mean well but their sort of passive-aggressive "encouragement" has made me really insecure.

Jun 14, 2011 at 5:47 PM
Been here way too long...
cultr1 said:
Brown Recluse
There isn't a brown recluse within 1000 kilometers of me and that name still forces my testicles to retreat to higher ground.

Jun 14, 2011 at 6:22 PM
And they jump, too.
Far.

I almost forgot about Hobo Spiders!
How silly of me.

From the article:
"The spider's venom is strong enough to cause considerable local pain and, purportedly, necrosis."
Necrosis.
If the bite you, it causes Necrosis.
Sign me up.
The article goes easy on them too, those fuckers will bite you if they're within 15 feet of you.
Just the picture on Wikipedia sent me into Cardiac Arrest

Jun 14, 2011 at 8:14 PM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
I only have fear of dogs. I`d rather let 100 spiders crawling on me (from which I don`t have a fear) than being locked up with a dog without a leash.
Also I don`t have fear of ghosts at all. If one would appear I`d attack it. Even when I was younger and saw some weird shadows I went there to kick "the ghosts" airy *** ...

Jun 14, 2011 at 8:57 PM
Do you have anatidaephobia, WD?

Jun 14, 2011 at 9:02 PM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Ducks are crafty little fuckers. (I had to look that one up, obviously)

Another addition to the ghost thing, I sometimes feared that somewhere, a spirit would be able to sense my intense fear and thus they would be more likely to haunt me to get entertainment out of it. Yeah..that sorta stopped though.

Jun 14, 2011 at 9:23 PM
You know, if you were being haunted by a ghost, you could probably have conversations with it. Might be better than talking to yourself. Unless it was some kind of dickhole ghost, whose unfinished business is "being an anus" and all it did was go "OOOOOoooOOOO I'MMA SCARY GHOST HOLY SHIIIIIT."
Like, once you got over the initial shock of being haunted, maybe you could ask this spirit to leave and find something better to do, since trying to scare your ass isn't going to solve anything. Or, or, maybe it could just take some coffee breaks from being spooky and you could have conversations about the afterlife and shit, because that would be pretty groundbreaking.
Well yeah, if you told anyone they'd think that you're crazy, but at least you would know.

Jun 14, 2011 at 9:30 PM
Jun 14, 2011 at 9:34 PM
Member Title
"All your forum are belong to us!"
I used to have a bit of acrophobia (a fear of large being at large heights), but I believe I've outgrown it. Instead of acrophobia, I actually think it was vertigo. Vertigo is the feeling that when you look off a ledge/edge, you're being sucked down to the ground. In severe cases people have actually fallen off ledges due to it.

Jun 14, 2011 at 9:44 PM
Demon taming, headphone wearing, casanova
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Would being afraid of the dark count as a phobia. Because like wd im afraid some random killer, beast, ghost anything will pop up and kill me.

Jun 14, 2011 at 9:55 PM
So you don't really fear the dark so much as what the dark hides.
So you're are afraid of your fear.
That's an easier phobia to fix, fortunately.

Jun 14, 2011 at 10:58 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
For the longest time I wouldn't go down the tallest slide at the waterpark since it was practically a straight drop down and that scared the shit out of me. Eventually I did, and it was pretty fun. I'd still think twice about going down it again, but I probably would go down a second time if asked to.

I also used to fear that loud noise that played at the end of the show "Who want to be a millionaire?", and same for alarm clocks.

Jun 14, 2011 at 11:10 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
I have no phobias! Although there are tons of things I avoid if possible : Putting my hand in garbage disposals, eating glass chips, drinking bleach, getting run over, having a tree fall on my head, losing limbs to table saws, getting drilled in the eye, watching something bad happen in front of you and not reacting fast enough to help, being eaten slowly, being buried alive, exploding packages, not surviving lightning strikes, losing friends/family, getting arrested, falling off a tall building, being tortured to death, deadly bacteria/viruses/diseases, falling into a sickly gross compost or eating it, being hung, poisoned, and dealing with people
Not afraid of any of those things, but I try to avoid anything that will result in injury or death. If I know ahead of time that it's something people deal with without said problems, then it should work out fine.

Jun 14, 2011 at 11:14 PM
Cave Story said:
I used to have a bit of acrophobia (a fear of large being at large heights), but I believe I've outgrown it. Instead of acrophobia, I actually think it was vertigo. Vertigo is the feeling that when you look off a ledge/edge, you're being sucked down to the ground. In severe cases people have actually fallen off ledges due to it.
Yeah, I have that. It always feels like it would be much easier to fall off something high as opposed to something low.
Marx said:
Would being afraid of the dark count as a phobia. Because like wd im afraid some random killer, beast, ghost anything will pop up and kill me.

First of all, how could a ghost kill you, they are incorporeal.
Second, the dark is a lot like the light, only with less photons. So a killer, beast or ghost could murder you in the light, too.

Jun 14, 2011 at 11:21 PM
Captain Fabulous said:
So a killer, beast or ghost could murder you in the light, too.

Yeah but you can see them coming, unlike in the dark.

Jun 14, 2011 at 11:45 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
I have a slightly-less-than-average case of arachnophobia (not so much to where I'll scream if I see one, in fact, I'm the ONLY one in my family who'll have the guts to pick up a shoe and splatter it).
I also have a deathly fear of heights. I won't jump off a diving board if I TRIED.
And I STILL get scared every time I flush a LOUD toilet.

Jun 14, 2011 at 11:50 PM
cultr1 said:
Yeah but you can see them coming, unlike in the dark.
Bitch, eat carrots.