Phil Fish Leaves The Game Industry

Jul 28, 2013 at 2:00 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Yesterday a large fight broke out between Phil Fish and the Annoyed Gamer on twitter, I'm not to sure what started the fight. Anyway, this fight led to Phil announcing that FEZ II is cancelled and he can no longer handle all the stress and hate he receives, he then made a post about it on his blog, put his twitter account into protected mode and later announced his departure from the games industry. Here are the things he said:

"im done. FEZ II is canceled. goodbye." - @PHIL_FISH

"FEZ II is cancelled.
i am done.
i take the money and i run.
this is as much as i can stomach.
this is isn’t the result of any one thing, but the end of a long, bloody campaign.
you win." - PolytronCorporation Website

"to be clear, im not cancelling FEZ II because some boorish fuck said something stupid, im doing it to get out of games. and im getting out of games because i choose not to put up with this abuse anymore." - @PHIL_FISH

Overall, what are your thoughts on this, if you even care? Do you think Phil is overreacting?

Jul 28, 2013 at 4:01 PM
Banned
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Phil ragequit because of arguments on the internet. Do we win?

Jul 28, 2013 at 5:12 PM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
God Damn I loved his game but the guy needs to grow the Fuck up and probably stop saying Shit to provoke people or to turn a snide content into an argument. Alot of the abuse he gets he practically begs for by baiting trolls with some stupid shit he's said to be contrary or overly blunt. Its been this way for some time now too so I'm not just talking out my ass about it.

Don't start something big if you don't have the skin to handle some jerks, or the common sense to leave them alone.

Jul 28, 2013 at 5:30 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
FEZ II is cancelled? I was going to get ready for that, sure the first one took a real long time but he cant just quit right away, hopefully he be back in the gaming industry by who knows when now because this IS the Phil Fish, he's got to come back... right? :confused:

Jul 28, 2013 at 9:32 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Mr.Mold said:
FEZ II is cancelled? I was going to get ready for that, sure the first one took a real long time but he cant just quit right away, hopefully he be back in the gaming industry by who knows when now because this IS the Phil Fish, he's got to come back... right? :confused:
This is the guy whose public demo was broken. You could get stuck before the game even loaded!

Jul 29, 2013 at 3:13 AM
meep
"All your forum are belong to us!"
I think Phil Phish is insane and he's totally overreacting, but I'm also certainly not going to object to him leaving the industry.

Jul 29, 2013 at 3:57 PM
Little Bitch in Sheep Clothing
"..."
Isn't it depressing how brilliant game developers tend to be antisocial little shits?

Jul 29, 2013 at 4:37 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Moon said:
Isn't it depressing how brilliant game developers tend to be antisocial little shits?
no.
i'll get on with my life.

Jul 29, 2013 at 6:23 PM
THE suus
"Keep on rollin'!"
honestly i expected this to happen. he HAS gotten a massive have wave towards him due to fans taking his posts on the pc version of FEZ as him being an asshole.

Jul 29, 2013 at 8:37 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
I haven't followed this at all, but...

Today's media is a hurtful machine. One wrong viral comment and you end up the latest fashionable pinata. Everyone gets a turn until something happens.
Looked at some comments he made a while ago, and felt people's reactions are just wonky.... whatever that means.

Anyway, FEZ was a really nice puzzle platformer. Would be pretty disappointing if perhaps his best work was yet to come, and we'd never see it.

Jul 29, 2013 at 9:20 PM
"Huzzah!"
I don't care for the guy as a person, but he has skill to make a game worth playing (FEZ will be worth it to me when it get's to 75% off on Steam). If a game dev is a douche or something but he/she is making a good game, ignore them and look at their game. You don't need to praise them as a person, but you can always recognize their skill and the game. A stupidly wise man twice said, "It's all about the game."

Of course, if the person is like Pixel, then you get the joy of liking both the person and the game (unless you don't like Pixel as a person.. to each their own). The best thing I think one can do on the internetz is to not let the negative affect you, but take the good there is and enjoy and share it. The internetz will always have trolls and hate, and there is no game I know of that everyone likes. It seems like there are always people who want to say the worst they can think of about a game and/or it's developer(s).

I don't really care too much about FEZ, so not having a FEZ II isn't really a disappointment. There are so many other great games out there, and I can't play them all anyway. So I move on.

Jul 29, 2013 at 10:20 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I do think he is overreacting with canceling FEZ II. I did enjoy FEZ and its many puzzles, I 100% [209.4% as the game says] today.

Although I think he is overreacting with canceling it. I can see why he is doing it, in Indie Game: The Movie, he seemed to be an okay guy, he did have a mouth. But over developing FEZ for so many years, he got lots and lots of hate and abuse from people who just wanted the game. At some point I think he got fed up and started doing things that really got to people, such as saying the game industry sucks, and forever labeling him as a douchyhipster. He didn't pick the right thing to do, but I'm sure all the hate he got from all the people is the reason why he did it.

The guy he got mad at, meat or whatever his name was I cannot remember. He didn't really need to insult him, I don't know much about that podcast, but it seemed pretty much he was like "Alright I'm going to rant about how I feel" And although he was just one person, Phil did have loads of people hating on him and saying a lot of things just like he did.

I'm not really disappointing that there isn't going to be a FEZ II, and I still do have hope that there will be.