Jan 11, 2017 at 2:23 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."

A surreal puzzle adventure game with unique mechanics / capabilities.

You are to guide a child through a mysterious world on a mission to restore its long-dead sun.

...Of course, things are never that simple.

The world knows you exist.

The consequences are real.

Saving the world may be impossible.

You only have one shot.

So this is a game that Nightmargin, Eliza, and myself have been working on for a while now. It was originally released in 2014 as a freeware title, but has since been expanded and remade for a Steam release! (you can still download the freeware version from where it was being hosted before).

Steam page is here: http://store.steampowered.com/app/420530

Screenshots:
p356978-1-ss8a8639313a9cfc5d39e17fad5fe4b819379f1101.jpg

p356978-2-ssbd78bc0a36c215cf4b0b53c4963bd119f58ab25c.jpg

p356978-3-ss5d03428de28dd03845a9adb5566ba29431eba0f5.jpg

p356978-4-ss5632681456db78d0e33c252c59d39c18ff35262e.jpg

p356978-5-ss4cd68ad57c310de7d0d822d2cf89a61568bc2139.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2017 at 3:15 AM
Soup Man
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
s o l s t i c e? Those were the bold letters... Uh IDK why I noticed that. I'll go ahead and leave now...

Jan 11, 2017 at 12:13 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Is there a non-steam version? I must admit, I'm interested in playing this.

And why are you called Team Oneshot instead of AxeBunny Studios? Consistency guys. C'mon.

Jan 11, 2017 at 12:57 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator

And why are you called Team Oneshot instead of AxeBunny Studios? Consistency guys. C'mon.

Gir wasn't originally involved with OneShot at all, there was a different developer (so a different team)
but life, uh, finds a way.

Jan 11, 2017 at 1:39 PM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
I played the original free version and while I haven't been able to try the new version, I have to say, this is a beautiful game worth playing. Please try it.

Jan 11, 2017 at 3:04 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator

Currently we only have the Steam version, but we might look into a DRM-free distributor a bit later.

(and Noxid answered the question about the team name about as well as I would've been able to)

Jan 15, 2017 at 10:38 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
I'm still playing but definitely a good game so far. If you can live without explosive action, and can thrive on building character bonds and the discovery of revealing a curious new world... Then I recommend it ;)

Quick review:
Music: Glitter Glue (Provides perfect, beautiful cohesion, but may not be everyone's cup of tea)
Characters: Light Bulb (That which shines upon everything, making everything better)
Mapping: Pen (Clearly drawn out; that's good...)
Artwork: Pancake (The best kind of cake)
Puzzles: Lens (A shining example of creativity, but reveals imperfections)
Story: Book (I bet the Author wrote this mystery, because it's strangely compelling)
Battles: <No Item> (Nope)

Conclusion: I made the right choice. (Buying the game of course!)

... Though I shouldn't be reviewing, since I have not reached the "end" of content.
I'm still enjoying guiding dear Niko through the world.

SPOILERS AHEAD
I'm on take 2 currently. Finished the game with only one technical issue. Though it was somewhat fitting lol.
My Windows 10 x64 pro PC has basically never outright BSODed with this install, over many months, with many programs. But... One Shot managed to BSOD the system lol.

While this is kind of a problem! The timing couldn't have been better.
I had reached the end of my journey... waited a bit, and wanted to return once more. But, in order to do so, I had to delete the save. (Or in my case I just renamed it, might have kept the oneshot extension?) After renaming it (attempting to erase my previous choice) and loading the game, the system immediately BSODed. Talk about Karma. ;)

Things worked normally after reboot. Don't remember what it said, but I think it was video related. Can't find any specifics in the event viewer... I did have "the other program" running at the time of the crash, and I was running OBS the entire time to play the game zoomed in but not full screen, since it was recommended to play windowed. (It's a bit too small for comfort on higher resolutions, if not full screen.)

...First playthrough I chose the World. I wanted to shake things up in the second go around, but I'm having a hard time betraying my previous choices (and everyone's hopes). At this rate it'll be deja vu... Well eventually I'll break down and try everything... just because...?? :x

Though I *did* do a few things differently, for example:

p357015-0-201701150309341.jpg

That is such an understatement. I love his subdued reaction... though Niko should be floored or have sparkles in his eyes; that was a LOT of work...

EDIT:
Random stuff:

Played through most of the content I believe~ 4 times??
Saved the world the first two times, then saved Niko, and lastly saved the world again.
Tried almost everything to get into the mines, except going in with Silver, and leaving without being warned about "Safety Violation!" Need to try that ;)
Attempted to use Cheat Engine to figure out the 6 digit code without talking to the entity... gave up for now :x
... lol I could change text during the game to customize my responses to Niko now that I think about it xD
Anyway...

I am tempted to see what the entity might say if I don't pick up the remote... or pick up the remote without using it as an item if it's possible. (By figuring out the code.)

And I keep forgetting to not get the film from the entity and use the code. To see what it might say...

Attempting to break the light bulb early in the game... has quite a different meaning on subsequent play throughs D:
...on my first play through I was afraid to run when there were obstacles around. Imagined Niko tripping on debris... Didn't know if the game would be brutal by resetting if you messed up.

Oh and I was hoping to walk around the first building and avoid meeting Prophet Bot, since that would mean Niko would be on his own for a while... Making Silver the first person you meet would be a twist, or ignoring Silver and heading straight into the mines D: (If Niko would ignore the warning... which he won't lol)

Some of the obscure finds:
Photo booth fun xD Was ready to use the blinking pic lol.
Closing the game multiple times in succession, then feeling guilty x)
Talking to everyone for the first time while Alula tagged along~
Actually, just all of the little details really made the whole experience quite enjoyable.

Only ran into one text bug, haven't tried to repeat it yet...
When I returned to the room I found Alula in (with her still) it repeated a dialogue as if I was checking the squares before they disappeared. Odd, but not sure what triggered it. I walked around everywhere before returning.

As for my previous review...
+1 to the puzzles, I didn't realize the answer would be handed to me if I asked around, instead of trying to figure it out on my own. (The lens in particular (thought I could figure it out easily enough, but got stuck lol))

Can't wait for the Solstice...

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2017 at 11:19 PM
The "C" in "college" is for "crippling debt".
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
I've seen this game around a lot, I think some of the Let's Players I watch have done it. I might look in to getting it.

Jan 17, 2017 at 4:08 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
I'm still playing but definitely a good game so far. If you can live without explosive action, and can thrive on building character bonds and the discovery of revealing a curious new world... Then I recommend it ;)

Quick review:
Music: Glitter Glue (Provides perfect, beautiful cohesion, but may not be everyone's cup of tea)
Characters: Light Bulb (That which shines upon everything, making everything better)
Mapping: Pen (Clearly drawn out; that's good...)
Artwork: Pancake (The best kind of cake)
Puzzles: Lens (A shining example of creativity, but reveals imperfections)
Story: Book (I bet the Author wrote this mystery, because it's strangely compelling)
Battles: <No Item> (Nope)

Conclusion: I made the right choice. (Buying the game of course!)

... Though I shouldn't be reviewing, since I have not reached the "end" of content.
I'm still enjoying guiding dear Niko through the world.

SPOILERS AHEAD
I'm on take 2 currently. Finished the game with only one technical issue. Though it was somewhat fitting lol.
My Windows 10 x64 pro PC has basically never outright BSODed with this install, over many months, with many programs. But... One Shot managed to BSOD the system lol.

While this is kind of a problem! The timing couldn't have been better.
I had reached the end of my journey... waited a bit, and wanted to return once more. But, in order to do so, I had to delete the save. (Or in my case I just renamed it, might have kept the oneshot extension?) After renaming it (attempting to erase my previous choice) and loading the game, the system immediately BSODed. Talk about Karma. ;)

Things worked normally after reboot. Don't remember what it said, but I think it was video related. Can't find any specifics in the event viewer... I did have "the other program" running at the time of the crash, and I was running OBS the entire time to play the game zoomed in but not full screen, since it was recommended to play windowed. (It's a bit too small for comfort on higher resolutions, if not full screen.)

...First playthrough I chose the World. I wanted to shake things up in the second go around, but I'm having a hard time betraying my previous choices (and everyone's hopes). At this rate it'll be deja vu... Well eventually I'll break down and try everything... just because...?? :x

Though I *did* do a few things differently, for example:

p357015-0-201701150309341.jpg

That is such an understatement. I love his subdued reaction... though Niko should be floored or have sparkles in his eyes; that was a LOT of work...

EDIT:
Random stuff:

Played through most of the content I believe~ 4 times??
Saved the world the first two times, then saved Niko, and lastly saved the world again.
Tried almost everything to get into the mines, except going in with Silver, and leaving without being warned about "Safety Violation!" Need to try that ;)
Attempted to use Cheat Engine to figure out the 6 digit code without talking to the entity... gave up for now :x
... lol I could change text during the game to customize my responses to Niko now that I think about it xD
Anyway...

I am tempted to see what the entity might say if I don't pick up the remote... or pick up the remote without using it as an item if it's possible. (By figuring out the code.)

And I keep forgetting to not get the film from the entity and use the code. To see what it might say...

Attempting to break the light bulb early in the game... has quite a different meaning on subsequent play throughs D:
...on my first play through I was afraid to run when there were obstacles around. Imagined Niko tripping on debris... Didn't know if the game would be brutal by resetting if you messed up.

Oh and I was hoping to walk around the first building and avoid meeting Prophet Bot, since that would mean Niko would be on his own for a while... Making Silver the first person you meet would be a twist, or ignoring Silver and heading straight into the mines D: (If Niko would ignore the warning... which he won't lol)

Some of the obscure finds:
Photo booth fun xD Was ready to use the blinking pic lol.
Closing the game multiple times in succession, then feeling guilty x)
Talking to everyone for the first time while Alula tagged along~
Actually, just all of the little details really made the whole experience quite enjoyable.

Only ran into one text bug, haven't tried to repeat it yet...
When I returned to the room I found Alula in (with her still) it repeated a dialogue as if I was checking the squares before they disappeared. Odd, but not sure what triggered it. I walked around everywhere before returning.

As for my previous review...
+1 to the puzzles, I didn't realize the answer would be handed to me if I asked around, instead of trying to figure it out on my own. (The lens in particular (thought I could figure it out easily enough, but got stuck lol))

Can't wait for the Solstice...

I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the game thus far.
Although that's a weird issue you had with the BSOD, and it's somewhat obvious but I'll confirm here that the game isn't ever supposed to BSOD your computer.

Jan 20, 2017 at 12:33 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Played it a while ago, its a really good game. Good job GIR!

Feb 7, 2017 at 4:36 AM
"Huzzah!"
Great game. Kinda reminds me of when I first played the Undertale demo a couple years ago.

Feb 16, 2017 at 10:08 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Wow. I had no idea you worked on a released a successful game last year, Gir. And I had no idea that it was this game. Goddamn, this looks good. I'll definitely add this to my Steam wishlist and play the demo when I can. Also, can I ask what aspect of the game you did? I assume it was the music, but I know you also do art so I just wanted to make sure.

Feb 17, 2017 at 12:06 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Wow. I had no idea you worked on a released a successful game last year, Gir. And I had no idea that it was this game. Goddamn, this looks good. I'll definitely add this to my Steam wishlist and play the demo when I can. Also, can I ask what aspect of the game you did? I assume it was the music, but I know you also do art so I just wanted to make sure.
For this project it was actually mostly programming and level building (grunt work). I came in near the end of development to help push the final parts of the game to completion.

Mar 10, 2017 at 7:34 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I have bought this game a couple of weeks ago after trying out the freeware release from 2014. I haven't played the game in a while, but the story is really good. I like the character development and environments, though backtracking for items and combining can be a little boring.

Also the cryptic stuff that happens in the game like a text file in your document and your desktop background temporary changing to the solution in the Glen puzzle is pretty amazing. I like when games do these things.

I will definitely continue playing this game pretty soon, as I see people wandering around on the internet with these little OneShot icons.

niko is so gosh darn cute i wanna hug it aaaaaaaah

Mar 20, 2017 at 8:03 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
FYI OneShot is on sale now for $6.69 (33% off), but only for 2 days.

I have bought this game a couple of weeks ago after trying out the freeware release from 2014. I haven't played the game in a while, but the story is really good. I like the character development and environments, though backtracking for items and combining can be a little boring.

Also the cryptic stuff that happens in the game like a text file in your document and your desktop background temporary changing to the solution in the Glen puzzle is pretty amazing. I like when games do these things.

I will definitely continue playing this game pretty soon, as I see people wandering around on the internet with these little OneShot icons.

niko is so gosh darn cute i wanna hug it aaaaaaaah
I'm glad to hear that you've enjoyed the game.

Apr 4, 2017 at 12:17 PM
Starbound sucked sadly
OneShot was updated for solistice for those who have played through it since they'll understand why. One of the best games i've played.

Apr 27, 2017 at 1:26 AM
Indie game enthusiast
In my opinion the update was pretty straight forward but very rewarding. Perfect way to provide closure.
I can't think of many games that directly encourage you to stop replaying a game. With a little suspension of belief, the "Oneshot" patch wants you to take this concept to heart. (I can only think think of Undertale when it comes to similar "permanent" consequences related to the player, which aren't very easy to undo. Because you're not supposed to undo them.)
Games are generally about lack of real world consequence. It's fun, and we can just load if things go south. Which made this a refreshing experience by blurring the borders between an enclosed game world, Niko and the player. And unlike Undertale, the "permanent" effects weren't sour, but sweet. <3

Oh and the new music and artwork were especially enjoyable...
Great project you had a hand in Gir!

Now we just need an update for players who can't let go. Those who go to AppData folders and Steam Cloud. If there was an external database that just tracked 1 or 0, if Niko was saved; there could be a future content update about the World Machine being reset to its previous state for these players, but slowly regaining its memories. And Niko, who would slowly realize that he was brought back AGAIN. That the player is keeping them in an endless loop!
Then at the end maybe find out it was just the World Machine trying to appease the player's reluctance to leave, by simulating Niko.

Apr 27, 2017 at 3:36 AM
Professional Whatever
Now we just need an update for players who can't let go. Those who go to AppData folders and Steam Cloud. If there was an external database that just tracked 1 or 0, if Niko was saved; there could be a future content update about the World Machine being reset to its previous state for these players, but slowly regaining its memories. And Niko, who would slowly realize that he was brought back AGAIN. That the player is keeping them in an endless loop!

you know...after all this time helping niko out, i would actually kill to be able to hurt niko like that - make him feel like you don't actually care about getting him home, you just wanna play the game

we were ALMOST THERE with the solstice route

Apr 27, 2017 at 10:04 PM
Indie game enthusiast
you know...after all this time helping niko out, i would actually kill to be able to hurt niko like that - make him feel like you don't actually care about getting him home, you just wanna play the game

we were ALMOST THERE with the solstice route
You're not one of those players that enjoyed closing the game... then opening it back up. Then closing it... Then opening it... repeatedly, getting a kick out of Niko freaking out... are you...?
I did >;)

I also tried shaking the "World Machine" a bunch, to see if it would have any effect. "...Earthquake!!"
Sorry Niko.

I would feel guilty bringing him back after a happy ending, like I did in Undertale. But curiosity... killed the cat...

In the next patch, aphelion, Hello Penguin infects the World Machine, causing it to replicate Penguins. At first it looked like a funny glitch, but soon... The sun was a Penguin.

Apr 29, 2017 at 1:54 AM
Professional Whatever
hell yeah man it was great

on a related note, i wanted to share my biggest issue with the game:
All the discussion you have with niko just doesn't really matter all that much. None of the dialogue has lasting consequences, it's just "which line of dialogue do you want to see this time?" If there were a way to be rude to, or lie to niko about things, that would be fantastic - i had a thought previously about a different way to interact with niko that i thought would be really cool, where you act like an antagonist or a tyrannical god, and you make niko think that returning the sun is bad because it helps you out with your plans or whatever. That way you can make niko smash the sun without feeling remorse for doing so! It'd be a lasting, interesting and engaging choice of interaction with the player character. The fact that you don't have meaningful choices like this is the biggest thing i think is wrong with this game.