Official CSTSF Mirai Modding Contest Discussion Thread (Over)

Sep 16, 2018 at 7:47 AM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
file size restrictions are probably going to be put in place for convenience that way we wont have 200mb flac ost entries since clownacy's modloader is allowed
I can assume the same goes for mods made with PEONS in mind as well, for the crazy possibility of brand new, extensive hacks much like in Txin's mods (while this scenario is unlikely for others, I do like this precaution being in action)

Sep 16, 2018 at 1:00 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
File sizes likely won't be a problem unless they start getting really ridiculous (might stick an upper limit at 50MB or something). I'm still pondering the best way to go about controlling the scope of entries, or if the other rules will be enough on their own. I want people to have freedom to try things out without the ultimate target boiling down to being as big and epic as possible.

Yes I'm being vague and yes I'm keeping it that way until the 28th

Sep 26, 2018 at 11:37 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Two days ish now until go time, if there are any more preemptive enquirables to be had

Sep 26, 2018 at 11:41 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
reaffirming my stance that :clap: team :clap: entries :clap: are :clap: good

Sep 28, 2018 at 4:07 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Thread renamed and first post updated, let's blow this popsicle emporium

Sep 28, 2018 at 4:48 PM
War criminal
So, a small question regarding map limit, because I usually tend to delete all vanilla rooms beforehand, do rooms used for cutscenes (like the flashbacks aforementioned in the OP) also count?

Sep 28, 2018 at 8:03 PM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
On the subject of map limitations. I enjoy making the use of small "transition" maps from time to time. Usually containing no substantial game play or real content, just to set the mood and sometimes avoid technical issues. Treasure Islands had a number of these like so:
transition.png
So do these kinda small crappy maps count towards the 15 map limit?

Sep 28, 2018 at 9:00 PM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Correct me if I missed it but I didn't notice anything that states a requirement of only one entry being directly tied to each individual (AKA only one submission per person).

If this clause is missing it could either be an oversight or just something you don't think will be a problem (since in theory it's self-destructive).

Sep 29, 2018 at 2:46 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
So, a small question regarding map limit, because I usually tend to delete all vanilla rooms beforehand, do rooms used for cutscenes (like the flashbacks aforementioned in the OP) also count?
Already answered this but so everyone sees it: Correct.

So do these kinda small crappy maps count towards the 15 map limit?
Yes that's what I really want to get across, 15 maps of big + small areas (at most) is the sort of size I'm expecting to get finished properly over 6 weeks. If someone wants to go bigger than that they're going to have to start doubling up within their maps/tilesets. It does slightly restrict some ideas, but setting a limit on total tiles used rather than maps wasn't going to be practical due to the way their numbers balloon on large maps compared to small ones.

Correct me if I missed it but I didn't notice anything that states a requirement of only one entry being directly tied to each individual (AKA only one submission per person).

If this clause is missing it could either be an oversight or just something you don't think will be a problem (since in theory it's self-destructive).
I wanted to leave the possibility open for one person to collab on multiple projects if they really want to since all limits are off in that regard. Otherwise as you say they're really splitting their own chances more than anything.

Sep 30, 2018 at 6:06 AM
beep boop
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Could I change the palette in the item image? I have a certain palette I like to work with, and am in the process of converting Cave Story assets to that palette, and came across this issue. I just want to be sure.

Oct 3, 2018 at 4:39 AM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
Looks like I'm going to be using a lot of <CMP's if I need more than 15 maps for things. Better keep it optimal as possible!

Oops I forgot to mention this earlier but I'm throwing $100 USD at the people's choice top 3 because the community's voice matters as well <3

1st $60
2nd $30
3rd $10

Oct 3, 2018 at 10:53 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
I um .-. was intending to keep the popular vote as straightforward as possible, and also specifically avoid doubling up on big payouts for the top entries. If we're going to throw that much cash around I want to talk about it more first.

It has also been brought to my attention that the map size limitations will be more restricting on mods with much higher than normal player movement speeds; in such cases I'm willing to consider an increase in tiles per map allowance (again, upon request only).

Oct 3, 2018 at 12:01 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Looks like I'm going to be using a lot of <CMP's if I need more than 15 maps for things. Better keep it optimal as possible
Isn't that a bit against the spirit of the rule
Like obviously one could use as many tiles as they wanted if they just hid that data somewhere else until runtime

Oct 3, 2018 at 10:52 PM
The TideWalker
"That dog!"
I um .-. was intending to keep the popular vote as straightforward as possible, and also specifically avoid doubling up on big payouts for the top entries. If we're going to throw that much cash around I want to talk about it more first..

About $100 for first place isn't a lot of money, maybe 2 days wages (depending on what part of the world you live in obviously) but I can assume that to most people here that's less hours of work then they would put the mod contest anyway (not even a 5th if I'm being honest) so I don't really see how it's a lot of cash.

Isn't that a bit against the spirit of the rule
Like obviously one could use as many tiles as they wanted if they just hid that data somewhere else until runtime

I mean, maybe, but remember that you can only have TSC files up to 4 Gigabytes in size!

But Seriously after talking to DT and he stated that. "I chose that size based on entries in previous modcons, which were already fairly long, or at least content-heavy"

I don't really think that would matter, as shooting yourself in the foot with longer less exciting playtimes is bad anyway. I mean, I get where DT's coming from but I think it's more damaging (especially with the theme) than helpful at this point. (Future mods = space travel maybe. = space = giant fucking maps of space = bad for 200X100 map size limit)

Good mods deserve to have long playtime.
Don't punish good devs because bad ones exist.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018 at 12:31 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
limitations breed ingenuity. I think this limitation is both interesting and fair and I think people should try to work with it, not around it.

Oct 4, 2018 at 1:11 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
It isn't there to limit bloat, it's to keep design scope under control and make it less of a contest of who has the most spare time. I didn't want to hard-block the reuse of map space (for now) but if someone is going to add further content it's at least not going to be convenient.

Oct 19, 2018 at 12:02 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Hey everyone, we've reached roughly the halfway point of the first period and therefore prime time for a check-in on how everyone's doing :mahin:

I'm gonna re-outline the submission details here too, to make it totally clear what's changed and hopefully see some activity on that front soon. Initial private submissions will remain open for another three weeks; everything I have at that point will then be briefly checked/organised and then reposted publicly in bulk. What I want to be taken from this is that there's no downside to submitting something to me early to get your mod in the books. You can re-submit as many updates as you want in the first period and I'll only post the latest one when the second starts, but you have to submit something before the first deadline. From then on, all further incremental updates will also be posted publicly on the forums, until submissions close completely.

Whatever you might've seen already, I totally encourage everyone to aim for completion. I'm aware of at least six entries so far, which is a wee bit underwhelming but workable provided they all come through. The current prize payouts are almost certainly going to be extended to 4th and possibly even 5th place, which means the incentives are presently looking very good for anyone involved :debug:

Oct 19, 2018 at 3:19 PM
The TideWalker
"That dog!"
Also going to add to this that with this month's Modfest in the discord that we're accepting submitions for modcon entries (if you want me to play them on stream).

For those who don't know Modfest is something the CSMC has been doing for the past year now. It's a get together to mod for a few hours and more of a social thing than anything else, but you can submit your WIP modcon mod for everyone to see, and I'll play them on stream!

Link to the discord where event is held is in my signature so be sure to check it out if you haven't yet!

Oct 28, 2018 at 2:48 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Aw crap, am I too late? If not, I'm in.