New areas in Cave Story 3D?

May 25, 2011 at 9:08 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I was recently confused by something in a video by Nicalis about the game. In the interview, it was said that there would be new areas in Cave Story 3D. So, to confirm that I was not misunderstanding this, I went to Pixel's bulletin board page and posted a question. Here is the question, and it's response:

Q: In one of the announcement videos about Cave Story 3D, they mentioned "new areas". What does that mean? Will there actually be new areas in the game?
A: Yes.

So, Cave Story 3D will feature new areas? Sounds interesting! Can't wait to get the game! (now to save up for a 3DS -3-)

(btw this is my first post here. HAI THE PEOPLES! :muscledoc:)

May 25, 2011 at 9:57 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Can't wait to learn more :D I wonder where they would add new story, or if it would be like bonus optional or expanded areas..

Also I'm curious... how involved is Pixel with Cave Story 3D?
I know the Wii version had a lot of his input, but how about this one?

Oh and Greetings Turbocharge :DDDDDD

May 25, 2011 at 10:38 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
X-Calibar said:
Also I'm curious... how involved is Pixel with Cave Story 3D?
I know the Wii version had a lot of his input, but how about this one?

I'm pretty sure that Pixel is overlooking this project, approving what he likes and whatnot.
And Cave Story did post a thread about a new area, Wind Fortess!
And yeah, I really do wonder how they will be able to implement the new level, and it will be nice to see some extra stuff added since we got the game remade plenty of times already with the same gameplay, more or less.

[HAIS!]

May 25, 2011 at 11:08 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Tpcool said:
I'm pretty sure that Pixel is overlooking this project, approving what he likes and whatnot.
And Cave Story did post a thread about a new area, Wind Fortess!
And yeah, I really do wonder how they will be able to implement the new level, and it will be nice to see some extra stuff added since we got the game remade plenty of times already with the same gameplay, more or less.

[HAIS!]
Oh, awesome! So he's implementing Wind Fortress! Can't wait to see that :muscledoc:

Though they did say areas, plural, so it's possible that there's even more in store! Who knows?

@E-calibar: Hey :D

May 25, 2011 at 11:15 PM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
It seems like they are going all out with these 3DS games...the OOT release will have new stuff too. This is wonderful!

May 25, 2011 at 11:52 PM
Member Title
"All your forum are belong to us!"
May 26, 2011 at 2:40 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
I would like to see more optional areas, TBH. I feel CS, while great, is a bit linear for a Metroidvania, and would do better with optional areas. But either way, new areas are awesome.

Jun 6, 2011 at 2:36 AM
Not COMMA
Discord Group Moderator
"..."
How about a stage with the song People of the Root?

Jun 8, 2011 at 7:05 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
New information has been revealed in the latest issue of Nintendo Power. Here is a quote from the magazine's most recent article on Cave Story 3D:
However, the game features some new content as well, including an additional area and scenario near the end of the adventure that allows you to unlock the Prinny-publisher NIS America's mascot-as a playable character.
The last bit is a bit irrelevant, but I thought it was kinda interesting that you unlock Prinny not by beating the game and unlocking a mode with it or something like that, but through an in-game scenario that is near the end of the game.

Back on subject, this confirms that Wind Fortress will be the only new area, since they said "area", singular. Also, depending on how you interpret this, this may indicate that Wind Fortress may be linked to getting Prinny as an unlockable character.

Jun 8, 2011 at 8:20 PM
Creating A Legacy...
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Concept Art..
diph.php

Maybe Prinny owns the wind fortress?

Jun 9, 2011 at 12:51 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Promo art, not concept art
I really doubt there will be a prinny in CS3DS

Jun 9, 2011 at 1:48 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Noxid said:
I really doubt there will be a prinny in CS3DS
Nintendo Power June 2011 Issue;]However said:
scenario near the end of the adventure that allows you to unlock the Prinny-publisher NIS America's mascot-as a playable character.[/I]
Nintendo Power says otherwise.

Jun 9, 2011 at 1:55 AM
Been here way too long...
It'll be interesting to see if they can integrate them without breaking immersion.
Or else if they'll hide them really, really deep.

(Scenario near the end sounds like wind fortress or something else near the balcony. Is there any confirmation of something like this?)
Edit: Oh wait that was the point of this thread in the first place.

Well, whatever.

Jun 9, 2011 at 2:32 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
I'm pretty excited for this, but since I'm probably not getting a 3DS any time soon, I keep telling myself I could go without it.

Jun 9, 2011 at 2:36 AM
Been here way too long...
Me too.
I'll probably just snooker a friend into getting it.

Jun 12, 2011 at 3:03 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Labyrinth.
Oh well.

Jun 12, 2011 at 3:33 AM
Member Title
I believe this must be a beta level in the Labyrinth.
If it's not, it is a heavily remade section with a hole in the floor (which could be a passage, or a spike trap). Either way, it doesn't ring a bell with me as being a part of the Labyrinth.

Jun 12, 2011 at 10:58 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Well in that case, maybe there will be other areas besides wind fortress in cave story 3d! Time will tell!

EDIT: the file name for a screenshot that was clearly from the labyrinth area confirmed that lab was just an abbreviation of labyrinth. However, I did find one of the screenshots in that article to be very interesting. It too was labeled "lab", though nowhere in the labyrinth is there a section that looks like that. All the other screenshots correspond with areas in the original version of the game except for this one.
diph.php
I don't remember seeing an area that looked like that anywhere in the original Cave Story. Also, note the presence of a life capsule. If I remember right, there was only one life capsule in the original labyrinth area, and this is clearly not a screenshot of that section of the area.

Jun 12, 2011 at 11:32 PM
Member Title
Wait, what about the one with the red background then?

Oh yeah, Destructoid just released this Cave Story to Cave Story 3D comparison video. IMO it looks very nice.