My Modifications

Jun 16, 2016 at 5:40 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Last edited:
Jun 16, 2016 at 6:38 AM
Eevee Enthusiast
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Firstly, welcome to the Cave Story Tribute Site Forums! Secondly, I decided to give your mod a spin despite it being pretty late.

first off, it's generally expected of everyone on the forums to have at least played Cave Story, so there's no need to worry about "new players" being confused

oh boy, standard pre-title cutscene

p216146-0-pvrmyn9.png

cave mod 1.6 story

oh boy, standard kazuma cutscene

p216146-1-ohiz1eh.png

too many periods there

p216146-2-swdyeel.png

again, unnecessary

p216146-3-mhuru6p.png

but i don't even have a weapon yet

it's generally a good idea to modify the vanilla maps
nobody likes playing "cave story, but slightly different"

p216146-4-bddhhu4.png

could use a little more stuff to fill in the empty space and a little less critter spam

p216146-5-grymdlk.png

this door doesn't animate when i open it

when I go back from Tunnel 3 to Defcon 1, there's what sounds to be some text before the <FAI

why the heck are you making me fight purple critters with a level 1/2 polar star

p216146-6-ucunfss.png

missing some background tiles there

p216146-7-pcszbjf.png

this chest doesn't stay open, so i can grab an infinite amount of Old Keys

p216146-8-yspgtkw.png

unnecessary usage of ellipses tbh

p216146-9-hszwijl.png

despite you calling it a Health Jar, it's still called a Life Pot in my inventory

p216146-10-qhxyzsq.png

you didn't put an H/V trigger here to kill the player if they fall down here

it seems like most of your doors don't animate when you open them

p216146-11-cbqfcc8.png

you what my dude

p216146-12-czvgbf3.png

that's not the blade and oh god puu black

p216146-13-xubwpoz.png

puu black isn't necessarily a good first boss, especially when you haven't changed its damage values
5 damage is a lot when you have no Arms Barrier, a Polar Star, and 16 hp

you also didn't force the chest to stay open after opening it for the first time, so i probably could've triggered the fight again

p216146-14-1htskqu.png

keep in mind that their bullets do 5 damage and have more than 4 hp

p216146-15-hro0bxc.png

"Antique" shouldn't be capitalized

p216146-16-hyooott.png

should probably have him gasp or say vocally that he notices your key

p216146-17-quxlkiy.png

can't interact with this

p216146-18-vms9qce.png

"Locked" shouldn't be capitalized

well, seems like my old key is useless, so i may as well give it to Santa

p216146-19-jy0sejk.png

this is down one too many lines

p216146-20-amxso8n.png

yeah but i clearly just got it from Santa

time to progress with the hopefully changed story i guess

>Kazuma's dialogue upon exiting First Cave hasn't been changed
worrying

i'ma go out on a limb and assume you haven't changed anything else, and i don't feel like playing through vanilla Cave Story at 1:30am

It's certainly a decent "first mod" so far. Your tiling isn't too stale, though the enemy spam could be toned down a bit. Try to make more original content without re-using vanilla maps. Oh, and don't forget to regularly playtest and balance your mod; you probably could have found some of these errors on your own with diligence.

Jun 16, 2016 at 6:51 AM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
With the whole hidden room thing in Start Point, I really thought this would be a mod very similar to "Cave Story: Transcripted version", but I've went to Grasstown and there doesn't really seem to be any more secrets. It kinda sucks, actually. You've had the right idea with the different maps, but everything else just flatlined after First Cave.

Jun 16, 2016 at 7:47 AM
Catz R cool
Modding Community Discord Moderator
"..."
Firstly, welcome to the Cave Story Tribute Site Forums! Secondly, I decided to give your mod a spin despite it being pretty late.

first off, it's generally expected of everyone on the forums to have at least played Cave Story, so there's no need to worry about "new players" being confused

oh boy, standard pre-title cutscene

p216146-0-pvrmyn9.png

cave mod 1.6 story

oh boy, standard kazuma cutscene

p216146-1-ohiz1eh.png

too many periods there

p216146-2-swdyeel.png

again, unnecessary

p216146-3-mhuru6p.png

but i don't even have a weapon yet

it's generally a good idea to modify the vanilla maps
nobody likes playing "cave story, but slightly different"

p216146-4-bddhhu4.png

could use a little more stuff to fill in the empty space and a little less critter spam

p216146-5-grymdlk.png

this door doesn't animate when i open it

when I go back from Tunnel 3 to Defcon 1, there's what sounds to be some text before the <FAI

why the heck are you making me fight purple critters with a level 1/2 polar star

p216146-6-ucunfss.png

missing some background tiles there

p216146-7-pcszbjf.png

this chest doesn't stay open, so i can grab an infinite amount of Old Keys

p216146-8-yspgtkw.png

unnecessary usage of ellipses tbh

p216146-9-hszwijl.png

despite you calling it a Health Jar, it's still called a Life Pot in my inventory

p216146-10-qhxyzsq.png

you didn't put an H/V trigger here to kill the player if they fall down here

it seems like most of your doors don't animate when you open them

p216146-11-cbqfcc8.png

you what my dude

p216146-12-czvgbf3.png

that's not the blade and oh god puu black

p216146-13-xubwpoz.png

puu black isn't necessarily a good first boss, especially when you haven't changed its damage values
5 damage is a lot when you have no Arms Barrier, a Polar Star, and 16 hp

you also didn't force the chest to stay open after opening it for the first time, so i probably could've triggered the fight again

p216146-14-1htskqu.png

keep in mind that their bullets do 5 damage and have more than 4 hp

p216146-15-hro0bxc.png

"Antique" shouldn't be capitalized

p216146-16-hyooott.png

should probably have him gasp or say vocally that he notices your key

p216146-17-quxlkiy.png

can't interact with this

p216146-18-vms9qce.png

"Locked" shouldn't be capitalized

well, seems like my old key is useless, so i may as well give it to Santa

p216146-19-jy0sejk.png

this is down one too many lines

p216146-20-amxso8n.png

yeah but i clearly just got it from Santa

time to progress with the hopefully changed story i guess

>Kazuma's dialogue upon exiting First Cave hasn't been changed
worrying

i'ma go out on a limb and assume you haven't changed anything else, and i don't feel like playing through vanilla Cave Story at 1:30am

It's certainly a decent "first mod" so far. Your tiling isn't too stale, though the enemy spam could be toned down a bit. Try to make more original content without re-using vanilla maps. Oh, and don't forget to regularly playtest and balance your mod; you probably could have found some of these errors on your own with diligence.

With the whole hidden room thing in Start Point, I really thought this would be a mod very similar to "Cave Story: Transcripted version", but I've went to Grasstown and there doesn't really seem to be any more secrets. It kinda sucks, actually. You've had the right idea with the different maps, but everything else just flatlined after First Cave.
Is this really how people treat new players' mods? I've seen many (and I stress MANY) people's first mods being called 'This sucks,' or 'This is bullshit.' Including mine. Then there are mods by people who have been here a long time, which don't even have much stuff in them, being called awesome.
I don't think this is a good attitude to someone new to this forum, especially since that this is their first mod. I find that replies start off well, then they slowly sink down into arguments. I'm not saying it's purely your fault, but I'm just saying that you should try to be more courteous with new players' mods. I don't mind memes, like Seasons, but I just want to say this before more people start posting hate messages.
I've been working on a mod for a very long time now, and i've fixed most of the bugs. I have planned for a full on MAC port, but haven't received the demands to produce one. So for right now it's on the PC.

Download Version 1.6 Via Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fpcdr5njl7bsd05/CSMOD.zip?dl=0
I played it, then I looked through it in CE, BL, and Ollydbg. You haven't any NPC, ASM modifications, or any new sprites. IDK what you think 'a long time' is, but just beware that your mod is probably too short and unmodified right now to be considered 'a good mod.' If you've spent only a few weeks on this, then you're probably still learning to edit maps. Do keep in mind that people like us expect a lot from a sentence like 'I've been working on a mod for a very long time now.'

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2016 at 7:57 AM
War criminal
Is this really how people treat new players' mods? I've seen many (and I stress MANY) people's first mods being called 'This sucks,' or 'This is bullshit.' Including mine. Then there are mods by people who have been here a long time, which don't even have much stuff in them, being called awesome.
I don't think this is a good attitude to someone new to this forum, especially since that this is their first mod. I'm not saying it's purely your fault, but I'm just saying that you should try to be more courteous with new players' mods. I just want to say this before more people start posting hate messages.
First off, Seasons was very courteous with the mod, he never said it "sucked" or was "bullshit". When I said "it sucks", what I really meant was "I was excited, but then it fizzed down quickly", not "this mod is awful overall".

Secondly, have you not seen any of my first mods? If I were a new member and uploaded Story Changed at this time, yeah, I'm pretty sure someone would say "this mod sucks" to me. Shoot, fucking CSTSF Mod was vanilla Cave Story, but with everything but the storyline being different.

tl;dr Don't take your anger on us just because we said Rise of Ballos was flawed, while we were criticizing yours and this new member's mod fairly.

Jun 16, 2016 at 8:03 AM
Catz R cool
"..."
First off, Seasons was very courteous with the mod, he never said it "sucked" or was "bullshit". When I said "it sucks", what I really meant was "I was excited, but then it fizzed down quickly", not "this mod is awful overall".

Secondly, have you not seen any of my first mods? If I were a new member and uploaded Story Changed at this time, yeah, I'm pretty sure someone would say "this mod sucks" to me. Shoot, fucking CSTSF Mod was vanilla Cave Story, but with everything but the storyline being different.

tl;dr Don't take your anger on us just because we said Rise of Ballos was flawed, while we were criticizing yours and this new member's mod fairly.
I meant that often these messages eventually escalated to arguments and hate posts. Also I don't think my mod fits in the category of 'really bad' imo. It's not the best mod, I'll accept that, but 'really bad' is just wrong.

Jun 16, 2016 at 8:04 AM
Eevee Enthusiast
I don't think this is a good attitude to someone new to this forum, especially since that this is their first mod. I find that replies start off well, then they slowly sink down into arguments. I'm not saying it's purely your fault, but I'm just saying that you should try to be more courteous with new players' mods. I don't mind memes, like Seasons, but I just want to say this before more people start posting hate messages.
If you could go back through my notes, you would notice that not once did I get angry with the mod and for good reason. He may not have all that much made so far, but it has potential. He made his own maps and his design isn't as bland as most other beginner's mods. It's probably not going to be a masterpiece, but practice makes perfect.

There's really no need to get jealous of me going easy on the new guy, either. I had more than enough reason to criticize your mod as I did; it was level after level of spikes, overpowered enemy spam, and overall bullshit difficulty. It deserved the criticism because there were actual issues that needed addressing.

Jun 16, 2016 at 8:06 AM
Catz R cool
"..."
If you could go back through my notes, you would notice that not once did I get angry with the mod and for good reason. He may not have all that much made so far, but it has potential. He made his own maps and his design isn't as bland as most other beginner's mods. It's probably not going to be a masterpiece, but practice makes perfect.

There's really no need to get jealous of me going easy on the new guy, either. I had more than enough reason to criticize your mod as I did; it was level after level of spikes, overpowered enemy spam, and overall bullshit difficulty. It deserved the criticism because there were actual issues that needed addressing.
Well, maybe you should tone down the swearing a bit, because from my perspective, you seem like you're just raging.

Jun 16, 2016 at 8:10 AM
Eevee Enthusiast
Well, maybe you should tone down the swearing a bit, because from my perspective, you seem like you're just raging.
These mod notes of mine are practically written Let's Plays whose goal is to point out various errors that the player can come across alongside general points of interest to spice them up. If I get frustrated while playing a mod, which Rise of Ballos has a very easy time doing, you can expect me to use fitting language to express it.

Jun 16, 2016 at 8:10 AM
War criminal
I mean, Thomas Xin, it's not that you're trying to tell a message on not to argue, but with how you said those previous messages, of course it'll sound more like you just want to start shit with whoever's actually contributing to this thread, and complain about how we review.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2016 at 8:16 AM
Catz R cool
"..."
I mean, Thomas Xin, it's not that you're trying to tell a message on not to argue, but with how you said those previous messages, of course it'll sound more like you just want to start shit with whoever's actually contributing to this thread, and complain about how we review.
No I'm not trying to start any shit. I'm trying to say, if you're going to swear, it's probably best to make at least some note that you're not actually angry, to people new on the forum. I also don't like people saying things about mods without actually playing them. That said, let's stop taking this post down the line of offtopicness.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2016 at 10:57 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
1. Thank you for your Feedback, I will fix what I can
2. I made the mod originally easier for the average player to complete the original game with the best ending (with extra features like 10+ HP, the Snake, etc)
3. I see what everyone means by no new sprite movement. To be honest I never learned to do any of that means. But it never hurts to try
4. I'm adding another special surprise into the mod

Jun 17, 2016 at 7:28 AM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"..."
I meant that often these messages eventually escalated to arguments and hate posts. Also I don't think my mod fits in the category of 'really bad' imo. It's not the best mod, I'll accept that, but 'really bad' is just wrong.
Gonna derail but you're wrong there dude. It had potential once but just spikes after spikes and I think everyone's given up hope.

Anyway, on topic. This mod looks like a really nice starting attempt. The level design isn't exceptional but it holds promise. Some things, as said, could serve to be toned down a little bit. Nobody wants to dodge critters on a vertical staircase when they have no gun!

Jun 17, 2016 at 4:30 PM
Eevee Enthusiast
Anyway, on topic. This mod looks like a really nice starting attempt. The level design isn't exceptional but it holds promise. Some things, as said, could serve to be toned down a little bit. Nobody wants to dodge critters on a vertical staircase when they have no gun!
To be fair, all I needed to do was go get the Polar Star. This could be easily fixed by blocking the door off with shootable blocks or something.

Jun 20, 2016 at 6:21 PM
Alright Update 1.7: The Dong Update

*Many Bug Fixes and Improvements
*Now officially renamed to CaveStory: The Mod that sux Dong
* Improvement on some maps
* Senpai now has a 69% chance of noticing you, but only on Wednesday.
* You can skip the opening cut scene if you want to.

(And yes, I know I didn't update the game title bar)
You can download the Updated version here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/refgr2wxgt8pl71/CSTMTSD.zip?dl=0

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2016 at 7:42 PM
Soup Man
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
Look at GKA2. That mod sucked. It was MY FIRST MOD. In a few years, whoever made this mod will look back on it and laugh. Don't tell him his mod is perfect because then he'll keep making bad mods.

Jun 20, 2016 at 7:55 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
I've seen many (and I stress MANY) people's first mods being called 'This sucks,' or 'This is bullshit.' Including mine.

Do you expect us to lie? Sometimes mods suck, and first mods have a habit of being the worst, due to inexperience on the modder's behalf. And ofc, how much a mod "sucks" is subjective to the person's opinion/tastes, which should be taken into account with any individual review of a mod.

Jun 22, 2016 at 12:24 AM
Stupid

Attachments

• Misery.zip
    883.4 KB · Views: 4