My attempt at Cavestory fighting game style sprites.

Oct 15, 2008 at 5:22 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Not to long ago I put up an animated sprite of Ballos that I had been working on. Well I tried to draw Qoute in a similar manner and I've been wanting to a few character sets and maybe even put in full move sets for some ^^ Although I do want to get some feedback first off to see were I can improve :p

QuoteBalloscompairvar2.gif

QuoteBalloscompair.gif

And Qoute in blue, just in case some of you like that ^^; (The ridge on his cheek is set up to be able to blend into a pallet to look like the human looking Qoute.)
I'm editing Ballos as well to give him some more detail.

Oct 15, 2008 at 9:35 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
If Sue is in it she would have to be in her enraged form, though.

Oct 15, 2008 at 9:54 PM
It's a Sony
"Keep on rollin'!"
That's pretty darned awesome. Seriously.

Oct 15, 2008 at 10:50 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
King299 said:
If Sue is in it she would have to be in her enraged form, though.

I was actually thinking that I'd give Sue two variants, one her corrupted form and the other as her Mimiga form with a hyper ability to temperarily transform into enraged Sue :p (sorta like Ryu turning into Evil Ryu in Marvel vs Capcom 1)

Oct 15, 2008 at 11:08 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
1. If you finish these, somebody out there better damn well make a MUGEN character out of them.

2. Balrog. Enough said.

Oct 15, 2008 at 11:16 PM
Guy with Sword
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Wow. Quote is phenomenal. Awesome work!

Oct 15, 2008 at 11:42 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Whoa...

Those are some awesome sprites! Finally, possible Cave Story mugen characters added to the roster!

Dizor, I just hope that both Quote and Ballos have a good move set so they can stand up to Misery...

And I know you can make a better Sue!

And yeah... Balrog would make an interesting character to fight as...

Oct 16, 2008 at 2:32 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Nice pictures. The game sounds cool. I personally prefer the blue quote. If I have one complaint, it's Ballos's shirt, with the eyes... they freak me out. But that's nothing worth fixing it over, it's probably better this way. What style game is this for?

Oct 16, 2008 at 2:36 AM
Lvl. 3 Blade said:
Nice pictures. The game sounds cool. I personally prefer the blue quote. If I have one complaint, it's Ballos's shirt, with the eyes... they freak me out. But that's nothing worth fixing it over, it's probably better this way. What style game is this for?

YOU WANT SOME DUMB TO GO WITH YOUR STUPID?

attempt at Cavestory fighting game style sprites.
at Cavestory fighting game style sprites.
Cavestory fighting game style sprites.
fighting game style sprites.
fighting game style
fighting game
fighting
fightin
fighti
fight
figh
fig
fi
f

Oct 16, 2008 at 2:39 AM
I am hoping to get them into MUGEN after I make at least the basic attacks and such. I know nothing about making characters, but I could give it a shot XD
I'd love to make Balrog and Misery as well, and was actually thinking of making certain characters combineable (Qoute/Curley, Misery/Balrog etc) to add some extra abilities and such. Though this is a quick list of what I want to make given the time :p

Qoute
Curley
Balrog
Misery (Yeah, I know shes already made, but I wanna make one for my self XD)
King
Sue
Ballos

Maybe some more if I can think of what I could do with em.

Oct 16, 2008 at 2:42 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
DimJim said:
YOU WANT SOME DUMB TO GO WITH YOUR STUPID?

attempt at Cavestory fighting game style sprites.
at Cavestory fighting game style sprites.
Cavestory fighting game style sprites.
fighting game style sprites.
fighting game style
fighting game
fighting
fightin
fighti
fight
figh
fig
fi
f
No thanks, dumb gives me hives. I do however like being lazy, and thus didn't read a lot of the first post; to distracted by the awesome blue Quote.

Oct 16, 2008 at 2:51 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Dizor said:
Quote's skin needs to be a bit lighter. Otherwise it is pure awesome.

The view for ballos seems to be a bit off though.

Oct 16, 2008 at 3:05 AM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
I think Quote's skin should be pale.
dqle said:
And I know you can make a better Sue!
Um... that's not even Sue!

Oct 16, 2008 at 3:32 AM
andwhyisit said:
Quote's skin needs to be a bit lighter. Otherwise it is pure awesome.
Now that you mention it, andwhyisit, robot Quote's skin (the blue one) should be a little lighter. My reason is because it is harder to see Quote's eye with that shade of blue. Human Quote's skin tone makes it easy to spot the eye.

Celtic Minstrel said:
Um... that's not even Sue!
Actually, yes, Sue is in it. Good luck spotting her, though; she's still the same sprite height as she was in Cave Story! Just keep looking for a white blob on the floor...

And I just noticed something, Dizor. Is that dirt on Quote's shoe, or is it the sole?

Also, I think you should just work on one character at a time for now. Unless you just want to draw the stills for each character, I recommend only animating one at a time, lest you have more free time than I think you've got!

Oh yeah. You're also spelling his name wrong; it's "Quote", not "Qoute"!

Oct 16, 2008 at 3:51 AM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
dqle said:
Actually, yes, Sue is in it. Good luck spotting her, though; she's still the same sprite height as she was in Cave Story! Just keep looking for a white blob on the floor...
Yeah, she's in it, but she doesn't seem to be doing anything other than jumping around at random. It's the big square boxy guy you're really fighting.

Oct 16, 2008 at 4:06 AM
dqle said:
Now that you mention it, andwhyisit, robot Quote's skin (the blue one) should be a little lighter. My reason is because it is harder to see Quote's eye with that shade of blue. Human Quote's skin tone makes it easy to spot the eye.

And I just noticed something, Dizor. Is that dirt on Quote's shoe, or is it the sole?

Also, I think you should just work on one character at a time for now. Unless you just want to draw the stills for each character, I recommend only animating one at a time, lest you have more free time than I think you've got!

Oh yeah. You're also spelling his name wrong; it's "Quote", not "Qoute"!
Hehe, sorry ^^; I need to look at my spelling a tad better...

Thats actually the sole/toe of the boots. I did a connecting toe but really didnt like how it looked so I split it like I originally intended.

I made several pallets for Quote right now, I just didnt go any lighter at the moment XD The first run of it looked way too dark and King of Fighters styled shading for what I wanted so I played around a bit and simplified the shading. I just didnt use really light colors ^^;

I want to start off making a base sprite for each character to see if I can keep the style consistant. Ballos looks a bit different than Quote because I drew him a couple of months ago when I was giving spriting a shot. The angle is also a bit off because Quote is more in stance where as I put Ballos as close to his introduction pose as possible XD
I've corrected some minor mistakes on Ballos' sprite and was thinking of adding a few details, such as a gold-ish pattern along his green mantel thing, like around the edges, something simple but to give the clothes some more flair, I suppose :p I like the plainer look ( and it'd be easier on me XD) but some people on another forum wanted a bit more detail in there.

Oct 16, 2008 at 4:13 AM
It's a Sony
"Keep on rollin'!"
Hmm, Ballos' head and hand are great, but his body overall seems a bit formless for a fighting sprite. Sorta like a blob, if you see what I mean. If you're going for fighting-game style, you could try to make the robe look more flowy and less like a sack of fat. After all, it does billow out behind him when he charges, and it'd make Ballos appear to be more powerfully built under the robe.

Oct 16, 2008 at 4:49 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
innocent.bystander said:
The eyes are great.
andwhyisit, maybe you could add these to the fanart section of the new site?
Only with Dizor's permission.