Mushroom Kingdom Fusion (and the Cave Story Level)

Dec 6, 2023 at 7:13 PM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
Mushroom Kingdom Fusion is a 2D Mario fan game based strongly off of Super Mario Bros 3 in its controls. However, that is just the surface of this massive fan game, as it incorporate Characters, Levels, etc from other gam franchises (hence "Fusion"). How big and expansive are we talking?

Taken from the Itch.IO page (where you can download the latest release, V0.85 Tangerine Rev C as of this OP):
  • 17 playable characters including Mario, Sonic, Mega Man, Samus Aran, Simon Belmont and Arthur (Ghosts ’n Goblins). Each character comes with their own unique playstyle, weapons and power-ups.
  • Over 200 levels spanned across 9 Worlds.
  • Fusion power-up suits like Halo’s Spartan Armor for Mario, Duke Nukem for Wario and Eri Kasamoto for Roll.
  • Guns from a variety of games like Metal Slug, Doom, Halo, Contra and Quake.
  • Hundreds of enemies to keep you on your toes.
  • Over 80+ bosses, including 9 World bosses, to test your skills.
  • Controller support
For more details, the Fandom Wiki for MKF is actually a great place to look.

What is the game built in? GameMakver v8, a rather old Development Tool (would take too much work to port MKF to port it to something more modern).

This game has been in the works since 2007 and is a true love letter to video games (especially any that have been around between the 80s and Early 2000's). It's been in and out of development a few times, but has a very dedicated Dev Team looking to finally complete it. I'm actually a Junior Developer on the Team, and currently what's being finished up is World 8: Avenue of Memories (a world largely based around very retro game franchises, Kirby and other Nintendo Worlds, a real mish-mash) and World 9: Edge of Beyond (Sci-Fi World).

-------------------------------

Now that is my pitch for the game itself, but I have another reason for posting this thread. This isn't readily known information to the MKF Community, so please keep this under-wraps here: For World 9: Edge of Beyond, I was able to convince the devs for me to work on a Cave Story Level. It will be an Optional Level called "Mimiga Caverns".

I have already gotten 2 Cave Story Discord volunteers offering to help, but with the current scope that we're looking at for this Level (and my other tasks on the Team), it might be a good idea to get another Level Designer and/or Spriter on board to help (we want a Custom Boss for this Level that I'd rather not reveal here). Unfortunately I am rather an amateur with Level Design (I know enough about GameMaker for creating the Level), so what I feel I really need is someone who has not only a good eye for visual Level Design language, but someone who has a good idea of developing a difficult, but balanced, 2D Level Design that captures the Cave Story experience. Me and the other 2 Volunteers have already started work keep in mind.

If you believe you would be interested in helping, please send a Friend Request to me, names_are_useless, on Discord. I will be able to provide even more details.

Last edited: