Movie script

Jul 16, 2007 at 5:49 AM
Guy with Sword
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Blackhole said:
...I still think just dropping a huge portion of the plot that was well defined within the game from the movie is a mistake. Its just too much, and it doesn't serve its purpose well. Did it have an numbing effect on gameplay? Well, too bad :p if your making a movie, thats not your concern, the plot is your concern, and the most consistant plot comes out of the perfect ending.

It's not a huge portion of the plot. It's a thing at the end where you run like crazy and then try to kill an evil bald guy. It would just kill the movie.

I'm not saying I would completely drop Ballos, simply save him for a sequel. And my concern is a movie that follows the plot without looking like I copied it out of a video game.

Jul 16, 2007 at 5:53 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I didn't even know that existed.

A twist? Its hardly a twist, more of an answer to a whole bunch of questions.

Jul 16, 2007 at 6:34 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Sorry to continue the tangent, but I found a Cave Story parody comic while searching for fanart on DeviantArt. http://kalir.deviantart.com/gallery/

This is NOT mine, by the way. I was just browsing randomly, due to boredom, when I came across this.

Jul 16, 2007 at 6:41 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
...some of those are actually quite humerous :p

Jul 16, 2007 at 8:33 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Atravir said:
I tried to. He won't answer me. I even got on google and made a crappy translation of my email in Japanese, but he still wouldn't answer.

I'm not saying that Ballos is an afterthought, he's just not really part of the storyline until like the last minute. That's way too big of a twist to add to a movie.

Oh, and these are the comics I'm talking about:

p13213-0-1145302805002.jpg

And there's a few more of these.

I'm guessing you don't know where to find the whole thing.

No, but I wish I did.

Jul 16, 2007 at 12:56 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Actually does anyone know what they are saying in it,
i don't understand Japanese.

And I do very much believe it should span 3-6 episodes rather than
be a movie, since you would not be able to fit cave story in just 2 hours.
Movies tend to cut out or change a lot of stuff to fit it in that time span.
For example the book series Deltora Quest would have made a crappy
movie, but turned out much better as an anime series.

But I am very much liking the idea of a cave story Movie/OVA and
hope you get far with this.

Note: With the sequel you might want to get the clear from pixel
for the script.

Jul 16, 2007 at 1:37 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Wait. Why does he need to clear anything with Pixel? I thought he was just writing a script.

Jul 16, 2007 at 3:31 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Sorry I worded that badly. Nevermind.

Jul 16, 2007 at 10:47 PM
Guy with Sword
andwhyisit said:
And I do very much believe it should span 3-6 episodes rather than
be a movie, since you would not be able to fit cave story in just 2 hours.
Movies tend to cut out or change a lot of stuff to fit it in that time span.
For example the book series Deltora Quest would have made a crappy
movie, but turned out much better as an anime series.

Maybe. But the problem is that if I don't cut some things, it will look way too much like a video game. Like if I actually had him run and get the jellyfish juice five times? A series would be more in depth, but I'm wondering if that's a good thing?

Oh, and here are some variables that are open to change. Open to suggestions.

-Does Quote really need to get all of the weapons that he gets in the game? It would fit the storyline, but actually carrying all of that, he would look like some commando.

-Should Toroko die? Honestly, I thought that kind of sucked in the game.

-Where should the movie end? Same place as the game, or go further to show what happens to the gang after they get back to the surface, and what ever happened to the Mimigas?

Jul 17, 2007 at 1:14 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Atravir said:
Maybe. But the problem is that if I don't cut some things, it will look way too much like a video game. Like if I actually had him run and get the jellyfish juice five times? A series would be more in depth, but I'm wondering if that's a good thing?

Oh, and here are some variables that are open to change. Open to suggestions.

-Does Quote really need to get all of the weapons that he gets in the game? It would fit the storyline, but actually carrying all of that, he would look like some commando.

-Should Toroko die? Honestly, I thought that kind of sucked in the game.

-Where should the movie end? Same place as the game, or go further to show what happens to the gang after they get back to the surface, and what ever happened to the Mimigas?

Of course he doesn't need every weapon. He could also lose them a short time after finding them^^

Yes, Toroko has to die, but you can change the details a bit.

For the ending, of course a cliffhanger^^
Showing the crown intact would do it. Because Ballos wasn't killed, Misery, Balrog and Ballos himself are still there on the island.

Jul 17, 2007 at 2:48 AM
Guy with Sword
Tadashi said:
Of course he doesn't need every weapon. He could also lose them a short time after finding them^^

Yes, Toroko has to die, but you can change the details a bit.

For the ending, of course a cliffhanger^^
Showing the crown intact would do it. Because Ballos wasn't killed, Misery, Balrog and Ballos himself are still there on the island.

I never got the point of Toroko dying. I know King died 'cause he was a jerk, especially to Sue.

Cliffhanger is good, but that means I have to make a sequel. Even though I was going to make a sequel anyways. But that's not for sure.

Thanks. More opinions welcome.

Jul 17, 2007 at 3:54 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Toroko has to die because the actions of the main character have to have some weight. The game makes you feel like you're avenging all of the people the Doctor has killed. The ending where
Curly and Booster die
actually seemed like it had more emotional impact, to me.

See, in many good stories, the hero is out to right some injustice. The story has to make you really feel how much of an injustice it is. When that injustice is finally righted, it feels better if it was really an injustice; the greater the justice, the more of a "we did it!" feeling you get.

Of course, I'm no psychologist. I'm just a guy who likes stories. This may all be a load of crap - but think of this: imagine what FF7 would have been like if Aeris survived. Would it have been better, or would it have just made the game less meaningful?

Jul 17, 2007 at 4:42 AM
Guy with Sword
A hero who fights out of revenge? Sounds like a path to the dark side...

Sorry, I had to say that. But it's kind of true. Weather Quote fights for King's and Toroko's revenge, or simply to stop the Doctor's destruction of the Earth really puts Quotes morals to question. In the game, he is completely silent (save for the password), but I can't have that in the movie, so I have to give him some character. Which is another huge question: Quote's personality.

For you, Toroko's death fuels the game. For me, it was just sad. I could probably kill the doctor ten times over, and it wouldn't really make up for it. Then I did kill the kill the doctor ten times over, and it didn't make up for it. I really depends on the point of view.

At some point or another, I'm going to have to talk to Pixel about this. I really need some insight.

Jul 17, 2007 at 5:32 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
It's not the desire for revenge, persay, but the overall added emotional impact. Sometimes, you want a work of fiction to make you feel sad at times. It makes it seem to have more depth somehow.

At least, that's my opinion.

Jul 17, 2007 at 7:45 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
In the game a level 3 sword brings forth the spirit
of King to attack enemies.

The movie should have king's spirit appear as a once-off
instead of being an attack.

And I said this elsewhere, but I think that everyone shunned
magic and embraced technology after Ballos went and let his
magic loose, and destroyed his own kingdom, hence the robots.
It's only a theory, but is probably close to the truth.

Jul 17, 2007 at 10:11 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Atravir said:
A hero who fights out of revenge? Sounds like a path to the dark side...

Sorry, I had to say that. But it's kind of true. Weather Quote fights for King's and Toroko's revenge, or simply to stop the Doctor's destruction of the Earth really puts Quotes morals to question. In the game, he is completely silent (save for the password), but I can't have that in the movie, so I have to give him some character. Which is another huge question: Quote's personality.

For you, Toroko's death fuels the game. For me, it was just sad. I could probably kill the doctor ten times over, and it wouldn't really make up for it. Then I did kill the kill the doctor ten times over, and it didn't make up for it. I really depends on the point of view.

At some point or another, I'm going to have to talk to Pixel about this. I really need some insight.

So because you didn't like Toroko's death, you don't want to include it in the script?
That's bad writing. This isn't an original story that you have full control of.
Guess why all videogame -> movie conversions suck: because they always change the story too much, not just to make it work as a non-interactive media.
Have you ever seen a movie that stays true to the game? It's always rewritten in a way that just includes characteristics of the game, but actually aims at mainstream viewers. This alienates both, the game fans, since it isn't really a movie version of the game, and the normal viewers, because most of the stuff doesn't make sense or loses its suspension of disbelief.

Examples for crappy movies:
Street Fighter movie: It has the characters, but their personal background and personality is twisted and made so silly that neither fans nor normal viewers know what's going on.
Super Mario movie: So Daisy is a human dinosaur thingy, the Mushroom Kingdom is a dystopic version of New York and Goombas are devolutioned dinosaur people?
Resident Evil movies: Has nothing in common with the games except the setting and some names.
Uwe Boll movies: They just suck in every possible way.
DOA: OK, here the whole thing was already lost being based on the DOA franchise. Also, unfitting actors and cheesy dialog.

Just write it according to the game. If people came to like the game because of its story, as long the story was properly preserved, people will also like the anime.

Jul 17, 2007 at 12:01 PM
Hoxtilicious
Atravir said:

Thats changing the original game and story...

Atravir said:

It's a part of the story and changing it would cause to get the movie unoriginal and unoriginal is crappy.

Atravir said:

Pixel always says that he leave it to the player, so I don't think that would clear something :p

Jul 17, 2007 at 10:45 PM
Guy with Sword
Yeah, I'll have Toroko dying. It is part of the game.

S. P. Gardebiter said:
Thats changing the original game and story...
Yeah, but making Quote completely and totally silent would really ruin the movie. Remember that one Mario movie? What if Mario was silent, like in the original games? It would be crap. Well, worse crap anyways. Quote can't be a mute.

And I was going to use the Blade Lvl3 as a finishing move for the Doctor's human form.

Jul 17, 2007 at 10:52 PM
Guy with Sword
Tadashi said:
So because you didn't like Toroko's death, you don't want to include it in the script?
That's bad writing. This isn't an original story that you have full control of.
Guess why all videogame -> movie conversions suck: because they always change the story too much, not just to make it work as a non-interactive media.
Have you ever seen a movie that stays true to the game? It's always rewritten in a way that just includes characteristics of the game, but actually aims at mainstream viewers. This alienates both, the game fans, since it isn't really a movie version of the game, and the normal viewers, because most of the stuff doesn't make sense or loses its suspension of disbelief.

The movie has to be rewritten to some extent. Yes, I won't change big events like death. But if it is too game like, I might as well get on to AOL and watch someone speed run the game. If people watch it, and it's the exact same dialog, it would make the movie boring. People would know exactly what the characters will say and do. There has to be some paraphrasing, some scene changes, and some alterations. That's not to say I'm changing the story. It's like those old folk tales: people always tell them differently. If everybody told them the exact same way, you'd only want to hear them once.

EDIT: I do have to make it to where people who haven't played the game can still enjoy the movie. To some extent. I doubt more than a thousand people in America have actually played this game. That's a small crowd.

EDIT: Well, I got the first 55 pages done. Here is the script:

http://homebase-kice.com/Cave%20Story%20Script%20v0.1.pdf

Keep in mind that this is a rough draft. It's not formatted, it has very few camera changes, and probably is laden with typos. Feel free to criticize.

Jul 18, 2007 at 3:06 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
I have just started reading it and it looks great.
Can't wait for this movie!