Movie script

Sep 26, 2008 at 9:53 PM
This Troper
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Join Date: Jun 19, 2008
Location: Arcane Sanctuary
Posts: 1472
Age: 32
Lately I was thinking about Mimish idiomatic expressions. Are those needed? Or worth creating? One example I thought of: {Symbol}[alt]{Symbol} means "Nonsense!", usually in response to someone else's statements. The {Symbol} used is usually the one that forms the center of the statements.

Another thing: I cannot imagine a language that is written but not spoken. After all, if there's nothing to say, there's nothing to write, either...
 
Sep 26, 2008 at 11:08 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Join Date: Jul 15, 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 6206
Age: 37
T-Jack said:
Lately I was thinking about Mimish idiomatic expressions. Are those needed? Or worth creating? One example I thought of: {Symbol}[alt]{Symbol} means "Nonsense!", usually in response to someone else's statements. The {Symbol} used is usually the one that forms the center of the statements.
{Symbol}[null]{Know}?

Though I doubt {Symbol} is an idiomatic expression since it is not language specific (can mean "letter" when referring to written English). Unless I have failed to understand what you meant. If we can find a way to say "element of a word" or "grouping of words" then we would only need {Word}.

T-Jack said:
Another thing: I cannot imagine a language that is written but not spoken. After all, if there's nothing to say, there's nothing to write, either...
I didn't say that they didn't speak it, just that the audience hears English. But we should finish the written language first before we move onto a spoken language. But if we do have a spoken language inserted into the movie the voice actors would have to learn how to speak it fluently.
 
Sep 26, 2008 at 11:43 PM
This Troper
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Join Date: Jun 19, 2008
Location: Arcane Sanctuary
Posts: 1472
Age: 32
andwhyisit said:
{Symbol}[null]{Know}?

Though I doubt {Symbol} is an idiomatic expression since it is not language specific (can mean "letter" when referring to written English). Unless I have failed to understand what you meant. If we can find a way to say "element of a word" or "grouping of words" then we would only need {Word}.
By {Symbol} I meant whatever symbol appropriate. Ie. {Fish}[alt]{Fish} in response to someone claiming that fish are able to live on the land. I know, it's not perfect, but it's just a suggestion.


andwhyisit said:
I didn't say that they didn't speak it, just that the audience hears English. But we should finish the written language first before we move onto a spoken language. But if we do have a spoken language inserted into the movie the voice actors would have to learn how to speak it fluently.
I suppose putting spoken Mimish in the movie wouldn't be necessary, as we'd have to explain how are the humans and mimigas able to communicate. But I'm glad I merely misinterpreted your previous statement. My head was about to go a-splode.
 
Sep 27, 2008 at 1:23 AM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Join Date: Mar 1, 2008
Location: Grasstown
Posts: 1435
T-Jack said:
Another thing: I cannot imagine a language that is written but not spoken. After all, if there's nothing to say, there's nothing to write, either...
I would like to create pronunciations for the Mimish language, maybe. However, I'd also like to point out that it is possible to have a language that is written but not spoken. Example: Chinese. Unlike many other written languages, which simply tell the reader how to pronounce the words, in Chinese the symbols have an actual meaning.

Another example would be Egyptian hieroglyphs.
 
Sep 27, 2008 at 1:32 AM
It's a Sony
"Keep on rollin'!"
Join Date: Mar 7, 2008
Location:
Posts: 460
Age: 31
Yeah but Chinese IS spoken. So were, I'd assume, hieroglyphs. The everyday ancient Egyptian probably didn't understand hieroglyphics, but I'd assume the scholars that created the writing system meant for it to correspond to the spoken language; it would only make sense, after all. Why invent a code when you've got a language already?
 
Sep 27, 2008 at 1:39 AM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Join Date: Mar 1, 2008
Location: Grasstown
Posts: 1435
The important point here is that the Chinese written language does not convey the pronunciation of the words but rather the meaning. There is no single spoken language called Chinese – there are several, Mandarin and Cantonese being probably the best known. Yet they all use the same written language. And I don't just mean the same symbols – they also mean the same thing. For that matter, Japanese uses the same symbols too, though it also has others that represent pronunciation.

Hieroglyphs do have an alphabet, but most of the symbols convey meaning rather than pronunciation.
 
Sep 27, 2008 at 1:51 AM
It's a Sony
"Keep on rollin'!"
Join Date: Mar 7, 2008
Location:
Posts: 460
Age: 31
Some Chinese characters convey pronunciation by including parts of other characters that sound similar, especially the more complicated ones.

I do get what you mean by meaning, however. Nonetheless, in this case why don't we just go with a case of Aliens (or Mimigas) Speaking English, for simplicity's sake, rather than coming up with something weird about "they write it, but don't speak it!" It falls within the realm of willing suspension of disbelief, after all.
 
Sep 27, 2008 at 2:10 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Join Date: Jul 15, 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 6206
Age: 37
Celtic Minstrel said:
I would like to create pronunciations for the Mimish language, maybe. However, I'd also like to point out that it is possible to have a language that is written but not spoken. Example: Chinese. Unlike many other written languages, which simply tell the reader how to pronounce the words, in Chinese the symbols have an actual meaning.

Another example would be Egyptian hieroglyphs.
Well the idea is that every Mimish word is its own meaning and defines how it is pronounced with a near infinite number of possible words.
 
Sep 27, 2008 at 2:13 AM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Join Date: Mar 1, 2008
Location: Grasstown
Posts: 1435
I like the idea of creating a writing system for them. It's not too much of a stretch to suppose that they developed a different writing system despite speaking the same language – especially if they have a strong accent.
 
Sep 27, 2008 at 3:39 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Join Date: Jul 15, 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 6206
Age: 37
Celtic Minstrel said:
I like the idea of creating a writing system for them. It's not too much of a stretch to suppose that they developed a different writing system despite speaking the same language – especially if they have a strong accent.
No. There is a large difference between Mimish and English. Each symbol would represent a different sound, but unlike English they must be able to work together in ANY combination. And English is based around words built on symbols representing sounds while Mimish is based around symbols representing basic concepts that are then formed into words.
 
Sep 27, 2008 at 4:16 AM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Join Date: Mar 1, 2008
Location: Grasstown
Posts: 1435
Yeah, but that's the writing system you're talking about.

I know! The Mimiga speak Mimish normally, but they can also speak English when necessary!

If we're going to create pronunciations for Mimish words (regardless of whether they actually are used in the movie), then I would be willing to help with that.
 
Sep 27, 2008 at 4:36 AM
It's a Sony
"Keep on rollin'!"
Join Date: Mar 7, 2008
Location:
Posts: 460
Age: 31
Celtic Minstrel said:
Yeah, but that's the writing system you're talking about.

I know! The Mimiga speak Mimish normally, but they can also speak English when necessary!

If we're going to create pronunciations for Mimish words (regardless of whether they actually are used in the movie), then I would be willing to help with that.
BOTH writing AND speaking. In writing, symbols that represent concepts are put together to make words. In speaking, corresponding syllables/sounds/phonemes/unit of the spoken language are put together to make corresponding words. It's the SAME THING.

We can just do what they do in the movies and pretend that they're still speaking Mimish, with automatic translation to English for the viewer's convenience.
 
Sep 27, 2008 at 4:46 AM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Join Date: Mar 1, 2008
Location: Grasstown
Posts: 1435
I've created a new thread for Mimish.
 
Oct 10, 2008 at 12:53 AM
I can has squidburger?
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Join Date: Sep 14, 2008
Location: Walrus World
Posts: 321
UPDATE: I am taking time to port the script to CELTX format, which is a professional movie script editing program. I linked to it in my previous post. This will make it a hell of a lot easier to add storyboards, professional movie script formatting, character profiles, and online collaboration. By the way, CeltX is free software. Grab it here.
 
Oct 10, 2008 at 1:09 AM
Guy with Sword
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Join Date: Jul 1, 2007
Location: Middle of Texas
Posts: 777
Age: 30
Oooo! Shiny!
*grab*

You know, if this is going to be an independent animation, you don't really need to format it. But if it's easier, knock yourself out.
 
Apr 6, 2009 at 8:57 AM
Junior Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Join Date: Apr 5, 2009
Location: Finland
Posts: 11
Has this thread died or something?
How's the new script?

EDIT: Yay, I'm a flashing rupee
 
Apr 6, 2009 at 11:01 AM
Starbound sucked sadly
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Join Date: Jan 7, 2007
Location:
Posts: 2587
Age: 32
Cabadath said:
Has this thread died or something?
<sarcasm>
what gave you that idea, it only hasnt been updated for the past 7+ months theres noooooooooooo way it would be dead, that cant be possible!
</sarcasm>
 
Apr 6, 2009 at 12:12 PM
Junior Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Join Date: Apr 5, 2009
Location: Finland
Posts: 11
I love you too <3

I say we resurrect it since the idea was so good (although it has faced more than enough troubles already). This is something to fight for. I offer any help I can. Don't you bury this project any deeper
 
Apr 6, 2009 at 12:24 PM
This Troper
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Join Date: Jun 19, 2008
Location: Arcane Sanctuary
Posts: 1472
Age: 32
Well, you'd first have to find innocent.bystander and make him continue, Tall Man. Or continue where Atravir stopped yourself.
 
Top