mod with simultaneous bosses

Jan 23, 2009 at 4:28 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Hi humans, I was wondering if someone could make (or help me make) a stable mod which lets you take on multiple (or all!) bosses at once, preferably in a huge room.
This is mostly for those chumps who beat Sacred Grounds (with 1hp and empty missile launcher in under 3 minutes and yadayadayada...) who REALLY want a challenge after basically mastering the original game.
(I'm not sure how the game would handle multiple boss fights at once. I'm most worried that the boss meter(s) would go empty if only a single boss was defeated. I think the boss meter should use the sum of all the bosses hp's, but that, again, is a technical difficulty.)
Still, a massive room with Monster X, all the Balrogs, the Undead Core, and Ballos would be a heck of a time! Anyone want to try?

Jan 23, 2009 at 6:18 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Pronouns: he/him
You could do this with all the "entity bosses", however there are 9 "stage bosses" which are integrated into their respective maps, and each map can only hold one of them. These bosses are: Balfrog, Omega, Monster X, Core, Ironhead, Sisters, Undead Core, Heavy Press, and Ballos. You'd have to pick just one of those.

Jan 23, 2009 at 9:38 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
True. Is there no way for a bright fellow to juxtapose different maps together, or to use a mod-ing program that allows independent stage boss entities? This might involve simply editing the tilesets to include, say, Grasstown and Sand Zone tiles/areas. But I can't see how Ironhead would mix with anything.

Jan 23, 2009 at 10:02 PM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
You're right, Ironhead would not mix with anything.

I don't think it would be possible to combine all the bosses in a single level without a whole lot of work. It's probably not worthwhile.

Jan 23, 2009 at 10:15 PM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
No he wouldn't. He would swim as usually. And I bet his presence would morph the terrain into water terrain.

Jan 24, 2009 at 1:38 AM
I WANT YEN LIN!!!
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Jake pwned somebody again..... the world is really gonna end "-_-

And yea it's funny how Balrog had never fought along with Misery in the game.

Feb 5, 2009 at 10:48 AM
"Huzzah!"
freezit4 said:
Jake pwned somebody again..... the world is really gonna end "-_-

And yea it's funny how Balrog had never fought along with Misery in the game.

Correction almost pwned XD
that is weird that balrog ever is ina battle with misery

Feb 5, 2009 at 11:32 AM
Agent of the System
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Thats because balrog was to cool to fight with someone as lame as misery. Duh!

The Joker

Feb 6, 2009 at 2:41 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
After trying to implement it in my mod, I think yoour list is missing one item: Toroko is a stage... fight. Not Toroko+, Toroko that rushes at you with a stick near the beginning. Perfectly duplicating all terrain, objects and scripts from her room in another room didn't work. Altering her room to what was needed did. And as the clincher, when I accidentally altered the script so talking to her triggered her again, not being in the same starting state (on the ground and in a different spot) caused her to screw up and fall through the floor.

If I'm the first one to ever try to use Toroko in a mod, I guess I should be proud of that.

Feb 9, 2009 at 7:11 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
The main problem is that the stage bosses have their own object structure and are hardcoded to directly use the global variables in that structure instead of an index into the objects array as with normal entities. I'm not clear on if it's a separate instance of the object structure entirely or if it's just a reserved index in the objects array, but regardless you would have to modify them to use different locations so that they wouldn't write over each others data. You'd also have to modify the routine that calls the stage boss AI, because it's set to use a function pointer which can point at one and only one stage boss function. With those two things out of the way, it might be doable. Note that most stage bosses such as Omega and the Core etc also have hardcoded starting points so you would have to modify those as well to make sense in the context of your map.

Ironhead's AI would allow him to still swim (fly) and he would not change the environment into water around him. BUT, he would probably not look right in a UNI mode other than 2 (the zero-g mode you get during the Main Artery fight), because he does odd things once he gets off the screen. Additionally, if I remember right it is his code that spawns the puffer fishes, so you would have those to deal with as well. And the puffer fish are hardcoded to just vanish if they make it further left than a certain hardcoded X position.

Feb 13, 2009 at 9:49 AM
"Huzzah!"
GO BALROG he rocks

Back