Misery

Jan 8, 2008 at 6:57 PM
Respwnt
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Ohk, when I first played though hell and all, I assumed Misery was a good person from a good family forced to do bad stuff as a result of circumstances. But in another thread, andwhy mentioned that Misery made the crown for her own gain (Just use da fuxorin linque). Moreover in many fanfictions, Misery is portrayed as an antagonist. So I want your views on this fuxorin things coz [A] I got nothin better to do and I'll probably try my hand at a CS fanfic.

So, theories to set fire to this thread.

Jan 8, 2008 at 7:19 PM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
Perhaps Misery is just a misunderstood woman with the mindset of a teenager?

Jan 8, 2008 at 8:49 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
DragonBoots said:
Perhaps Misery is just a misunderstood woman with the mindset of a teenager?

This.

CaveStoryYoungMisery.jpg

Jan 8, 2008 at 9:12 PM
Starbound sucked sadly
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Kageryushin said:

where did you find that?
that looks cool XD

Jan 8, 2008 at 10:22 PM
Guy with Sword
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
She is made to do evil things, but it's pretty obvious that she enjoys them.
Misguided, spiteful, ect.

Jan 8, 2008 at 10:29 PM
Sadistic but really just self-serving.

Jan 9, 2008 at 12:12 AM
She automatically comes off as selfish and somewhat sinister, but she really seems to be ultimately misguided. Hell, almost all of her actions throughout the game were technically forced upon her regardless of her own opinion. I really think that she'd only ever get any sadistic pleasure from seeing people who she especially despises getting killed. Why? Just look at the freaking real ending. She could have very easily left Quote and Curly die.

Her greed is apparent at all times due to the fact that it was her who got Ballos to create the Demon Crown in the first place, but from that point onward, all of her offenses were merely the orders she received from her various masters. Of course, why else would Misery want the Demon Crown other than to become queen of the island, but do you think that she would have become an evil queen, or, say, a “naughty” one?

One major event that will definitely play into this argument is the “rape the dog” scene wherein The Doctor, Misery and Balrog finally find the Crimson Flowers in the Sand Zone and force one of the scarlet weeds down Toroko’s throat. Clearly, Misery is pleased when ugly ol’ Date suggests they use a Mimiga as a test subject… Of course, this is instead of using it on herself, a prospect that she had suggested no less than moment ago. Why did she do this? Well, really, she was either obligated to by the power that oppresses her or she became masochistic or suicidal during her long days of enslavement, maybe hoping for some semblance of sweet release. The latter, of course, I find very unlikely unless I forced myself to believe that her name really did apply directly to her. In the case of the more likely “forced by the crown” alternative, she’s almost definitely relieved that she dodged such a huge bullet, and I’d be pretty satisfied with that outcome if I was her too.

Now for the real stake in the heart of the “Misery is a sadistic bitch” theory: if you truly believe that Misery is being intentionally malicious in this scene, Balrog shares this evil. I mean, after all, he’s the one who performed the act in the first place and he showed absolutely no remorse for the act afterwards, at least not on screen. Does this mean Balrog is evil? I laugh at whomever says yes.

Jan 9, 2008 at 6:44 AM
Respwnt
Kageryushin said:
She automatically comes off as selfish and somewhat sinister, but she really seems to be ultimately misguided. Hell, almost all of her actions throughout the game were technically forced upon her regardless of her own opinion. I really think that she'd only ever get any sadistic pleasure from seeing people who she especially despises getting killed. Why? Just look at the freaking real ending. She could have very easily left Quote and Curly die.

Her greed is apparent at all times due to the fact that it was her who got Ballos to create the Demon Crown in the first place, but from that point onward, all of her offenses were merely the orders she received from her various masters. Of course, why else would Misery want the Demon Crown other than to become queen of the island, but do you think that she would have become an evil queen, or, say, a “naughty” one?

One major event that will definitely play into this argument is the “rape the dog” scene wherein The Doctor, Misery and Balrog finally find the Crimson Flowers in the Sand Zone and force one of the scarlet weeds down Toroko’s throat. Clearly, Misery is pleased when ugly ol’ Date suggests they use a Mimiga as a test subject… Of course, this is instead of using it on herself, a prospect that she had suggested no less than moment ago. Why did she do this? Well, really, she was either obligated to by the power that oppresses her or she became masochistic or suicidal during her long days of enslavement, maybe hoping for some semblance of sweet release. The latter, of course, I find very unlikely unless I forced myself to believe that her name really did apply directly to her. In the case of the more likely “forced by the crown” alternative, she’s almost definitely relieved that she dodged such a huge bullet, and I’d be pretty satisfied with that outcome if I was her too.

Now for the real stake in the heart of the “Misery is a sadistic bitch” theory: if you truly believe that Misery is being intentionally malicious in this scene, Balrog shares this evil. I mean, after all, he’s the one who performed the act in the first place and he showed absolutely no remorse for the act afterwards, at least not on screen. Does this mean Balrog is evil? I laugh at whomever says yes.
Wait, Misery made the Crown to become Queen. I thought it was to save the people by sealing the powers of Ballos.

Jan 9, 2008 at 8:01 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Roonil Wazlib said:
Wait, Misery made the Crown to become Queen. I thought it was to save the people by sealing the powers of Ballos.
Also this is my mistake but misery forced ballos to make the crown, not misery herself making it, it says so during the hell run. My bad. :(
But there are such things as shades of grey in life, apart from Balrog. :D Misery made a bad turn in life and suffered for it.

Jan 9, 2008 at 8:38 AM
Justin-chan
Kageryushin said:
*Picture*
BALROG LOOKS LIKE HE IS GETTING HUMPED BY THE DOG OH MAH GAWD BEASTIALITY

Jan 9, 2008 at 9:03 AM
Respwnt
andwhyisit said:
Also this is my mistake but misery forced ballos to make the crown, not misery herself making it, it says so during the hell run. My bad. :(
But there are such things as shades of grey in life, apart from Balrog. :D Misery made a bad turn in life and suffered for it.
But what would Misery gain by the making of the crown? How would it make her the queen?

Jan 9, 2008 at 8:09 PM
Roonil Wazlib said:
But what would Misery gain by the making of the crown? How would it make her the queen?

Well, I'm using "queen" for lack of a better word. Those who possess the Demon Crown gain extraordinary magical powers just by wearing it. Why else would she want it?

Jan 9, 2008 at 9:56 PM
Kageryushin said:
Well, I'm using "queen" for lack of a better word. Those who possess the Demon Crown gain extraordinary magical powers just by wearing it. Why else would she want it?
Vanity?
I mean, it is a stylin' crown...

Jan 10, 2008 at 12:09 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Kageryushin said:
To gain the powers that she felt should have been hers by right of birth, therefore giving her some form of justification for the act. I mean when your family had near godlike powers and you could only throw around thunderbolts, levitate and teleport how would you be?

Jan 10, 2008 at 12:13 AM
Guy with Sword
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Ballos channels his power through the crown. I think he channels a little if his insanity as well, though.

Jan 10, 2008 at 12:28 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
JacobX891 said:
o' course, i'm basing this off of a picture made by someone other than pixel himself (i'm pretty sure), so this assumption is likely to be wrong.
Yep. :D

Jan 10, 2008 at 1:52 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Didn't Pixel say something like he based Misery on an existing anime character? Anybody remember this or know who it is?

I think it was in one of those interviews, he said something like can you guess who it is?
[Edit: Since I can't find the interview I am thinking of, I guess this will have to just be speculation; although I sure thought I remembered reading that somewhere...]

Jan 10, 2008 at 2:05 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
X-Calibar said:
Didn't Pixel say something like he based Misery on an existing anime character? Anybody remember this or know who it is?

I think it was in one of those interviews, he said something like can you guess who it is?
[Edit: Since I can't find the interview I am thinking of, I guess this will have to just be speculation; although I sure thought I remembered reading that somewhere...]
I only know one interview:
http://www.tigsource.com/features/interview_pixel.html

Jan 10, 2008 at 2:17 PM
Luls
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
andwhyisit said:

Well... this may be the answer (its from the link in the quote above. I just read through it and found it lol.)

Code:
TIGSource: The characters in Doukutsu are very memorable. Are any of them inspired by real life people?

Pixel: No, none.

TIGSource: By the way, what is Balrog, exactly? And what is his relation to Pooh Black, since they look so similar?

Pixel: I leave that to the player's imagination.