Misery Died.

Mar 12, 2013 at 12:46 AM
A Reluctant Balrog's Waifu
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Please tell me I'm not the only one that thought that, in the normal ending, Misery was still kicking around, just not shown in the end credits sequence.

miserymisery_zpsaa6e0a73.png

Why must you hurt me in this way.

All of a sudden, the outro with nurse Balrog is decidedly less cute and actually a little melancholy.

Discuss. Did you know about this?

Mar 12, 2013 at 12:52 AM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
This is a conversation with Pixel? He's not that good at English, so if it is, then it might be a translation issue (as usual)

Mar 12, 2013 at 12:59 AM
THE suus
"Keep on rollin'!"
But

She was there in the SG ending

Though, in the normal ending she COULD'VE died, considering balrog and misery were freed when ballos died, it may had some sort of connection to they're lifespan, so i'm not sure.

Mar 12, 2013 at 1:28 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
No, It is not a translation error. He is asking about the normal ending, in which the Island collapses. Not the best ending, where Ballos dies.

Mar 12, 2013 at 3:39 AM
Based Member
Ooooooohhhhhh.......

Well, first off, I sincerely hope that Pixel misunderstood the question due to his not-so-great English.

If not, then...
This is really, really upsetting news to me.

If I turn out to be a dedicated enough modder, I have another mod planned after Curly Brace's Story Revived, which is a normal ending sequel in which both Professor Booster and Curly are dead. And I had planned on having Misery play a very important role, but if the communication in that conversation was sound, then I'm going to have to do some serious re-thinking for the whole thing if I want to still do it and not contradict what Pixel has declared as cannon.

But then that leads me to ask: What events in the good ending that don't transpire in the normal ending save Misery, or vice versa? When the Undead core gets destroyed, Misery falls unconscious in both paths, and once it fades back to the Black Space after showing Itoh and Momorin, Misery is gone. So what ever happened to her, she couldn't have been crushed by the Black Space collapsing, because she isn't there. Even then, it would be a stretch to say that she was killed by the island collapsing, because the ending scenes show all of the areas pretty much intact and everyone okay, even in the normal ending. And seeing the witch Misery is, it seems like she could take care of herself in a situation where the island is unstable. Seeing that she's not in the Black space when Quote and Sue come to, she probably regained consciousness before they did, and left the scene. So if she was killed, she died after she voluntarily left the black space. I'm seeing zero explanation whatsoever on how Misery could possibly have been killed.

Mar 12, 2013 at 5:52 AM
HaydenStudios said:
Ooooooohhhhhh.......

Well, first off, I sincerely hope that Pixel misunderstood the question due to his not-so-great English.

If not, then...
This is really, really upsetting news to me.

If I turn out to be a dedicated enough modder, I have another mod planned after Curly Brace's Story Revived, which is a normal ending sequel in which both Professor Booster and Curly are dead. And I had planned on having Misery play a very important role, but if the communication in that conversation was sound, then I'm going to have to do some serious re-thinking for the whole thing if I want to still do it and not contradict what Pixel has declared as cannon.

But then that leads me to ask: What events in the good ending that don't transpire in the normal ending save Misery, or vice versa? When the Undead core gets destroyed, Misery falls unconscious in both paths, and once it fades back to the Black Space after showing Itoh and Momorin, Misery is gone. So what ever happened to her, she couldn't have been crushed by the Black Space collapsing, because she isn't there. Even then, it would be a stretch to say that she was killed by the island collapsing, because the ending scenes show all of the areas pretty much intact and everyone okay, even in the normal ending. And seeing the witch Misery is, it seems like she could take care of herself in a situation where the island is unstable. Seeing that she's not in the Black space when Quote and Sue come to, she probably regained consciousness before they did, and left the scene. So if she was killed, she died after she voluntarily left the black space. I'm seeing zero explanation whatsoever on how Misery could possibly have been killed.
Is it possible that Quote fighting her after she was transformed (and this was the second fight with her) weakened her enough to have her die, whereas in the "Good/True" ending, defeating Ballos and freeing her is what allows her to survive?

Mar 12, 2013 at 6:02 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Wait, Wut? Honestly, I haven't played the normal ending (Or best for that fact) in forever... (Darn you Hayden for creating 4th ending Cs...) I do hope that it was a translation burp that happened between you and Pixel. Otherwise, It does make the scene with Nurse-Balrog a whole lot different. (Knowing that Misery is Dead and Balrog's still kicking...) Thinking about it for a quick minute, I wonder if she Killed herself knowing that Quote (or someone else possibly) could never break the curse of the Crown. (Either that, or Date's words got the better of her. "Misery, Until the day you die, you WILL be my puppet...") Misery wasn't high on my favorite Characters (Mainly Sandzone Warehouse stuff) for some reason, but I had my respect for her. (After I found out that she was cursed for so many years) Knowing this now, I feel kinda bad for Misery...

Mar 12, 2013 at 9:30 AM
/end
I am always the type to only believe what I see and not add on my own head-canon, so the fact that Misery was never shown again in the normal ending always led me to believe she possibly died.

Mar 12, 2013 at 2:17 PM
Rubyyoshi said:
Wait, Wut? Honestly, I haven't played the normal ending (Or best for that fact) in forever... (Darn you Hayden for creating 4th ending Cs...) I do hope that it was a translation burp that happened between you and Pixel. Otherwise, It does make the scene with Nurse-Balrog a whole lot different. (Knowing that Misery is Dead and Balrog's still kicking...) Thinking about it for a quick minute, I wonder if she Killed herself knowing that Quote (or someone else possibly) could never break the curse of the Crown. (Either that, or Date's words got the better of her. "Misery, Until the day you die, you WILL be my puppet...") Misery wasn't high on my favorite Characters (Mainly Sandzone Warehouse stuff) for some reason, but I had my respect for her. (After I found out that she was cursed for so many years) Knowing this now, I feel kinda bad for Misery...
:( Mad feels.

MetaSeraphim said:
I am always the type to only believe what I see and not add on my own head-canon, so the fact that Misery was never shown again in the normal ending always led me to believe she possibly died.
See, this is the main reason why I don't chalk it up to misunderstanding/translation error. I was aware that she's not seen at all in the normal ending, so it's entirely believable.

Mar 12, 2013 at 2:42 PM
THE suus
"Keep on rollin'!"
I try not to get upset about it, cause although cave story consists of multiple canons, the main canon would be the one we all come back to. :p

king and toroko still die, damnit pixel.

Mar 12, 2013 at 3:19 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
I feel like pixel made this on the spot or, at least sometime after cave story came out. If not he whould have definitely shown her dead in the credits.

Mar 12, 2013 at 4:39 PM
Professional Whatever
Why? Then it wouldn't be mysterious. The fact that this conversation is going on means that you're entranced in the details of his story, which makes you appreciate the game more (probably) and makes you dwell on this game for longer (as opposed to a lot of other games which you think about for two minutes after you beat it and then move to another game).

Mar 12, 2013 at 6:18 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
MagicDoors said:
Why? Then it wouldn't be mysterious. The fact that this conversation is going on means that you're entranced in the details of his story, which makes you appreciate the game more (probably) and makes you dwell on this game for longer (as opposed to a lot of other games which you think abut for two minutes after you beat it and then move to another game).
Loved your response on this. (It did for me) I actually played through Cave Story (again) purposely getting the normal ending. (No saving Curly or Booster) I kinda felt horrible about myself since I haven't seen the dialogue in forever. (Also seeing the deaths...) The main reason why I did, is because I was positive that Misery showed up somewhere in the normal ending. But alas, She does not, meaning that she could have died in the black space, or somewhere else. It was also a good experience for me to find some of the great lines in Cave Story.

Hidden text highlight (or click) to view:

Something I never knew until this play-through. After reaching the Pre-fab house with Booster V0.8, checking Booster's journal will say something like this. "I only assume V2.0 will be created as long as I live long enough..." Then there is a slight pause, then the message box with no border shows up on top saying: "As long as I live..." It blew my mind reading that...

Mar 13, 2013 at 6:08 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Misery dead? How?

If you ignore her during the Undead Core battle, but use SUPER MISSILES and a fully charged SPUR to finish off Sue, she lives.
So...

Ignoring Misery during the battle, and she just dies off randomly?
If the whole island crumbles and is destroyed when it crashes into the ground, I guess it's possible...
Though, the cutscenes at the end looked like things were fine enough...

Well, the Creator isn't killing Misery on my watch!
As I see it, maybe Misery passes away from being transformed/Quote picking on her/being buried alive/by choice.
BUT, like that cursed Crown, as long as the curse exists; it will eventually come to exist again. Maybe not today or tomorrow,
maybe another ten years... maybe then, another Misery will be floating in a bubble, with vague memories of what happened back then.

What WAS Misery's wish anyways? (reason for the crown's creation)

Mar 13, 2013 at 6:43 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
MagicDoors said:
Why? Then it wouldn't be mysterious. The fact that this conversation is going on means that you're entranced in the details of his story, which makes you appreciate the game more (probably) and makes you dwell on this game for longer (as opposed to a lot of other games which you think about for two minutes after you beat it and then move to another game).
I know that but I think it whould have been implied more.

X-Calibar said:
What WAS Misery's wish anyways? (reason for the crown's creation)
She could have been seeking arcane knowledge, world domination, a way to bribe someone, or possibly the reason for the crown, a masterwork of arcane energy, was so she could mind control people, thus being able to skip the line and not have to pay at her favorite hamburger restaurant (or mabe comic book store)

Mar 13, 2013 at 6:04 PM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
So many things died when the Island fell, I assumed every main character not explicitly shown as alive died in the crash, since the credits are basically "characters after the island" themed.
I guess this is just confirmation.
I still wonder about Curly Brace, I'm assuming she died too, being knocked out in Hell and all that.

Mar 13, 2013 at 6:23 PM
Professional Whatever
Thing is, Misery can fly. I doubt she'd just sit on the Island and wait for death when she could fly off the Island and stay safe.
I suppose if she was knocked out from the Core fight then she wouldn't be able to do that though.

Mar 13, 2013 at 7:57 PM
Based Member
cultr1 said:
So many things died when the Island fell, I assumed every main character not explicitly shown as alive died in the crash, since the credits are basically "characters after the island" themed.
That's quite an extrapolation, I think.
cultr1 said:
I guess this is just confirmation.
No, that's just knowing about one particular case.

All of those areas shown with the characters alive also show the areas they're in completely intact. If those areas we see didn't take any damage, how are all the others that weren't shown any different? I'm not saying nobody was killed or injured at all, but I think you're speculating quite a lot to think that those are the ONLY people and places that survived. The damage clearly wasn't that catastrophic at all, so all the areas that aren't shown probably didn't suffer much more damage, if any. If those were the only people who survived, then who planted all those flowers we see in the graveyard? I'd be surprised if they grew naturally. The Mimiga village probably became re-inhabited, and a time of peace came about. And in that time of peace, I think the Mimigas, no longer under the oppression of the Doctor, planted those flowers to honor those who died during the struggle against him.

Also, for all we know, the island might have landed on water. I know it shows it behind trees, but those trees looked like they were much closer up than the island, and we didn't hear the crash until after the island visually went out of sight beneath them, so those trees could have been hiding the ocean far off behind them. The sound that plays is a bit ambiguous on whether or not it landed in water, so it's not impossible. And considering that this is an island, it is entirely possible that the island was its own body of land out in the ocean separate from all others long ago, but then was magically levitated by a witch (Jenka maybe?) to keep something on it from harming or coming to the attention of the rest of the surface (Perhaps, Ballos' uncontrollable rage?). If the island landed on the ocean, then that could explain why the impact didn't kill everyone on it, and all the areas shown didn't suffer any damage.
cultr1 said:
I still wonder about Curly Brace, I'm assuming she died too, being knocked out in Hell and all that.
I will agree with you on that, though. If Quote leaves her to stay in Sacred Grounds B1, she probably does die.

Though it is debatable whether or not every circumstance of saving Curly from drowning causes her to go up to the Sacred grounds and get immobilized. For example, what if you save her from drowning, but don't restore her memory? Will she get out of bed soon enough then? If so, where would she go? If not, would she be safe in that crevice, or would she be more vulnerable there and get crushed? I'm not sure if her fate would be the same under those circumstances. What about if you leave her in the waterway cabin? I bet that the reason she got amnesia was not because of drowning in the Core room, but because of being fully exposed to water again for a lengthy period of time when she gets separated with Quote in the Waterway after defeating Ironhead. And I also believe this because she remembered when talking to Quote before her nap, so why would a simple rebooting wipe her memory? If she stayed in the Waterway cabin, when would she wake up? Would she wake up before too much goes on and go looking for the Colons and not bump into Quote? Or would she sleep through the whole Undead Core battle? If so, would she be safe in the Waterway cabin, and wake up and find her way out after the island is on the surface, or would she get killed there by the room collapsing or something? OR, what if you save her from drowning and restore her memory, but don't take the Iron Bond? Not a lot is different under these circumstances from when she goes up, so it probably isn't too unreasonable of a guess that she goes up to the Sacred Grounds and dies if you do everything except take the Iron Bond, but we can't know for sure.

So many different possible fates for Curly, and we can only be certain of two of them...
MagicDoors said:
Thing is, Misery can fly. I doubt she'd just sit on the Island and wait for death when she could fly off the Island and stay safe.
My thoughts exactly. If all these people with little to no powers or survival skills were okay, then why wasn't a decent witch such as Misery?
MagicDoors said:
I suppose if she was knocked out from the Core fight then she wouldn't be able to do that though.
If anything, it's definitely not that.
HaydenStudios said:
When the Undead core gets destroyed, Misery falls unconscious in both paths, and once it fades back to the Black Space after showing Itoh and Momorin, Misery is gone. So what ever happened to her, she couldn't have been crushed by the Black Space collapsing, because she isn't there.

Mar 14, 2013 at 4:19 AM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
I'd like to mention that in the good ending, the island stops falling. Misery is alive then, and conscious. How then could she have died from the island falling? Nothing is different between the good and normal endings until the island stops falling in the good ending. There's no reason she couldn't have escaped in that time, what with her powers of flight and teleportation. I go with what I said earlier and think that Pixel just made it up on the spot. That's not canon if it contradicts the game itself.