• SeasonsofDestiny - "Introspection"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • X-Calibar - "Cursed Lands"

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Apr 5, 2018 at 4:32 PM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
The submission era has officially begun! You have three options on where to submit your level:

1. This very thread
2. The #submissions channel in the MaGCSL server
3. For those who wish to submit their level anonymously, email it to anonlevels@tlinkan.x10.mx

Good luck!

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2018 at 4:52 AM
War criminal
Attention, everyone! You all have one week remaining until the contest is over! Now don't panic, you still have plenty of time to make sure your levels are in a top-notch, presentable quality before submitting it in! In case anyone who still wishes to enter but haven't started on their level yet (and for those who like to live dangerously), we are allowing last minute levels as well!

Time will be up at April 15th, 11:59pm MST (UTC-7)! We hope to see your works next week!

Apr 15, 2018 at 1:00 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
1 1/4 days remaining. I'm excited to see these levels!

Apr 16, 2018 at 6:33 AM
War criminal
In case anyone is worried about having only 30 minutes left before the contest ends... You don't
p363690-0-i9q5kh.png

Just to clear something up that has been a concern today.

Apr 16, 2018 at 6:59 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
More time? Hmm...

Eh... well... here it is: very unfinished, but *should* work.
Had to gut stuff for various reasons. (Did everything have to be mapped to variables? Or was that supposed to be for custom content? Had to delete some TSC to fit it.)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fl0jhsfyxnzfpnc/X-Calibar.zip?dl=0

EDIT:
Oh, how I had it setup poses an issue:
<FL+3381<TRA0002:0090:0002:0216
Need that flag and those coordinates to probably not break it in the hub event...

EDIT after deadline:
Oh, didn't include a list of flags...
though I have an event in X-Calibar1.tsc that removes all of them to return to the hub #0500
Flags I use are 3333 through 3378
I also had a copy of the weapon's room removal flags in that event... which includes 5900 - 5909. Not that I use them in my mod... Hm... probably can't edit the zip now, so putting it here.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2018 at 8:22 AM
War criminal
And the contest is officially over (with a late announcement, too!) With an amount of 5 entries turned in, it doesn't seem much at first, but we do appreciate everyone's time for entering the contest and for the submissions we received! The compiled mod to be used for judge ranking and community ranking will be released later this week for everybody to try!

While the contest itself has been a mess, we do hope to improve upon a lot of stuff for the next level making contest! MaGCSL 2019 confirmed!
Thank you all for your understanding and we hope to see you all next year!

Apr 26, 2018 at 4:00 AM
War criminal
Apologies for the wait, but the levels-only mod has been finished! Judges will have a month to evaluate the levels, we will also put up a poll on which level is everyone's favorite, too! Have fun!
http://tlinkan.x10.mx/magcsl/MaGCSL Levels.zip

EDIT:
There is an oversight while fixing everything up, but the mod otherwise doesn't have any bugs listed in them, so that oversight will be patched up while the initial download is still available. Oversight is fixed! Just click on the same link as above! :p

<ITJ hotfix has been uploaded!

Several bugs have been fixed, and now the Teleporter Room includes Debug Cat to help turn the player back to Quote for those who have been using the same save files for the mods they were playing in and came across the mychar and physics bugs after finishing the levels!

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2018 at 12:46 AM
Soup Man
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
Do the elements do anything. I actually don't recall getting any elements in the levels I played/saw.

Apr 27, 2018 at 1:32 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
For those who missed it or didn't know, our good pal @duncathan streamed the mod the other day. It was a good time. Here are the vods on Twitch:
Part 1 (Introspection, Imsiemer's Odyssey)
Part 2 (The Challenge Pyramid, Cursed Lands, The Raven)

I haven't played through the levels myself, but I would at least like to make some brief comments on the levels from what I saw.
First of all, it was great to see all of the levels of those who participated. There was a little something unique in each level. It's great to have fun, humble forum events like this every now and again.

Introspection looked to me like the most solid all-around entry. Great aesthetics, pleasing dialog, fitting (vanilla) music, and solid gimmicks/level work. Given what I saw on stream, it seemed the only sticking point was the boss fight that dunc got frustrated with, but even if the fight was a bit too difficult, it's not insurmountable by any means. Maybe I'd have to play it to really understand for myself, but either way I doubt that it brings the mod down by that much.

Imsiemer's Odyssey is a very curious beast. It's long... ridiculously long. I suppose that can be either a good thing or a bad thing depending on how you feel about the way the levels were laid out. It seemed somewhat Metroidvania-esque, which is a great idea in Cave Story, I feel; however, the aesthetics didn't seem to do a good job in differentiating various areas of the map (I was always confused as to if dunc was making progress or not), and that's compounded by the fact that the maps are so big. There was a big map of the layout that showed the level at various points, so that definitely helps mitigate the problem. The ORGs were quite nice all around, and the story was super intriguing to me, though you'd probably have to have some knowledge of the forum's history to enjoy it as much as I did. Overall, there were some questionable decisions, but there was definitely a lot of positive in this entry.

Cursed Lands... well, dunc didn't really get to play this one much. He kinda quit once he realized that it was unfinished. If anything, it looked like a good ol' mess of chaotic fun, given the physics, weapons, and health! But it was also confusing and seemed to be difficult to navigate. I'm curious how this entry is supposed to work, and what the rest of it looks like past the beginning bits.

The Raven looked good. It was hard to gauge the mod based on dunc's previous knowledge of it, but there were a handful of neat things I liked. The graphics were pleasant, and the ORGs were catchy and fit the mood well. Plus, the (secret?) fight at the end was impressive and looked like a lot of fun. To me, the mod ultimately comes down to how obtuse the puzzles are. I heard of troubles progressing in this entry, and even dunc seemed to be confused despite prior knowledge of it. The light/dark world mechanic is a very smart one that I'm happy to see utilized here. I just hope that the puzzles are truly manageable coming into it blind. If they are, this definitely stands as one of the greater entries.

And, of course, I gotta comment on dunc's playthrough of my entry, The Challenge Pyramid. I feel that this is a make-or-break entry depending on what loadout you choose. Dunc finished the campaign with the Blade and the Horizontal Boost, and it's clear to me now that I wasn't quite able to properly balance the Labyrinth enemies in level 2 with the short range of the Blade and volatility of the Horizontal Boost. The Labyrinth enemies do a lot of damage, and it's cumbersome to fight them up close with the Blade without falling victim to collision damage. It didn't help that I accidentally left a pit too big to jump out of in the water! Oops. It's unfortunate I wasn't able to balance that path properly, but on the bright side, that's only one of six possible second levels you can get (and I at least feel that the Blade's double jump path is better balanced around the Labyrinth enemies). I haven't seen other people play the other levels, so perhaps I made poor decisions elsewhere, but I am at least of the opinion that this is an overall solid entry to the contest. Hope y'all enjoy it. It's good to be making mods again ;)

Apr 27, 2018 at 4:52 AM
Indie game enthusiast
Some reason updated versions keep rolling back changes on Cursed Lands.
You can tell if it's incorrect if you have 130 hp, instead of 128 hp.

Thank you Serri!

I recorded a video of how the mod *could* be played. In case you'd rather just see it:

@Tpcool - I'm glad you mentioned Dunc's video! That's the first time I've seen someone play it :)

Some notes and my level in a nutshell:
Where to begin...

It's very depressing to always come up short.

Well, here's what I wrote when I posted the youtube video on the 20th:

"A mod I (X-Calibar) was creating for the Make a Good Cave Story Level contest on the Cave Story Tribute Site Forums. I didn't finish it in time... But, I submitted it, and this is what I submitted at the very last minute!

This should be playable as part of the MaGCSL contest mod that should come out soon. The mod stops at part 6 of 16 of the first area. So there was a long way to go... Still... enjoy!

There are some different choices you can make, and different actions you can take that lead to different outcomes. But, this was the most positive route.

Oh, some things broke for this demo. Had to eliminate things to meet the requirements, like only 3 or 4 portraits... Kazuma's face got removed at the end for instance lol. Some songs and some easter eggs removed too. But, still some secrets remain.

No graphics were changed for this mod... not at this point.

Will I continue? Well... I guess that depends if people hate it or want more. It's disappointing that I didn't finish it in time for the contest, but not unexpected for someone who never releases mods.

What was I thinking with the first area? I wanted to give the player the feeling of being nearly invincible. A true power house like you see in anime. One person wiping away the undead occupying the town ruins.
The next part is supposed to give you a chance to explore the ruins and look in doors, but that didn't make the cut. And talking to the hermit is supposed to give you the first hint of a backstory.

The second under well area, is pretty bonkers. It's supposed to end up being a test of character. The boss didn't make the demo though ... :/"

Anyway, it's my fault for not asking questions about the whole process. I let myself believe I couldn't add custom orgs, graphics, etc after the poll/submitting period. So instead I focused on trying to be creative with the vanilla materials:

I came up with lots of interesting things to try; a few brand new things I've never seen in any mod, but in the end only a fraction was used. About 6 parts out of 16 planned for the first area. And that doesn't even touch on the second "level" where it was actually supposed to start being challenging.

You were to start out as a nearly invincible hero with speed and agility, but slowly and surely by the end you'd lose it all.

Spent too much time doing other things... sigh

The other entries are great btw! Maybe I'll write some reactions when not depressed~

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2018 at 7:03 AM
War criminal
Apologies for the wait, but I realized that x10hosting was being gay and didn't update the file to the new version, and had it stuck on the older version! I am very sorry for that inconvenience, and I've now made sure the files in the download are the right ones, this time!

Apr 27, 2018 at 8:02 PM
Eevee Enthusiast
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
I might as well play through the official public release and post my thoughts on the levels before I start cramming for my Contracts and Law exam. I was originally going to try to fit all of my notes and thoughts into a single post, but after starting with Insiemer's Odyssey I see that was a pipe dream. The other levels should theoretically fit into one post, though, so expect that sometime later today or tomorrow.

Alright, I think I'll go from left to right. Incidentally, that means the first one will be Insiemer's Odyssey.

p363877-0-4ufk5ca.png

this facepic still weirds me out

p363877-1-s7mh4kd.png

I'm very much not a fan of this boss fight. The inverted ravils leaps are much more unpredictable when they hop up the blocks, and a single hit will delevel your Polar Star unless you get really lucky with how the weapon energy spawned above the arena falls. In regards to the deleveling, giving the player an Arms Barrier definitely would have helped. The only way I've found to consistently beat it without getting hit is to just camp on top of the platform I'm standing on now.

There don't seem to be any skipflags either, because softresetting sends me back to before I picked up the Polar Star.

I do want to say that I like the ORGs that have been playing so far. Always been a fan of Kid Icarus's Underworld theme, and the Kero Blaster one is well-done.

p363877-2-exzj3ol.png

The tiling for this first map, though, is... interesting. A bit confused why it looks like it does, but at least it gives you a chance to do things like putting different tiles underneath important things like Life Capsules.

It bothers me how the map by default is almost directly at the entity limit; takes a couple kills for enemies to start dropping weapon energy and health, as well as for fire whirrs to shoot. I think it could have been easily avoided by using less fuzz cores.

p363877-3-cpkylst.png

I don't know if this was an intentional sequence break or not, but I still love how you can do this to get a Life Capsule early.

Also, why do the fuzz cores respawn when you backtrack to the first save, but not the fire whirrs? I don't mind the fact that the much more dangerous whirrs are gone, but it's odd how the respawning only applies to some enemies.

p363877-4-cuqbdsf.png

I can't remember ever seeing a mod give the player a map made out of tiles before, but why couldn't you have just given us a Map System?

p363877-5-8u5gwge.png

:b:

p363877-6-e81obhm.png

It would have been nice if there was a red tile underneath the Life Capsule here to hint that there was something hidden in the wall. I know Dunc accidentally passed by it twice before finally shooting the right block.

Oh yeah, and why didn't you use <RMU anywhere? I've noticed that the background music always starts over when you collect something.

p363877-7-jicxjc8.png

Not too much of a fan how you have to cross over this pit twice from the looks of the map you gave us earlier. One slip, and you have to make the incredibly long trek back. At that point, you would be better off just softresetting from a save that's probably up here.

p363877-8-9lhn2xf.png

i have a MIGHTY NEED

p363877-9-uffslkb.png

yes

Making a mistake and losing all that progress is not fun, but at least in this case I get rewarded for choosing to throw away that progress. Rewarded rather well, at that.

p363877-10-hnvgowh.png

I also really like how you cheekily place a map in here to show the player the consequences of what they just did.

p363877-11-awgrwvl.png

There are so many entities in this map that fuzz cores are spawning with limited to no fuzzes. Really could've cut down on them to avoid this problem.

p363877-12-caad4lc.png

:a:

p363877-13-mvt2gsy.png

The background tiles here are a bit screwy.

p363877-14-rejh2nl.png

At least this is the last part where you can fall down to the very bottom.

p363877-15-bd9mfnf.png

finally
a chance to fight these things on equal footing

p363877-16-ojlr1z2.png

I just realized that the colors of these ravils were quite literally inverted. That means their faces are the black that Cave Story displays as transparent. Probably should've looked into that.

p363877-17-wjqrbhg.png

Getting some deja vu here...

Good thing the Fireball mostly trivializes the ravils. In other news, SHOTGUN!

p363877-18-ker34hg.png

:regional_indicator_o:

p363877-19-ncmdhds.png

:regional_indicator_n:

BAON?

p363877-20-sxs6yvt.png

Fun fact: If you use the Shotgun to go really, REALLY quickly while the ending dialogue of this map plays, you can get through the ending HV trigger while the text is still running. Thankfully, you made the hole here impossible for the player to pass through. Good job!

p363877-21-qvkjsdj.png

You do know you were supposed to make ONE level for this contest, right? Combine this not-title screen with the fact that it took me over an hour to get through that first map, and I've come to believe that you tried to squish an entire mod into four maps. I really think the first map in general could have been shortened a TON while still keeping in the various challenges the player had to face; it felt like a lot of my time was just spent walking around.
also hi blink

p363877-22-cun2zwi.png

Are you sure?

p363877-23-burlixs.png

There is an extra space between "would" and "be".

p363877-24-v5o5vna.png

Okay, your rewarding of the player for trying to explore is ON POINT.

oh
invisible wall
Well, at least now I know it's there.

p363877-25-3kkoqjk.png

understandable
have a nice day

p363877-26-fxyuhit.png

hmmmm

p363877-27-u17qubt.png

rad
I know this isn't your fault specifically, but I feel that the Bomb Launcher is much worse than the Missile Launcher due to how its projectiles don't seem to explode on contact with an entity.

p363877-28-ghsrzgw.png

I love you, Shotgun.

p363877-29-slpe1c4.png

whoa, hey jett
when did you get here?

p363877-30-wktlors.png

oh what the heck
it was nothing??

p363877-31-ribikja.png

and another
what in the world

p363877-32-rmz8ffr.png

egg

p363877-33-7iqdvcc.png

good to see you too, cthulhu

p363877-34-ocaduhd.png

peekaboo, i see you

p363877-35-arbspq2.png

i want to talk to you, sir and/or miss

p363877-36-hqox2uc.png

ohh BABY, now we're talkin'

p363877-37-edfpomg.png

I highly disapprove of how this beetle was chilling here to smack me with an unavoidable 2 damage.

p363877-38-mdvj2fd.png

Hello person whose name I keep finding on the Snake!

p363877-39-19cobxq.png

even meme cat is here
what are the odds?

p363877-40-6isc1mo.png

*notices*

p363877-41-yfm8ofa.png

aw c'mon
I bet this led to Debug Cat, too.

p363877-42-huyplhq.png

never change, mahin

p363877-43-nkajam4.png

STOP TAUNTING ME, SMILING WOOD

p363877-44-pyxkjwy.png

Finally, a change in scenery. Just how tall was this hotel, anyways?

p363877-45-jmnoqh8.png

Reminder to not put slopes on top of each other like at the end of this little cave. It lets you walk up into the other slope.

p363877-46-nocekgs.png

the smiling wood
what does it mean??

p363877-47-7txwzx9.png

Very flat tiling here.

p363877-48-gvyya3u.png

uhhhhh
What? I watched Dunc's stream, and this didn't happen to him.

One softreset later...

p363877-49-h924f23.png

whoa, what are YOU TWO doing here??

It was too quick to catch with a screenshot, but there was a poof of smoke when Khan turned around. I can tell you used tiles for Khan, so I recommend in the future that you <DNA0004 (delete all smoke) when you do these kinds of changes. It'll change the tile, but remove the smoke made by the <CMP.

p363877-50-hipes4w.png

my favorite kind of shark

p363877-51-y5eoslg.png

This is VERY red.

p363877-52-9kux8li.png

I just realized something. Since the Shotgun and Booster v2.0 are optional, jumps like these would be flat out impossible if you missed both.

p363877-53-zdfzu05.png

oh shoot, nice

p363877-54-awlihbg.png

Again with putting beetles directly onto the doorway, though this time I think both were able to touch the door.

p363877-55-y7frljj.png

I really wish you could talk with these two.

p363877-56-m7pf7cz.png

oh dear
Looks like you missed a spot where you can leave the map.

p363877-57-fvzdkd6.png

You really needed to use <MM0 for these cutscenes. The Shotgun, Booster v2.0, and floaty physics make it very easy to slide past them.

This Technomancer guy also moves forward one pixel when he blinks.

p363877-58-n04dcrt.png

I made it to around here before the first message regarding General Mitch and the omnipresent ended, and now the second message hasn't started. I would have to go back to the beginning of this hallway to start it. This place wasn't designed with the Booster v2.0 in mind.

p363877-59-3bdnxh1.png

and now general cat man himself

p363877-60-imop0xc.png

I seem to have softlocked for no reason.

A softreset fixed it, but still.

p363877-61-q6ffuiw.png

Given what I've seen already from Dunc's stream, I can say right now that this part of the mod is definitely not made with the Teleport Nemesis in mind. It's more a liability than anything.

p363877-62-nb0zowr.png

1. The tileset was not arranged with the falling blocks taken into account, so they all look glitched.
2. This part of the mod is very, VERY not fun thanks to the blocks becoming unreactably fast in some parts.

p363877-63-fxirduh.png

Oh, and these falling spikes blend in with the foreground shade of red until they activate, which is when they switch to the foreground shade of red. Why not just keep it bright red ALL the time?

Oh yeah, and good luck leveling up any of your weapons in that segment. You give the player a bunch of small weapon energy capsules, yeah, but the blocks shave off 20 weapon energy each time you get hit due to a lack of the Arms Barrier.

p363877-64-iku9jkm.png

time to fight ballos with level 1 everything

p363877-65-giv9fyn.png

This room also wasn't designed with the Ballos AI in mind, so these lightning attacks hit somewhere way further up instead of down here.

p363877-66-dzrcpuo.png

all it took was 50 level 1 super missiles and some teleporter nemesis shots

and then they all exploded
but... why would they willingly kill themselves even if it meant killing everyone else?
this makes no sense

p363877-67-0gabahy.png

This sentence is also worded very awkwardly.

And there's the end. After some credits, of course.
... but no Energy Element?
I think I'll point out the elephant in the room now: it's way, way, WAY too long. It was strongly recommended that we kept our levels at around 20 minutes or less in length, yet my total playtime for Insiemer's Odyssey was around a whopping 2 hours and 20 minutes. This probably could have been passed off as its own mod entirely if it was submitted to another contest.

Still, I think the amount of content in the mod shows that you really tried with this one. The aesthetics of the first map were a bit off-putting for me, but I really liked the hotel map; in the case of the hotel, I had a lot of fun exploring with the Shotgun to get bonuses that seemed to be meant for after you got the Booster v2.0. The noisy design of the factory combined with how everything bled together was a bit of a downer compared to the hotel, and I don't like how some bonuses seem to be impossible to get without the Shotgun or Booster v2.0, both of which being missable. One common problem the maps share, though, is how empty they are. It was most apparent in the first map, but it felt like a lot of my time was spent walking and falling. I think the level would have been better off if the maps were shrunk down to something more managable.

The story was a fair bit confusing, though I started to grasp it once I got to the later parts of the level. I think it would have helped you tremendously if you sprinkled out bits of exposition throughout the maps instead of condensing them into very sporadic cutscenes. It certainly would have alleviated the aforementioned emptiness of the levels.

I think the worst part of the mod was the segment where you play as Khan. I later learned that the softlock I hit was fixed in a later build, but it was still very unenjoyable due to usually unavoidable damage caused by the falling blocks. They shaved off massive chunks of weapon energy, too, thanks to no Arms Barrier; I had to fight Ballos with all my weapons at level 1 unless I wanted to grind and get lucky with the falling blocks before the boss.

Oh yeah, and no Energy Element when you beat the level. Kinda needed to do that as per the contest instructions.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2018 at 10:54 PM
Professional Whatever
quick note, he did actually use <RMU, i changed it because it was causing weird conflicts with the game

Apr 28, 2018 at 2:27 AM
Eevee Enthusiast
Took a bit longer than I expected it to, but I finished the rest of the levels! My notes and thoughts for the rest, excluding my own, can be found below:

Ignoring my own entry, up next is The Raven by Slither.

p363882-0-nnbebii.png

The background bothers me slightly, though I can't put my finger on the exact reason. I really like the tiles, though.

p363882-1-rjfiy5n.png

Oooh, fancy cutscene! However, I think it is missing something. It wasn't immediately clear that I had to press a key to advance, so some kind of "Z to advance" in one of the corners would have been appreciated.

Also, near the end of the cutscene the girl disappears with a <WAI instead of a <NOD. Consistency would have been preferred.

p363882-2-fmfoio9.png

I'm slightly disappointed that these enemies don't have any changed sprites. Not necessarily a bad thing, mind, but with the new background and tiles I was expecting them to be changed as well. Some crystalized growths akin to the girl's, perhaps?

p363882-3-yb2oq6v.png

my brain says no, but my thirst for loot says YES

p363882-4-uwjpt8h.png

I like how you hold the item over your head Zelda-style, though a short Item Get jingle would have been neat.

i killed a bat and the level roared at me
sorry??

p363882-5-riayeme.png

one poke of the crystal, and i turn into a furry
goddam- ohhey, the element

p363882-6-rrqrnq8.png

oof
I think it would have been a better idea to not have a background for this little room if it meant the spikes' backgrounds had to be in the foreground like this.

p363882-7-pjip6vp.png

first try
i'm fast as fuck boiii

p363882-8-3796hxo.png

oh snap
FIREBALL GET

p363882-9-5td6f2w.png

and now not-furry me gets the fireball
A bit irked by losing my weapon energy each time I go to the bunny dimension and back, but I guess it's more of a system limitation than anything. At least the Fireball does existing amounts of damage at level 1.

p363882-10-r7tuotv.png

B U R N
Also that life pickup's tile reappeared, though it isn't interactable anymore.

p363882-11-wocvtaq.png

slither i swear to god

p363882-12-dsimclk.png

Interesting how these small crystals only heal me back to 10.

p363882-13-qntoqvp.png

A bit unclear what the player has to do here. As I said in Discord, it would have been great if there was some kind of crystal above each pressure plate that lit up if you were correct.

oh no oh jeez
this puzzle is making me feel like a brainlet again

p363882-14-yokevyw.png

As I brute force this puzzle, I've come to realize that having some kind of unique tile for these fan tiles would have been nice.

The answer:
5 1
3 6
2 4

p363882-15-3zzokqc.png

what in tarnation

p363882-16-nsvky7g.png

i was too busy panicking to capture it, but Crystal Girl zapped the jellies (and almost me) when i went down to fight them
thanks?

p363882-17-8tmm7oi.png

DOUBLE JUMP SOCKS GET

p363882-18-ktfln0w.png

walked over here and proceeded to hear a copious amount of buttwhupping
that's my job, smh

p363882-19-ti6au1s.png

i uh
woops

I killed a critter in the room below with the Fireball. Then the forcefield reappeared on top of me. I can walk through it like this, thankfully, though I would be boned if I were one tile to the left.

... and you can hit the bat in that room with the Fireball, which DID softlock me.

p363882-20-ippjec9.png

Having to lead critters around so you can kill them in specific areas is a pretty cool idea.

p363882-21-lpursyx.png

aw fuck
i can't believe you've done this

Given how you told me via Discord that you didn't anticipate this, I don't know whether to call this a cheeky trap or a softlock. To be safe, I'll call it both.

p363882-22-jacq4dg.png

ha, eat my shorts
I'm surprised I caught onto the puzzle's solution as quickly as I did.

p363882-23-thyteem.png

well, this is going to be an experience

p363882-24-vqvdep2.png

not even close baybee
INVISIBLE BOOSTER v2.0 GET

p363882-25-dilzdlv.png

oh dear

p363882-26-ghomt7a.png

oh dear x2
though this one was admittedly a lot harder to do, needing a damage boost off of a bat

p363882-27-mrsnacn.png

I both appreciate the obviousness of the hidden passage here and wish that it was a little more vague.

p363882-28-ckyqoug.png

booyah

p363882-29-tjrbv2s.png

ANTI-BUNNY PILL GET
Also I think it would have been a better idea to hold off on adding the player's weapons until after they flashed back to normal.

p363882-30-do8hvy1.png

well that's weird

p363882-31-xobmgpb.png

I think you accidentally put a critter into the slope here.

p363882-32-gvupxd2.png

am in wall
send help

p363882-33-u3vt3mz.png

I thought I was being clever when I shot a Fireball at that switch and then boosted downwards... and then I softlocked.

p363882-34-fzczimu.png

For some reason, that switch in the lower right only wanted to turn green when the level layout was a certain way. I honestly would have just blocked it off if the layout was wrong, because I thought I broke it for a moment.

p363882-35-lylhjgo.png

WHAT IS HAPPENING

p363882-36-ntglm2x.png

one anime battle later (i killed my enemies first; fireball too strong) and now this path is open
It would've been nice if there was some kind of indication that this was the way to go next. I kinda just guessed.

p363882-37-22ixcqm.png

oh no

wait, where did my fireball go??

p363882-38-esmszks.png

aw c'mon, don't make me shoot her... we were being badasses not even two minutes ago

i'm not even going to try to capture any screenshots of this fight because JESUS CHRIST
All I can say is that it's rad as hell, but at the same time it's an awful lot to as of someone who will die in three lightning bolts. There was at least one scenario in a later phase where I literally could not move fast enough to dodge due to the Booster v2.0 being taken away.

p363882-39-jsbhywa.png

I can grab this now, but apparently that instantly takes me out of the level? It started to show a cutscene of Crystal Girl on the ground, coughing. Decided to softreset before some kind of autosave kicked in.

p363882-40-hmljz90.png

p363882-41-yf0m3o9.jpg

p363882-42-dz1z9rk.png

huh
I guess I'm just a bunny forever now.

Forgot to mention, but there are some text noises after the <FAO when you grab the Energy Element. I think there's a small hiccup in your TSC.

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!
When I was going back to make a copy of a save before the boss, I softreset and decided to fight her again. As it turns out, she does something if [REDACTED].

p363882-43-hvvubit.png

she gave me my anti-furry pill back, too!

p363882-44-uez0zcb.png

i didn't even shoot her this time and she got tired
i just want to be a friend

p363882-45-memajuz.png

NOT FRIENDLY
NOT FRIENDLY

p363882-46-ohvahqs.png

top 10 anime betrayals

p363882-47-qf6enbc.png

at least she's better now, though i would very much prefer not being a crystal

aaand that's it for real!
I think it's only fair that I talk about the length of the level first given that it was my first talking point with Insiemer's Odyssey. It took me roughly two hours to beat it, but this honestly isn't AS severe due to me being a brainlet and not understanding a few of the puzzles. It doesn't help that I was going out of my way to see if I could break the level at times, so that burned a fair amount of time as well.

I really loved the custom content you added, be it tiles, ORGs, or sprites. I think the only thing that disappointed me was the lack of custom enemy sprites. If the critters, bats, and other enemies followed the same crystal aesthetic as everything else, it would have been golden in that department.

The gimmicks you used for each section of the level were generally interesting and well-implemented, though I did have problems with a couple of them. The biggest concern is softlocks, of which I found many. A majority of them come from the section where each enemy death swaps around forcefields, with one of them catching me completely off-guard with how easily I managed to do it. I was also unable to find the hint for the pressure plate puzzle, so I was forced to brute force it.

One of the most interesting parts of the level, however, is the optional boss fight at the very end. Should you choose to ignore the Energy Element and fall down that pit, you go through one of the most elaborate TSC fights I've seen in a while. I'm definitely going to have to remember that tile-based crosshair trick you used the next time I make a TSC boss. While it was nice and flashy, though, I'm not that huge a fan of some of its design elements. The lightning bolts kill you in three hits assuming you found all of the health upgrades, and there are some situations in which you have no chance of dodging due to the Booster v2.0 being taken away. The amount of recovery you can make during the fight is also very limited, with it being a measily four critters in Phase 3.

The amount of possible endings surprised me, and apparently that last ending I got was a secret ending! However, the endings tied to you fighting the girl left me wanting some kind of closure. The "normal" ending has a very short cutscene involving the girl, whereas both of the other endings immediately cut back to the hub. I don't know what could have been shown for the "better" end where you kill the girl, but you probably could have shown a short cutscene where the crystal growths had overtaken Quote for the secret ending.

Up next is X-Calibar's entry, Cursed Lands!

I'm going to apologize in advance if my notes for this one are a little short. I tried it a couple times before, and I was consistently baffled by how to progress. Ultimately decided to give X-Calibar's video a watch if only to understand what to do, so I don't know if I'll be able to point out much.

p363882-48-b7oqphu.png

Pro tip: Increasing fall speed above what it normally is will cause you to outpace HV triggers, leading to situations such as this out-of-bounds one.

p363882-49-gw6zmwx.png

Oh yeah, and apparently you can glitch into here if you jump into the wall just right. You placed a trigger in there in case this happens, but it doesn't have a <MOV anywhere in it to let you escape.

p363882-50-xwqbxdi.png

I'm still VERY unsure how you properly take down this barrier. It seems to just go away once you stand where the deleet used to be.

p363882-51-xxq8rqo.png

Missing a space after the ellipses. Going to refrain from pointing out future cases in interest of saving images.

p363882-52-o7b0bsi.png

Tempted to say Yes to see what would happen, but I also want to beat the level.

p363882-53-d8foeo4.png

I can see what you were going for with this part's NPCs, but the sprites glitch up for some of them.

p363882-54-89h7iy4.png

aaand I slipped off and fell out of the map...

no autosaves, either
I guess I'll call it there.
It's a bit hard to say much given the unfinished and glitchy nature of the level. Upon reading your descriptions and looking at what level is there, I can kind of see what you were going for. Still, the content is barely playable and frought with problems like the one that ended my run.

Going off the video you recorded, though, I can say that the tiling is very impressive for something that uses such a limited tileset. The buildings in the unfinished parts of the level in particular were done really well. Some of the TSC tricks were cool as well, like trying to catch the girl before she falls into the well and however the enemies in the first part work.

Sadly, I think those are the only compliments I can really give Cursed Lands. The lack of substance and polish really hurt it, though don't let that discourage you. From what is there, it makes me hope you'll crank out something better for the next contest (or just something on your own time) so I can see what you can really do.

Last, but not least, we have The Challenge Pyramid by Tpcool!

I admittedly played this one back when the pre-release build was given out, so that might cut a bit into my "initial" reactions.

p363882-55-ehenlv5.png

Well, this myChar wasn't in the pre-release, likely due to a bug. Looks pretty nice, too.

p363882-56-wzy5qt3.png

it's ME

p363882-57-b7cpc6i.png

haha, well
given how i performed in The Raven, i don't know if i qualify...

p363882-58-2fbuo6z.png

see look, even he thinks so

p363882-59-01qu9rj.png

I absolutely LOVE how he has something different to say about each weapon and, later, each combination of weapon and movement option.
also i agree on how the shotgun is amazing

p363882-60-0httkqc.png

pretty much everything these two say is great

p363882-61-9ssnnuq.png

I wanna take a moment in the middle of this bloodbath to say that I like your tilesets and design of the level so far. You've been keeping it nice and varied.

p363882-62-8mfxxmd.png

VICTORY

p363882-63-qdltfip.png

squares are for squares
pyramids are where it's at

p363882-64-2laxo6y.png

I've already beaten the Double Jump map, so I might as well run through the Horizontal Boost map with the Shotgun. Tried it with the Blade specifically because I was told by the scientist not to, and it... didn't go too well.

p363882-65-tak4yse.png

it's DEFINITELY going to go better than the blade did

p363882-66-jkqtht3.png

no

p363882-67-gf5p8rc.png

no level can handle my shotgun power

p363882-68-pz3pvcb.png

Okay, I was under the assumption that these blocks were blocks I could pass through. Probably should've made them look a bit more solid.

p363882-69-knmoamq.png

hella rad

p363882-70-g3s4vss.png

wouldn't happen to be something round and glowy, would it?
Also missing a space after the ellipses.

p363882-71-e5zkyvs.png

me too
making notes for four levels in a row is hard

and with that, the level's over
This was a really fun level to play back when I was taking peeks at the pre-release build, and it was still really fun to play a second time. I guess that's how you can tell you made a good level.

All of the ORGs were very nice, though I kinda wish the victory fanfare for beating a challenge was tied to Megaman like the intro theme was. The enemy sprites were vanilla, but I don't think they hurt the level much, if at all; the custom tiles and the vanilla enemies blended together fairly well.

Both of the level's sections were enjoyable to go through with the Shotgun and Blade, though the Horizontal Boost section was not balanced much with the Blade in mind. From what I've seen from Dunc's stream, there is even a part in the Horizontal Boost section where you can be trapped into a watery death if you chose the Blade. I have yet to try out the Teleport Nemesis variations of the sections, but it's really cool in general how you tailored unique challenges for each weapon and each combination of weapon and movement option.

As for other flaws, I think the movement section's enemies were a bit of a poor choice when combined with the health the player has at the time. Dunc died numerous times in it due to the enemies dealing out very punishing amounts of damage, and I likely enjoyed the section as much as I did due to the absence of fire whirrs; I still don't understand why those glorified fans do 10 damage on contact. Aside from the water deathtrap and the enemy choice, though, I struggle to find anything else to say. With a level designed moreso for multiple playthroughs than a single playthrough, I guess that's to be expected.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2018 at 8:37 AM
Indie game enthusiast
Replying to @SeasonsOfDestiny -
I'm really quite surprised that the first part seems like a problem for everyone.
p363891-0-firstpart1.gif

When I look at this scene, I see a whole lot of enemies guarding something.

p363891-1-firstpart2.gif

When it's destroyed, what's left? A gaping hole... And a Red Crystal. Have to shoot it to proceed. Sometimes more than once due to the multiple Crystals present. Maybe too much red...? Needed some kind of sparkle? Maybe whenever the forcefield is shot, it should react visually?

I guess the biggest problem is I didn't use Cave Story conventions. The Raven's are too aggravating without hearing an invincibility ding sound for one. And the Red Crystal doesn't have a damage sound, plus it may take a few hits before succumbing when there are multiple Crystals there. Still a part of me likes to break convention to force you to think outside the box... Guess this wasn't the time or the way.

I added the "Part : etc etc" descriptors, but I should have made it more visible and used it as a hint. Like:
"Part 2: Eliminating the Horde". So you might recognize, you have to hunt down all the enemies... Instead of "Part 2: Legendary Hero".

I wanted a visual approach to the level, where you'd be thrown into it and have to problem solve to advance... Was going for a more open design, instead of a linear path. Doing something like fetch quests or monster hunting should be a lot less annoying when you can run and jump like a superhero.

Oh yeah, and apparently you can glitch into here if you jump into the wall just right. You placed a trigger in there in case this happens, but it doesn't have a <MOV anywhere in it to let you escape.
I am truly impressed you found that. Did you recognize you could do that? Or was it just an accident?

You can actually just hop out too if you jump where you are standing, just right.
And if you answer no to that event and leave lol... Anyway, that event can normally appear on the map about 1/100th of the time, outside of glitching in there to trigger it manually. Though, again... unfinished...

As for not having much content... it's true I guess, but even the first area hit the TSC and entity limit...
And has anyone seen Ravens actually attack on their own? They are usually pretty silly Sand Zone enemies, but when they can strike without being shot first... And when they are solid. Oh boy.

One more comment... After you get past the initial Red Crystal puzzle, I thought destroying the enemies in town would be a fun little romp. Plenty of health, you can jump like there's no tomorrow, and as you charge in new enemies keep showing up. Takes only a minute to clear them out.

I guess having anyone test it would have helped me eliminate these problems. But, most of all just needed to finish it...
Guess we'll never see what the finished version might look like, probably no interest from others...

EDIT: Oh and as for falling off the map at the start... That was somewhat intentional, though I guess I should have just blocked it off or used a door. You can actually access consoles I was using to test things if you jump off and hug to the right as soon as you start. I really was working on the mod, even at the VERY last minute before turning it in...

Oh, and I should write some reactions to your mod tomorrow... I've played everyone's mods a few times already. Just haven't made notes yet.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2018 at 4:19 PM
Eevee Enthusiast
Replying to @SeasonsOfDestiny -
I'm really quite surprised that the first part seems like a problem for everyone.
p363891-0-firstpart1.gif

When I look at this scene, I see a whole lot of enemies guarding something.

p363891-1-firstpart2.gif

When it's destroyed, what's left? A gaping hole... And a Red Crystal. Have to shoot it to proceed. Sometimes more than once due to the multiple Crystals present. Maybe too much red...? Needed some kind of sparkle? Maybe whenever the forcefield is shot, it should react visually?

I guess the biggest problem is I didn't use Cave Story conventions. The Raven's are too aggravating without hearing an invincibility ding sound for one. And the Red Crystal doesn't have a damage sound, plus it may take a few hits before succumbing when there are multiple Crystals there. Still a part of me likes to break convention to force you to think outside the box... Guess this wasn't the time or the way.

I added the "Part : etc etc" descriptors, but I should have made it more visible and used it as a hint. Like:
"Part 2: Eliminating the Horde". So you might recognize, you have to hunt down all the enemies... Instead of "Part 2: Legendary Hero".

I wanted a visual approach to the level, where you'd be thrown into it and have to problem solve to advance... Was going for a more open design, instead of a linear path. Doing something like fetch quests or monster hunting should be a lot less annoying when you can run and jump like a superhero.

I am truly impressed you found that. Did you recognize you could do that? Or was it just an accident?

You can actually just hop out too if you jump where you are standing, just right.
And if you answer no to that event and leave lol... Anyway, that event can normally appear on the map about 1/100th of the time, outside of glitching in there to trigger it manually. Though, again... unfinished...

As for not having much content... it's true I guess, but even the first area hit the TSC and entity limit...
And has anyone seen Ravens actually attack on their own? They are usually pretty silly Sand Zone enemies, but when they can strike without being shot first... And when they are solid. Oh boy.

One more comment... After you get past the initial Red Crystal puzzle, I thought destroying the enemies in town would be a fun little romp. Plenty of health, you can jump like there's no tomorrow, and as you charge in new enemies keep showing up. Takes only a minute to clear them out.

I guess having anyone test it would have helped me eliminate these problems. But, most of all just needed to finish it...
Guess we'll never see what the finished version might look like, probably no interest from others...

EDIT: Oh and as for falling off the map at the start... That was somewhat intentional, though I guess I should have just blocked it off or used a door. You can actually access consoles I was using to test things if you jump off and hug to the right as soon as you start. I really was working on the mod, even at the VERY last minute before turning it in...

Oh, and I should write some reactions to your mod tomorrow... I've played everyone's mods a few times already. Just haven't made notes yet.

Figured I'd give your reply a reply of my own.
- Regarding the bit about having to kill the Red Crystal to proceed, it's important to keep this in mind: when designing a game, try to take into account what the worst players would do. With the Red Crystal giving no feedback on hit and the solid Crows constantly pushing the player around, it was very difficult to figure out that the Red Crystal was the main target without prior knowledge. As for a potential fix, you could've used an invisible, shootable entity that ran an event on death, with said event playing some kind of sound and subtracting "health" from a <VAR variable.

- Regarding breaking convention, I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing to break convention and do things that Cave Story wasn't necessarily made for. However, you also have to make sure that the convention-breaking things that you're doing are also designed well. If worst came to worst and you couldn't think of a better way to hint at beating that force field obstacle, a simple <PRI'd message could've been enough to tip the player off on what they had to do.

- I think it might just be me having watched the video you made before playing the level, but I don't think Part 2 was all that confusing. When I see enemies and have a ton of weapons, my first instinct as a Cave Story player is to shoot them dead. I did have some problems near the end where the last bits of the horde didn't want to spawn in unless I ran through a certain part of the village, though.

- Going off of your comment on fetch quests and the like, it's starting to sound a bit like you were suffering from scope creep somewhere along the line of making the level. I think that if you were to take focus away from those extra details and move it to fleshing out and finishing the "meat" of the level, you would have done fine.

- Funnily enough, I stumbled across that alcove glitch twice without knowing exactly where I jumped to get into it. I also tried to escape on my own, but I guess I just missed the spot you were talking about both times. Just goes to show how good I am at breaking mods, I guess.

- Don't worry about Part 2 not being fun. When you get passed the more vague ways of destroying some monsters, like that group hiding in the circle of bones, it was kinda fun to laser everything to death while jumping around at the speed of sound. All it really needed was some more telegraphing and polish.

- I mean, there's nothing stopping you from working on and finishing a standalone version of this idea. Doing so would give you much more flexibility with maps, entities, and such, and I feel that a standalone mod would suit the plans you had much more than the limitations of this contest. After seeing the tiling that you had done for those buildings, I'd be lying if I said that I didn't want to see what you could do if you had more tiles at your disposal.

Apr 28, 2018 at 6:40 PM
War criminal
New update has been released: All skipflags now reset after finishing a level, and there's a missile/bomb graphic provided by Seasons! Also now including, the MaGCSL Updater by Miccs, which will hopefully provide an easier means to download updates!

p363897-0-jcpz21.gif

(The new version is 1.11, btw)

EDIT: Alternatively, if you wish to download only the updater, that's cool, too. You can either place it in your mod's folder, or put it in an empty folder and the mod will come to you!
https://drive.google.com/file/d/10pQgSz_890KU5e7Dn4tUiwDr1a2iuC6r/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:
May 8, 2018 at 2:13 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Got all the shinies, unsure if there's anything more to do after that.

Wow did this come out of nowhere :greydroll: I'm mostly certain this must be a record for single map sizes, iirc it wasn't even really possible to make them this large until recently. Despite that, I didn't find it too hard to figure out where to go or where to back/sidetrack to find extra goodies for the most part. The biggest struggle was right at the start, when I had no weapon exp and the entity limit stopped more from spawning, particularly that clunky opening event battle. These and the other minor errors (falling out of maps, potentially missing essential items, being slightly unfinished) do stack up, but overall I think the design philosophy has shown respectable merit. I've always had a thing for open, free-flowing maps, and here they definitely combine with the plot who are you and aesthetics to give a sense of mystic vastness, backed up by a few clever secrets and well-placed jumps. The saves are just frequent enough to prevent excessive drag, and thankfully it only took me a couple of tries to beat the falling block section too so that didn't drag either :v While I've essentially seen all these elements before, this mod manages to combine them all in a slightly off-beat way through a (presumably) fresh outlook, adding some unexpected but welcome variety to the contest.

Managing to create levels accounting for every different weapon combo is laudable, especially since they had to fit into the allotted map limit. The clean graphics and stage design really tie together the challenge mod style. I think the biggest issue I've surmised is that when the difficulty does kick in on a given map, it tends to create a feeling of being outgunned or blindsided, due to a mix of the limitations of the weapons provided and a lot of long jumps onto small platforms or involving wind. Get low on health without knowing what's coming and you might as well start over. This is probably the 'purest' mod in terms of focus on level design though, for how much that counts.

This was sorta interesting once I knew how to proceed. The levels actually left a decent amount of room to work with the physics, although there's little reason to use anything other than the Spur. It's another entry to a contest that's more unfinished than anything. At least this time it was nice to get to see some of the extra incomplete levels.

I was a bit skeptical after the opening, but there are some solid puzzles and event/effect work on display here. The biggest issues are still almost exactly what they were in Shipwrecked; a lot of drawn-out repetition, and awkward enemy spawn ins in places. It's almost even the same final fight again, except with no real heals, less space to move and spawns that are very hard to hit with the weapons provided. On the other hand, the mapping and game flow has definitely cleaned up a bit since then.

I got stuck in this one more than any of the others. It could've done with some more hint of what to do in places, like needing to shoot the red gems to activate them (I thought I had to disable those spikes somehow), or there being a pattern to the button puzzle, or even right at the start of the game that the big crystal isn't background dressing. Like Introspection, some of the battle rooms feel claustrophobic and slightly overmatched against the given weapons. The actual world-switching and progression though are well planned out and satisfying core mechanics, with the biggest highlight definitely being that final battle built entirely around attacks created through TSC. Finally, I get that it's meant to be dialogue-free, but there's not much insight offered into what Magus Girl's dealio is, or what pink dude in purple world... is.

All in all, this has turned out some very interesting results. Good levels were certainly made, and while there aren't many entries again, this is the first contest I've seen where there's no single standout, even by a short way. I don't envy the judges, there's going to be a lot to consider :momo: As for the contest style... sticking all the mods together in one game is kinda neat, but it does chew up a lot of extra time and is always going to have issues with some things breaking. Whatever happens in future it would really be simpler to just make a regular download pack, it's not as though our contests don't already end up taking ages, unless someone wants to come up with extra-fancy mod selector that can run all the .exes externally.

May 8, 2018 at 2:24 PM
War criminal
I am working onto fixing any leftover bugs there could be in the mod as I evaluate the levels, I'm hoping to finally get everything ironed out.
unless someone wants to come up with extra-fancy mod selector that can run all the .exes externally.
I think @Miccs is building something like that, so that can be considered for next year ;)

May 8, 2018 at 5:15 PM
Professional Whatever
oh the different sprite in the dark world is based off of what happens when you go into the dark world in link to the past